Cherry Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

uplandbeer.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by hrking on 10-02-2008

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 296

Bottle: Poured a light pink color ale with a huge foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sour cherries is more powerful then expected with load soft rat and funky notes. Taste is also a mix between some strong tart and sour notes with some fresh tart cherries and loads of funky barnyard notes. Body is fuller then average for style with good carbonation. Interesting example of fruity lambic from the US though while still being very good lacked some balance and was a bit too sour at the end of the day.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

750 ml C&C bottle served in a Founders snifter. Batch 134-08, bottled 10/12/10

A: Pours a very hazy purplish color. Man this looks a lot like grapefruit juice. Airy white head from on the pour with some small chunks of a cherry floating around.

S: Musty and tart. some slight sour cherry and some slight funk as well.

T: Great fruity tartness upfront, some subtle sour cherry skins, and some minimal funk. Finishes with a nice earthiness.

M: Has a definitive dry finish, so much so I feel it at the back of the throat. Has a great prickly carbonation and your left with a nice a dried fruit rind on the palate.

O: I liked this one because I enjoy cherry and it had a great mouthfeel and body, but the Persimmon version still reigns supreme.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

batch number: 134-08
bottled: 10/22/2010

poured into snifter.

Appearance: pinkish koolaid red colored beer. The beer has some floaties in it. Fizzy white head that dissapears quickly. For some reason I thought this would be a deep dark red colored beer.

Smell: not getting much cherry notes from this beer. Vinegar, lemon, hay, & funk.

Taste: mild cherry tartness mixed with a moderate lemon sour; followed by hay and funk. Lemon sour and funk remain in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer and carbonation on the high end of moderate. Appropriate mouthfeel for the style and I think it enhances this beer!

Overall: Its a nice lambic, but its a little over priced at over $20 a bottle. Thats the bottom line. It is a good change up when i am in the mood for something totally different. Wish the cherries were bigger in this beer.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a tulip. Bottled 10/22/10, Batch 134-08. Big thanks to Rempo for all my Upland needs.

3.0 A: Opaque peach/ruby red color. I think a saw a yeastie or two float by. Nearly three fingers of white, fizzy soda pop head that falls fairly quickly and leaves no lacing behind.

4.0 S: The aroma makes up for the average appearance. Plenty of tart cherry accompanied by a good bit of oak and hints of vanilla. Maybe even a touch of raspberry. Lots of tangy lactic acid with just a touch of acetic acid. A light, almost doughy maltiness.

4.0 T: Good balance between the fruit and the sourness. Moderately tart cherry, lots of lactic acid making this even fruitier, and just enough acetic acid to get a decent pucker going. Oak and vanilla in moderate amounts. Peach and raspberry fruitiness to support the cherry. A decent barnyard funk to round things off.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Perhaps just a touch too much spritzy carbonation. Reasonably creamy for the body. Quite smooth as this one is quite balanced while still delivering a punch.

4.0 D: The cherry is another solid soldier in the Upland lambic lineup. Aside from the appearance, this is solid all around.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a tall pilsner glass.
Hand-written bottle date: 10/20/10 (Batch 134-08)

Aroma: Sour, wild bretty funk. An acetic/vinegar note. No real cherry coming across, but smell reminds me of the last kriek I had. The aroma clues me into the fact that this one's going to be more like an authentic kriek than a sweet, sugary Lindemann's lambic.

Appearance: "Thar she blows!" Upon popping the cork to a loud "POP!", beer begins gushing rapidly from the bottle. By the time it settles down, I've lost 1/4 of the beer. Having paid $25 for this one, I was NOT a happy camper... 2 finger off-white head disappears quickly, like the foam on a glass of soda. The body of the beer is opaque, and resembles pink grapefruit juice. (Did the little penguin in my refrigerator shake this one up on me or something?) Chunks of pink cherry pulp can be seen rising and falling through the side of the glass.

Flavor: Puckeringly tart. Lemon meets sour cherry meets musty funk. Very reminiscent of an "umeboshi" (Japanese pickled plum). The acidity worked very well with the thin slices of Gruyere that I enjoyed alongside.

Mouthfeel: Crisp bite from the carbonation. Much fuller mouthfeel than expected (medium-full), due to the cherry pulp and yeast in suspension. Tartness makes the mouth water.

Overall: I honestly enjoyed the aroma and taste of this one. However, the fact that I lost 1/4 of this relatively-expensive bottle from gushing left me feeling short-changed. Upland's blackberry, kiwi, and other lambics really sound interesting, but I don't think I can ever justify dropping $25 on one of these again.

