Cherry Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

uplandbeer.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by hrking on 10-02-2008

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a tall pilsner glass.
Hand-written bottle date: 10/20/10 (Batch 134-08)

Aroma: Sour, wild bretty funk. An acetic/vinegar note. No real cherry coming across, but smell reminds me of the last kriek I had. The aroma clues me into the fact that this one's going to be more like an authentic kriek than a sweet, sugary Lindemann's lambic.

Appearance: "Thar she blows!" Upon popping the cork to a loud "POP!", beer begins gushing rapidly from the bottle. By the time it settles down, I've lost 1/4 of the beer. Having paid $25 for this one, I was NOT a happy camper... 2 finger off-white head disappears quickly, like the foam on a glass of soda. The body of the beer is opaque, and resembles pink grapefruit juice. (Did the little penguin in my refrigerator shake this one up on me or something?) Chunks of pink cherry pulp can be seen rising and falling through the side of the glass.

Flavor: Puckeringly tart. Lemon meets sour cherry meets musty funk. Very reminiscent of an "umeboshi" (Japanese pickled plum). The acidity worked very well with the thin slices of Gruyere that I enjoyed alongside.

Mouthfeel: Crisp bite from the carbonation. Much fuller mouthfeel than expected (medium-full), due to the cherry pulp and yeast in suspension. Tartness makes the mouth water.

Overall: I honestly enjoyed the aroma and taste of this one. However, the fact that I lost 1/4 of this relatively-expensive bottle from gushing left me feeling short-changed. Upland's blackberry, kiwi, and other lambics really sound interesting, but I don't think I can ever justify dropping $25 on one of these again.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours with a one finger head that quickly disappears. No retention or lacing. Faint reddish pink hue reminiscent of grapefruit juice.

Slightly artificial aroma. Cherries are present on the nose, and a straw/barnyard/sweaty sock aroma is evident from the brett. Slightly medicinal/chemical aroma.

Nice cherry flavor on the front end, midpalate is too sweet and medicinal, finishes with a hint of funk.

Fine carbonation; very effervescent. A little syrupy. Overall, good mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent effort - nowhere near as good as blackberry or blueberry, in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how this develops at the fruit character dies down a little. Should improve as the brett dries this out.

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a nice murky ruby color, almost like the inside of a grapefruit. A few floaties in there with about a fingers worth of bubbly head that dissipated fairly quickly.

S.

aroma on this is a little weak. The brett is in there, but not as funky as say, their strawberry. The cherry is in there, but I had to dig my nose in a glass a few times to really point out the fact that it really IS cherry. Perhaps a subtle aroma of an old sock drawer in this as well.

T.

Decent lambic qualities with its sourness and a little tartness. The cherry/fruit in this beer is a little sweet, almost like syrupy sweet, but not as bad as a Lindemans. I was hoping for something a little more barnyardy with less sweetness.

M.

About medium bodied, with an OK carbonation. I could go for a little more of that prickly sensation in the mouth. Finish is slightly dry, however there is a touch of sweetness coating the mouth. Almost like an artificial sweetener feel to it.

O.

I'm a little disappointed by this as cherry is usually my favorite lambic flavor. The "cherry" was a little hard to point out in this beer, however the fruity sweetness was not. These beers are pricey and a pain to obtain which knocks this as well. I've had the blackberry from this same batch and I thought that was MUCH better than this.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large shared bottle in Atlanta.
Hazy reddish body with an excellent head.
Aroma: funky, cherry, yeasty.
Flavor: very tart and surprisingly bready. Cherries are evident, especially in the finish and early aftertaste.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

RBSG09 bottle at the grand tasting. Thanks whoever brought this! Pours a dark orangey goldenrod hue with a fluffy white head. Sour lemony aroma with some faint cherry pit notes. Tart and lemony, acidic, no real cherry flavor. Some wood and yeast there too. Effervescent and light bodied.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

750ml bottle purchased at the Upland Tasting Room in Indianapolis.

