Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 67 | Ratings: 451
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the brewery.

Black coffee in appearance and a creamy off-white head. The chocolate notes are obvious and most importantly with this one just a hint of the peanut butter flavor toward the end. I was a bit nervous with this one because of the peanut butter, but was nicely balanced, kudos on that. At 30 IBU, like the Gutterpup, it was not very bitter at all. Overall was very smooth with a nice sweetness.

I thought the Peanut Porter is a cool idea for a beer and it worked quite well at Willoughby Brewing. The beer pours a nearly opaque dark brown color with tan head that left a spotty lace. The smell is bolstered by chocolate and peanut butter. There was also some roast and espresso. The taste mirrors the smell. Certainly can taste a peanut buttercup to start followed by roast and coffee. The mouthfeel is medium body with smooth carbonation. Overall a very unique and tasty beer.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

From growler to standard pint...

A: Impenetrable black with a finger of light brown head. Very good lacing down the sides and head retention is solid.

S: Amazing. Smells just like its namesake, the Peanut Butter Cup. Lots of peanut butter, chocolate, and just a bit of coffee roast. Smells absolutely delicious. Spectacular.

T: Lots of roasted coffee, creamy peanut butter, and some cocoa. Coffee is very well-integrated here, with a much more subtle, luxurious flavor profile than some other coffee porters I have had which were harsh. Very well integrated flavors. Highly sessionable at that. Great.

M: Full bodied but with only moderate carbonation. Superbly creamy mouthfeel. It's complex and full flavored, but not cloying or sticky in the least. Very good.

O: Truly an achievement. This could have been an overly sweet, syrupy mess. But Willoughby Brewing has crafted a fine porter, with loads of flavor but plenty of balance. And all that at a relatively light ABV. The smell on this is just perfect. And the taste is very nearly. A master work of a beer, interesting and delicious. Well done.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at the Brewery, The name of this "Almost" scared me away. But the name also "intrigued" me. I was pleasantly surprised. Poured Black, with a small foamy head. Aroma was Pure Chocolate and Dark Coffee Beans. Taste was the same, a blast of Dark coffee, Chocolate, roasted malt....very smooth, and not too sweet. I didn't taste peanut butter till the finish, which I think was a perfect place to be. Nice job. Wish I brought my growler.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had at the restaurant

A-Black (no shit) with a nice tan head that appeared on the creamy side. a little bit of lacing

S-Peanut butter, chocolate and coffee. they're all here! the peanut butter really intrigued me. smelled very pleasing.

T/M-MMM, a medium-heavy body to me (to best of my knowledge). a little carbonation and pretty creamy. tasted of coffe first, then came the sweet chocolaty peanut butter (homer gurgle). this was fantastic

O-I really enjoyed this beauty. will totally grab a growler of it.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a dark cola like color with a slight deep dark khaki color head which quickly goes away. The aroma is of coffee and roastiness along with a hint of chocolate. The taste starts with a nice dark coffee flavor that plays over a roasted malt. In the back end you get a nice mellow peanut butter flavor. It is not a big over powering flavor but a mellow smooth flavor. The mouthfeel is properly carbonated and not too thin. Overall it was a good beer, it was interesting but something I would try again.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade... thanks man! Enjoyed during Sunday football.

Growler showed up in perfect condition. Still tons of carbonation. I couldn't wait to try a peanut butter cup porter, I always wondered if a peanut butter porter would be any good. It looks like I can see actual peanut butter on the bottom of the growler... oh boy I'm excited!

Pours a nice dark brown color. Average sized head. Nice looking beer.

Smell is a lot of coffee right off the bat. Also some peanut butter and chocolate smells.

Awesome taste. The peanut butter is there, but definitely not overpowering. Very well integrated with the coffee and porter tastes, and some nice nuttyness.

Starts with average mouthfeel. It gets very creamy and nice to drink as it warms. I prefer it after it's out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Overall, very good beer. Glad I got to try it. Wishing it was easier for me to get.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%

opaque brown with plenty of fizz. nice tan head with mild rentention. sticky on the glass. smell is still coffee dominant, like the base beer. though peanut butter takes a close second and chocolate nutty flavors bring up the rear. Taste follows the nose spot on. Dominant coffee with with a peanut butter cub flavor on the palette. slightly chewy from the fizz, though also light to med bodied. good flavor in here, a lot going on from 3 simple flavors that compliment each other very well. As it warms, PB comes out to play more...mixes very well with their Railway Razz.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap at the brewery yesterday (9/6/2011) while I watch the Indians get pummeled by the Tigers.

Poured into a 4 oz tasting glass. Not as much as I would typically like for a review, but there it is.

A: Opaque black, small tan colored head. The small head was likely due to the shape of the tasting glass, which was like a fishbowl and full to the brim.

S: Coffee notes dominate, with roasted malts and a hint of chocolate in the background.

T: Coffee up front in a huge, but not overwhelming, way. I didn't get much peanut or peanut butter flavor on the back end like I have seen other people talking about. Dark roasted malts kick in after, with a pleasant dry finish.

M: This beer was a mouthfeel stud. I say that because the delightful upfront coffee flavor was wiped away by the carbonation and malts, but it didn't leave a lingering coffee aftertaste like other coffee beers I've had. A+ on this category.

All in all a great, relatively unique beer.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

We went to a wedding in Willoughby and I had to hit the brewery up the next day. So I made my wife come along too... She was my ride, so I guess I had to.

