Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) | Goose Island Beer Co.

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged 2 years in 23-year old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 10-07-2010

4.7

Ratings: 1,372 |  Reviews: 366
4.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very surprised that this beer tasted like it did at 5.5 years old. Didn't feel tired or papery oxidation. Any that was there complimented the dark dried fruit character of the beer. A fantastic liquid.

Shared this with a few friends. I Could not imagine how to make this beer better even after 5 years. Pours jet black with no head. Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had. bourbon and dark fruit make up the nose. Covers the mouth like melted butter and stays around. Dark fruit and chocolate notes but the bourbon flavor shines. Still a lot of bourbon even after age. This beer is so velvetly smooth. My only regret is that I couldn't drink it fresh.

Comparing this beer and rare 15 isn't a fair comparison due to the age difference. But for the sake of doing it anyway. Rare 15 is much hotter as to be expected. Similar dark fruit and chocolate under tones. But the rare 10 bourbon flavor is way better as well as rare 10 being a lot more smooth. Rare is all around better even after 5 yrs.

4.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

H

4.88/5  rDev +3.8%

4.94/5  rDev +5.1%

4.73/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.94/5  rDev +5.1%

I'll start with two disclaimers: I never had this fresh, and am not QUITE as huge a fan of regular BCBS as many people (it's one of my favorites, but I typically like at least one or two variants more per year). With that being said:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best non-adjunct BA stout I've ever had. BCBS was already right up there (I could never decide whether I preferred BCBS or Parabola, but BCBS '14 clarified that I was a GI boy), but this takes what's great about regular, and amps it up. The mouthfeel is better and creamier, the beer itself is extremely black (blacker than BCBS), and the finish of the beer goes on for days and days (seriously, the first taste didn't blow me away, but the finish did. I literally said "wow" out loud, when it was still lingering for what seemed like forever). Hides the alcohol really well, but this is a 5 year old beer, so that might be part of the reason. The other thing I noted while drinking (shared with my girlfriend, but as usual, it turned into a night of me pouring into my snifter, and drinking the bomber alone!) is how easy/enjoyable it is to drink. It's not my favorite BCBS taste-wise, but it just slides through your mouth like nothing. Awesome.

I'm hoping to grab a bottle of Rare '15 to do a proper comparison (only had one pour at FoBAB, and I don't think that's enough), but I'm really eager to do so. My first impressions of the side-by-side would be that the '15 is possibly more complex, but the '10 is more well-rounded.

I still think Prop '13 is my favorite Bourbon County, all-time, but you can't go wrong with this beer. I'm glad GI decided to bring it back, even if it's in a slightly different form.

4.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had at a share along with 15 Rare. Wow did it hold up. Perfectly balanced and smooth. All the flavors were blended perfectly.

4.57/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.51/5  rDev -4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Definitely a pretty girl. Jet black. Brown head. Aroma was warm, bourbon, chocolate truffle type of beer. Where did we drink this, March Madness 2011? Or was it 2012? Eh, still have one more.

Taste again, pvw barrels seem to be hotter than some others, I know there is all this name nonsense, but really that is the most discernable thing for my palate. Its still a great beer, but there are lots of them and I don't see how this is really any better than the base bcs beer. The marketing behind it is genius.

4.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark as night....smell of bourbon and chocolate, flavors started predominantly with raisin, then evolved into tobacco, and finished strong with molten chocolate bourbon brownie... Exceptionally tasty, but may have lost a little concentration over the years...

4.84/5  rDev +3%

4.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.98/5  rDev +6%

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) from Goose Island Beer Co.