Sofa King IPA | Mad Anthony Brewing Company

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by CRJMellor:
3.53/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy yellow-golden color with a nice fomay white head. Powerful hop aroma with citrus notes very prevalent. Initial taste provide nice bitterness and a moderate amount of malt flavor. This beer really grew on me as a drank it, as it warmed a bit the balance between hop and malt came out a little more and beer became more enjoyable. Mouthfeel was a bit thin (which I found with all Mad Anthony beers) but this was one the best of the bunch. May have relied on the hops a bit too mcuh but pretty true to style and a drinkable beer.

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer was presented to me with almost no head atop a hazy, deep apricot-colored liquid. Nose was fresh, whole hops with herbal and malty aspects. Flavor was bitter, hoppy, and citrusy up front, with a lingering, semisweet malt profile. Tasted quite good to me, especially being quite fresh. The mouthfeel was a bit oily and finished a bit too thin for the style, but overall, this is a solid Indiana beer that I will certainly try again. Drinks easily, just could use a bit more malt for balance. Blasphemy, I know.

1.87/5  rDev -41.4%

So far I am not a fan of IPA's, but I am always willing to try one.This particular IPA however was no exception.I did not like this particular IPA as it was just way too bitter for my taste.It poured a medium sized head that was long lasting and left a good lacing on the sides of the glass.

4.27/5  rDev +33.9%

Headline: G.W.B finds a beer from Mad Anthony he can not only drink, but thoroughly enjoy!

I was very pleasantly surprised to see an IPA on tap on my regular jaunt to the brewpub for Monday night $1 pint night. Needless to say, I ordered quite a few. But a small caveot emptor: Mad Anthony is known for fiery post-session torment, and this IPA was no different. After only a few pints, I woke up with a fierce headache that lasted through most of my workday. Ugh. Monday drinking = bad.

A gorgeous bleached 2" head greets my eager palate, which will subside to about 1/2". The color is like weathered pennies. A strong lace will be the only external proof of the beers existence in my tumbler.

The nose is almost abrasively hopped. The beer just screams centennials. They almost milked out apricot and grapefruit tones with the hops, but the malts were just not there to fully enclose and amplify the flavors. This resulted in an overwhelming bitterness but a fantastic hop burp. At about this point I realized that this beer is very similar, if not a clone of, DFH's 60 minute, less the harsh medicinal quality that beer often has.

There's a bit of a weird chalky middle taste, sandwiched between the hop rush and the bitter smack at the end. The mouthfeel is pretty thin for the high alcohol, but this beer is fucking poundable for an IPA.

A damn fine effort from the folks at MABC.

2.36/5  rDev -26%

This is an example of another brew that I did not much care for, but then again, IPAs are not my favorite style. It poured a medium head that lasted a long time and left a good lacing. Its aroma was off and hard to place. It had a typical IPA finish that was rather bitter. Once again, not one of my favorite flavors.

Sofa King IPA from Mad Anthony Brewing Company