Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) | Goose Island Beer Co.

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
gooseisland.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged 2 years in 23-year old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 10-07-2010

4.7

Reviews: 362 | Ratings: 1,360

The smoothest beer I have ever had. If I could drink nothing but this forever, I would be happy man. Take the best flavors from any BA Stout you had, add extra smoothness and you have RARE.

4.85/5  rDev +3.2%

I was lucky enough to attend a Bourbon County bottle share last night where we had every variant present.
This variant was my second favorite of the night just behind Vanilla! I had this beer alongside a regular 2013 bcbs just to compare. Rare is so smooth and more than any other bourbon county variant I have tried you could REALLY taste that pappy barrel. Right at the end, so bright and strong...I was not expecting that. I have read reviews where people say they either a) can not differentiate from regular bcbs or b) it isn't that much better....let me just say it is! These are obviously 1st world beer problems I am referring to but man what a beer! It is still at the top of its game!

4.67/5  rDev -0.6%

****400th Review / 100th Rating****

Happy to tick off this milestone tonight. This is a big, big beer, and I'm thrilled to finally tick it off. Poured from a bomber into a Trillium tasting tulip.

Appearance: Thick black motor oil. No head, but a tiny tiny crown around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Hints of honey and the chocolate on the nose too. Actually scratch that. Lots of honey on the nose. Can’t say I was expecting that on the nose of a bourbon aged stout.

Taste: Chocolate, bourbon, sweetness in a light honey type of way. Pretty different from the regular BCBS, mostly in the nature of the sweetness more than anything. The honey flavors don’t stick around forever though, after the first few sips they fade away. Definitely pretty boozy. Bourbon flavors get stronger as it warms up. Little bit of dark fruit flavors, possibly from the age of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Typical for the style. Thick, sticky, lowish carbonation.

Overall: Very nice stuff. Different, but I’m not sure it’s significantly nicer than the base beer.

Tasted @ 15th Anniversary Goose Island Wrigleyville - Benefit for Bodhi. Best beer event ever.

Tasted after Bourbon County Brand Stout, Proprietors, Templeton Rye, Buffalo Trace, and lastly RARE!

Overall Perfection for all traits...

Appearance: Dark as night, thin mocha head and produced from being on tap.
Smell: Roasted malts, bourbon, not at all boozy and a well mannered 13%.
Taste: Same as the smell. I would compare this to aging the last five years of BCS and blending all of the best bottles together. Not as complex or distinct as I imagined but overall perfect.
Mouthfeel: Thick, viscous, creamy, smooth and covers mouth with immense flavor.

Overall: Really happy I got to try the best BCS bottle ever made. Not sure if anyone should justify the hundreds of dollars its going for on ebay or whatever or even the $75 it sold for originally. Aging a BCS Brand Stout for a while in perfect cellar conditions can stand up to this beer no problem in my opinion.

4.74/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle #4087

Appearance: Semi-vigorous pour into a snifter yields tan head over black. The 3/4 inch head dissipates rather quickly leaving a ring that hangs around.

Smell: Bitter chocolate, milk chocolate, bourbon (with the requisite oak, vanilla and caramel), dark roast coffee. Later, as it warms a bit, cherry and hay.

Taste: Chocolate, dark dried fruit, coffee, vanilla, and, oh yes, there is definitely heat from the bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Nice, considering the age.

Overall: So glad I finally opened one and even more glad I have another! This is a special, special beer. I will try to share the other one. ;)

Review/rating #1000

4.93/5  rDev +4.9%

Held on to this one for a few years and cracked it at a special date. I'm a big fan of regular Bourbon Country, so I've got a pretty good handle on how the regular stuff tastes.

This is a different animal.

Pours as thick and lifeless as you can expect, but after that, it is damn near perfection. Chocolate, smoke, heat, perfume, spice, vanilla, coffee, wood, caramel, time, delicacy, velvet. There is just so much complexity in this, it's hard to properly describe.

I'll have to use a phrase a brewer once told me describes exceptional beers.

"It tastes like memories."

Beautiful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle #6554, 4 oz pour into tulip tasting glass.

A: Black with a light dark brown foam. Foam dissipated rather quickly after pour.

S: Tons of chocolate on the nose followed by powerful scent of bourbon.

