Rosie's Old Ale | Barley John's Brew Pub

Minnesota, United States
barleyjohns.com

Style: Old Ale

Added by fantome on 03-01-2004

On tap at the Great Taste of the Midwest 2014...
Walked up to the Barley Johns Booth, asked for a pour of Rosies...the guy rolled his eyes at me and asked if I had ever tried the base beer...Wild Burnette. I said I hadn't and he proceded to pour me a glass to try...I took one sip of Wild Burnette, and then took a sip of my buddies Rosies...Dumped my glass on the ground, handed it back to the guy and said Rosies please...its THAT good...Like sweet ice tea on a hot summer night, perectly balanced....I could drink it by the pitcher...The best Old Ale I have had too date...too bad its only made every three years! I am in love

I've avoided reviewing this over the past couple of months because I didn't want to sully the memory of it's sweetness, but here I am...again. Six times back for this beer, & counting. Another wildly expensive ($9) five ounce pour.

The pour is my favorite, redhead, with red highlights. The smell is like sticking your nose into heaven, but who cares? I want this in my mouth, not up my nose. Onward.

Rosie's Old Ale is a purebred work of art. The overwhelming impression is one of fine, artisanal caramel created by gorgeous virgins & imbued with a kick of searing, high-quality alcohol. After that perfect onslaught of caramel, almost nothing else matters. Huge sweetness. Great balancing vanilla with a slow, subtle burn of bourbon that never overpowers the beer. Dry. Five ounces at a time is probably a good idea given the ABV, but I could go at this in pint glasses & die happy.

This beer has that elusive "X" factor that so many brewers strive for & so few achieve. A dull rendition of the tastes - barrel, caramel, blahblahblah - just doesn't do it justice. This is liquid poetry, the formula probably found on ancient stone tablets delivered by some pagan god. This is perfect beer #5 for me. Simply stunning.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

4.82/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

At 18% I expected some rubbing alcohol taste, but none present at all. For the ABV, actually remarkably smooth drinking. Brewery pours a 5-6oz pour. Taste lingers well, rum and raisin present.

Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma, which is the only knock I haven't against this awesome beer.

Rosie's Old Ale from Barley John's Brew Pub