Dragonfly IPA | Upland Brewing Company

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
uplandbeer.com

Style: American IPA

India Pale Ale originated when the British Empire was at its height. British soldiers and civil servants were stationed all over the globe (including India), and regular ales could not survive the long journey by sea to reach them. The British solved this terrible dilemma by adding excessive amounts of hops to their beer–using the preservative properties of hops to increase the life of their beers.

Our Dragonfly India Pale Ale is true to this tradition, featuring seven hop additions to create a powerful hop profile. A solid malt base, however, tempers the bitter American hops, giving Dragonfly a balance not often found in this style. The end product is a well-balanced, malty beer with the crisp taste of hops and an exceptionally floral nose.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

4.91/5  rDev +42.3%

First review for probably my favorite IPA I have had in a region out of state Smell and the taste have a lot of citrus. If they sold this near where I live I would be an alcoholic

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

Delicious IPA. Smells of grapefruit, pine, even some orange. Tastes just the same. Loads of hops in the beginning with a bitter malt finish. One of my favorite "Go To" IPAS. Great around a campfire.

4.53/5  rDev +31.3%

While my least favorite of the Upland brews, the Dragonfly is still a nice IPA in its own right. It has a great appearance, a nice deep copper color. It does have the least scent of any IPA I've had, there was very little to detect in the smell, not even a lot of hoppiness. It does have a very nice hoppy flavor, but with a very bitter aftertaste (even more than usual for an IPA). While not the smoothest, it is still easy to drink.

Gotten nothing but better, with wonderful hops (citrus and floral) throughout, along with a great malt backing.

AR 4.5 Ap 4.5 F 4.5 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Bought as a 12 oz bottle in Elkhart, IN. Poured into a glass.

Nice aroma, blending some pineapple and some pine.

Pours a clear orange liquid with an off-white head. Leaves belgium lace on the glass.

Flavor is nice and refined. I agree with the label that says "just the right amount of bite," as the hops are well-balanced. I might be inclined to call this an American Pale Ale though rather than an IPA, but that might because I've had too many crazy IPA's of late.

Nice and dry with some fruity pineapple-y notes. More aromatic than bitter hops.

Nice smooth medium-mouthfeel.

I must say that this is my second outstanding beer from Upland Brewing company. I want more!

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

Great ipa....especially on draft!

A very solid IPA. Here goes:

A: Clear amber-orange with a very large head that leaves a ton of lacing. Lots of protein content apparent. Great appearance. 4.75/5.00

S: Lots of grapefruit, lemon, orange-peel and pine. Also caramel malt to balance out the hops. 4.5/5.0

T: Good. Pine is more apparent in the taste than in the nose. Overall taste lemon, orange, pine and grapefruit - the last two of these are the most apparent. The beer also has somewhat of a malt backbone to balance out the hops. I enjoyed this beer a lot. 4.25/5.00

M: A little under-carbonated, but the malt makes the beer amply thick. Good, but not great. 4/5

O: I really enjoyed this beer. 4.5/5

4.43/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +27.5%

This is a very nice IPA that comes in at a session level ABV of 6 per cent. I need more beers like this that will keep me hoppy happy and out of jail. It poured a reddish orange that connotes a certain kind of IPA taste I like. The nose is very light. Mouthfeel is hust about perfect and may be due to the limestone in their aquifiers. What's wrong with
a pleasant IPA? Nothing.

4.39/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Best Indiana brewed IPA

4.29/5  rDev +24.3%

Procured via trade w/ bdorf94 (aka, my roommate).

I've been looking to try this for awhile but for some reason, I never got around to purchasing it. It's finally in my hands though. Pours a toasted orange into my pint glass with a slow building head (sort of like when you pour coke, the head builds instead of rushing all up at once). The two fingers worth of foam didn't last long though, but it left a nice lacing throughout the glass. A strong bready maltiness initially strikes me as I bring my nose to the glass. That was a shock. Some resiny hop notes can be found further back in the aroma. Taste to me screams English IPA. A lot of malt character (bread and caramel) was present with the hops coming up only as an aftertaste. I do not know how old this bottle is, but if aging was responsible for this the well balanced nature of this. I'm going to buy a six-pack and let it sit. Extremely well balanced and drinkable. I'm loving this particular bottle. I will be buying this again and if the first bottle is harsh, I'll just wait six months to have a fantasic brew, even if it's not a hop-bomb.

4.27/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured into a nice sized mug, Upland's Dragonfly IPA exhibited a healthy biege head ~1" in size. The head was slow to disappate, and a good cm or so stuck around for the duration.

The beer was a slightly murky rusty orange or reddish brown, and left very nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was very rich, full, and hoppy, with strong herbal, spicy, and citrus qualities. It is fragrant and bright. Taste is crisp, with just enough bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the malts.

It is not highly carbonated, and the flavors are balanced enough that it enjoys great drinkability. I could see having three or four too many without realizing it...the flavor is well balanced, characterised by grassy, herbal bitterness and rich, malty sweetness.

This is not the greatest beer I've ever consumed, not a masterpiece, but it was well worth the money, delicious, fresh, and highly drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dragonfly IPA from Upland Brewing Company