Persimmon Lambic | Upland Brewing Company

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
uplandbeer.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Thorpe429 on 05-03-2010

4.2

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Review 700 - not that anyone cares.

A great beer shared by the generous Brad at a recent tasting. Upland lambics are a permanent ISO for me, this one I was not even aware of.

Beer poured into a snifter. It is yellow and hazy and seriously irresponsibly carbonated. Bottle exploded with the cord was released. Lacing is completely coating the glass and carbonation is moderate and steady. The head has some sediment, brown flecks that stick to the lacing. There are some floaters in the glass as well.

Aroma is amazingly citrus. Those are the persimmons coming through I suppose. There is only a hint of sulfur and other sourness in the nose. It smells really really good.

Taste is slightly sweet with a lot of citrus / fruit flavors. It is a serious fruit lambic. Some of the classic flavors that come along with a blended lambic are not present to my detection, slight oxidization products, some more lactic or a hint of acetic, mild sulfur, all down played or overshadowed by the strong citric quality.

This is a great fruit lambic for sure. I was hoping for a little more funk on the back end but overall it turned out to be a great beer. I would recommend it, trade for it, drink it again in a heartbeat.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

Shared a bottle with my family tonight for my 22nd Birthday

A- Poured a hazy yellow with a small head that quickly faded

Smell- Tons and tons of fruit in the nose, absolutely love this smell, reminds me of the persimmons I used to have at my grandma's

T- Wow, absolutely love this. The sourness is one of the strongest I've had but not without a massive amount of flavor here.

M- Lighter body here and really easy for me to drink. Not so easy for my family of BMC drinkers but for me it was good.

O- I absolutely loved this. I don't drink this style often but this one may have opened my eyes quite a bit. Grab or trade for this if you are a fan or sours.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Review from notes.

This beer was a gusher! Luckily we knew ahead of time that it may be, so we opened it over a bowl, saving all of the precious that spewed out.

Pours a golden yellow, a LOT of carb with a white head, a lot of lacing that stayed around a while. Smelt a lot of funk, and citrus. Tastes slight funk, slight citrus and sour at the front, followed by a sour and heavy citrus finish. Very clean finish as well, I can definitely taste the persimmon on this one. Very drinkable, very refreshing. There is a lot of carb, feels great, right where it should be. I really wish I had another of these.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Bottled 3/15/11, Batch 71-09. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Persimmons are probably my favorite fruit, so I'm super excited about this.

2.5 A: The color of this is quite shocking. I expected a pinkish hue, but instead this looks like hazy chardonay. Three fingers of white, fizzy soda-pop head that falls super fast and leaves no lacing. Like usual, Upland managed to make an ugly brew.

5.0 S: This is like anything I've ever smelled before, which makes much sense given that this is the only beer I've ever had that features persimmons. Oh yeah, it also smells wonderful. Persimmons are exploding from this. I'm picking up everything on the spectrum from immature, unripened persimmons to their sofy, overly ripened counterparts. With regards to this, I am picking up both earthy and sweet. There's a tartness to this that follows the unripened fruit vein, but there isn't a lot of traditional sourness in this. Oak complements the fruit and a light barnyard funk follows.

4.5 T: Again, the persimmon is running the show. Sweet, earthy, tart, and certainly distinct all at once. There's a good bit more acid in the taste that what the nose presented. This comes mainly in the form of tangy lactic acid, but there are notes of acetic as well. As for funk, there's a ton of it. Funky barnyard, hay, wet grass, apple orchard, and horse. A lemony zestiness to it. Oak and vanilla complement the other flavors increasing the complexity of this. Persimmon aftertaste.

4.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate spritzy carbonation. Good creaminess in this and super smooth.

4.5 D: I enjoyed this a lot. This is easily my favorite Upland brew. It captures the essence of the persimmon perfectly and presents it with force. There aren't too many brews out there that are unique, but as of now, this one is.

Persimmon Lambic from Upland Brewing Company