Green Man Porter | Green Man Brewery

Green Man Brewery
North Carolina, United States
greenmanbrewery.com

Style: English Porter

Dark, full-bodied, and rich in flavor, Green Man Porter is wonderfully easy to drink. It offers a creamy, smooth mouthfeel and finishes with distinctive chocolate notes. This traditionally crafted, award-winning British-style Porter, like a true rock star, enjoys a legendary following.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2006

2.51/5  rDev -35.1%

Not the best porter I have had. Tastes like a dark Budweiser. I hope that I got a bad glass or the wrong beer, but I didn't get any of the overtones I read about in the reviews.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Tastes to me like a watered down Guinness with a slight more coffee taste than Guinness. Won't be drinking against unless someone hands me one for free and nothing else is available.

I just want stars for myself but it make me put something here...

3.02/5  rDev -22%

Decent porter, but nothing special.

3.04/5  rDev -21.4%

3.24/5  rDev -16.3%

Light chocolate malt nose with some Graham cracker, marshmallow, dry malt, roasted grain and smoky embers.

The flavors are very muted and hard to distinguish. I do get some chocolate malt, light embers, touch of smoke and a bit of barley.

This is quite thin, kind of airy and has a bit of carbonation bite.

Not much here, certainly not offensive but just not much personality to distinguish it from others.

3.24/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap at Scully's in Asheville, NC

Nice dark, cola colored porter with light tan soft head.

Aroma of roasted malt. Taste will light malt characteristics, bit of a souring middle. Some roastiness, and semisweet chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel was a little thin and seemed watery at times. Just a loose drinking porter.

Overall, probably average for the style - I think English Porters just are not all that enjoyable for me. It's the odd sour, thin characteristics I dislike every time I have the style.

3.29/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Served on tap at Jack of The Wood, Asheville, NC

Decent porter from "Beer City USA". Nothing too out of the ordinary though. it poured an inky black with a dirty brown head. The look was nice, but everything else was just about average. The flavors were all indicative of a porter, the problem was the the flavors simply were not there in abundance. The finish was watery with very subtle smoke, and given the style of beer I really would have appreciated something my palate could marinate on for an extended period of time.

Green Man Porter from Green Man Brewery