Peach Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

Peach LambicPeach Lambic

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by younger35 on 10-13-2008

Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 394
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a wine glass, very nice golden, orange color. Little head that quickly went away. Not picking up an peach in the nose, just the sour alcohol smell. Decently harsh. Taste. Wow! Huge sour up front. Hits you in the corner of your jaw. Finished with an amazing peach flavor. One of the most fruit forward flavored lambics I've ever tried. Slightly undercarbed. I get what the Upland hype is all about now.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

750 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled on 10/12/10, Batch 42-90. This bottle was a slow gusher when I opened it. Served in a flute, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with some floaties, and about an inch carbonated white head that fizzled away quickly. There isn't much lacing. Aroma is nice, it smells like tart and sweet peaches, lemon peel, and musty, earthy funk. I think the taste is similar to the aroma. The sour/tart flavors are stronger than the sweet peach ones, but the tartness isn't overpowering at all. As the beer warms up, the peach flavors really come out more. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's refreshing and well carbonated. I think it's a good brew, I liked it. $19.79 a bottle at Liquor Barn.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

Gracias to Rempo for hooking me up on the Peach lambic! Very fun to try (I open all of my Upland lambics with my wife) and I would definitely try again. Tons of peach aroma on the front end. Quit yeast near the end, more grainy and less aromatic at the finale. Initially poured very clear and then clouded up on the second pour. Mouthfeel was average to me (I prefered the mouthfeel on the blueberry a bit more). Smell was the best attribute for me on this one and the wife liked it more once it warmed up a bit.

4.19/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle served in a CCB snifter. 2010 vintage.

A: Pours a hazy peach color with a thin white head forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin ring, not much lace.

S: A ton of peach sweetness with a mild yogurt and underlying tartness to it. Sweet wheat and cracker malts with a little lactic sourness. Some mild grass.

T: Same as the nose. A ton of fresh peach with a gummi peach candy like sweetness to it. Sweet cracked wheat/cracker malt combo with mild lactic sourness. Some drying tartness on the finish.

M: Light bodied with some spritzy carbonation. Drying finish.

O: Definitely enjoyed this one as I'm a fan of peach. The played off the sweetness of the peach very well.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

I had this at the bottle share during Jackie O's bottle release this weekend. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours an orangish golden color with a layer of white head and some nice lacing.

Smell: Tart citrus notes with a mild peach smell. Funky haylike smell in there as well.

Taste: Very smooth and funky. Crisp with a nice, mild citrus peach flavor. Quite good and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: The body is light with a tingle of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This was more refreshing than the raspberry. Not quite as sour either. Really good.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a hazy, vibrant light orange topped by a thin white head and big flocks of white sediment stirring around the bottom. The nose is vaguely funky, with light tart peach notes, a hint if puke, and some grain. It's a tart and grainy sour with fantastic peach flavor, some lemon & Granny Smith apple, a great malt backbone, and subtle fruitiness that lingers in the finish. For an upland, this is a very approachable, medium bodied, reasonably carbonated, and drinkable sour (not super acidic) that amplifies a subtle peach characteristic and maintains a great grain and yeast presence alongside. I'd highly recommend this beer and would rank it as one of my favorite uplands.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Bottled in 12/13, consumed in 3/15. The age has mellowed it nicely.

Pours gold with light pink hues. Smells tart and acidic, like all other Upland Lambics, but not nearly as aggressive and undrinkable as their raspberry.

Tastes very intense and very good. Generic lactic acid starts things out, but it gets supplemented quickly by big nodes of sweet, mellow peaches. There's a tiny bit of funk on the back end, but overall it's just tart acid balanced by sweet peaches. Very nice.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Sean at our mini sour tasting in honor of McDiddypop's engagement.

UPLAND PEACH IS A MISSILE. If you invert the bottle and unscrew the cage, it will fly all the way to the magnetosphere.

A - What remains pours a turbid peach hue, with a good bit of with froth and effervescence still remaining.

S - The nose is sticky and overripe peach, heavily, with a big funk that seems to be deeply aligned with the natural peach character. In essence, it smells like a pile of fallen rotting peaches in a peach orchard. Sweaty and farmy notes are gleaned as well.

T - The taste is right in line with the aroma, and offers tart and fruit-juicy notes of peach, vinegar and lactic acid. I get some medicinal Brett in the background, but it is mostly obscured by fruit and acidity. The brew is very reminiscent of peach kombucha.

M - A bit thin and spritzy for my liking, and overcarbonated upon opening, obviously.

O - This is another very nice fruit-forward lambic from Upland; I've yet to be disappointed by any of their fruit Lambic. If the carbonation issues were handled, I'd hold it in even higher esteem.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Thanks to kstrickler for picking this up for me!

(A)- Gusher! Thankfully I had glasses nearby; probably only lost a few ounces. Pours a cloudy pale orange color. Produced a small white head that dissipated to bubbles.

