Wheat Ale | Upland Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 425
3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured chilled into a pint glass

Appearance: Golden straw color, nice cloudy haze. Would have appreciated a little more head and lacing.

Smell: Rather impressive smell, smells more like a Hefe than a Wit. Cloves and spices, light fruity aroma too.

Taste: Complex for a wit. Has that clean wit taste, complemented by a light banana-like fruit flavor and some spices. Solid.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, nice carbonation, a little thin though.

Overall: Seeing as I live a few blocks from the brewery, I've had this beer all over Bloomington. The most popular Upland beer and also my personal favorite. A solid, above average Wit.

2.52/5  rDev -29%

I've had this in the bottle before and it seemed better than this one. The color wasn't bad, and I know wheat beers are not clear, but this one looks like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Didn't really like the orange slice it came with. The taste was not as good as I remember it. Too much citrus taste to me. Not much malt flavor either. It's also a little sour and not easy to drink. Probably wouldn't get another.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Really light, thick yellow, almost white. Decent foam that gets cut by the orange slice.

Smell: A little bit of citrus, and that's about it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nice initial crispness. The orange cuts through the flavor a bit too much.

Drinkabilty: Refreshing.

Overall: Would like to try this without the orange.

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a very pale golden-amber, but almost impenetrably opaque.

Nice white head, little to no lace.

Very nice and pleasant spicy citrus aroma. Seems a perfect light Summer sessioner.

Flavor is crisp, with a smooth lemon/orange character -- almost shandy-like.

A tasty and light drinker, and substantially better than a Blue Moon. I could enjoy some of these in warm weather with no complaints!

4.47/5  rDev +25.9%

This was one of my first craft beers that was not oberon, blue moon, etc. It was actually at a Ruby Tuesdays in Muncie. Poured a light golden color almost looks like lemonade. Smell I do not really remember too much because I had just started getting into craft beers. Taste was great for a new craft beer fan, pretty light not too strong or overpowering but tasted great. I could drink these all night and love it. Something that I will for sure get again.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

A-Pours a Frothy cloudy golden color

S- Smells of oranges with a slight butter smell

T- Has a nice fruity beginning and finishes with some nice spice flavorings

M-Very crisp and light in the mouth

D-Love wheat beers and this is a Great one to have! Drink alot of this in the summer as im mowing the lawn!

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

thanks to brian44556 for sending me this one!

A-light yellow, hazy gold with a thin white head

S-smells buttery mostly and has a hint of wheat to it. its a weak strength

T-well this sure is unique. comes in with a unique floral spicyness that reminds me of the inside of a hippy incense shop. it then transforms in to some tartness. the after-taste has the same floral spicyness to it. this is not a very good witbier. i feel like i'm eating flowers or something.

M-has a tart, creamy medium carbonation with a slightly dry finish

D-well as much as i don't like it as a witbier, i don't think this beer is all THAT bad and it does seem to go down easily. i do appreciate it slightly for its uniqueness. I could see me drinking this again some time on a nice hot summer day. I wouldn't mind sharing a 6-pack with a friend.

2.61/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottled on Oct 2010 according to the label. Thank you for providing a freshness date. This benefits the consumer as well as the brewer.

A - There was some residue at the bottom. I swirled it so keep that in mind. Color was a beautiful straw like color. Maybe 1 step higher towards golden but not much. Very opaque with the yeast. Head is minimal and falls to non-existent.

S - Nose is orange and coriander. I don't know, but this smells definitively like a Belgian Wit style. No mistaking it. We will see. I was expecting an American Wheat. Label says "Wheat Ale".

T - Yeah, this is a Belgian Wit. I'll describe the taste as such. Coriander DOMINATES this beer. Imagine a Wit that just took it a step too far. Comparable to a Blue Moon, or maybe a Hoegaarden with double the spice. Subtlety is important in this style because drinkability will suffer otherwise. Although the freshness date indicated that this was reasonably fresh, this beer has the ham or corned beef like aftertaste of a Wit that is either overly aggressive or that it has turned.