T: What I picked up on the nose gets amplified on the palate. Starts with big chocolate and then the rich bourbon flavor starts to build and come into its own. This is such an excellent fusion of flavor.

M: Medium body. Beer leaves its mark on your palate and the flavors persist long after a sip.

O: This was one of the finest imp. stouts I have ever had. I wish I had a more sophisticated bourbon palate to better detect the intricacies of the barrel aging. Regardless, this was like eating a box of chocolates, all of which were filled with pappy!

4.86/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Shared by a couple new beer buddies for Dan's birthday. Thanks to Mike for bringing this one out. Glad to finally be able to review this beer. Poured into a Hunahpu's snifter and shared with 2 other people

A - Viscous thick beer that pours dark as night leaving little to no head. Didn't expect there to be much but this one coats the glass a good bit

S - Smell is strong notes of bourbon followed by chocolate vanilla oaky hints that meld together. The dominate nose here is the bourbon.

T - Taste follows the nose except the bourbon is not as dominate. The smells have blended together into flavors where there is no one dominate taste. 3 and a half years and a properly cellared rare has made this into a fantastic taste. Chocolate bourbon coffee with hints of Vanilla and an oaky after taste. Not too much heat, at least compared to the Remy's Pappy we opened before

M - Mouthfeel was spot on for a beer this old, not too thin and not too thick. Still pretty full bodied with very minimal carbonation.

O -No oxidation here. It makes me want to seek one out now. Thanks again Mike. Happy that I am able to tick this.

4.63/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date 11/19/10; bottle number 391.

A: Jet black color. Almost no head; minimal dark brown that quickly fades.

S: Bourbon, coffee and chocolate aromas.

T: malty-chocolate, bourbon, cherry and coffee blend together seamlessly. Oak noe on the tail.

M: Dense with no carbonation, yet smooth and w/ barely a touch of ETOH.

O: Spectacular beer and experience w/ some good friends. Worth every bit of its acclaim.

4.68/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bomber into tulip glass.

A- gives a whole new meaning to viscous beer. Pours a motor oil black with no head. I wish it had some head but whatever.

S- i can smell this beer from across the rooms. Tons of bourbon sweetness. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel.

T- mmmm, has a lot of bourbon taste up frint. Real strong sweet bourbon. Unlike any bourbon flavor i've ever had. Then it switches to a lot of chocolate and it swirls aroubd my mouth. A good amount of heat from the alcohol. The aftertaste has a little bit of vanilla but the chocolate and bourbon definitely take over this beer. In a good way.

M- thick. Extremely thick and velvety. Hot as well my mouth feels hot on the aftertaste.

O- an outstanding beer even three years after bottled! The flavors are so intense on this. It's gunna take me a while to get through this beer because i want to savor every bit of it.

4.83/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a classic oil black Bourbon County with a brown ring.

There’s tons of oak, coconut, chocolate.

The beer follows with those Bourbon County notes, but it is surprisingly different. All the flavors are beautifully melded together. The beer is absurdly smooth.

The only knocks at it are a lighter mouthfeel than the regular Bourbon County. Then there’s almost a molasses, tar bitterness from the middle palate and on.

A beautiful beer, although I possibly liked King Henry, Vanilla and Proprietor’s at a Bourbon County Share.

4.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle #3205 poured into a 22oz snifter

Appearance: Pours black with less than a finger of a mocha colored head that dissipates quickly to a somewhat thick collar a small wispy patch of foam coating. Body is completely opaque.

Smell: Chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, mild oxidation, toasted coconut, caramel and slight booziness.

Taste: Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, roasted malt, slight smoke, fudge, hints of dark fruit and coconut. Big malt sweetness throughout, but is balanced just enough by some of the roasted and smokey notes.

Mouthfeel: Fully bodied with a thick creamy mouthfeel and low to medium levels of fine carbonation. Booze is hidden incredibly well as this just goes down stupidly smooth. Only trace of the 13% ABV is a gentle warming sensation in the throat after the finish.

Overall: Simply put, this is an amazing beer. I never had the opportunity to try it fresh, so can't compare it, but other than some slight oxidation, this is still holding up extremely well at 3.5 years. Is it the best beer ever? Probably not, but it's still absolutely worth seeking out.

4.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber in trade from zathrus. Huge thanks goes out. Bottle hand numbered 4,554 with a hand written bottle date of 11/19/2010, poured into a Firestone Walker Barrelworks Teku glass on 3/15/14. Pours viscous black with a half finger of dark brown head. Aroma is big vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, coconut, wood, graham crackers, toffee, caramel. Kind of smells like vanilla bourbon rolos. Pretty awesome. Flavor is so smooth with chocolate bourbon, graham crackers, vanilla, coconut, caramel, oak. Finish is long with strong notes of vanilla, coconut, graham crackers, and caramel. Viscous and lucious mouthfeel, low medium carbonation. Extremely smooth and while the bourbon notes are there, this isn't super boozy at all. Just awesome. The main difference I see with this relative to regular BCS is the heightened coconut and graham cracker flavors. Definitely lives up to the hype, but not sure there's a reason to seek this out again when I can find BCS each year for much less. With that said, so glad I tried it once. A world class beer that deserves its reputation.

4.54/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I saved my 700th review for a truly special beer.

This poured a noticeable thickness with a tawny brown color that had a light edge and a fleeting head. The head built quickly enough and had a relative solid froth but ebbed away suddenly.

The aroma had tons of mellow bourbon, oak barrel, chocolate, fudge, some marshmallow and a nice coffee roast.

The flavors are so thick and full, with chocolate and roasted coffee, lots of creamy bourbon, a touch of woody barrel, molasses and a deep caramel malt.

I have only given one other five on a category but this is so unbelievably smooth that it is deserved. The feel is like velvet and I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable. This coats the mouth and throat with a warm film that is very satisfying.

Beyond the hype this is truly special, delicious and overall a Top 10 in the world.

4.69/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rob shared this 22oz bottle at our whale tasting yesterday, 7/13/2013. Poured into a BCBS snifter.

Smelling this beer reminds me of regular BCS but on steroids. Very strong nose that has a strong, strong vanilla quotient to it. Lots of roasty coffee and chocolate to go along with it. A good bit of bourbon in the nose.

The appearance of the beer itself is indistinguishable from regular BCS. Yet, it is the same slick, viscous motor oil that actually comes with a nice 1cm mocha head that slowly dissipates. No lacing to be found.

When I do get around to drinking this beer, all I can say that it is decadent. Perhaps its just the aging, but this beer is so thick and creamy. The vanilla here is much more present than in the BCBVS, oddly. A good bit of bourbon flavour without the heat, lots of chocolatey malts of caramel, toffee, molasses. A bit of coconut. Basically regular BCBS on steroids. The mouthfeel on this beer is even more creamy than the other BCBS variants we tasted tonight and this is probably due to both the extended aging in the PvW barrels and the fact that this beer is now 3 years old.

Creamy decadent beer. Rare. Goose Island. That is all that needs to be said. Worth trying at least once, no question about it. And it's worth the trouble. I would like to try a 2010 BCBS at some point to see what the difference is (e.g. is it the 3 years of age on this beer, or is it the Pappy barrels? Or just the 'Rare'?), but this one far outstrips the BCBVS that we had right after this one. Thanks a lot Rob, for sharing this treat and for hosting such a legendary tasting.

Re-reviewed 2/22/2014; #1 in the BCBS Variant lineup tonight, 2/22/2014. Poured into an original Bourbon County Brand Stout snifter. To be honest, this is not what I remember it as reviewed above. Once the beer warms up a bit, I get that nice umami-soy flavor that is also chocolate fudgey decadent, but it just seems to be missing something from the first time I had it. There are also some notes of oxidation, almost a little bit of off-flavours that detract from this a bit. Mouthfeel is still the same as is the nose, but in terms of flavour, I would highly recommend drinking your Rares now unless you are the sole owner of your bottle and have cellared it properly since its release. I'm going to keep the score reflective of the first time I had this beer- Thanks again Rob!

4.6/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a great trade with Evan! Bottle #7,397. An aggressive pour produced a pitch black body with almost no head. Only a brief caramel-colored ring and very minimal lacing. The nose is amazing and unique. Tons of chocolate fudge and bourbon up front, along with hints of vanilla, wood, licorice, cocoa nibs, Port wine, dark fruit, tobacco, and black cherries. The taste is incredibly rich and unique. I'm not familiar with Pappy Van Winkle, but it has definitely imparted a different bourbon character than I've ever tasted. Huge chocolate fudge notes along with hints of vanilla, oak, molasses, dark fruits, caramel, toffee, cocoa, licorice, chocolate covered raisins, and tobacco. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, with all the flavor from the booze, but with virtually no heat. Rich and velvety with a creamy, subtle warming finish. Overall, this lived up to the hype. If it would have had more roast character it would have been nearly perfect.

