Strawberry Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

Strawberry LambicStrawberry Lambic

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by merlin48 on 10-29-2007

Reviews: 112 | Ratings: 379
4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a peachy red-orange, lots of bubbles but no real head to speak of. White ring of foam around the glass dissipates quickly.

Smell is a whole lot a funk. More strawberry in the nose as it warms. A bit of salt and watermelon on the nose. You can tell this is going to be sour.

Taste is all sour. Like face melting/teeth grinding sour. As my palate adjusts or maybe as it warms, I can taste a lot of strawberry mid sip. Finish is like white vinegar.

Feels fairly carbonated but the sour is pretty distracting. I can feel the acid hit the back of my throat when I swallow.

Overall this is an excellent beer. I wish it was a bit less sour so that the strawberry was at the forefront. I would like to try this fresh to see if it's the age that has made this beer so sour.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Opens with a bang. Delayed foam over about 3 seconds after de-corking.

A- Pours completely hazy and mild orange to peach in color. An initially large head calms down and forms a thin layer of lace on the top of the beer. No lacing.

S- Holy sour. Big, somewhat fruity, acidic sour scents here. Just a bit of strawberry profile. Pretty sour all the way through with some yeast at the very end.

T- Tart, sour, juicy, and fruity all in one beer. Starts very sour, more like a gueuze with the level of sour. Moves toward a tart strawberry flavor before the full juiciness of the berries kicks in. Really displays the fruit at the end and after the drink finishes. Feels and tastes like pure strawberry juice on the tongue after the drink ends.

M- Just like a lambic should be; highly carbonated, somewhat heavy with the larger grain bill, and easy to drink except for the level of sour. I could drink this all night, even with the intense fruity sourness.

Overall, a somewhat unusual fruit for a lambic, but it works. Frankly, the natural sour qualities of the strawberry make its flavor somewhat difficult to pick out of the lambic, but once you do, it's delicious!

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a tulip. The color is slightly hazy and golden. There is a small white head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a musty fruity aroma. It is a little bit of an odd aroma, only hinting vaguely at the sweetness.

The taste is very sour up front. The taste appropriately resembles a very under-ripe strawberry. There is a bit of sweetness in the finish.

The body is medium with an average amount of carbonation.

I like his, but it takes some getting used to. The sourness is heavy up front.

Reviewed from notes 11-22-11

P: 750 ml c&c bottle into a snifter.

A: SRM is harvest/straw yellow. Semi-translucent, bubbly, hazy. Head is off white, 1 in, dissipates to the outsides of the top of the beer. Medium/heavy carbonation. Heavy lacing.

S: Classic lambic flavor. Pronounced tartness with very full natural strawberry flavor. Very balanced. Aftertaste is tart and light strawberry.

M: Medium body. Initial feel is very tart, but this is nicely smoothed out by the strawberry finish. Semi-wet finish.

O: Excellent lambic. I am continually impressed by Upland's lambic series. The sour/tartness of this beer is very well balanced by the presence of strawberry. I will buy these whenever possible.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to my buddies Michael and Jay for the Upland Lambic hookups. I received two bottles of the Strawberry, the first one I opened at a tasting and now this second is all for myself to review, muhahaha!

I remember this one having a great strawberry aroma but it was also very oaky and buttery.

Pours a similar color to a Belgian pale ale, a light amber with a very few bubbles. It seems like none of these Upland Lambic pick up any color to the fruit they have in them. There is a thin ring at first but it disappears in a few minutes. The second pour had LOTS of yeast sediment and really clouded the beer into a milky, papaya color.

Not as fruity as I remembered it back in November but definitely more funky with some wet leather, hay, dry wheat, semi-plastic strawberry aroma--not really "fake" strawberry aroma but not entirely natural either. More green apple than strawberry on the nose, slight plastic aroma as well. The smell seems quite dry, a touch acetic, and with sour and dusty strawberry powder in the background. As the beer settles for a bit, and I take a few sips, I begin to pick up more oak aromas with notes of caramel too.

More acetic on the taste than the aroma would lead, plastic in the finish and fait strawberry flavor. Some green apple flavor, sour grapes, oak. Definitely not as buttery as I remembered either. Nice dryness in the finish. Slightly cheesy at first but doesn't really carry out far enough on the palate. The butter flavor I remembered this one from when I last had it, in November 08, is still noticeable in the back end but the dryness and sourness in the finish pretty much tones it down. I'm also picking up some lemony wheat flavors in the finish and aftertaste. The beers seems to taste more and more oaky as it goes along.

Low to medium carbonation, not bad but not great either.

I think this one was much better back in Nov, it wasn't as sour or dry as it is now but the fruit was more potent and the beer less acetic.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Blind Beer #3 from Khazadum, with the text: "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band would approve."

Just to start with: Fuck this beer. I haven't even gotten it into my glass (but it got everywhere else) and I already hate it. For starters, the cage holding the cork on is incredibly thin, yet tightly wound, so I cut my thumbs and forefingers up just trying to open it. Then, after I popped it, a steady geyser of foam exploded to greet my face, stove, kitchen floor, and counter, before I nearly threw it into the sink. About 8 minutes and half the bottle later, the creep of foam finally stopped.

Glassware recommendations say flute, snifter, or tulip. After smelling my hands and kitchen and having a good 10 minutes to think on it, I decide that this smells Belgian and go for a Cantillon wine glass.

A - A careful pour to avoid another eruption ends with the glass full of a murky, light orange liquid, almost completely opaque. A 1-finger, eggshell white head lays precariously on top, with moderate retention. A nice ring of foam sticks around for what seems like forever, which is how long this beer gushed for. It looks like it will lace a little, but it tricks me and it trickles down. Like it tricked me in thinking I'd be getting a full bottle of beer. Bastard. (3/5)

S - After my first smell of this beer (which came from wiping it off of my hand, not smelling it in the glass) led me to believe this is a lambic. It's pretty sour smelling and a little musty, with a good amount of barnyard funk in here. Getting a variety of fruits in here from green apple to peaches and oranges or tangerines. I'm also getting some wood or cork as well, coming across as damp cardboard or packing peanuts. Dank and musty like a long-forgotten cellar. (3.5/5)

T - Following in the vein of the nose, this is nice and tart, with a good amount of Brett and Lacto in here. Again, the cornucopia of fruits continues, but now it's more focused on the citrus. The tanginess and tartness is throwing me a little, but I'm thinking it's more tangerine here. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. I was expecting this to be overly carbonated due to the gushing, but it actually feels pretty good on the mouth here. Almost a completely bone-dry finish leaves the palate feeling clean. The combination of all these factors makes it quite pleasant to drink. (4/5)

D/O - As I drink this beer, it starts to win me over. The boisterous entrance likens it to a dear friend who lets himself go at parties; it's not pretty and you want to distance yourself from him, but when he's calm and sober, he's good to have around. This is nice and easy to drink, and thankfully I still have half a bottle to drink after this glass... oh wait. (4/5)

I'm sticking with my lambic prediction here and based on the rather unconventional flavors here, I'm thinking its a U.S. brewery. I want to say either Upland Peach Lambic or Persimmon Lambic, and the big citrus I'm getting is making me go with Persimmon.

The reveal: Upland Strawberry Lambic. No shit. After drinking more after the reveal I guess I can strain to find some strawberry, but I'm still hard-pressed to find it. Still a good beer in any case!

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Consumed in an epic tasting on 6.13- from notes.

Appealing cherry color, properly carbonated, forms a small head mimicking the beer's color. Like the peach lambic, does this really taste/smell like strawberries? Hard to say for sure. It's fruity, there's brett. Maybe they shouldve added more fruit. Low level of sourness- more sweet, but drinkable. Interesting to try but I was expecting better for a lambic made with one of my favorite fruits.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks for sharing the bottle Dave!

Huge gusher. Probably lost about a third of the bottle or more. The appearance is a cloudy, tangerine-orange, with a thin white head filled with yeast specks. The gushing definitely didn't help the look of this beer.

Lactic sourness with some brett funk rises up from the glass. Some fruitiness, but hard to describe. Strawberries I guess. A touch of hay and grass as well. White grapes.

Mmm... strawberries. The fruit comes through nicely in the taste. Good sourness with sweet malts and white wine. Hay with a touch of earthiness. A little bit of the oak barrel comes through as well.

Mouthfeel is rustic with some chewiness. Nice level of sourness for a "young" beer. Good feel.

This is quite drinkable. The nose didn't do a whole lot for me, but the taste was good and the strawberries came through nicely. This is my first Upland lambic and I'm impressed enough to hope a few more come my way. Not quite Cantillon, but a good start.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle shared at Hill Farmstead. Very fruity aroma, strawberries are very present with a nice little funky touch. Fruity sourness nicely balanced with oak and lactic notes. Could have leaned more towards the fruit. Light mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Very good beer, I wish I could try more of their offerings in the future.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Got from BarrytheBear in trade at DLD! Thanks!

A - Pours a hazy gold color with little head and gets cloudy real quick when the yeast hits.

S - Very tart aroma with plenty of sour aroma, no strawberry to speak of.

T - The taste is close to an under-ripe strawberry with the strong sour notes, but the strawberry really comes out. The taste is quite interesting and very complex. Something you certainly can get a different taste on every sip.

M/D - Mouthfeel has a slight bite to it, but the fruit makes it really work out. This is something I'm glad I am I had the opportunity to try.

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml caged and corked bottle picked up at the brewer by w113raf in a trade. Many thanks man!
Also, this is review #100!

A- Pours a hazy, glowing orange with a big fizzy white head on pour. Scattered lacing, good retention. Lots of carbonation.
S- Aromas of overripe strawberries, lots of hay/barnyard funk. A little too much barnyard though...
T- Interesting. Strawberries, earth, acidic sourness. Some off flavors in the finish though.
M - Light body, crisp, tart. Tangy and effervescent on the tongue.
D - A bit funky (pardon the pun) at first, but it grew on me after a while. I'm glad I have a second bottle to sit on for a while and see how/if it improves, but had no issues finishing my bottle.

Overall - Not sure what to think about this. On one hand I enjoy the sour nature of it but there's something that just doesn't mesh in the aftertaste. The strawberry flavor tastes almost overripe and artificial. It's not bad, but maybe needs more time in the cellar.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a very cloudy golden/yellow/sun color with nearly none existent head.
Smell is highly fruity-like seedy strawberry smell.
Taste is highly acrid with an under-rip strawberry flavor.
Finish is wet with a great soury/tart after-taste.
Drinks very well here- wish I knew the ABV

3.92/5  rDev 0%

A: Very hazy orange with a small bubbly white head that disappears instantly.

S: Funky brett, slightly acidic with notes of strawberry-like fruity notes. The strawberries are actually quite hard to detect.

T: Taste is quite strange. It's somewhat tart and acidic with decent fruity notes. Lots of funky notes of horse blanket, brett and barnyard that doesn't blend very well with the tart fruit notes. Some notes of malts, oak barrel and vanilla. The strawberries are noticeable, but hard to distinguish. The finish is dry and mildly bitter with notes of oak and fresh herbs and grass.

M: Medium body, very sparkling and lively carbonation. Bone dry finish.

D: A good beer, very interesting but a bit tangy. Perhaps it's a little too bretty. It's clean yet murky at the same time. Hard to get a grip on.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Received in trade from sprinkle. Poured from 750mL bottle into a Cantillon chalice. Beer was a hazy, grapefruit color with a small, diminishing white head. No lacing, light carbonation.

Aroma was funky, barnyard and brett. Great aroma.

Taste was tart. Moderately dry, very light strawberry taste in the finish.

Very nice beer. Nothing overpowering about it. Well balanced and highly drinkable. Thanks to sprinkle for the chance to try this one.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Cloudy straw yellow color with lots of foamy head, but very little lacing.

Aroma is VERY funky with lots of barnyard smells. Flavor is more appealing but subdued - strawberry and other tart lambic flavors are all somewhat muted.

Mouthfeel is nice - smooth and not overly sour, this is a very drinkable beer.

Definitely worth trying - I do wonder how this one might develop over the years...

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Cracked open with friends during poker night. First time having the Upland Lambics. Luckily mine didn't overflow, so got to enjoy the entire bottle.

A- Pours nice hazy orange/golden color. Big frothy white head on it. Leaves rather quickly and down to a nice thin head.

S- Tart aroma coming from it. Mostly funky smell, not much strawberry aroma. Do get a hint of wood note from oak aging.

T- Starts out with the funky, brett taste. Tartness throughout. Very mild strawberry flavor until the end. Thought there would be a little more fruit flavor to it. Some oak flavor thrown in as well. Funk lingers with you in the aftertaste.

M- Lighter body. Moderate carbonation. Tartness has a crisp finish.

D- Good first lambic. Tasted more along the lines as a wild ale though. Would have hoped for a bit more strawberry flavor, but still very good. Can't wait to get some more of their lambics.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Drank yesterday, but writing from notes. Served from 750 bottle into wine glasses.

A: Hazy, golden. Small head (but after a somewhat explosive opening). Lots of sediment and/or pulp.

S: Funk and strawberry jam. Phosphorous.

T: Strawberries aren't too noticeable, actually. It does taste fruity, but almost like sour apricots or something like that. Lots of sourness and funk.

M: Very acidic. Otherwise, medium to light body.

O: It's a decent beer, but I'd love to see how a Belgian Lambic brewery would make a strawberry lambic. I think they would do a better job.

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured a hazy golden red color with a medium sized, pinkish white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of brett, wood, light vanilla, and strawberries. Taste was wild yeast, sour, light vanilla, wood, and a pleasant berry finish. Thanks for sharing John!

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

poured into a tulip

A.

Pour is a hazy orange color. About 1 fingers worth of fizzy offwhite head. Luckily this one didn't shoot out like my previous one.

S.

smell is a very standard lambic aroma. A wild funky aroma, and a SLIGHT fruity presence. You can faintly get strawberries, but they're definitely young and not ripe strawberries. Mainly sour/funk dominant in this category. A little disappointing after having the others.

T.

Same as nose. Not really "wowing" me. Slight sour and acidic, vinegary notes, a little sweet fruit but you have to really concentrate hard to tell what kind of fruit it is. This is my least favorite out of the 4 that just came out.

M.

light bodied, lots of carbonation. Love the mouthfeel in this, as with most lambics. Slightly dry finish...this goes together well with a little goat cheese.

D.

Not that high here. This is definitely not worth the 20 dollars spent on this bottle. Relatively hard to get, plus the fact it's my least favorite of the others....I can still easily polish off a bottle by myself but will definitely seek out the other flavors.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%

9/23/10 dated 750ml bottle poured into 2 tulips, a snifter, a large bowl, and a measuring cup(cork broke in half too). I was prepared for this task! I let it sit upright for about 3 weeks at room temp, then into the fridge for 3 hours, followed by the freezer for about an hour to minimize explosiveness.

A: Once the gross foam dissipated, leaving the brownish-orange yeast and cork chunks all over the sides of the glass, this started looking pretty good. The color is a bright hazy orange with more foam than you could ever ask for.

S: Smells very funky. Brett, old wet barrels, strawberry, citrus. Just lots of oddball barnyard & bacteria scents.

T: Again this lambic errs on the side of funk. The flavor is nicely tart though, which increases at is warms. The skins and juice of strawberry are slightly noticeable but only barely recognizable almost a year after bottling. Good amounts of brett, hay, juicy citrus, wet wood, bugs, etc. The citrus presence is very nice in this, it almost seems like there is some other fruits in this(noticeable ones). This is lightly acidic-not one to rip your enamel off.