A: Cloudy pink hue with a razor thin head and some bubbles in the body. No lace on my pour. Average appearance.

S: Bing cherries, flower petals, oak wood, strawberry jam, barnyard funk (horse blanket, wet hay), crab apple, and a mild yeastiness. Solid aromas that are consistent with the style.

T: Sour cherry, lemon juice, oak wood, moderate sweetness, and raspberry upfront; lightly drying finish with more sour cherry and woody flavours on the cough. Straightforward but satisfying palate.

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, big sour tartness (bordering on puckering) transitions to an off-dry finish with lingering sour-woody afters.

O: A basic but enjoyable lambic that falls well short of greatness. Tasty and fun to try, but I probably wouldn't buy this again.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this is supposed to be some pretty special stuff, especially name dropping lambic so casually, and i was pumped to try it, but the experience was a letdown in retrospect. its hazy cherry red, like a ford mustang without the shine, sexy, but soft, pleasant. more carbonation than i am accustomed to in a lambic, which i like. the nose is fruity as anything, jammy, a tad sweet, but tart too, intensely so in fact, lactic and caustic almost, definitely too much to do a bottle alone. i get that from the smell alone. the taste is well fruited, not as authentic as some of its peers, but reasonable on the sugar and candy front. the sourness of this beer is aggressive, almost unnecessary, its punishing and coats the throat with a drying rough sensation like i swallowed one thousand sour patch kids at once. the fruit gets a little more sweet and fake seeming as it warms, but when i focus i can get fresh cherries. the sourness is a distraction from everything else, and the wheat malt base is simply not enough to convey the intended message here. carbonation is enjoyable, but the drying burning mouthfeel is annoying to me, it serves no purpose. a step short of something like motherfunker, but this is not an elite fruited sour in my eyes, still keen to try their kiwi and others, but this was in the B range at best.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my buddy Michael for the opportunity to try this beer. Opened this one at La Bella with Joey and Danny.

The beer was a rosy color, like a blushed cheek, with almost no foam. Lots of yeast sediment like all the other Upland Lambics so far, making the beer look more like a yogurt.

The aroma consisted of cherry pits, but not as intense as I thought it would be, also some leather and a decent amount of funk. Very yeasty too.

Same flavor as the aroma with a bit of plastic in the finish....a bit of tart cherry flavor, not very complex at all.

Best feature of the beer was the carbonation, bubbly in the middle with a decent finish. I'm glad I opened this one with some friends as I would have had some trouble finishing the beer by myself...average at best.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. I'm not exactly sure on the release dates, but I believe this bottle was a little under two years old when we had it.

Pours a golden color with a bit of a red-orange tint to it. Faint white head without much lacing. The nose brings some muted cherry characteristics along with a bit of earth and maybe some light, light oak. The taste is again mild cherries with a bit of sourness and light grain. Not much funk or barnyard. I was glad to try this, but it was the least interesting of the lambics that I've had from them.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5

Bottle number 9 courtesy of johnbjaeger

A - cork and cage pours a color that can only be described as grapefruit with a nice bright white cap that quickly faded

S - Ah, this smells so good. wonderful funk, oak, some fruit, maybe cherries or some other sweetness.

T - the flavor seems to be cherry or strawberry, a mustiness mixed with some oak along with a bit of a medicinal quality to the finish.

M - light carbonation yet prickly in my mouth, medium body with a slightly puckering finish, the adicity is starting to get to me a bit

D - its good, I don't know if its something i'd go for more than once a night, and I wonder how my stomach will be afterward, but its really enjoyable.

I really liked this one, though one is enough at a time. So lets see what we have here...

Upland Cherry Lambic
nice! I wasn't expecting one of these. I've been curious and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.5/4/3.5/3.5/3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle sample at Crown #19.

Poured a cloudy reddish yellow color with an average frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Moderate to heavy sour fruity and yeasty aroma.

Medium body with a sticky texture and soft carbonation.

Medium fruity sour flavor with a medium sour finish of moderate duration.

This is a very good lambic.

Cherry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company