Ninja Porter | Asheville Brewing Company

ashevillebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by TheBierBand on 06-19-2007

1.87/5  rDev -48.3%

Got this from Urbancaver. Uh, thanks for the thought? You're a dear?

Smells like green apple and grape bubble yum. Sour, plastic-y, awful on the palate. It's not stomach-turning, but I'm having trouble drinking enough of it to write a review.

I like the label. Walows hates it. To each their own I guess. I only mention it because we kind of fought about it as we drank.

ETA: I see my review is drastically low? Maybe we got a bad bottle? I hope so...

1.95/5  rDev -46.1%

One of the coolest label designs I've seen. Let's see if the beer lives up to it. Cap looks like it was put on with a hand capper.

Pours a dark coffee brown, opaque in the glass. Big fluffy two-finger medium-tan head. Decent retention, and foamy lacing reaching up the sides of the glass. A nice looking beer.

Smell is pretty faint. I get a bit of chocolate from the malts, and some smoke, but a light, slightly vinegary white-grape smell is the second thing I pick up. Comes in very high in the nose, with more of the notes I'd expect from a white wine than a porter.

Taste is... blech. If I weren't reviewing it, I'd stop now. I feel like I'm getting all of the bad sides of a porter, without the good. It's just foul. There's a touch of smoke. But mainly it's sour, acidic, and pungent, with the character of rotten fruit.

Mouthfeel is slick and smooth. Moderate carbonation. Finish is quite dry. Not bad, but I just want it to go away.

I think this is the worst porter I've ever had. Infected bottle, maybe? Hard for me to say without trying it again. But the rest of this is going down the drain.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from can. Appearance is dark brown with a thin tan head. Minimal lacing. Aroma is chocolate, caramel, and a bit of toast. Taste follows suit but a bit metallic and has notes of coffee and a slight hop bitterness. Medium body with moderate low carbonation. Overall a mediocre porter.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks goes to gehenherzog for this bottle. Split into tulips.

A: Dark chocolate brown with a modest mocha hued head. Soapy lace left behind.

S: Chocolate roast malt. Coffee and a hint of peanut butter. Maybe even a touch vanilla in there.

T: Flavors are rather light. Modest chocolate and coffee. Seems rather thin and almost watered down.

M: Medium to light body. Mild carbonation.

O: Meh. Nothing really special here.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

I tried this on-tap at the brew pub / pizza house. It came in a pint glass. A little too cold. Dark brown with no head, just a couple of tiny suds at the surface. Smell was slightly sweet, with hints of smoky malts. Taste was molasses and grains, but overall was very faint. Malts were nondescript. Mouthfeel was exceptionally watery, as if there was no carbonation whatsoever.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Received as an extra from Uwftke26.

Pours cola color, small head quickly vanishes. Not much to look at.

Roasted malts, a bit of smoke, yeast and a hint of sweetness.

Slightly watery smokey/roasty malt, with hints of caramel. There is lots of bready yeast on the finish.

Very thin, some what drying finish, leaves a little behind and not in a good way.

Very underwhelmed, just not very much going on here.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

served into a pint glass at the brewery. kind of a very dark ruby with cranberry highlights. small white head. some lacing but not much. aroma was pretty much nonexistent. a touch of chocolate but mostly just light grains. pretty blah. taste was more of the same. a small amount of chocolate and a good dose of fruity sweetness but mostly bland. light bodied and watery. just an average house beer.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Dark brown in color with a finger height mocha colored head. Good retention with sudsy lacing. Roasted cocoa aroma. Taste like a browny. Thin mouthfeel. Feels a bit watery. Decent porter that's good to session but won't blow your mind away. I've had it on-tap and it's much better.

Ninja Porter from Asheville Brewing Company