4.99/5  rDev +6.2%

This is certainly the best BA stout I've ever had. People saying this is falling off just are encountering bad bottles at this point. I've had the 08 BCBS as well, which is very fudgy. The Rare is just as fudgy but with a balancing booziness that complements this beer. Thick, rich, and full of baker's chocolate, light roast, load of vanilla, and plenty of bourbon. This is easily the best BCBS I've had. I don't think Proprietor's compares personally. I would still seek this beer out if you find someone who doesn't warm your first born in exchange. What a treat.

4.6/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle #11344. Shared 4 ways. Reviewed from notes.

Motor oil black with a dark tan head that builds modestly before quickly receding to an imovable collar. Reforms nicely on swirling. Alcohol legs also evident on the swirl.

Rich and pronounced vanilla, coconut, oak, liquorice bullets and chocolate fudge, with hints of dry roast leavening the richness nicely.

Integration of barrel and base beer sublime. Big-time sweetness initially with massive tarry choc-caramel slice and barrel notes, but finishes slightly drier as the roast asserts.

Thick, velvety, luscious. Just adequate, silky smooth carbonation. Hints of ABV but they're wanted. Perfect.

Can not think of another example of a base beer that was absolutely made for the barrel in the way that this is. Uncanny. Only reason I can't give this a perfect score is because I'd prefer more roast to balance out the sweetness.

4.23/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Stout is an enormous, delicious, autolysed, ashy imperial stout. I had this at the Goose Island event at Meridian Pint in DC a few months ago.

A: Dark black colour. No head, presumably because it's old. 4

S: Bourbon aroma as well as an extremely string Vegemite aroma from autolysed yeast 3.5

T: Extremely malty and dark with lots of autolysed yeast and ash. Not overpowering. Very woody finish with a little brown sugar. So big. Really nice. 4.5

M: Chewy with low carbonation. 4.5

O: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island Brewing Company Rare Bourbon County Brand Stout, stout aged in bourbon barrels (aged for 2 years in 23-year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels)

, bottle number 3116. I forgot when I bought this, but very few arrived locally, and I never saw one for sale. Luckily, I saw Tyler from Zipp's when he had one left. I hadn't planned on spending $40 or more on a single bottle, but he offered, and I couldn't decline. I'm a sucker that way…sigh…

So, I've been sitting on it, for a landmark beer. Maybe review #1000 on this blog would work? So, I calculated how many of my post weren't beer reviews and came up with the number 31, which may or may not be accurate. And I waited for post #1031, until I got on a tear with those birthday beers, and quickly surpassed that number. At my birthday celebration, Matthew J. suggested that it's prime is coming, since the base beer was brewed in 2008. So, we're at or past 5 years for this.
But it says on the label: "Develops for up to 5 years in the bottle." Well, when was it bottled? I bought it 3 years ago, when it was new. It doesn't say: "develops for 5 years from the brewing date." Bottled on 11/19/2010. We're at just over 2 1/2 years. Let's drink it.

Thick black coloring, slim toasted brown head, starts big, settles quickly. Vast expanse of empty void, a null set.

Aroma: sweet, rich bourbon, with vanilla overtones. cherry and whiskey notes over-ride, dominate, stand tall above. It's all bourbon, baby. Don't need any ice.

Taste: Mmmm. Thick, rich, delicious, plenty of bourbon flavors still on top of the tongue. Ridiculously delicious. So many layers of caramel and dark rum, a little anise, whoa…boom, pow! yeah….huge, slick, sick, and yummy.

Let's see watt the label tells us: "This stout was aged for over two years in the finest barrels Goose Island has used in it's 18 years of bourbon-barrel aging beers. A true rarity, savor and share with only those you hold dear, as it will never be made again. Cheers!"

So, I held on to this to drink on my own, so I can write these notes, but I've got Rollie the Cat, and his pal (and mine) Sonny Boy the Cat. They don't drink beer, though, which is best for me.

