Dark Knight | Barley John's Brew Pub

barleyjohns.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by Bighuge on 07-17-2003

2.64/5  rDev -38.9%

Hand bottle courtesy of Stine: Poured a pitch-black color porter with a small dirty brown foamy head. Aroma of bourbon is quite overpowering with some sweet malt notes also noticeable. Taste is overpowered by bourbon and I had a hard time picking-up other flavour. Body is quite full with alcohol from the barrel really coming out. I was a bit surprised as I was not expecting so much bourbon to come out in such fashion and I am probably not the biggest bourbon fan around.

2.64/5  rDev -38.9%

Growler generously shared by ygtbsm. Thanks again Brad!

Pours a viscous dark brown that appears almost pitch black in the glass with a one finger mocha head that settles into a thin ring.  Spotty lacing left behind but this beer has amazing legs.

Sweet boozy aroma with lots of dark malt, sweet bourbon, earthy oak, chocolate, toffee and oatmeal.  The malt aromas are evident but are overpowered by the strong bourbon character.

Viscous body with lots of boozy heat and bourbon flavor.  Way too hot with lots of burning alcohol that overpowers the other flavors and tons of warmth/burning in the finish.  Underneath the strong barrel/spirit presence there is some chocolate, toffee and toast.  Way too much bourbon and alcohol sweetness resulting in a one dimensional beer that isn't very interesting.  Thick and viscous mouthfeel helps things a bit but there is no depth or complexity.

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

A - Very dark, not much foam

S - Smelled a lot like bourbon, not bad.

T - Tasted like bourbon mixed with Guinness, and not in a good way. I had high hopes for this beer and it just didn't work.

M - Weirdly fizzy in my mouth.

D - It was hard to get through 5.5 ounces.

Overall I'm sad that this wasn't better. I had such high hopes.

3.07/5  rDev -28.9%

3.17/5  rDev -26.6%

2011- Heaven Hill Barrel Aged - Original review scored 4.42

Pours a light ring of tan head. Color is a dark ruby amber hued brown. It is nearing black.

Aroma: Rich oak and bourbon, dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, dried cherries, and a light roast. Reminds me of a boozy BCS. The bourbon shows a lot, but in a pleasant way.

Taste: Huge dark chocolate profile followed by some roasted malts. Then a wave of bourbon hits with some oak and vanilla. It finishes with dark fruits and a coffee roast.

Mouthfeel: Warming, smooth and roasted. Full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted with a bit of heat. As it warms the bourbon shows even more.

Overall, a really nice beer. The barrels show nicely. I can see some people being overwhelmed by the bourbon and the abv, but I really enjoyed it. The bourbon flavors are delicious. It is very drinkable, but I am trying hard to make my small glass last.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2016 vintage out of the can. 45th Parallel Distillery Barrel Aged.

Over-roasted, peaty, and char, and burnt. Lots of oak and whiskey. This is clearly a different beer and no where near as good as the original. It is decent, but the old vintages brewed at the brewpub were on a never level.

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

I had this on tap at BJs in May while visiting a friend. I didn't know what I was in for! It was served in a small glass (maybe 8 oz. or so?) and was as DARK as DARK could be. Smelled great and looked the part. What I couldn't get past was the strong alcohol flavor - seemed a lot more than the advertised 13.5%! I have had beer with high ABVs but the bartender may as well have put a shot of bourbon in this one! Apparently some people rave about it, so it's worth a try...

3.5/5  rDev -19%

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Tried this at a festival, two different times, & just didn't quite get it. Third time's a charm? Mini five ounce pour of a 2010 keg evidently found in the basement corner of Barley John's.

Pour is surprisingly lively, with a nice dark-colored afro. Nose is barrel-heavy with huge malt sweetness & chocolate. Not bad.

