Ard Ri | Upland Brewing Company

3.7/5
Alströms:
3.5

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a semi-cloudy, deep dark orange/red hues when held up to the light. Has over a inch thick head which settles down after a while and leaves a lot of lacing throughout.

Tastes like a mixture between a Barleywine and an Imperial Red, some alcohol presence, but is pretty well hidden-which translates into easy drinking-watch out-LOL!

4.49/5  rDev +21.4%

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

This Upland brew is one I have wanted to try for years. I am enjoying it in celebration of Saint Patties day.

Nearly three fingers of biscuity tan head has nice retention and leaves waves of lace as it fades. Body is a perfect brownish amber that almost glows. Nose is minerally and nicely toasted with sweet malts and marmalade like citrus hops. Complexity is noted off the bat as you take first sip and malts and hops mingle together wonderfully. I get notes of rye, caramelized nutty malts and a mineral and citrus based hop profile. This beer really reminds me of Nugget Nectar and Rye Squared both of which I love. Minerals, sticky hops and a slight nuttiness make up the mouthfeel. Exceptional drinkability. Probably my favorite from Upland.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow, what a great offereing from Upland. Its a fucking fantastic beer.

The color of this beer is a rich red and with a small head. The smell is nice and bold but not overpowering

The taste is one of the best from this brewery. I really like this brew.

Overall, this is possibly the best brew from upland. I'm picking up a growler hopefully tomorrow.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is more of an Imperial Red, as it's brewed a lot stronger than normal reds. It has an excellent look to it, a very beautiful burnt red/copper color. It had an excellent head and great lacing. Not only did it have a good red ale scent, nice and almost-sweet, but it also had a wonderful hoppy aroma with it. It had an excellent taste, but much more hoppy than the usual red ale, with a bit of a bitter aftertaste. It goes down fairly smooth, with just a bit of roughness from the high ABV. Excellent imperial and red ale mix.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

I saw this new release at my local beer store and picked it up especially for St. Patrick's Day. Looking forward to trying my first Imperial Red Ale.

I poured it ito a tulip glass, and the appearance is beautiful. Very full red/brown with a nice fine white head. This beer seems to glow, and there is a good bit of carbonation bubbling up through it.

The hops make the nose quite appealing with a good deal of sweetness in the backbone as well. The taste is much different than I expected. It has a good strong alcohol burn throughout (which I enjoy), with a great sweetness at the end (almost Belgian in a way). Plus, the hops are very well done; a bit subdued, but very delicious.

Overall: This beer is incredibly well balanced. Probably the best beer I've ever had from Upland.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

On-tap at the Heorot & Fickle Peach in Muncie, IN.

Pint arrived with a small cap of reddish tan foam, the color was an opaque reddish brown. Intense malty aroma, with some light floral things in the background. Visually it looked like a very hearty beer.

Rich malt flavor, some inkling of grapefruit rind is there, but it's mainly a steamroller of full-bodied malty goodness. Elements of Scotch ale are present too, but not especially sweet or smoky. It's abv is well hidden, and i'd imagine a few of these could wreck you easily.

Fun fact: The photo on the label is from a larger scene of Stan from the Heorot with his pet wolves. There is a banner above the bar at the Heorot.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

The Ard Ri, Bottled, I found in a Fort Wayne beer store for a pricey $14 plus a six is really my first upland. I've been wanting to get ahold of some Uplands, but oddly enough this limited St. Patty brew was the only offering.

So I start at the top, Imperial Red. It pours a nice dark, slight hazed red. On top, A nice, light tan inch&half head. Lace does web the glass.

The aroma stirs at the nose with a mild but sure fired hop.

The taste is hopped but really well balanced so its not as bitter. The malts calm this 9.6% abv. brew and sweet'n things enough to allow this brew to be enjoyed and drank easy. Easy dose it, 9.6, you would never guess its that strong. Very smooth.

The mouthfeel feels soft, not chewy. The body i would say is heavy medium or a shy full.
Drinkability, pretty easy with a slight hop dryness toward the finih.

Well worth the money!

Bottle from Keg Liquor.