(S)- A dry acidic fresh peach fruit blast. Some subtle grapefruit too. Mildly lactic in a sour sense.

(T)- A very dry, yet acidic heavy peach and orange fruit flavor. Not super sour, but the acidity is nice and sets a nice background tartness to it overall.

(M)- A nice carbonation level and balance. A great acidic fruit presence. Not very complex, but it delivers its fruit sour kick well.

(D)- A solid lambic from the states. A fitting sour/acidic kick with a refreshing fruit profile. Crisp and refreshing; a great sour for the warmer weather that is approaching. I could have finished this whole bottle easily.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Started as a light golden color and when we got down to the yeast, it clouded things up.

S - Very funky with a bit of peach. More wild ale than peach.

T - The taste is very complex, and strange. The predominant flavor is funk and sour/tart flavors. There is a slight hint of peach on the aftertaste, but not a ton.

M/D - Mouthfeel is very even and smooth considering the extreme flavors. I would call this something I'm glad that I'm splitting with people because I wouldn't want this bottle to myself.

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

review from notes of 11/11/2011.

poured into snifter.

Appearance: This beer takes on the color of a light peach skin. Head is white and fades quickly.

Smell: Funk seems a bit mild in the nose. You do get a decent amount of peach smell.

Taste: mild peach flavor and this beer does have a little bit less than the normal amount of funky notes from most Upland Lambics. The sour does not seem to be quite as intense either. It still tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with high carbonation levels. Clean and refreshing; even eppervesant quality.

Overall: Its a nice beer and its enjoyable, but I am not a huge fan of peaches, but I would drink it again.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Big thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with myself and funkydelic during one of our weekly tastings! Bottled on 10/12/10. Batch 42-09. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount very quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, peaches, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty tasty brew. I found it quite odd that there was no sign of the peaches in the aroma on this one. However the flavor made up for this fact as the peaches were quite prominant. Just something about peaches mixed with sour/tart notes that make me all fuzzy inside (no pun intended). Really glad I got to try this one and I suggest you do as well.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

A: The bottles opened with a huge pop and slight explosion of head that was quickly placed in the sink. Orange pour without much head. Really looks a lot like champaign with all the bubbles.

S: Pretty much getting all sour from the smell with some hints of peaches.

T: Tart and sweetness balance the sour taste nicely. Peaches provide the sweet taste and really drown out any vinegar.

MF: Certainly no lack of carbonation in this beer! Very light body.

O: I liked this beer. I'm rarely impressed by sours, as my palate seems to not be privy to them at the moment, but this was pretty good.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to sweemzander to popping this one open.

Upland...more like upchuck! This thing gushed out like crazy. Thankfully we were outside. Once poured it had a hazy peach and orange color to it. Slight white head.

Smelled of peaches, some yeast, sour patch kids, sugars and even some grapefruit made its way in there.

The peach is strong, its stays with you through the whole taste, even far after the beer is gone. You can almost breathe it up. The sourness is strong up front and has a nice, even taper off to the back of the taste. Does have a slight earthy aspect to it, kind of like what you would get from the skin of the peach.

It's acidic but doesn't have as much of a pucker as sours. Sweeter and less complex.

There is a lot of fruit and a lot of carbonation, but it blends itself and balances out once in a glass and sitting for a few minutes. Big on the one flavor and not a real blended beer, more straight forward. Quite tasty.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

2010 bottle, this courtesy of backfat (thanks Dave!). Opened on a quiet Friday night.

This is a gusher, thankfully a slow one. As with all lambic and gueuze I opened the bottle outside, as I'm smarter than the beer. No mess in the house for me.

It pours a very murky orange, with what initially is a nice several fingers of foam, but is gone in seconds, leaving not even a ring. What's left looks like a Tequila Sunrise.

Nice aroma, good lactic component and a nice funk, with peaches taking a strong lead too. strong peach presence behind quite a bit of a lactic character and some mild funk. Really this smelled better than I expected, very nice.

Same with the taste, nicely sour with good peach flavors. Light carbonation, still a little buzzy on the tongue. Nice.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy orangish color with no head and some floaters. Nose has the signature upland acidic punch along with fleshy peach notes. The taste is very tart up front with nice juicy peaches in the middle. The finish has some light oak and nice fruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation. Overall this is another nice sour that has a high degree of tartness and plenty of fruit.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

This bottle pours the muddiest or apricot oranges with no head at all. It began to foam really quickly but I poured all of it before it could billow out of the bottle. It smells like a very, very dry fruit infused sour. It also has a good amount of hay and funkiness. It tastes of dried apricot and of dried peach skins. It reminds me of dried fruit through and through. The bitterness is both efficient and appealing. The flavor is between apricot and peach, which is confusing. I do like it though. It drinks very crisp. The carbonation is actually perfect, especially considering it began to foam and then that was it. This beer was good but probably not $20 a bottle good. It's a good sour, which I had been told, but it wasn't spectacular. I realize it was a 400 or so bottle batch but it could've been better. I have another bottle so hopefully it gets better with time. Good beer though, not great.

