Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

2016 Release - Intelligentsia Fletcha Roja
2015 Release - Intelligentsia Los Delirios
2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

Added by BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

Ratings: 7,028 |  Reviews: 1,185

4.05/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle share. Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A: No head no lacing just a pitch black monster.

S: Bourbon. Roasty goodness.

T: Bourbon. Dark cherry some coffee though I wished for much more considering this was the coffee stout. If this were BCBS I'd be all for it. Just think it misses the mark with the coffee. Still absolutely delicious. Alcohol warmth comes through at the end which is not surprising considering the ABV. But I like that.

M: This is in my mind the most perfect mouthfeel for a beer. Thick, heavy, full bodied, silky smooth.

O: Fantastic beer just wanted more coffee out of it, dang nabbit. But was a pleasure to drink anyways.

3.5/5  rDev -23.6%

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

3.5/5  rDev -23.6%

4.46/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle.

Pitch black color, mild beige head. Smell is a mixture of bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Not too overpowering though, they all blend together very well. The taste is also a nice blend, but to me there isnt quite enough of a coffee flavor. Its there but real subdued. The flavors are all there and its definitely complex, but nothing stands out as "wow" to me. The bourbon isnt huge either, but it definitely overwhelms the coffee. Full bodied, low carbonation.

Overall a very good beer but i just wish the coffee was more pronounced. I'd say i prefer original BCBS to this.

EDIT: my above review is of over a year old version...recently had the 2013 version and the coffee was definitely more prominent. Bumping up the rating accordingly.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1st Review:
Glad to see this beer is back near the top again. Remains one of my all-time favorites.
It is so hard to come by here in the Northeast. When I'm in Chicago I search for it all around the area and even have stores reserving it for me when possible. I paid the $25 checked bag fees just to bring this back home to share with my beer buds.

2nd Review:
This ranks up there with Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Proprietor's Stout. Got to share this awesome Coffee Stout at a Alchemist Heady Topper tasting that I did in Chicago on 6/5. After the Heady Topper was gone, the guests dragged out and a couple of 12 ounce bottles of the Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Shout and a bomber of the Bruery's Black Tuesday. I rated both beers the same score, and both were top of the line brews, but I would have to give the edge to Black Tuesday. But I might have flipped the edge if I had the Black Tuesday first. Both were just a total joy to consume; especially with all my new friends that came to share my Heady Topper Tasting.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.