Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

Reviews: 152 | Ratings: 422
4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

Appearance: 4.75
Aroma: 5
Flavor: 4.75
Mouthfeel: 4.75
Overall score: 4.75

Bought as a single 12 oz bottle from Kroger's Grocery in Elkhart, IN.

Gloriously good beer!

The best Belgian stye whit beer I've had in awhile. Gleaming light golden liquid with a big white head.

Exquisite spice-laden aroma. Cloves and nutmeg are very present.

Flavor is a mouthful. Lots and of spices. Nice grain notes. A tiny bit of sweetness. A tiny bit of orange-citrus. Very crisp.

Luscious mouthfeel. Nice texture in the mouth, with a slight prickle.

Extremely sessionabe. I wish I bought more than one.

4.67/5  rDev +31.5%

This is my personal favorite beer from Upland. Light and citrusy with a great tart bite. color was cloudy paleish yellowish. definitely a great late spring/summer beer with great drinkability. could definitely down a few of these at a time. not too much of a hop presence, which is fine. so much better than, say, a blue moon.

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

For starters, this review might be a little biased because I'm originally from Bloomington and throughout College practically lived on this stuff! Upland Wheat will always have a place in my fridge and is a very decent Belgian Witbier.

Since they have opened the Upland Tasting Room in Indianapolis I now have the ability to get my growlers filled quite easily. Although I've had the wheat in bottles and on-tap in B-town the growler experience is definetly not one to be skipped!

(a)- Color is very traditional of a Wit-Bier, light in color with a heavy haze due to the lack of filtering. Pours with little head and beads discipate into the brew. (4/5)

(s)- Ahhh...now that's why I think of Upland whenever I get my hands on good fruit and not the other way around! The beer has an amazing aroma and strong citrus smells. I've found that when served with an orange the experience can be quite much. I'm probably one of the few that has no problem skipping the garnish. Some hints of lemon are very easy to notice as well. (4.5/5)

(t)- Boom! The taste is what makes this Upland's flagship brew. Carries a great tart and crisp bite with every gulp. I've always joked with friends that it's like the opposite of a sweet-tart, it grabs you up front and then finishes with sweet citrus taste. Everyime I go awhile without this beer I'm instantly reminded why it will forever be a staple! (4.5/5)

(m)- Very light and bouncy. Not too heavy for all the citrus accents and is very easy on the tongue. You definetly get to taste and experience every spice and flavor with every sip. (4/5)

(d)- Finally, I believe this category is what makes this beer great. With an IBU around 11 this beer is perfect for a Summer day with friends to a full-on dinner in Winter. This beer has the ability to be re-visited over and over. I often find myself starting and finishing a series with this brew. (5/5)

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Excellent wheat beer. It came to the table with just a slight head, but it had excellent lacing. It was a nice golden color, very cloudy. The taste was great, with a nice, but not overwhelming, citrus kick to it, very crisp and clean. It went down smooth, very refreshing. An excellent wheat beer.

4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

Aroma: Rich wheat and bread aromas are forefront. Slight hints of banana and yeast phenols are present, but pleasing. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color with a cloudy wheat haze. A thin white head forms a lace along the outside of the glass.

Flavor: Robust presence of malted sweet wheat hits the tongue, lingers with a yeasty presence of banana then fades to a light citrus hop bite in the finish. Finishes clean but not drying.

Mouthfeel: Medium body from the wheat and malt presence. Carbonation is medium to high with effervesant tingling on the tongue and back of the throat.

Overall Impression: An excellent example of the style. With the light presence of the banana aroma it's hard to say if they were going for an American Wheat or the German Hefeweizen style, but either way this beer hits a great balance between flavor, aroma, and refreshment.