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Batch 134-08, bottle 10/22/10. On removing the cork the beer began a slow gush, even after pouring a full glass the gushing continued. Easily managed but still a point to consider with opening this bottle.

The liquid is a murky pinkish color, maybe salmon pink. Lots of floaties, huge volume to the head which diminishes within minutes. Lots of dried sediment on the walls of the glass as it emptied.

Tart smelling, acetone and cherry. Honestly this is not an appealing smelling kriek, a bit too much nail polish and not enough cherry aroma. Same in the taste, this has an unpleasant background flavor of solvents. I tried and couldn't finish the whole bottle, a real shame. I'll give points for the sour edge but subtract them for poorly crafted flavor.

Not recommended, my least favorite lambic from Upland to date.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! A gusher! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a pinkish orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cherry, and sour. The flavor was of sweet malt, cherry, tart, sour, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma on this one was pretty good, but not very complex. This was okay as it was still quite nice. The flavor on this one was quite good though. The wood aspect on this one definitely added a new dimension to this one over the other Upland Lambics we had. Really worth trying if you get the chance.

A: Looks a lot like pulpy ruby red grapefruit juice when held to light. Lots of floaties. Not much of a head, but plenty of carbonation in this one.

S: Tart cherries out in front with some wood like smells.

T: Pretty tart throughout when fresh out of the fridge, but as it warms, there are some sweet flavors that balance this out. Cherry, oak, funk is mostly what I'm getting here. I can't quite figure out where the sweetness if coming from but it's nice.

M: Lots of carbonation causes almost a burning, tingling sensation. As mention earlier, this is pretty tart at times. Lots of cherry pulp towards the end of the bottle.

O: I like this a lot, but the high price tag would keep me from getting this again.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Red beer with a bit of a white head on it that didn't really stick around for very long.

S - smells like cherries, vanilla, and wood. Quite nice.

T - Vanilla, little bit of wood, sour and tannic, with some great cherry flavor on the end. The cherry is very real, but with just enough sweetness to balance and add to the tart notes.

M - Smooth with good carbonation.

O - Really enjoyed this beer, been having a good run with the Upland Lambics lately.

750ml bottle purchased at the released. Split with friends.

A - Pours a pinkish red, white fizzy head, thin cap, and some whisps.

S - Nice sour/tartness, sour cherries, oak, fruity. After having the blackberry, it was nice that this one had a lot more sour/tart notes.

T - Big sour cherries, lacto, oak, sweet fruit, tart cherry finish. The cherries are excellent and enjoyable and the tart notes compliment the fruity sweetness.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

O - Really enjoyable. The cherries are excellent and it's just a very easy to drink beer. Recommend.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 134-08, bottled on 10/22/10, 750 ml corked and caged bottle. Served in a flute, the beer pours a pinkish/orange color with about an inch light pink head that stayed around a little while. There's also some sediment floaties that I can see in the glass. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, oak, funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some lemon peel noticable. The cherry flavor is weak at first, but it does get somewhat stronger as the beer warms up more. With that being said, the cherry flavor still wasn't strong overall. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with high carbonation. I think it's a decent enough brew, I'd like to try Upland's other fruit lambics to see how they compare with this one.

2.02/5  rDev -47.9%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 10/22/10 bottled date. Thanks to Kyle for picking this up for me!

(A)- Gusher! A super cloudy pink to red blush color that produced some white froth. Alot of chunks made their way into my glass; not sediment, actual chunks that looked like cherry skins or something. Talk about unfiltered!

(S)- Ripe cherry pits and pie crust. Mildly tart and lactic with lots of dry oak.

(T)- Cherry pits and damp wood/oak. Some acidic funk, but otherwise straightforward.

(M)- Very thin and mellow with a kind of muted fruit/lambic feel. I almost had to chew this due to how much sediment and chunks of who knows what made it into my glass. Not much sour or funk to speak of.

(D)- Thus far, easily the most disappointing from the Upland Lambic lineup. The fruit is muted despite how fresh it is yet and there really isnt much else going on aside from some damp oak and very minute tartness. I literally almost had to chew this since there was so much "gunk" in this beer. I am sorry to say that this was a fail in my opinion.