Anyway, I'd had this beer at a beer fest and remember loving it, but not remembering much else because I was already quite intoxicated when we hit this table up. I remember being like "holy shit, I've always wanted to try a peanutbutter infused porter or stout" and holy shit, there it was.

So I got a growler of it. I had intended on drinking it over the course of a few days, but once I tasted it I couldn't stop. It was amazing. The appearance was a good example of the style, nothing exceptional; just a cloudy dark brown bordering on black and some dark tan-brown head. The aroma, on the other hand, was freaking amazing. I practically soiled myself with excitement. And when I say practically I mean 'almost'... kind of, just don't ask them about the stain in the seat.

The taste was exceptional, coffee hitting first and finishing with peanutbuttery goodness. The dark roasted malts played well over the infused flavors.

It's more than an hour to drive back out there, but I'm looking for excuses.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

I'm editing my review as I just figured out that I had reviewed the wrong beer. I received 2 growlers and they were mismarked, so I received an excellent surprise when this great porter was the one I was looking for.

Received in a recent trade. C'mon, like anyone out there doesn't want to try a beer called Peanut butter cup. It almost sets itself up for failure unless it can deliver.

A- Very dark, little to no light. Decent lacing, nice dark mocha colored head.

S- Perfect coffee smell, some chocolate and roast, not much peanut butter in the nose.

T- This is a wonderful porter. The peanut butter comes through nicely after the roasty coffee flavor. Very well balanced and I would definitely love to try this one again.

M- Perfect carbonation very nice mouthfeel, just thick enough.

O- Thanks Brigadier for getting this one for me! A wonderful porter that delivers on it's delicious promise.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

My wife was in Cleveland and was going to the Willoughby Brewing Company so I checked their website and saw this beer listed. I told her that she had to bring back a growler to NJ and voila!

It kept good carbonation on the trip home and raised a nice mocha-colored head on top top of the dark brown body. One smell and you can get the coffee and the peanut butter. One would think they'd clash but they somehow work in harmony in both the nose and the tongue. The best way to describe what you're tasting is to think about spreading peanut butter on some whole grain toast and dip it into some espresso and eat. But don't use the creamy stuff, use the natural peanut butter without all the oil. That's the only way I can describe the taste.

The tongue gets a ton of bitter, but that relaxes as it warms. The body is about right for a porter, maybe a little thin. You'd expect a thicker beer from something with peanut butter in it.

Major props to this brewery for attempting something so radical and pulling it off. This beer is funky, but yummy. Make sure you stop by to get some yourself when you're in the Cleveland area.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

I had this on-tap at the brewery. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a little light coming through at the edges. There is a thin layer of tan head that leaves a ring around the glass.

Smell: Roasty coffee with peanut butter. There is a mild sweetness as well.

Taste: Bitter roasty coffee up front with the peanut flavor more in the background. Mildly sweet with dark chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild, smooth carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall: I thought this was a very nice and interesting beer. The peanut flavor was well done. It was definitely there, but didn't completely overpower everything else.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to jale for sharing this. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass at our Anniversary Party pre-event.

Pours a very dark brown color with a good tan head that persisted for a bit. Slight lacing as it went down into a thin cap. The nose is just as it was described -- a good amount of chocolate with peanut butter backing. Really interesting. Some mild malt presence in the background bringing some roast forward. The flavor doesn't hit as hard on the peanut butter, though it is there. Flavor is mostly chocolate and roast. Dark chocolate. Medium body and good carbonation. Solid brew, I'd be glad to have it again.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the Willoughby Brewing Company.

A- Black with mocha colored head that vanished fairly quick

S- Dark coffee and peanut butter

T- Very strong black bitter coffee taste and peanut butter.

M- Medium body and pretty smooth

O- Overall this was a very interesting beer. Tastes and smells like black coffee and peanut butter. An enjoyable beer that I would recommend to anyone to try, although I am not sure I would get it again. It is a fun beer, but I think it would have been better as a sample in a flight because I did get a little sick of it towards the end of the beer, but it was well-crafted and very unique. Great flavor and interesting, but a novelty beer that you kinda need to be in the mood for.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Live review. Poured into a clean, clear glass by Thomas, assistant to the head brewer at Willoughby. Thomas is a young, affable fellow who was easy to talk with and clearly has a passion for beer.

A Dark brown body which lets light through only in front of direct light, minimal head as the brewer's assistant Thomas reported to me that "they are having an issue with the carbonation right now." Anyway, nice look. 4.0

S Nice but potent coffee smell. Upon repeated sniffs there is also a nut (peanut butter?) smell in there as well. I like this smell. 4.0

T Well, as advertised, a nice porter with the coffee and peanut butter tastes. Porter aspect is a nice medium to dark roast malt. Thomas reported that this is their "Pride of Willoughby Porter" brewed with actual Peanut Butter Coffee beans, not coffee and peanut butter as separate ingredients. Anyway, I liked the taste of the beer and I thought that the non traditional ingredients were there in appropriate amounts. 4.0

M Thin like most porters but I like a bit more body, fullness than this offers. Come to think of it, it had the consistency of a cup of black coffee. 3.0

D Good since the interest level of the smell and taste kept me coming back for more sips. 4.0

Notes: The clear winner of tonight's tasting at the brewery. I wish that Willoughby would do more interesting stuff like this.

had this on-tap at the brewery 2 weeks ago. Reviewed from notes. Draws a fairly dark brown color with amber highlights when held to the light. Aromas of roasted coffee and malts. Flavors of roasted sweet malt along with some coffee and a small touch of peanut butter rounding it out. Has a very crisp and smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink. A good beer all around.

Eric