4.47/5  rDev +25.9%

This was one of my first craft beers that was not oberon, blue moon, etc. It was actually at a Ruby Tuesdays in Muncie. Poured a light golden color almost looks like lemonade. Smell I do not really remember too much because I had just started getting into craft beers. Taste was great for a new craft beer fan, pretty light not too strong or overpowering but tasted great. I could drink these all night and love it. Something that I will for sure get again.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

Pale and slightly hazy gold (perhaps a bit closer to brass) body, with a decent head. Head fades quickly, leaving a thin lace (with just a bit of 'cling' to it) around the edge. Aroma of orange and coriander dominate the brew. It smells fruity and spicy. Flavor is very herbal and spicy. The brewers use heather in the ale, and it is readily apparent in the flavor. The heather blends wonderfully with the hops, malt, orange, coriander, and whatever other spices they put in this wonderful concoction. The beer is light and zesty on the tongue, with a slightly dry finish that leaves you ready for another deep draught. Great refreshing brew from a local Indiana brewery...I love it!

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

Had this beer on tap at Mo's Irish Pub in Noblesville,IN.

Served in a pint glass,the color was a hazy straw color with a fairly decent head. The beer has a unique smell that is a good mixture of wheat and corriander. The taste is consistent with the smell, orange peel, corriander and an almost nutty wheat flavor. The alcohol was very subtle and the beer was not too bitter. All in all this was a very drinkable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Once again I'm torn between reviewing on how closely it matches the style or on how much I enjoy drinking it. This time, I'm going with how much I enjoy it, because I think it might in the wrong category.

20 oz imperial pint in a nonic pint glass

Beer arrived a very cloudy light golden/yellow capped with a .25 inch head that stubbornly held on better than I expected in a wheat.

Smell was simple and straight forward wheat. Very clean and pleasant.

The flavor of this beer is simple for a witbier. It simply tastes like a wheat beer, no real other flavors there. No banana characteriscs that a common in witbiers. Its just plain simple goodness and very refreshing. Wheat beer fanatics are probably not going to like it much, but I think it is excellent for what it is.

A great beer for someone trying their very first wheat beer.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

A QUICK NOTE:
I've lived in Indiana for almost 9 months now, and this is my first review of the state's second-biggest brewery. Why? Because I don't review stale beer if it's got a date stamped on its bottle, and it's rare to find this fresh on the shelves. Kudos to Upland for marking their beer, but boo to all the Lafayette-area liquor stores that absolutely refuse to maintain their stocks.

Pours very light for a wit, gold and slightly hazy and the bubbles are like champagne. It's not what I was expecting, but it's pretty.

Smells nice but pretty faint. Lots of wheatmalt with good nodes of lemongrass and white pepper.

Tastes a little bit more intense. Biggish lemon, biggish pepper. Light all around but there's no off nodes. Lots of times with beers like these they just drop off in the middle or the end, things are going along fine and then all of a sudden its like you got a mouth full of seltzer

Doesn't have the thick chewiness that I look for in a wit but this is more a light drinking summer beer than a big, ponderous wit. For what it is, it is excellent.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Bottle via trade with GCurlow – thanks!

Pours a hazy yellow-gold color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with solid amounts of wheat twang. Also present are light and sweet spices and lighter amounts of floral hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as robust. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid wheat flavors. Slight citrus hops come into play midway through the sip before being pushed aside by light spices. The spices fade out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this beer – easy to drink and complex enough to keep things interesting. Worth a shot.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

I poured this ale from a 12oz brown bottle into my Allagash stemmed tulip.

A= Poured an appropriately cloudy pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch snow white head. The head started at 1" and dropped by half every couple minutes or so until it got to a long lasting 1/8" cap. Lots of good looking lace.

S= This ale packed wonderful Belgian aromas, showcasing all the citrus, spice and maltiness a good wit should.

T= Much like the aroma, the flavors in this one were soft and balanced yet delicious and undeniably Belgian. Initial malty and citric sweetness led to yeasty phenolic and estery goodness. Finished with a nice bit of tartness.