M - Thin, modest gravity. Flocculent yeast that assists a bit in mouthfeel. Medium to high carbonation.

D - Just too aggressively spiced to be a drinkable Wit. I have made this mistake in my homebrew Wit beers as well.

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color. Two finger fluffy white head.

S- Definite wheat smell with a hint of fruits. Fruit comes across as a light lemon and perhaps banana.

T- Starts out wheaty and moves into a more fruity taste in the middle. At the end you can taste the hops and some other spices. Hard to determine - it seems like a very light spicing.

M- Very light and clean tasting. You definitely feel the wheat upfront.

D- I have an affinity towards wheat beers so I'm biased. Fairly low ABV and light taste makes this a good choice for me.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a hazy light golden yellow with a bit of white head.

Smells good - can definitely tell it's a wheat beer. Strong lemon nose, with a hint of something slightly unpleasant underneath.

Tastes like it smells, crisp, refreshing, lemon, with a hint of miller light at the end.

Mouthfeel is quite good, and I could see drinking a number of these in the summer.

A vigorous pour yield 2 fingers of white head while the beer itself is a hazy golden yellow. Smells are yeast, slight citrus and some spices. Tastes are yeast, cirtrusy, a lot of lemon in the finish with a very tart finish. It almost tastes like someone threw a lemon into my glass when I wasn't looking, but I'm home alone so unless sometype of weird robber broke in and threw some in, I'd say it's a very lemony beer. Mouthfeel is light and crisp and drinkability is pretty high, if wheat beers with lemon are your thing. I drank a lot of this beer last summer and I swear it's changed. It seems way more citrus/lemony to me now.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a bit of a white head. The nose brings some light citrus notes as well as a bit of grain. Some spicing there as well. Taste is a bit of sweet grain and very mild citrus notes. Feel is light and a bit creamy. Drinks fairly well and is much, much better than on tap, where it seems to be excessively sweet.

I like Upland beers, but this one just disappoints. I don't expect much from a Witbeir, but even with that, this is just incredibly thin in the flavor profile. Just not a lot there.

Just leaves me wanting for more flavor or aroma. Looks good, just not follow it up.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours cloudy yellow with dollops of white foam. Hazy.

Smells and tastes light and citrus-sy. Some lemon, more wheat than malt. Minimal hops, very even keeled throughout. Even carbonation.

Quite drinkable, tasty wheat brew. Nicely done.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

A - pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice 1.5 finger head that dissipates quickly

S - smells of a lot of coriander with a lot of wheaty malt

T - Nice coriander and citrus taste. I also get a kick of a cinnamon / nutmeg flavor. Not really sure where this came from or how it fits into the beer, but it added an interesting twist. It leaves a nice cookie / lemony aftertaste after it goes down.

M - almost too carbonated, but a really nice body

D - definitely a refreshing summer beer. The six pack went down way too quickly...

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

The ale arrived in a ten ounce glass: the most impressive part of the ale, this one was a cloudy, deep golden and yellow color with a very nice sustained 1/8 inch white head. The lacing was intricate.

Not much to detail here: a little spicy aroma, I suppose from the spices added. There was also some husky, wheaty odors pleasant.

Before writing the review, I read BA's "Beer Styles" for some background information as I had not tried a wit in years. First of all, the ale was crisp and refreshing which was partly because of the carbonation, but the overall flavor was muddled. There was no distinct flavors to this. I really could not detect coriander, orange peel or any other spicy additions. I did taste good but hardly like a wit.

Light bodied with zesy carbonation, the mouthfeel was rather one dimensional.

For late summer, this is a good quencher, but I thought it lacked enough flavor to keep it interesting. After enjoying the ten ounces, I did not request a second.