Poured clear rddish copper color with an average frothy off-white head that was mostly lasting with excellent lacing. Moderate citrus hop and toasted malt aroma. Medium to full body with a slick smooth texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy bittersweet flavor with a medium to heavy bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

My expectations where more then met.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

just missed this on tap when I was in bloomington. bottle will have to do.

the color is a grand red burst. fluffy white head with plenty of sticktuitiveness. really grand looking beer.

really sweet smell. malty, fruity, almost like a fruit basket with rye.

a very good flavor. I am impressed. malt takes a back seat to the hops and, damn! a great hop kick right up front. the apricot/grape fruit flavor comes second. balanced, strong and very punchy with the alcohol.

creamy, great mouthfeel. a real treat to taste. just a loaded brew.

I am really impressed. I have had problems with Upland's bottling before with the bad elmer's and dragonfly (and the wheat, ugh). it is great to see a well bottled beer representative of the tap beer you get in bloomington. and, what a different take on the red! stronger, delicious.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer is powerful! In both flavor and alcohol, this beer is strong.

Rich, caramel and toffee flavors from the malt, with a spicy, earthy hop character that is extremely present but not overwhelming.

The smell and flavor both are delightful, but I'm a little confused by it being labelled an "imperial red ale." I have never heard of this category of beer before, and while it is a makeshift name and a suitable name, it has no characteristics for which I could distinguish it from a barleywine. Color, flavor, aroma, strength, everything points to barleywine. I hate to suspect the style name is a gimmick to lure in adventurous beer guzzlers, but the beer is good enough that even if this is the case it's forgivable. I may buy another six pack of this to cellar, I suspect it would age quite well.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This pours a hazy reddish colour with a 1 finger head of foam and some good sticky lacing.

The smell is mostly citrus hops with a dash of sweet and roasted malt there as well.

The taste...umm...it's big. The first thing I notice is huge notes of caramel and roasted malt that brings on the sweet but doesn't go too far in that direction; some nice hoppy flavours, grass and some slight citrus stop it in its tracks and brings on some good balance. I also get a sense of some fruit. Nice.

Hey, this is hefty son of a gun at 9.5%abv and I do feel some warming after the swallow but that's about it and I'd better keep just sipping on it or I'll be in trouble. ;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel, the carbonation is fairly light, and it finishes with another nice carress of roasted malt and grass. This is a darned good Red Ale

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Bottled February '11 - poured from bomber into my favorite tulip glass.

A: Hazy reddish copper with an inch of creamy tan head that gives way to a ring around the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Toasted caramel, toffee, milk chocolate, herbal-y floral hops with a little citrus tang thrown in for good measure. A little boozy, though it's incorporated well. Very nice aroma.

T: Sweet crystal malty goodness - caramel and chocolaty toffee with a good bit of astringency from the roasted barley and hops thrown in the mix along with a little alcohol bite. The hops cut through with a fine grassy, herbal, and grapefruit citrusy character. More lingering bitterness than expected - I fear the roasted barley used may have lent a little more than just color to this brew (meaning tannins.) However the bitterness mellows a bit as the beer warms and your palate becomes accustomed to it.

M: Full-bodied but a tad too carbonated - the carbonation accentuates the astringency that is already very prevalent. I imagine this would be outstanding on cask.

O: A very nice example of an Imperial Red. I tend to like my Irish Reds a little more on the malty/sweet side, and this brew has hops & other bittering agents in spades (though in good taste, I suppose.) Definitely more a hopped-up Red, though that's not a great surprise from the "Imperial" moniker. I'm drinking this a little young, too - I imagine it after 6 months to a year this would be absolutely lovely.

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz, bottle says "imperial red" in small type- whatevs.

Pours bright copper with red hues, small off-white head that leaves behind a nice crust of lacing. Smells fruity, kind of reminds me of gratitude. Some citrus, pear, apple pie, marshmallow, vanilla, beet. Tastes mild, flavors up front are fruity malt, some hop bitter with a follow up of coffee- which is not expected by the way. Interesting for sure, this brew is off-dry which is contrary to the malt bomb smell. Contradictory comes to mind if I had to describe this in one word. Smooth and mellow with tannins bringing up the rear, the coffee bitter cuts whatever sweetness down. The style for this should be imperial red, as bwine does not do this interesting beer justice.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Big thanks goes out to robwestcott for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Bottled February 2011! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured a deep reddish-brown with a two finger off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, caramel, citrus hop, and sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty tasty brew. Not the best Barleywine I've ever had, but definitely not near the bottom either. I really liked the citrus aspect that was going on in this one, but I think it was still a little to 'hot' when I had it. I could see this one really shining in a year or so when the alcohol has a chance to mellow out slightly. Definitely worth trying at least once even if it is fresh or aged.

Ard Ri from Upland Brewing Company