MF= This brew had a medium body and high but not biting carbonation level that made it east to quaff.

D= Very very solid Belgian wit here. Easily the best one I have had from a Midwest brewer. Will be drinking this a lot from now on!

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Cloudy apricot gold with a bubbly white head, the beer invites me to investigate more closely. Citrus and floral ester dominates the aroma with a bit of spice thrown in. Very nice. The taste immediately strikes me crisp and fruity, with a malty / yeasty finish. I also notice spice in the lingering aftertaste... cloves maybe. This is a medium to light bodied wheat, with a slightly oily finish. Drinks very smooth, and I think I could easily drink this one all night long! A very nice (and locally brewed) wheat, that I will no doubt be drinking again soon.

4.17/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this on tap at a local pub. The taste of this brew is decent as well as the color. this the mouthfeel is a little weak. Its a lot like a blue moon. A cheap brew with a decent taste. The beer is pretty drinkable but its just looks okay. Its just a fun beer

overall this is a cheap and tastey brew.

4.13/5  rDev +16.3%

Bought this six pack at a local liquor store.
This is the first Upland beer I've tried and I like it.
Drank it from the bottle, so I didn't notice much of a head ot the color.
Smell is good. It smells like beer, but is rather faint.
Taste is good,not too hoppy and no bad aftertaste
Mouthfeel is good, it's rather light but very enjoyable.
A nice beer, very drinkable. Glad I bought it.
Makes me proud to be a Hoosier...

4.07/5  rDev +14.6%

Came from the tap at the Loon Lake Lodge outside Indianapolis Mo. I had originally wanted the Poor Elmer Porter but they were out and I had to settle for the Wheat. I didn't regret this one bit!
It appeared cloudy orange with a decent head that disappeared within about 10 minutes. The cloudiness never faded but it didn't matter.
I remember smelling spices, oranges, and maybe a little lemon. It was definitely a citrus beer. Not overpowering but strong.
The taste was fantastic! The orange and spices came on strong but small enough for an excellent mix that finished very nicely. A dangerous beer on a hot summer day. I could go for another and I hope I can find it in bottle form in Columbus.

4.07/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Made sure to roll the bottle first to get some of the yeast in it, tastes much better with it.

Appearance is a cloudy straw yellow with a half inch white head that falls to a skim. No lacing is left behind.

Aroma is sweet with a nice citrusy, lemon-like fruitiness and some mild spicy phenols.

Taste starts with a grainy sweetness accompanied by some sweet orange. Midway through some spicy, clove-like phenols come out and with the lingering fruitiness it makes it seem a bit like lemon without the sour, like the candy. Finishes clean, with the sweetness and spiciness lingering together.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, but definitely appropriate for the style. Very creamy carbonation with a crisp bite. Refreshing summer ale.

I gotta show some love for this beer, after all it was probably the first beer that started to push me towards craft beers. Turns out it's actually a really good witbier that is very true to style. Last time I had it I thought it was not good, I think swirling in some yeast helped a lot.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%

It's about time! I have been enjoying this for 8 years at the New Alberian brewing co in New Albany, IN. They said it was a guest beer, but every time I go, I get a pint. This time, I saw it in the bottle, so I bought it and enjoyed lots. Pours cloudy, light yellow with a slight cream look. No head, and little lace. Smells sweet, lemony, slight juicy fruit and earthy malt.

Mouth is foamy, a small bite in the middle and a remainder of maybe Trix cereal.

This hasn't changed. It has all the things I like about a hefe, only understated. Lemon is strong balancing the malt and the hops make a perfect bitter addition, also not overpowering. It's light as a glass of water, but with that punch of wheat and hops in the center.

