Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

2016 Release - Intelligentsia Fletcha Roja
2015 Release - Intelligentsia Los Delirios
2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

Added by BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

#9

Ratings: 7,091 |  Reviews: 1,192

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

My first ever full review. I usually don't do this but I had to for this gem.

Bottled on Nov 15, 2013.

A: Slow pour into my Founders snifter created a small tan head that quickly dissipated. Looks like a thick motor oil. Minimal to no lacing throughout.

S: Coffee hits the nose immediately, with light bourbon and chocolate/espresso right behind. Unbelievable smell that I kept coming back to throughout. Honestly could not get enough.

T: Wow. This absolutely blew me away. When cellar temp, the coffee was at the forefront, but as it warmed became even more complex. Coffee led the way with dark chocolate, roast, and bourbon following close behind, but never overtaking. There is even a hint of vanilla. Mid palate everything just blended and balanced together perfectly. Alcohol becomes present as it warms from cellar temps and creates that hit towards the end like BCBS, but not as aggressive. It's been over an hour and I can still taste it like I just took a sip, unbelievable. Trust me, this one only gets better as it warms. Begin at cellar temp and enjoy the ride.

M: Thick as can be, but so smooth. Coats your mouth and lingers long after your first sip. Low to hardly any carbonation.

O: Honestly, this may be the best beer I have ever had. I can see why there is so much hype, and I am so glad I have a couple more bottles to enjoy. I did a side by side of KBS and BCBCS, with BCBCS as the clear winner. Unbelievable, world class stout.

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 release gifted to me in January by one of the brand/sales managers of my GI distributor when I didn't get a case of it at my store like I was told. Nice gesture which was greatly appreciated. I was saving this to open with a friend or two, but since I shared most of the beer I bought in VT and the beers I bought online from Belgium, I felt like there should be one that I should enjoy myself as a little escape from the World around me.
Poured into an oversized wine glass.

AP: This is one of the blackest liquids I've ever seen. Just deep space jet black. Head originally poured nearly 2" and was fizzling and making noise like Snap, Krackel and Pop. Now it's nothing but a dusting and lacing across the surface and sides. Found a couple small white chunks of sediment floating along the surface, like crystallized or calcified yeast.
AR: Chocolate cake batter, fudge, molasses at the fore along with the alcohol heat with a bit of coffee in the background. Booze soaked dark fruits like fig, plum and raisin as well. Smells really bold and rich.
T: The coffee flavour is secondary to most of the other flavours on this, but it's there. The alcohol, while you can feel it's warmth, is fairly well hidden the the taste and doesn't cut through any of the flavours. Flavours are very rich and decadent. Chocolate, fudge, boozy dark fruits, molasses, rum raisin cake and a bit of vanilla.
M: Despite the fizzing sounds after the pour there was very little carbonation to this, which is fine with me as I like my RIS chewy. This was chewy and fairly full bodied, a bit of a silky feel on the palate. A bit of a lingering slight cloying aspect on the finish, but nothing off putting. otherwise finish is rather clean.
OV: A very good Stout, though not the mind blowing experience others have stated about this beer. Not enough coffee flavour for me, though you can usually cellar high octane brews like this for 6-12+ months, I've heard this one can lose some of it's coffee flavour past 6 months of bottling (this is probably at 11 months right now) so wonder if this is the case here. I've had FBS nearly a year old that tasted no different than one less than a month old, so no excuses for this beer. Very good, but not the coffee infused milk from angels' teets.

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz./650 mL bottle purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, 2012 vintage (bottled 11/12/12, bottle #: 2355), poured into my *** snifter glass, drank 10/5/13 over a supremely pleasant hour

A: 3/3 - black, no clarity, poured with mild-to-moderate carbonation and settled into a tan-brown subtle finger lacing, big alcohol legs (as expected for 14.3%)

S: 11/12 - big caramel, toffee and stone fruit with strong alcohol notes; less chocolate and coffee than expected but don't recall them exceptionally present in the base beer (Night Stalker)

T: 20/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a moderate bitterness - dark chocolate and coffee flavors are present even if not explicit on the nose; in the middle of the mouth, the malt complexity and barrel-aged qualities perfectly predominate; --> toffee, caramel, figs and stone fruit; aftertaste is an admixture of barrel-aged and chocolate/coffee qualities that persist for 5-10 seconds and invites another-and-another sip

M: 5/5 - big chewy body, complex malts, pleasant alcohol burn, mild-to-moderate carbonation appropriate carbonation and pleasantly maintained throughout drinking

O: 10/10 - the BCBS series may the best barrel-aged imperial stouts and this beer is close to perfect at ~ 1 year; the only real detractor, I think, is the lack of advertised coffee, which, I suspect, is due to decay in the flavor/aroma over time; nevertheless, like the base beer and BCBS, this beer is worth every penny and one that I'll purchase whenever I can get my hands on it --> highly recommended!

TOTAL = 49/50

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
Beer rating: 4.68 out of 5 with 7,091 ratings