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is a cloudy, hazy pink hue with a small head that leaves sparse lacing on the glass. The aroma brings some light funk with a healthy dose of tart cherries. The taste follows suit. This isn't among my favorite Upland lambics, but is enjoyable nonetheless. Oak barrel notes emerge more as the beer warms. The finish brings moderate acidity. Overall, a solid fruit lambic, and one I would certainly have again.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5

Bottle number 9 courtesy of johnbjaeger

A - cork and cage pours a color that can only be described as grapefruit with a nice bright white cap that quickly faded

S - Ah, this smells so good. wonderful funk, oak, some fruit, maybe cherries or some other sweetness.

T - the flavor seems to be cherry or strawberry, a mustiness mixed with some oak along with a bit of a medicinal quality to the finish.

M - light carbonation yet prickly in my mouth, medium body with a slightly puckering finish, the adicity is starting to get to me a bit

D - its good, I don't know if its something i'd go for more than once a night, and I wonder how my stomach will be afterward, but its really enjoyable.

I really liked this one, though one is enough at a time. So lets see what we have here...

Upland Cherry Lambic
nice! I wasn't expecting one of these. I've been curious and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.5/4/3.5/3.5/3.5

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike! Poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a deep red color with an inch of white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of acedic notes, some funk, oak, tart cherries, tart dark fruits, and vinegar. Nose is nice and tart.

t - Tastes of vinegar, acedic notes, oak, funk, tart cherries, and tart dark fruits again. Not as much cherry as I was expecting, and a lot of vinegar.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation in the mouth.

o - Overall a nice Upland lambic, but I preferred the Blackberry tonight. Not my favorite from Upland, but definitely worth checking out if you like their lambic offerings.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Early 2011 batch. Opened on May 28, 2011. I've enjoyed working my way through the Upland lambics, and this is the penultimate one in my current stash.

Pours a tea rose with a short-lived half-finger head. Subsequent pours yield a nice two finger bubbling head. It's "duller" than I expected in color.

Some tart cherry and wet oak on the nose, but there's also a lot of strawberry sweetness. Upland funk: straw, sweat, and a little bit of medicinal character.

Sweet/sour berries, musty funk, and lots of lactic acidity. Some lemon sourness and oak contrast the tart cherry dominated taste profile.

Medium with just over medium carbonation. Pretty lively. The lactic acidity lingers on the tongue; the feeling it brings about reminds me of holding a sour skittle to the tip of my tongue. Pretty sweet on the finish, all things considered.

Par for the course, this is an enjoyable American sour. Better than Strawberry, but not as good as Blackberry, Persimmon, or Peach, IMO. A little too sweet - when I came to write my review, I actually searched for Strawberry Lambic first, since that was the dominant berry note here, especially on the nose. Still, worth trying once.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle shard by Thorpe. Thanks! Beer is red and hazy with a white diffuse head. No lacing moderate carbonation.

The aroma of the beer is heavy with Brett b but as it warms it gets more cherry. The acetic and lactic acid present too.

Beer is pretty funky and sour with a mild tartness from the cherries. The beer is less cherry than I expected more acetic and stronger oakiness and Brett character than I expected. I liked it enough but it is not my favorite lambic of theirs.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle into a La Chouffe tulip. Sampled at the Batch 3 Rosso release; thanks to the kind soul who shared it!

A: Murky, cloudy red-orange body. Plenty of fine carbonation. Ok.

S: Sweet & sour cherry, with plenty of vanilla, dark fruit and oak on the tail end. Nice.

T: Big acidity up front, with sweet, sour, and sharp cherry following it up. Clean, straightforward, and tasty.

M: Lively, spiky, and full. I'm a fan.

O: This was a tasty enough cherry sour, but it paled in comparison to both of the other ones I sampled at the same release (Cisco Monomoy Kriek and 3F Oude Kriek '06). Nothing bad about it at all (I was afraid from the aroma that it would be too sweet overall, but the acidity in the flavor was terrific), but nothing really stood out, either. Worth trying if you're even slightly interested, but not something I'd go out of my way to have again.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Enjoyed at the NOVA BA tasting #1, big thanks to the BA who shared this with everyone.

If there was ever an occasion that required toast with a bottle that could produce a show..Upland is the way to go! Popped corked with a gorgous stream of red foam and liquid. The brew graces the air in a wonderfull color arrangement as the light shines through it...

