Shiva IPA | Asheville Brewing Company

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Canned on 6/9/14 and reviewed on 6/25. Poured into a tulip. The pour is slightly hazy and light apricot in color. It sports about a finger of coarse white foam. Retention is average. Very little lacing. The nose is quite pungent and piney. Leafy and hemp-like. Lots of grapefruit and a little lemon. The can says it has Columbus hops. It has that white pepper and rye smell of Amarillo.

Medium body and firm feel. Very little malt sweetness present, just enough to support an aggressive salvo of hops. The bitterness is not what I would call "citrusy'' (as advertised on the can). It's more acrid and resin-like with lots of herbal, flowery notes. Sharp bitterness lingers long after swallowing.

Overall, a nice IPA. Although I found it a bit unbalanced, it did grow on my over the course of a 6-pack. It reminds me of SN Torpedo, but with a bit less malt and a bit more bitterness.

1.25/5  rDev -65.5%

I really don't want to get into the whole semantics of this beer. I will say this, that I had Shiva in a can, and it was not drinkable .

So I came to the brewery on Coxe and tried the Perfect Day IPA and their flagship IPA, which is the Shiva.

Both had skunky, off flavor aromas you'd expect from typical adjunct lagers. So, I had to quickly choose my poison, literally.

Well, I decided on a pizza and the Shiva.

Shiva, now on tap after having had it in the can, confirmed my suspicions. Pure battery acid taste. I must say this is the worst beer I have ever had in my life!- even worse than Busch Light.

I'm so glad the gal served me some bad tap water first. After two sips of the Shiva, I almost threw up. I drank the bad tap water with the average pizza, pushed the Shiva aside.

I now know this wasn't a fluke. They actually brew this vile tasting beer, and apparently the people like it?

Shame on them for this, even a first time home brewer shouldn't make anything this bad.The pizza wasn't very good either, no surprise.

I don't like to denigrate local breweries, but this is unacceptable and offensive.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper with a very light haze, a little fine bubbled carbonation, 4 fingers of foamy white, brown tinged head. Chunky lacing.

S: Pine, caramel, toffee, light orange candy, light onion and garlic. Malt and a hint of battery acid.

T: Floral and fruity, light sweetness, smooth with a final bitterness that comes in as an aftertaste. Orange candy, roses, toffee.

M: Medium thick syrupy body, medium low carbonation.

O: Highly drinkable and smooth.

Shiva IPA from Asheville Brewing Company