Wheat Ale | Upland Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

1.52/5  rDev -57.3%

Tastes like funky draught beer from a dive bar :-(

1.55/5  rDev -56.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. It was either bottled on August 05 or 06, the mark is right between the two years.

Appearance: A pale yellow, almost looks like the dreaded BMC. The beer is pretty near crystal clear, not what I would expect from a wit. The yeast is very compacted in the bottom of the bottle, shaking it gets a little more to pour into my glass. Very small head which fades quickly to next to nothing.

Smell: Very strong lemon smell, almost overpowers everything else. There is also a not so subtle tang to the smell, like the beer will be a little sour.

Taste: Bleh. Too much carbonation overpowers the little taste that may be there. The only tastes I can really pick out are a soapy flavor and an almost bready flavor.

Mouthfeel: Watery with too much carbonation.

Drinkability: Have another one? I don't even think I will finish this one. I can feel myself getting heartburn with every sip. Maybe I'll give this one another chance if I can pick up single. I think Coors does this style better.

1.8/5  rDev -49.4%

Pours a light yellow/straw color that looks more like sparking wine than a beer. Smells like lemon furniture cleaner. First sip is a weird flowery taste that is more like French perfume than a malt beverage. This is just awful and my first drain pour in weeks.

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%

This brew poured a small head of fine white mostly lasting bubbles and a cloudy yellow colored body. It has a very mild malt aroma, ga ood lacing and a buttery straw flavor with orange notes. I wish this beer had more character especially since it is from my home state of Indiana.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

I've had this in the bottle before and it seemed better than this one. The color wasn't bad, and I know wheat beers are not clear, but this one looks like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Didn't really like the orange slice it came with. The taste was not as good as I remember it. Too much citrus taste to me. Not much malt flavor either. It's also a little sour and not easy to drink. Probably wouldn't get another.

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Norse Bar in Chicago.

A: Cloudy, bright yellow with about a finger of foamy, white head.

S: Banana, some lemon, and very pronounced yeast.

T: Clean and crisp, but overly bready. Really no other interesting flavors present to give this beer any sort of character.

M: Light and moderately carbonated.

O: Overall, this beer is quite refreshing, though I wish it tasted like something, anything, to make me want to drink it again.

2.58/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Thanks to my buddy Todd for bringing this back from Indy.

A: Crystal clear golden colored beer. Relatively aggressive pour leads to a 2 finger cumulus-cloud colored fluffy head that dissipates slowly over time. Little to no lacing to speak of.

S: Sweet malty smell with some graininess to it as well. Not a great smell. Pretty typical wheat smell, just a touch thin.

T: Sweetness follows the nose, a very small amount of clove and nutmeg but it feels pretty forced. No hops to speak of either. All in all, pretty below average taste.

M: Sticky feel, not bitter, light body, lightly carbonated.

O: I was really unimpressed with this beer. The taste wasn't very good, it was overly malty and this is a beer I won't be seeking out again.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Too much like lemonade.... Yuck

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%

Bottled on Oct 2010 according to the label. Thank you for providing a freshness date. This benefits the consumer as well as the brewer.

A - There was some residue at the bottom. I swirled it so keep that in mind. Color was a beautiful straw like color. Maybe 1 step higher towards golden but not much. Very opaque with the yeast. Head is minimal and falls to non-existent.

S - Nose is orange and coriander. I don't know, but this smells definitively like a Belgian Wit style. No mistaking it. We will see. I was expecting an American Wheat. Label says "Wheat Ale".

T - Yeah, this is a Belgian Wit. I'll describe the taste as such. Coriander DOMINATES this beer. Imagine a Wit that just took it a step too far. Comparable to a Blue Moon, or maybe a Hoegaarden with double the spice. Subtlety is important in this style because drinkability will suffer otherwise. Although the freshness date indicated that this was reasonably fresh, this beer has the ham or corned beef like aftertaste of a Wit that is either overly aggressive or that it has turned.

M - Thin, modest gravity. Flocculent yeast that assists a bit in mouthfeel. Medium to high carbonation.

D - Just too aggressively spiced to be a drinkable Wit. I have made this mistake in my homebrew Wit beers as well.

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%

When this beer was poured into my glass, it had a small sized head with fine sized bubbles. The body was cloudy and the lacing was sparse on the sides of my glass. The aroma of this beer was that of oranges. The mouthfeel in my opinion was both watery and thin. This beer lacked character.

Wheat Ale from Upland Brewing Company