Ol Woody Pale Ale | Mad Anthony Brewing Company

Ol Woody Pale AleOl Woody Pale Ale

Mad Anthony Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
madbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by zerk on 08-02-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer pours creamy head and copper colored. The hop aroma hits your nose before the glass gets to your lips. I like highly hopped ales, and I think the hops and malt are nicely balanced. The hop bitterness seems to linger a bit. I think it is a very drinkable pale ale.

I live in Ft. Wayne where they brew Mad Anthony, and it is readily available in the local grocery store (bottled) at a very reasonable cost.
Similar to the principle of having a 'Table Wine' this local brew has become my 'Table Beer and I try to keep it 'in stock'.

3.31/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap, served into improperly named 12 oz. "pint" glass.

A slightly creepy cherry red / tea color. Even more industrially faux when held up to a bright light source. Due to the business of the brewpub at the time, I ordered two to save myself the hassle of going back up to the bar.

No head on either one. Throughout the two beers I saw one small bit of lacing that might've just been poor dishwashing.

The nose on this beer is all hops. I'm detecting something akin to cascade. Nice strong and enticing grapefruit tones.

The taste of this one is an utter disappointment. The wateriest beer i've had in ages: not to mention the fact that the beer screams malt extract and pellet hops. There is no recognizable sense of malt at all. Weak. Also, horrible hints of chlorine water. The brewery uses unfiltered tap water for all beers (sigh).

The carbonation was also way overboard for such a puny beer.

While this beer is at best a mediocre attempt at the style, it could get some people over to the dark side. It is just schwillable enough to get people to think outside of the Bud Light box. For that reason, i'll give some padding to my numerical score. I could've torn this one apart.

Oh, and to the bartender at Mad Anthony: when I asked for a pint of your Imperial Stout and you mocked and insulted me, that did not help gain favor to your establishment. In fact, it might just be a cold day in hell when I return.

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been wanting to try some Mad for some time. I picked-up a sixer not in a carton, but a cardboard neck holder that secures the bottles. The beer pours a nice copper-amber, with a slight haze to it. The off-white head is nice, full, thick and fluffy. Lace is good, webs all glass long. The aroma of this beer makes you to think, "this is a big beer". Its floral aroma comes off hoppy strong. The taste, though not as hop strong, is aided by a sweeter malt. The mouth is left crisp with a hop bitterness that lingers on awhile. This beer grows on you. It comes off at first as though having a thin body. Overall, a good, crisp and drinkable beer.

4.27/5  rDev +23.1%

Courtesy of Kahn's in Indy. This beer is a bright amber color with a thin but lasting eggshell white head. Thin lacing all the way to the bottom. The aroma is really nice citrus and hops. Medium-bodied and easy to drink with a solid hops flavor that is both floral and citrusy. The finish is fairly bitter and lasting. Overall I am rather impressed with what a good APA this turned out to be.

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a copper, gold color with and off-white head that had staying power throughout the length of the pint. Aroma was heavy on citric, resiny hop notes with just a hint of malt and caramel in the background. Taste was very close to style but a little light on good malt/bitter balance. Beer seemed a little bit watered down (as most Mad Anthony beers were to me). Decent effort just not enough complex flavors to be a memorable beer.

1.82/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I sampled this Pale Ale even though I am still not a big fan of Pale Ales overall.Once again, another Pale Ale that I was not impressed with other than the fact that it had good lacing.I could not decide on its aroma and I definitely did not like the taste of it.In other words, I was not impressed and this one did not do anything to try and get me to like Pale Ale's any more.

This brew poured a weak head of small bubbles and formed a good lacing as it receded. Its body was a cloudy dark orange. It has a medium apricot finish. Was not the best of their beers IMHO.

4.46/5  rDev +28.5%

This beer was a beautiful hazy golden amber color with a moderate head that died after a couple minutes. Aroma was floral wilt mild fruitiness. Taste was a blast of floral hops and refreshing malty smoothness. Semi-sweet middle with a tangy, fruity finish.

4.22/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a coppery-amber with a thick creamy head. Great retention, with a lot of thick clinging lace on my glass. The beer has a wonder smell of citrus hops that made my mouth water. The taste has quite a bit less citrus hop taste than I expected (based on the smell), but I wasn't dissapointed. The brew is pretty nicely balanced, though the smell gives the impression of an over-the-top hoppy brew. Still, the hops holds the proper dominant place in the taste but still allow the character of the caramel malt to come through. Great session brew, and good thirst quencher on a hot day.

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours gold amber, with a cream colored head. Head dissapated fairly quickly, and didn't leave much lace on the glass. Citrus and hops in the nose, and a very smooth taste. A mild hoppy flavor, but not very complex. Very drinkable, and a decent session beer.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last