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

This immediately brings to mind that Presidents of the United States of America song - 'Peaches,' excerpted below:

Movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches
I'm movin to the country gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin' to the country gonna eat a lot of peaches

I took a little nap where the roots all twist
Squished a rotten peach in my fist
And dreamed about you woman
I poked my finger down inside makin' a little room for a ant to hide
Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Millions of peaches peaches for me
Millions of peaches peaches for free
Millions of peaches peaches for me
Millions of peaches peaches for free

----

What? Let me say, this beer is far superior to that craptastical novelty act. It looks like nothing special and smells a bit funky if unspectacular, but it tastes like melted fizzy Georgia love fruit. At first, when I poured, I was whelmed (not under or over), with some good tart, but not a load of fruit. I realize now it was too cold (like your heart). As it warms, the peach flavor really comes out to slap you in the face with fuzzy amazing. The aftertaste is sweet, but not cloying. I wish I had more of this...

p.s. Screw that band. Seriously.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into multiple glasses. Thanks to emerge077 for sharing.

2008 release

A: Pours a hazy, glowing apricot nectar color. A thin, bubbly layer of foam spreads out on top before disappearing completely. No lace.

S: Scented of peach flesh with moderately tangy skin and whiffs of vinegar.

T: See above.

M: Not too sour. More tangy than anything else. Dry and palate cleansing.

O: Pretty frigging good. Easy to drink and suprisingly refreshing.

Thank you very much to Mark for picking all these lambics up for me. Enjoyed on St. Patrick's Day evening.

A: Luckily this didn't explode like my bottle of Strawberry did, but it is highly carbonated and a cloudy orange color with a big white head.

S: Plenty of peach aroma to this. Like a lot of peach beers, a fairly pronounced bacterial aroma, but the amount of peach fruit and skin smell is quite nice. A moderate oak character along with a touch of grass.

T: A very solid peach flesh and skin flavor which stays on the tongue throughout the sip. Still sort of on the sweet side for a lambic, but there is a nice acidity to it. Just a touch of tannic fruit skin/pit and oak.

M: Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: On the sweet side, but the fresh peach flavor is really enjoyable. One of the better Upland lambic varieties.

750 ml bottle enjoyed with friends at a bottle share. Review from memory...bear with me.

P: This beer literally explodes out of the bottle when cracked. Gave me a nice lambic bath. Slightly murky, golden orange body, with a lot of fizzy, slightly orange head. Dies out quickly, leaving some lacing.

A: Nice aromas of peaches, more sour than sweet. Lots of "barnyard" aromas; musty and earthy. More sourness, a la Brett.

T: Great, puckering, peach tartness, but not overly tart. Some slight vinegar, but not much. Earthy yeast. Some peach sweetness at the end, but is cut by the over all dryness of the body.

This was a great drink. I was worried that there would be too much peach sweetness, but the fruit is used perfectly here.

Opened as a palette cleanser for our epic barrel aged stout tasting.

Pours a murky yellowish orange with a nice white head. The head dissipates quickly. The beer looks fairly pretty. Smells funky and sour with a lot of nice light fruit flavours. The peach is. S subtle on the nose. The tastes is nicely fruity. Lots of light peach flavours. Vry well carbonated and a solid mouthfeel

Bottle. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip glass a cloudy opaque amber orange color with a white head that collars around the glass. Nice Sour aroma of peach, apricot, lemon zest, and slight vinegar. It’s not overly peachy in flavor. Slightly sweet start with hints of fruit, lemon, slight medicinal, and a white wine flavor like Chardonnay. The sourness level is moderate. No apparent alcohol notes. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation. Clean ending.

Bottle courtesy of JCB (thanks Jason!). Pours a cloudy light orange with no real head. Aroma is quite funky and sour with a small touch of bitter hops. Nice oakiness with slight fruity notes. Flavor of coconut (unusual, but I definitely taste it...) and tangy peach. Very little acidity. Not enough peach for me, but still quite a good lambic. I'm glad I got to try this!
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this. 2010 vintage.

3.5 A: Opaque dark orange color. Two fingers of off-white, fizzy, soda-like head fell at breakneck speed and left no lacing.

4.0 S: The nose is simple, but quite pleasant. Lots of peach, especially as this one warms up. Then a moderate amount of oak and a hefty vanilla component, which gives the illusion of peaches and creme. The nose isn't very sour, per se, but it is tart with lactic acid fruitiness.

4.0 T: The taste is a lot more sour than the nose. There's a considering acidic component with moderate acetic notes and plenty of tangy lactic fruitiness. Peach is prominent again, while the oak and vanilla are a bit softer. A nice residual sweetness balances the sourness. A mild tannic astringency.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess as well. Goes down easy.

4.0 D: Another well made wild from Upland. This one is already decently sour. I wonder how it will age. Anyway, solid all around.

Peach Lambic from Upland Brewing Company