Pours a hearty red color with a light pink head that forms and quickly disapears. Aroma is acidic with funk and a strong presence of cherries. Taste is a bit more acidic then its brother brew the blackberry. The acidic flavor is accompanied by the funk and cherries, which in this case the cherries stand out a bit more. Again with the mouthfeel as in the blackberry this brew felt great! My taste buds were left intack for the rest of the tasting which is greatly appreciated. Really enjoyed this brew and will purchase in the future.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured pink in color and looked a bit like grapefruit juice. I got some sediment in the pour as well. A thin, white, fizzy head stuck to the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a very sharp tartness to it with some nice sour and funky notes. I get a some acidic, vinegar notes to it as well, but not too bad. The cherries add to the tartness and also give it a little sweet, fruitiness. The cherries were great in the aroma and I love cherries.

The taste has a very strong sourness to it right off the bat. The cherries add a fantastic fresh, tart, fruity, slightly sweet flavor to it that I really enjoyed. A little bit acidic but the cherries really brought the sharp, sour flavors together.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall I thought this was an excellent beer. I really liked the tart cherry flavors it had as well as the big sourness. Very nice overall. I love cherries though so it wasn't a surprise I liked this one.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

From 750mL bottle to Boulevard tasting glass on 5/7/11
Sampled at the 1st NoVA BA Tasting Extravaganza
*From notes

WARNING: This is a serious gusher. Please plan accordingly when opening!

A: Cloudy, light pink grapefruit in color. An extreme amount of tiny white floaties swim around in the glass. One finger head and next to zero lacing.

S: Funky like Rick James. It's barnyardy yet slightly sweet on the nose.

T: Intense - this isn't a beginner's sour. The funk broadsides my palate immediately, as the tart cherries are quite apparent on the finish. Complex, mouthwatering and simply delicious.

M: Slightly slick, but carbonated well.

O: My first run-in with Upland's suds, and may I say I came away throughly impressed. A memorable brew, one that showcases what the good ol' US of A can do with a classic style. I can't recommend this one enough.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottled 10-22-2010. Batch 134-08 Poured into a Founder's Tulip.

A: Pours a murky light pinkish color, almost looks exactly like grapefruit juice. 1.5 finger white foam that settles down.

S: Not very aromatic, but there are hints of funky in there. You have to dig pretty deep to get the cherry scent, but it is there.

T: A good cherry flavor comes through right away, it is semi-sweet with a touch of oak. Not overly tart or sour, but the funk is noticeable, it just isn't in your face. The flavor of the cherries is done really well.

M/D: Highly carbonated as all of the Upland Lambics have been. Medium body. Nice dry finish to the beer, quite refreshing.

Overall: I would like to see this beer be more aromatic, especially in the funk and cherry department. Also, this would have been way better if it were a little more sour, but having said that, this beer was really good. I thought the flavor of the cherries really saved this beer.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to Mark for sending this one my way. Generous as always...

Bottle from the early 2011 release.

A: The beer pours a hazed pinkish-red with a short lived white head.

S: Quite a bit funkier than most of the other Upland lambics. Plenty of straw and grass with a strong wet oak note to it as well. Lemon and cherries give a nice tartness and fruitiness to the nose.

T: The cherries are mildly sweet and there is some substantial sourness to the beer as well, mostly lemon and lemon zest. Plenty of oak and grass along with a somewhat musty funk note.

M: Medium in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: One of the better lambics from Upland thus far. I quite enjoyed this one.

This lambic poured a light bodied spritzer like, faded rose in color with a one finger white head. The head quickly dissipated to lace the glass. It didn't look like the other lambics that I've had from Upland to date. It was a lot lighter in color and looks to be more carbonated. Also, this bottle didn't gush like some of the others have. The aroma is a nice, tart cherry upfront with little funk. The flavor too is all business. You get tart cherry with just the lightest touch of Upland's house yeast. It also has a nice dry finish. This seems to be one of Upland's more forward lambics, meaning it's closest in flavor to the fruit they are featuring (the Peach is probably the second closest). Like I said, this beer is more carbonated than their others. It's a fine drink and a pretty good sour. Is it great? Probably not, but it's worth trying and they only make between 400 and 450 bottles per batch.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours with a one finger head that quickly disappears. No retention or lacing. Faint reddish pink hue reminiscent of grapefruit juice.

Slightly artificial aroma. Cherries are present on the nose, and a straw/barnyard/sweaty sock aroma is evident from the brett. Slightly medicinal/chemical aroma.

Nice cherry flavor on the front end, midpalate is too sweet and medicinal, finishes with a hint of funk.

Fine carbonation; very effervescent. A little syrupy. Overall, good mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent effort - nowhere near as good as blackberry or blueberry, in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how this develops at the fruit character dies down a little. Should improve as the brett dries this out.

Cherry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company