India Pale Ale | Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 01-24-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.75/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shocked to see the level this beer is being reviewed at. Wondering if there's any way this isn't the same beer, because the beer I had today was a Good to Very Good IPA, nicely balanced by a warm background sweetness framing the hop bitters, and nice flavor. Should be reviewing in the mid-eighties, not the high sixties.

Maybe it's a new batch? Did they tweak it recently? I don't know. All I can say is, based on what I just drank, this beer is underrated.

2.86/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Hazy orange-amber body, with thin sticky white head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Gummy sugar-covered orange candies (or something of that nature), caramel malt, juicy mandarin oranges, and possibly (POSSIBLY!) some piney hops. Lots and lots of sugar in the aroma.

Taste: Lots of the same sweetness mentioned above, but with a notable hop bitterness in the finish. Also some toasted bread and added tang that I had trouble finding in the smell. Definitely odd tasting. Imagine eating those sugar-covered orange wedge candies, but having them finish tart and bitter. I'm struggling to give this one a quality description...

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is higher than average; produces a little bit of an unpleasant sting. Pretty damn sugary (and sticky) as well. Pretty thin body.

Drinkability: All in all, this is not a terrible beer. Funny tasting? Yes. Poor representation of the style? I'd say so. Hard to drink? Not really. If I could pick out a "girly" IPA, this would be it.

2.18/5  rDev -17.7%

The India Pale Ale was poured into a glass and it started off looking okay. The color was a clear dingy brownish orange with a 3 finger foam head.

The aroma was sweet with an initial apple smell then as it warmed up you got a citrus tinge. The taste was harsh and of fusels. It was hard to get a hold of this one as it was purely off. It had a burnt taste to it with a not so good after taste as it burned the tongue. Overall I would not buy this again.

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

3.19/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.09/5  rDev -21.1%

Worst pour at the Organic brewers fest. Poured a hazy golden with a somewhat pallid bit of foam.

Hop aroma was stale and complimented (if you can call it that) by a musty malt aroma.

The taste continues on this trend - the malt tastes like it was resting in the silo for a while too long and maybe got a little damp. Musty again best describes the malt flavor and the beer finishes with a peppery flavor.

2.59/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow, the lively and bubbly carbonation helped maintain a sturdy head on it.

Smell: Yeah it's hoppy, but a strange kind of hop, one that seems starchy, like when you boil potatoes and leave the lid on, and it boils over and burns on your stove. I've detected this before in some other Beer, who knows what causes this but I doubt it's intentionnal.

Taste: Mid carbonation on the tongue, it's got a decent if non-descript hop bite, but there's nothing on the malt side to give it any character or complexity. Not that IPAs need to be real mind-benders, so this one only gets barely a passing grade, but for a west coast IPA it's well below average.

2.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Appears sold orange in color with a large off white head.

It smells of sweet citrus (mostly oranges) I get a strong overpowering caramel flavor. There is a bit of an earthy hop smell.

It tastes pretty sweet. There is a sweet caramel flavor and a sweet orange like flavor. I get a noticeable bitter flavor. This is pretty boring, sweet and one dimensional. It is a bad example of an IPA but it does not taste that bad.

There is a low carbonation to the beer.

This is an ok beer I guess but it is not very smooth and is not a good example of an IPA.

2.22/5  rDev -16.2%

I got this from the BevMo in Thousand Oaks, CA. I saw a few styles from this mysterious brewery (mysterious to me at least) and I picked the IPA to check out, because sub-par breweries will accidentally churn out decent IPA's from time to time.

Appearance: The pour is a slightly hazy gold with a long lasting white head.

Smell: The nose is hoppy, but there's a strange aroma that I can't detect. I don't think this is something that anyone would want in their beer.

Taste: The strange aroma has a taste and it's in the flavor profile, but I still can't put my thumb on it. It's like sour cascade or fuggle hops, maybe lemon. The malts don't play much of a roll in this beer unless they are actually the origin of the off-flavor. The finish is spicy, but the off-flavor sticks around to mess up any ground the beer might have made in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel has good carbonation, but I can't get past the off-flavor.

Drinkability: Nothing about the flavor makes me want to finish the rest of the bomber.

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%

From a 22 oz bottle this poured a cloudy gold with a reddish center. A big fat head, but oddly not much lacing. Nose is of caramel malts and light floral hops. Mouthfeel is a bit acrid, and the flavor is a unpleasant bitter. OK. so how do you combine sourness and bitterness in the same finish. This one managed it, and it is kind of hard to go for the next sip. I usually love IPA's but this one came up short for me.

2.76/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In the thumbs-up / thumbs-down world that we like to live in - I have to go with down. I struggled with it, but this is just isn't good enough.

It starts well enough - looks like an IPA. The smells has not enough hops to warrant it though. Lots of malts and not very balanced. The malt character has a sweetness that is pleasant. It's not the worst beer - it's just doesn't scream "West Coast IPA" to me.

In California, with some many delicious IPAs to choose from - I'd skip this one.

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

3.03/5  rDev +14.3%

22oz. bottle. Imperial pint glass.

My bottle poured a glazed golden color. Plenty of floaties about the glass. No problem there. I have never been one to scoff at floaties. The lacing is weak but the overall color is nice. A quality looking beverage.

Sadly the scents are weak. I sniff out some grain and earth. Not much else. I was hoping for some hops in the scents but they are far in the back for this IPA.

The flavors exude some hops but not much. The IPA is mainly focused on the grain type flavors. Very dry bread comes to mind. There is some citrus but the drying effect of the bread quality on the palate really detreacts from any bitterness the IPA has to offer. Sad because there are some quality flavors in the beer, they are just in the background instead of in the forefront where they should be. In my opinion this IPA needs the background flavors at the forefront and the grain and malt flavors in support. If this was the case, this would be a top notch IPA. Give this one a kick in the pants Mr. brewer.

A very easy drinker. No problems there. I would have to say a few tweaks in the brewing process and it could be one solid IPA. Until then it is a beer to have when the rest of the lot is absolute swill.

1.62/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Not a fan at all. Bad taste, no depth. Threw it out

2.39/5  rDev -9.8%

This is one of those beers that catches your eye in the store with its elegant label, but tastes like bad home brew. Muddled aroma of wet grain and old hops. The nose is sweet with a not-so-fresh malt syrup flavor, followed by a disconnected hop bitterness. Hops are robust but their flavors are flat and one dimensional. A definate miss, especially considering the $4/ 22 oz price.

4.25/5  rDev +60.4%

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

There are a ton of AIPA's out there on the market. That said, if you are a brewer and decide to throw your AIPA hat in the ring, wouldn't you brew something memorable?

I'm sad to say that's just not the case here.

Poured amber in color with a minimal cream-colored head. Smell seemed to lack the citrusy aroma usually associated with an IPA, which was more than a bit off-putting.

Still, in the name of good beer hunting, I pressed on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the taste...I sipped, swirled and swallowed, and waited for the slightest bit of a spicy bite, but it never came.

Mouthfeel walked a thin line between smooth and flat.

Drinkable? Yes. Would I have another, or recommend it to an IPA newbie?

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast