Blueberry Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
uplandbeer.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by emerge077 on 01-01-2008

3.8

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Certainly a blueberry hue to it, no better way to describe it. Smallish head shares that hue, almost no lacing.

Smell: I am really just not a fan of the yeast Upland uses, it bothers me on every single Upland beer I taste, it adds what seems like wet cardboard flavors and smells to it. Light tartness to it and certainly some faint blueberry behind the wet cardboard.

Taste: Again I get the wet cardboard I find in all their beers, like an old book that is dam, followed by a light tartness, oak, must/dust and blueberries. Faint pepper tastes as well. I wish this was a bit more blueberry-forward, I think that would be much more enjoyable (similar to say Cantillon lou pepe kriek). There is a slight jammy element to it that is enjoyable, although you can't pin that part of it on blueberry.

Mouthfeel: this one does have a good full mouthfeel, probably from tannins in the blueberries.

Drinkability: Nice to try but I won't be seeking this one out. I like the ideas they are trying but they need to work on the execution, up the berry content, and remove the wet book/cardboard aromas and tastes.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%

2008 vintage. These have black caps. Purchased yesterday at the brewery. Pours into my glass a deep, vibrant purple/red color with a few light bubbles on top and no real head to speak of. Somewhat hazy. The colors from the real blueberries really shines through. Aromas of light grain malt bathed in a barnyard funkiness. Sour acetic notes mix in with fresh fruity blueberry notes and oak. Pretty nice, but its a bit mellow compared to traditional Belgian counterparts.

First sip brings a light crisp grain upfront that leads way to a fruity blueberry flavor. Sour, acidic notes move in with the trademark lambic, barnyard funkiness. Vinous notes on the way down with mild oak astringency. Not as sour as expected and nearly non-existent carbonation. Maybe some age will help this?

Mouthfeel is light and smooth here. Goes down easy with a subtle puckering sourness. I have to fault this particular bottle as it almost had no carbonation whatsoever. I'm really hoping my other blueberry bottle doesn't have this problem, as it does take away from the overall brew. Cheers to Upland for creating all these lambics!

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer was generously shared by backfat at Goose Island's Stout Fest, thanks Dave! I had really been looking forward to trying this after having the other three lambics from Upland's December release. This beer poured a murky violet in color with a light off white head which laced the glass. It had red rose highlights when put up to the light. The aromas let me down. I wanted blueberry, any blueberry. All I could pick up were other dark fruits, tart and sour notes, and funk. It had this lactic acid acidity which threw me off. I didn't get any blueberry at all. Nooo! The flavor kind of let me down too. It featured a fruity, marmalade like sweetness initially before fading into a sour and tart dark fruity potpourri. God, I just wanted some blueberries. Again it had this lactic component which really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I was getting moody, I don't know. It drank with the consistency I prefer in a lambic but left behind this odd after taste that their other lambics have. I don't think I'm a fan of the yeast that Upland uses for their lambics. Something was off on this one. I still have a bottle so I guess I'll save it for awhile. Hopefully that bottle is a better experience.

Update: I shared a second bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. This bottle actually did give off slight and subtle blueberry aromas. They were still disappointing but at least they were present. The flavor too only gave slight blueberry, leaving me wanting more prominent blueberry.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled on 9/27/10. Batch 42-09.

Split this with my wife, poured my allotment into a large wine glass. Pours a dark purple-tinted crimson. Very thick-looking. Lots of sediment in the glass. A small pinkish head sits atop, but dies out quickly. The aroma is funkified. Sweat, locker room - just downright funky. Faint blueberry tones noted, but way overpowered by the funkiness of this crimson delicacy.

Mild carbonation on the palate. Finishes decent enough. Dries out on the finish. Puckeringly tart blueberries in the flavor. Sour lemon-like citrus, yeast, lactic-acid wrinkling the palate a bit, more funky flavors. This definitely is tart. I was surprised my wife took to it so well, but she downed it quickly and happily. I savored mine a bit more, but it was a pleasure to have. A nice tart beer with just hints of fruity sweetness to keep me sipping.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Andrewinski1 was generous enough to share this one with me. Poured into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy shade of violet with about a finger of lighter colored head. Kind of a sweet batter aroma to this. Andy said it kind of reminds him of blueberry pancake batter and I think that is spot on. It's slightly tart in the aroma with a decent balance of sweetness. The taste is a bit on the subtle side. Barely tart and barely sweet. It's kind of the Switzerland of beers. I really like the nice light body but I think the carbonation is a bit much. Overall, I dig this. It kind of underwhelms but I'll still stand by it as a sound effort.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml capped and corked bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple with pretty much no head at all. It smells tart, like oak, blueberries, and some funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste vinegar, blueberries, oak, and some vanilla. However, the taste is subtle, and I wish it had a little more kick to it. Mouthfeel is thin, seems a bit watery to me. Not much carbonation either, however there is some slickness which is nice. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. I think it's an OK enough beer, but there's definitely some room for improvement with this. I'll have to try another batch in the future and see how it is.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Bottled 09/27/2010. Batch 42-09.

3.5 A: Deep amber, almost plum color. Three fingers of pinkish purple head with soda-like retention and no lacing. I got some yeasties at the bottle of my first glass.

4.0 S: Not surprisingly, this is full of blueberry. The big fruitiness is acccompanied by a healthy bit of oak, subtle vanilla and tannic astringency, and (mainly) tangy lactic acidity

3.5 T: The taste is good, but not any better than that. Again, plenty of blueberry, but only a fraction of what the nose suggests. Otherwise, this is very dry with very little complexity and only a mild acidity. Not much in terms of acetic acid, but some tangy lactic acid. Oak and vanilla again. Despite the simplicity, I still like it for the blueberry burst it offers.

3.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The carbonation isn't as "active" as I'd like and the body isn't thick enough to yield a good creaminess.

3.5 D: By no means a bad beer, but easily the worst out of the four offered for this release. Big hit of blueberry, but not much else.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kstrickler for muling this!

Poured a respectably carbonated clear blue into my old school grandma glass. not much lacing or head present.

Smell of sweet acid and some mild czech hop with blueberries and oak.

Taste of fresh blueberries, oaky funk and battery acid. There is not a ton of body to it, in fact it feels pretty light in mouthfeel for the style. The funk got slightly stronger towards the end for two reasons being that there were more particulate matter at the bottom and because it had warmed up a little bit. It starts of extremely refreshingly good tasting of blueberries and light sweet lambic. As it warmed, more of the gueuze flavors become prominent and made me respect Upland a little more for getting a good quality flavored lambic out in the middle of the US. There was a slight dry / tart finish to it which is expected for the style.

A nice blueberry lambic. The first I have had, next for Blauw to compare head to head with LeBlue possibly.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked up all of the four flavors of the new Upland Lambics. This is my second favorite. This beer is my first experience with lambics. I really enjoy the tart flavor and the bits of fruit in the brew. The taste is there but the sour taste distracts from the flavor. Its fairly drinkable. It just makes it hard on the tongue to drink more than half a bottle! ;-)

Overall, its a good beer with a nice flavor and tart taste. Its a little pricey at 15 bucks a 750mL but its still fun never the less.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

I had higher hopes for this lambic, but it's just decent rather than transcendent. Pours a beautiful purple, but with no head. Stemmy blueberries on the nose with quite an impact. The aroma fades on the finish. Not quite as lush as I'd like. A little thin and sour to start as far as the taste goes, but the blueberries make an appearance toward the finish as nice, clean fruit. The mouthfeel is thin and a little sour. A little perfumy overall, and a bit stemmy. Could be lush, or could be bracingly sour, but it straddles those lines without really deciding which direction it would like to go and without making a statement. Somewhat pleasant, but could be so much more.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

750ml bottle poured into some wine glasses.

A- Dark blue sort of purple looking beer here. A hard pour yielded nothing in terms of head, with no head comes no lace.

S- A nice blueberry scent with some earthiness and very mild tart scents. Nothing in terms of malts or hops, just blueberries, low sour and some accidity.

T- One of the best blueberry beers i've had because I don't get many. This one tastes good but really is not that all complex. Some slight funky yeasty things going on. The berries are the forefront but are not overpowering. Taste like tart fruit juice.

M&D- Well this one is flat as can be. Nothing lively under the tounge which takes away from the drinkability. It has a nice taste but the lack of any ummphh keeps me from wanting more.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%

750ml
$15.00
Upland Brewery

Upland's Blueberry Lambic pours burgundy with the look of fruit juice when backlit, glowing red with a purple tint. An aggressive pour only yielded a thin, mostly bubbled head that quickly fizzled out to absolutely nothing. This lambic looks almost still but when backlit I notice a couple streams of very slow moving carbonation. Not a very good start.

The aroma is faint. The blueberries are mildly noticeable and are both sweet and somewhat peppery. The nose is slightly acetic with a sharp note here ad there of blueberry although that's not all that often. Pretty straightforward aroma but I enjoy what's there. The tartness is minimal in the nose.

The flavor comes along nicely and this beer seems to get better as I drink. There's a mild peppery note right off the bat (from the blueberries) with a dry woodiness mid-palate that lingers through the finish. The blueberry adds a touch of sweet but only for a second. Notes of red wine vinegar pop up here and there that are tart but don't quite reach sour. Slight lactic sourness as well but it's tough to pick out. I'd love to see more sourness on this lambic it's pretty good where it is.

The body at first seemed much too watery but as I drink it seems to pick up a little slickness and a mild tartness sticks to my cheeks. The body is on the lighter side of the spectrum and moves fairly quickly.

I can and have been putting this beer away pretty easily. The light body and tartness keep the glass tilted in the pouring position.

I have to say this lambic was a bit of a disappointment. The flavor is there but the lack of carbonation really knocks this one back on most categories. A few more bubbles and this would have been a really good beer.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, blue/purple tinged copper color with a minimal head that collars around the glass. Nice aroma with notes of tart blueberry, fruit, and slight acetone. Light mouthfeel. The blueberry isn’t as good as what I wanted. Not overly sour. Not too carbonated and wish it had a touch more. Some apple fruit notes as well.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at the Revenge Of Instant Replay bottleshare held at Instant Replay in Canoga Park, CA.

Bottled 10/30/13. Batch 2.08.

Pours a murky dark reddish-purple with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, berry, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with sour berry and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a fairly one dimensional aspect with the sourness.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle shared by Mike yesterday, thanks man.

This pours a stunning looking purplish blue color, looks like they spared no expense with the fruit here. There's a very small head and no lacing.

Smells like old tart blueberry, with a nostril stinging sourness- lots of lacto on the nose.

I'd always heard that Upland sours were really, really sour, and this confirms it. It's pretty stinging, with a lemony Warhead feel. However, there is a lot of blueberry here- but I do wish there a little bit more underlying funk or complexity. There's not much of that to be found, and if it was, this'd be a lot better.

This is medium bodied, with a clean but strongly acidic mouthfeel.

Probably a bit to sour, but the blueberry is done nicely.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%