I'm barely halfway done with the bottle, and it's richness and deliciousness hasn't even faded or gotten close to dying down. Dense, this, and delectable. Deep and amazing.

Got this one in under the radar, apparently. So good, so incredible.

4.89/5  rDev +4%

I am so lucky to add this to my list of beers I have tried.
This is an amazing example of what can be done with the art of brewing, and aging a beer in bourbon barrels.

The beer pours a very dark brown, looking just like bourbon county stout looks.

The smell is a strong spice-filled bourbon. To me, it just really looks and smells like Bourbon County. The taste is where it just goes to a whole new level.

When you first sip this beer, it seems as if the Bourbon taste is about to kill you.
But then it just gets so smooth.
Such a rich complex taste.

Hunaphu is the only other Imperial Stout that I would rate on the same level.

4.78/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz, Bottle # 1764, Bottled:11/10/10
Lost Abbey TEKU

***This was supposed to be 1,000, but better late than never.***

A: Pitch black color. Reddish hues on edges. Carbonation is minimal. Dark tan bubbles, not really head.

S: Smells so epic. Tons of vanilla and toffee. Roast. Dark chocolate candies. Fudge brownie. Light booze. Molasses.

T: Dark chocolate. Vanilla. Smooth as hell bourbon. Toffee and caramel. Dark fruits. Finish is pretty interesting. Long bourbon and dark chocolate.

M: Full bodied. Round as hell.

4.54/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from the bottle into a small snifter with many people at Churchkey for the Goose Island event.

Not a good ideal pour or light enough to judge the beers quality, but based on other BCBS brews it's about the same, perhaps even lighter with a very dark walnut brown and a faint light tan collar presented.

The bouquet is exquisite, diverse with many characters, and ones that blur the line for beer and whiskey aging. Molasses, black licorice thickness. Some praline like candy and there is a huge amount of tobacco warmth and incredible barrel notes of oak and wood on this. It smells like a barrel room literally, with the wood angle going from oak, cedar and cigar box. Stunning nose.

The palate comes though as a bit of a shock, mostly because of the mouthfeel. Strangely light bodied, and not that coating, but luckily plenty of backbone and classic roasty characters and the flavors still come through. Felt strangely flat in a way, but the flavors really carry. Large tasting cigar smoke and tinderbox wood. Molasses and sweetness come with a good balance, and barrel charring to match.

Overall it's classic bourbon county, and amped up with incredible tobacco and barrel whiskey char, but it feels like the beer is not at it's pinnacle. I feel after having this while it is incredibly impressive that I missed this beer at its prime. Either way, it is still truly wonderful.

4.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottle opned on 8.23.13
Bottle # 975

A - Pours a midnight black with a nice dark brown head that gracefully fades to the edges.

S - Lovely! Whiskey - a touch of sweetness. Hints of caramel, vanilla, chocolate - Crazy!

T - Hits you in stages - whiskey, chocolate, caramel, vanilla.

D - Good carbonation with a heavy body. Sweet and booze.

O - Perfection in a glass. My 35th Birthday treat, but I couldn't drink this after the Hommage and waiting for a friday was a good thing. Loved this beer.

4.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz. bottle poured into a Bourbon County Snifter, split the bottle with Davey101. Bottled on 11/19/10 Bottle Number 3302. Huge thanks to kdmcguire10 for the bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black with a 1/2" tan head that recedes to a nice cap and leaves a whole lot of nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Vanilla,bourbon, and mocha/chocolate all balanced very well in a noticeably complex aroma.

Taste: Rich diversity of flavor starting with barrel character vanilla and bourbon all layered on top of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. You could say that the vanilla was slightly more forward than the other major flavors but not dramatically. The flavor is so deep an so balanced and although you can still taste the bourbon it was not as "Hot" as regular BCBS, in fact it was not as "hot" as the BCBVS from 2010 that I had last week, and I found the vanilla character of the Rare to be more enjoyable than the BCBVS.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and very lush, yet it did not coat the palate.

Overall: A beer that I did not honestly expect to be as good as it's widely known reputation; however, it really was exceptional and very different from any other BA Stout that I've tried. An incredible beer that I never thought I'd ever try, so thanks again to Kris.

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) from Goose Island Beer Co.