M: The carbonation is very zesty in the mouth, just as expected- much like alka-seltzer. Moderate body. Not really puckering or acidic to the point of hurting your teeth.

O: I'm glad I got to try this fella after looking at it so many times before. This doesn't really seem in the same league as the established Belgian lambic blenders, but for an American effort, this is nice work. It was almost a 3 person job to pop the cork and pour this but in the end, its worth it. I don't feel they cut any corners in making this beer, I just wish the fruit were a little more prominent.

Thanks Baron

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Went to Uplands released and purchased the max of 6. This is by far my favorite flavor however they are all well done.

The smell is great. The smell of strawberry is definately there. Other than that sour, sweet, and fruity smells make up the nose.
The taste and mouthfell are great. This is my first lambic and I understand it that lambics are supposed to have a sour taste. Holding this true to lambics, this brew doesnt dissappoint. The taste is a tart strawberry. Simple as that.

Overall this is a very drinkable and flavorfully brew. The cost is a little much which will probably make it hard for me to pick up another. at 14.99 a bottle I might get another.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

Batch 42-09. (Batch 04, 2nd release, 2009). Opened on 01.20.2011.

Pours a hazy orange-red, scarlet with a half finger head that almost fully recedes. Thin in body, almost no lacing.

At first, I get a good bit of artificial strawberry syrup, some minor, indiscernible funkiness, and lactic sourness. A touch of citrus. On further pours, there's a sulfuric egginess with a lot of band-aid meets strawberry. It's odd and doesn't really come together for me.

Not a ton of complexity in this one: band-aids, artificial strawberry, lactic acidity, and a lactic, yogurt tanginess on the finish. Maybe strawberries shouldn't be used in [so-called] lambics. There is a nice tangy and sour finish. Funk is almost absent.

Medium, medium-thin bodied and effervescent. Lots of people experienced gushers with this one - I didn't, but the carbonation is high.

Mediocre drinkability. Too much lightly sulfuric and phenolic character, but the finish leaves me wanting more. Greater than the sum of its parts.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

750-ml of Upland Strawberry Lambic bottled on 9-23-10. This is apparently batch 42-09.

I refrigerated my bottle overnight and then put it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before opening the bottle at my kitchen sink. Strawberry Lambic still foamed out of the bottle, but I had a picher on hand. Decanted the beer and then poured it agressively into another pitcher. The head dies fairly quickly this time around so I think the beer is ready...poured into a New Belgium tulip and allowed to warm for a moment.

A: Hazy, deep gold with yeast and tiny strawberry bits in suspension. A very thin head rests atop the beer.

S: Brettanomyces commands the nose: smells like musty hay in a barnyard in rural Indiana. It must be late spring because I also detect unripe/tart fruit in the background.

T: Taste follows smell, but additional elements are present, including aspirin, a bit of oak, a more pronounced sourness, probably fueled by lactobacillus, and a subtle fruitiness. The interplay of funk and sour is wonderful. This beer is well attenuated and has a profoundly long, barnyardy finish. At the tail end of the finish, strawberries make a surprise appearance. Reminds me of strawberry-rhubarb pie.

M: After knocking out the excess carbonation, this feels medium bodied and drying. Appropriately light carbonation.

D: Complicated yet refeshing. Not overly sour and has a low abv. This lambic scores handsomely for drinkability.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a corked 750ml bottle and served in a tumbler. This beer poured a cloudy, bright orange with some gold highlights and a bubbly head of foam that quickly faded into a ring. The aroma included strong oak and tart strawberries. The flavor was a bit on the sweet side. It was made up of macerated strawberries, oak, and some mild funky notes. The mouthfeel was light-bodied and refreshing. Lightly carbonated. I would have prefered a little more funky sourness, but this was still pretty nice.

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GUSHER!!! After it can be controlled, pours a hazy pinkish orange with no head. Aroma is gross, funk and medicinal/acetone notes. I'm glad I got past the aroma because the taste is pretty good! Funk and strawberries, tart but not crazy. Pretty smooth, not bad but nothing too exciting

Strawberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company