Dark Knight's taste is a step down, just like most of the movies. The primary component seems to be raw lighter fluid, which I always get from this brew. Behind the Zippo is sugar soaked black fruits, hard vanilla, & enough booze to kill a small Clydesdale. Oh, & bourbon, did I mention the bourbon? Like taking shots of Jim Beam with a bit of porter mixed in. Five ounces? Yes, that's enough, thanks.

First & second impression confirmed. This is a pretty good beer, but really nothing special in my mouth. Glad I got that one nailed down.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

Vintage 2006, 13.5%

I had the fortune of trying this the day after drinking Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout which provided a nice comparison for another bourbon barrel-aged beer. The Dark Knight is heavier on the booze with the alcohol present in the aroma and flavor while bourbon dominates the flavors. In the taste, a little cocoa and coffee back up the liquor, but I think the BCS is much more balanced by comparison. This is still a great beer and a wonderful sipper, but I'd recommend The Dark Knight Returns, which has a great deal less bourbon, over the original.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

Had it on tap at their place this Friday, poured into a kind of snifter with a long stem.

It has obviously not been retired, although I was told it was a barleywine by the waitress.
Near pitch black, some glimmering dark red accents on the side, little to no head.
Aroma is somewhere in between a barleywine and a porter; liquorice, lots of noticeable alcohol, some chocolate, coffee, molasses.
Not full bodied as I expected, by close. Oily at times, and hot, with lots of noticeable alcohol. Liquorice again, and at times even a bourbon hint, although it is likely just the alcohol. Coffee and chocolate, some molasses.
A good brew, but a bit too hot for my full enjoyment.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours jet black (deep crimson when held up to direct sunlight) with a wisp of creamy head and nary a trace of oily lace. Vanilla-cream liqueur, bananas and just a hint of burnt oak cask on the nose . . . malty goodness abounds and frightens the little childrens and girly-men. My initial impression is that this is a liqueur . . . we sampled it side-by-side with the Dark Knight and back-to-back they are indeed the palate killin' crime-stoppers the name implies, roundin' up the cheap macro/adjunct baddies and puttin' 'em to bed for the night.

Sweet . . . but not without a couple fist-fulls of character: licorice notes, a trace of the oak from the cask, a touch of hop bitterness (it's gotta be tough to balance this one at it's alcohol level - 13% this time around) and a hint of the grain bill of Old 8 Porter. The bourbon character from the barrel is fairly mute and indistinct at first but presents itself more fully in its phenolic character towards the end of the palate. Yeast character is surprisingly evident and yet adds to the flavor profile, almost spicy here (the fellow I was with seemed to think it was like a hefe-weiss mixed with the old eight porter, some bananas, and a ton of booze . . . sounds like a Tiki drink I've had!)

Mouthfeel is indeed silky smooth, but carbonation is more apparent here than in the Dark Knight, which gave the impression of a hand-pull.

Oh yeah: the alcohol, while well-hidden, is VERY warming.

3.89/5  rDev -10%

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks goes to Chris (spycow) for this one! Poured into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours black, minimal head, some bubbles here and there, no lace or retention.

S - Big booze, molasses, dark fruits, burnt sugars. Lots of booze, and at 12%, it's not surprising.

T - Booze, booze, and more alcohol. Dark fruits, oak, slightly sweet/big booze finish.

M - Full body, rich, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - Very hot and needs some more time before really hitting its prime, in terms of taste. It would be nice to age this one for a while, but it's hard to do considering the vessel and how fast it goes. Good, but not outstanding.

3.99/5  rDev -7.6%

I debated whether or not to review or even try this one, because my pallete isn't all that sophisticated and as such I probably missed a bunch of things that make this beer unique, but I thought, what the heck, I'll probably never see it again, and you only live once.

I don't know why I decided to try Dark Knight tonight, or even try to find Barley John's (it's quite out of my way, and I generally don't get over to that area of town), given the nasty roads. But it's that whole "you only live once" thing...