3.59/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy pale straw color, with a ½ finger of fizzy bright-white head that almost immediately goes completely dead. There is a tiny bit of froth that rings the outside of the glass, leaving just the slightest smidge of spotty lacing on the sides. The aroma is sweet in the nose with fruity orange and lemon zest, along with the crisp sticky breadiness of the sweet. Just a touch of floral character here, with this leaving a bit too much of that sweetness showing and not enough spice.

The taste is an equal mix of tart citrus and the sweet bready tang of the wheat. There is some bitterness present which lends this some crispness in the mouth and I'm finding there to be a much more welcome spice presence here as well. The finish is a combo of dryness and leftover tart fruit. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with an easy and slick feel upon first sip but then this gets nice and sharp as you swallow. Really drinkable body here that just might be my favorite part of the beer.

This was decent enough I suppose but I would have liked to have had a little better balance between the flavors in parts of this. The body alone really helps save things, giving this a crisp and refreshing nature. This would good one for a hot day.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a medium, foamy creme colored head. It is very translucent and not very cloudy. The smell is of slight yeast and sweetness. It smells like the aftertaste of fresh bread. There's perhaps some citrus undertones. The taste is pretty good and follows the style. It's very yeasty with some citrusy sweetness. It had a bready but good finish. It has a light mouthfeel and is very light bodied. It has a good bready after taste. I find this to be a very drinkable Witbier. Kudos to Upland for this one.

Note: I prefer this beer to have sat for awhile if from a bottle. It gets better if given three months or so. It is also very good on tap.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Served into a shaker

A: Very cloudy golden straw color with 1/2"+ of light white head and substantial lacing.

S: Fruity, citrusy and some of the familiar clove/banana scent comes through. Not picking up much wheat, but not unpleasant.

T: Lots of sweetness, some citrus and banana with loads of sweet tropical fruit that finishes clean. The wheat taste is very faint here, but present.

M: Smooth and well-carbonated, medium body without being sticky or cloying.

D: The unabashed fruityness of the drink isn't especially pleasing to me (I wish more wheat had been present), but the creaminess and the clean finish make this beer much more drinkable. I have no doubt that drinking this on draught improved it, but a fine beer- it made a nice go-between for the hoppy beer I had been consuming.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

A QUICK NOTE:
I've lived in Indiana for almost 9 months now, and this is my first review of the state's second-biggest brewery. Why? Because I don't review stale beer if it's got a date stamped on its bottle, and it's rare to find this fresh on the shelves. Kudos to Upland for marking their beer, but boo to all the Lafayette-area liquor stores that absolutely refuse to maintain their stocks.

Pours very light for a wit, gold and slightly hazy and the bubbles are like champagne. It's not what I was expecting, but it's pretty.

Smells nice but pretty faint. Lots of wheatmalt with good nodes of lemongrass and white pepper.

Tastes a little bit more intense. Biggish lemon, biggish pepper. Light all around but there's no off nodes. Lots of times with beers like these they just drop off in the middle or the end, things are going along fine and then all of a sudden its like you got a mouth full of seltzer

Doesn't have the thick chewiness that I look for in a wit but this is more a light drinking summer beer than a big, ponderous wit. For what it is, it is excellent.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw color. Two finger fluffy white head stays for a short while before dying to a cap on the beer. Lacing is ringing and light streaking.

S- Big wheaty and citrusy smells in this. Light lemon notes come and go as well. No hops in this at all. Some light spices in the tail end of the aroma.

T- Big wheaty upfront in the front of the taste. Some light banana and clove in the middle (clove is faint). Citrus hops in the tail end with some light spicing...almost want to say cinnimon and ginger. Interesting flavor in the backend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light drying in the mouth. Wheat malts left on the palate with some light citrus hops and spicing left in the aftertaste. Clean tasting overall.

D- Low ABV makes this a perfect light session beer. I understand this isn't a beer for everyone but perfect for people who first get into craft. I will drink this during the summer or when I'm not in the mood for extreme palate crushers.

3.77/5  rDev +6.2%

A hazy yellow color with some head about a half finger.

Smells like some lemons, and I can smell the wheat oddly enough.

