Komodo Dragon Fly Black IPA | Upland Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Komodo Dragon Fly Black IPAKomodo Dragon Fly Black IPA

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
uplandbeer.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by akorsak on 02-14-2010

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottled December 2010.

A - Opaque black body topped by a thick one finger dark tan head. Decent head retention and a nice veil of lacing down the inside of my nonic.

S - Dark roasted malt mixes with subtle hop aromas that present themselves in the form of grapefruit and pineapple. There also seems to be just the slightest hint of coffee and chocolate floating around in there. This is a very delicious smelling brew!

T & M - The aroma did not betray the tastebuds. A healthy dose of hops play with that same dark roasted malt I smelled earlier. The hops seem a bit more earthy tasting than what I expected, and the citrus takes a bit of a backseat. More pine than pineapple I think. Coffee appears toward the back end and finishes this treat with a sort of drying ending. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - This is an excellent representation of the style, and a damn fine brew from Upland. If it was sold in my area, I would certainly keep a sixer stocked.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

My first taste via bottle extremely disappointed me. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of Stone - Sublimely Self-Righteous or Grand Tetons - Trout Hop of which it is neither.

My second taste begged for a reexamination and I was somewhat pleased. The light-hopped nose and rich roasted-malt flavor really foreshadowed the chilly midwest winter.

My third taste sealed the deal. On draft at the Upland brewpub with good friends (on a road trip) over a dinner of bison filet. As the rain fell outside (with a blizzard on the radar), my weekend dedicated to drinking good beer, I could not have been happier.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Very first beer I found by Upland. Not sure if its a bad thing but I know they do fruit beers well. This is a difficult style to boot. Great price just $1.69 for the single.

A - For under 7% this beer is dark like stout dark with a deep cocoa head and everything. From just this I am convinced its a black IPA.
S - It's pretty much OK I do smell earthy hops and I appreciate no pine in my Black IPA so thats a bonus. On top of that the roast don't smell too harsh which I can appreciate. I sip.
T - It does have some pine in the finish so it's better than a "Black ale" This beer is pretty drinkable very balanced pine hop flavors mixed with a moderate roasty backround. Its pretty much what I would expect.
M - This could be the first Black IPA I think I could session. Easy flavors and a lower than massive ABV.

Overall they may have something here maybe they should take a step back at making Black IPA's big in ABV and stick to simple easy to understand flavors. For the price I would buy this again but sadly PA knows nothing of Upland. Still I will be looking forward to finding their beers.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Nice dark brown to black brew. It's got a java colored 2 finger head a little rocky. Great lacing.

S- Smells like earthy hops and roasted chocolate. A little coffee aroma as well.

T- Taste more like a hoppy light stout. But isn't that what this style is anyways? I like this alot though. Roasted flavor profile with a nice hoppy finish. Very chocolatey.

M- Medium bodied. Could do a little lighter on the body and alcohol and that would be great.

O- Overall I really enjoyed this beer and am happy that I picked this one up. I tend to stay away from upland because I find most of their offerings average to mediocre anymore. But this one is worth another visit.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a tulip from a growler purchased at the Upland tasting room in Broadripple .

A- Interesting! If I didn't pour it from the growler myself, I would swear that this beer was a stout. A very dark brown/black body with a tan head. It does leave small amounts of sediment on the side of the glass when swirled around.
S- The sent is very roasty and coffee like with subtle hints of earthy hops. I sure am glad that the hop smell does come through the roasted malt scent. After all, I'm about to drink an IPA.
T- At first taste, my taste buds were very confused. The malty burnt chocolate hits your first. Then the hops jump in and make you remember you are drinking an IPA. Although the citrus hop flavor does come through in the end, the burnt chocolate flavor is dominant.
MF- This strange concoction is a little lighter in the mouth than it appears in the glass. The hops do give enough bitterness that leaves your mouth a little dry wanting more.
D- I am a little confused by this beer. It is easier to drink than a stout, but not as refreshing as a standard IPA. The alcohol is hidden by all of the burnt earthy flavors. I will continue drinking this beer, but don't know how many I would want in a row.

I do enjoy the creativity, but it is lacking a little something. I wish there would have been more of a hop flavor to this beer. I am a huge fan of Upland and wish they would have been around when I was a student down in Bloomington. I think I was just expecting something different with this one. Overall a great beer, just not what I was expecting. I know I will drink this beer again in the future, but is not something that I will go out of my way just to have.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pitch black and completely opaque when held to the light, perfect for what I look for in the style. Big dark tan head with small bubbles that leaves a little bit of lacing down the glass.

S - A good amount of piney/citrus hops. Some burnt dark chocolate notes(maybe roasted barley)but a great focus on hop smell. I find this to be a great mix of malt and hops. It is just malty enough but is dominated by it's great American hops. As the beer warmed, the roasted barley became bigger and bigger.

T - Some chocolate malts right up front that transition well into a great spicy piney hop flavor. With a medium amount of bitterness.

M - light to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Finishes pretty dry.

O - I thought this was a great balance of malt to hop for the style. I ejnjoyed this IBA more than I've enjoyed others.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Upland Carmel.
1/2 finger of kaki foam covered a pitch black pint of beer.

Smell is a good mix of piney hops and roasted malt. I get bits of earthiness and citrus peel and possibly some smoke.

Taste is lots of roasted malts and pine. Slight orange peel bitterness. I think the flavor profile is exactly what Upland was going for. Having had the Dragon Fly IPA I can say this has that charicter with roasted malt addition. Nicely done

Very drinkable beer. Medium mouth feel with good balance. Abv is average for the style as well. Slightly chewy and easily coats the mouth. A beer you can sip or have a few of.

12 ounce bottle, bottled in December 2010 so I know it's not exactly fresh. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch frothy tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. At this point, the aroma seems more like a slightly hoppy porter now, not that it's a bad thing. The brew smells like roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and some piney hops. The hops do come out a little more in the taste. It tastes like pine hops, roasted and burnt/charred malt, chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit sticky with moderate carbonation. I think it's a good brew, although I would like to try a fresher bottle of this in the future. Definitely worth trying, I liked it.

Acquired from tburkhart, courtesy of the Under 100 IV BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a hearty roasted malt character and flavors of black coffee and dark chocolate. Then a complementary hops bitterness comes in but it's a bit mild for the style. There's a little bit of citrus and spice flavor in the background. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, while there are better beers in the style this one is worth drinking for a while.

Upland bottles can be hit or miss. Hopefully this is a hit.

Appearance is a deep black, opaque with an initially creamy light brown head that ends up looking soapy.

Pronounced hop aroma and quite piney at that.

The flavor really combines some of the great qualities of an IPA, with its spicy hop and latent bitterness. There is a good dose of a smoky,burnt malt which I have grown accustomed to in a black IPA.

Feel is crisp and balanced. Good.

I think this is refreshing and hearty like a black IPA should be.

Komodo Dragon Fly Black IPA from Upland Brewing Company