This one pours into a rather small snifter a dark brown/black color. Now, I'm not really a fan of bourbon (which is why I wanted to try it of course ;-), and my first taste was a bourbon punch to the face. The mouthfeel seems a bit thin as well. It's not really all that alcoholic tasting, but I do notice a burning in my tummy, which is nice (If they bottled this, I'd be drinking it this weekend, when it's 40 below). As the beer warms, the bourbon flavor mellows, and the mouthfeel gets creamier. All in all, it's quite tasty, even for someone who doesn't like bourbon.

Honestly, this beer may be a bit mature for me. It's nothing like I've ever tasted before, and as time goes on, I may come to like these kinds of beers. But I'm glad I tried it, if only to expand my horizons.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

From Barley John's website:
"...This double fermented porter was aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels for exactly 1 year. Historically the strength has clocked in at 13-14% abv - this batch has not yet been tested. Huge roasted barley presence with a bourbon and oak finish."

A - Served in a 5.5oz wine/globe glass. Arrived with a very thin tan head. It was the color of used motor oil with a bit of light coming through the edges with a ruby red tint. A thin collar remained as I drank. Minimal Lacing.

S - Roasted and smoke malts. Kind of smelled like slightly burnt caramel rolls thrown in a BBQ smoker for a while. Faint sweet fruits, cocoa and coffee notes were also in there.

T - There sweetness up front; dark fruit fig and raisin as well as caramel and toffee. There are anise/licorice notes in the middle. There are roasted and slightly smokey notes in the finish with a hint of coffee. All of these flavors are backed by the strong bourbon booze; leathery, oaky and spicy.

M - Heavy, slick and smooth. There is not much carbonation and it's not chewy. Lots of alcohol warmth with a bit of a dry finish. Excellent.

O/D A bit heavy on the booze. It didn't bother me as I love bourbon, but I feel like it probably did mask some of the other characteristics. I would think that a year or two in the cellar and this would be outstanding.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Enjoyed at the Barley John’s brewpub inside a 5.5-ounce wine glass. According to our server, this particular batch was aged in Heaven Hill barrels.

Murky, inky and thick like molasses, the beer’s a deep black-brown. There’s zero head, but I didn’t expect much when the server told me this was around 18 percent ABV. A stain from this would never come out.

I can smell the bourbon from a foot away. When I get closer, booze permeates the senses: deep, sweet butterscotch, cocoa nibs, molasses, vanilla, oak. Maybe some prunes, hints of anise and smoke way down below, but this is overpowered by bourbon. As it warms, I do get more cocoa.

Hot Damn! The underlying smoky porter comes through just enough in the flavor, lending bittersweet dark chocolate and hints of smoke to the still-powerful barrels. From those, I get oodles of bourbon, toffee, vanilla extract and molasses. It’s sweet, but there’s just enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. When it reaches room temperature, I find marshmallow!

The server from earlier must be high — there’s no way this is above 16 percent ABV. I’d be inclined to say it’s under ten, it’s so well-hidden behind the mountains of flavor. The buttery medium-full body is a velvety delight, the carbonation is lightly prickly, and there’s zero harshness at the swallow. So smooth.

Dark Knight just gets better and better as I go through the glass, but there could be more balance and a better show of porter flavors. Tone back the bourbon just a bit and we're in business.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Jeff for this one. I've been wanting to try this beer for years! 16oz. can into a Surly teku. Shared with schen9303.

Nose is roast, booze, molasses, chocolate and smoke. Aromatic and rich if a little boozy. Beer opens booze, sweet soy sauce and chocolate and molasses. There's a smokiness that floats in the background, leaving a gap between it and the chocolate and dark fruit flavors up front. Middle has a touch of roast and some baker's chocolate. Finishes boozy with more chocolate and rich molasses. Body is medium with moderate to low carbonation. Real smooth and drinkable. This doesn't feel like 12% even though it tastes like it.

A real well balanced and carefully crafted beer. Good balance and complexity. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%