Needless to say, where and when I am near this beverage, even in the winter, it's really refreshing so I have one.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%

The draught version of this beer (particularly on a warm evening) really outshines its bottled counterpart. Pours a nifty orangish color with average head. Smell of fruit (particularly orange) is dominant, but the taste is more sophisticated. Soft fruity taste dominates but finishes in a herbal crispness typical of wheat beers. Quite smooth, and dangerously drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +13.2%

Good looking beer. Very very clear for a Wit. Its not usually this clear. Its been sitting in the fridge undisturbed for 3 days, but still. Nice light golden/yellow color with healthy carbonation.

Very nice nose. Big fruity esters and spicy clove like aromas. Also some definate spice. Kind of gingery. but definately cloves.

Decent tasting. Not spectacular. I'm not a huge fan of Witbiers mainly because they taste soapy to me. This one tastes soapy for sure. Also some nice spicy notes in their too. Kind of gingery and cloves. But the soapyness is omnipresent. Stupid soap.

Mouthfeel is kind of thin, but I suppose its apropriate for the style? Might also be that I'm used to seeing it cloudy so psychologically it tastes thinner to me. I don't know.

Pretty drinkable. Nice light refreshing beer. Even in spite of the soap I could probably drink a handful of these.

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color. Two finger fluffy white head.

S- Definite wheat smell with a hint of fruits. Fruit comes across as a light lemon and perhaps banana.

T- Starts out wheaty and moves into a more fruity taste in the middle. At the end you can taste the hops and some other spices. Hard to determine - it seems like a very light spicing.

M- Very light and clean tasting. You definitely feel the wheat upfront.

D- I have an affinity towards wheat beers so I'm biased. Fairly low ABV and light taste makes this a good choice for me.

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled in 07/2013. Pours very hazy golden straw color with a 2 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big lemon, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, clove, pepper, wheat, biscuit, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt, yeast, and spice notes; with good strength. Taste of lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, coriander, clove, wheat, biscuit, grass, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of lemon, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, clove, biscuit, wheat, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of malt, spice, and yeast ester flavors; with a good malt/yeast flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.5%. Overall this is a damn good witbier. All around good robustness and balance of malt, spice, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

A vigorous pour yield 2 fingers of white head while the beer itself is a hazy golden yellow. Smells are yeast, slight citrus and some spices. Tastes are yeast, cirtrusy, a lot of lemon in the finish with a very tart finish. It almost tastes like someone threw a lemon into my glass when I wasn't looking, but I'm home alone so unless sometype of weird robber broke in and threw some in, I'd say it's a very lemony beer. Mouthfeel is light and crisp and drinkability is pretty high, if wheat beers with lemon are your thing. I drank a lot of this beer last summer and I swear it's changed. It seems way more citrus/lemony to me now.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw color. Two finger fluffy white head stays for a short while before dying to a cap on the beer. Lacing is ringing and light streaking.

S- Big wheaty and citrusy smells in this. Light lemon notes come and go as well. No hops in this at all. Some light spices in the tail end of the aroma.

T- Big wheaty upfront in the front of the taste. Some light banana and clove in the middle (clove is faint). Citrus hops in the tail end with some light spicing...almost want to say cinnimon and ginger. Interesting flavor in the backend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light drying in the mouth. Wheat malts left on the palate with some light citrus hops and spicing left in the aftertaste. Clean tasting overall.

D- Low ABV makes this a perfect light session beer. I understand this isn't a beer for everyone but perfect for people who first get into craft. I will drink this during the summer or when I'm not in the mood for extreme palate crushers.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a medium, foamy creme colored head. It is very translucent and not very cloudy. The smell is of slight yeast and sweetness. It smells like the aftertaste of fresh bread. There's perhaps some citrus undertones. The taste is pretty good and follows the style. It's very yeasty with some citrusy sweetness. It had a bready but good finish. It has a light mouthfeel and is very light bodied. It has a good bready after taste. I find this to be a very drinkable Witbier. Kudos to Upland for this one.

Note: I prefer this beer to have sat for awhile if from a bottle. It gets better if given three months or so. It is also very good on tap.

Wheat Ale from Upland Brewing Company