Tastes about as it smells, I feel like I'm drinking a hefe, but with some citrus finish. It is a wierd taste that I can't decide if I want more or not.

I could drink this again, and likely will somewhere down the line, prefer it out of tap to bottle quite a bit fyi.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon pilsner glass.

A: Hard pour yields a 2 finger, fluffy white head that's rough around the edges and collapses rather quickly into a thin white film. Beer is a cloudy white peach. Lacing is non-existent

S: Lemon is strong on the nose. Good tartness stands out against the signature wheat aroma. Bit of spiciness towards the end.

T: Grainy and I feel like I can actually taste the wheat in this one. Oats and lemon all around lend a healthy tartness to this one. Very spicy and abrasive. Simple and enjoyable. A touch of hop bitterness right at the end before finishing incredibly clean.

M: Light bodied, carbonated, and one of the coarsest I've ever drank. Dances on the tongue while being quiet watery all the way down. Finish is clean, leaves nothing on the palate.

D: You know when the serve some wheat beers with a lemon? NO. A good wheat beer already has that nice, citrus lemon flavor IN IT. No extra fruit slices needed. This one really delivers and is highly drinkable. So easy on the stomach and the palate, downing a sixer alone in one sitting wouldn't be out of the question. Great on a lazy spring day.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Pored from the brown bottle into a clear pint glass. The label shows that this particular bottle was brewed in September of 2008...wonder how fresh this will be as I don't imagine a Witbier to be the type of beer you would normally cellar.

A - Poured a very pale cloudy yellow color with white enhancements around the edges, your standard Witbier color. A bright white head tops the body, but quickly fades to a thin cap. A very minor amount of spotty lacing is left behind down the inside of my glass.

S - Pretty aromatic wheat and citrus scents abound in the nose.

T & M - A tame lemon twang is followed by a spicy, peppery finish along with a bit of coriander. I'm also getting some cinnamon on the swallow...strange. It's almost like an apple pie, but rather than using apples, they used mild lemons. This isn't a normal Witbier taste to me, although the style seems to allow the use of strange spices. Mouthfeel is thin and toward the watery end but finishes fairly dry and clean.

D - This is a strange example of the Witbier style to me, but it's also strangely drinkable. This would make for a decent Summer brew, both light and inviting...but not necessarily sessionable. Worth a try anyways.

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

For starters, this review might be a little biased because I'm originally from Bloomington and throughout College practically lived on this stuff! Upland Wheat will always have a place in my fridge and is a very decent Belgian Witbier.

Since they have opened the Upland Tasting Room in Indianapolis I now have the ability to get my growlers filled quite easily. Although I've had the wheat in bottles and on-tap in B-town the growler experience is definetly not one to be skipped!

(a)- Color is very traditional of a Wit-Bier, light in color with a heavy haze due to the lack of filtering. Pours with little head and beads discipate into the brew. (4/5)

(s)- Ahhh...now that's why I think of Upland whenever I get my hands on good fruit and not the other way around! The beer has an amazing aroma and strong citrus smells. I've found that when served with an orange the experience can be quite much. I'm probably one of the few that has no problem skipping the garnish. Some hints of lemon are very easy to notice as well. (4.5/5)

(t)- Boom! The taste is what makes this Upland's flagship brew. Carries a great tart and crisp bite with every gulp. I've always joked with friends that it's like the opposite of a sweet-tart, it grabs you up front and then finishes with sweet citrus taste. Everyime I go awhile without this beer I'm instantly reminded why it will forever be a staple! (4.5/5)

(m)- Very light and bouncy. Not too heavy for all the citrus accents and is very easy on the tongue. You definetly get to taste and experience every spice and flavor with every sip. (4/5)

(d)- Finally, I believe this category is what makes this beer great. With an IBU around 11 this beer is perfect for a Summer day with friends to a full-on dinner in Winter. This beer has the ability to be re-visited over and over. I often find myself starting and finishing a series with this brew. (5/5)

Wheat Ale from Upland Brewing Company