Dantalion Dark Wild Ale | Upland Brewing Company

Upland Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
uplandbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Dark Wild Beer with brettanomyces and lactobacillus aged over 1 year in red wine American white oak barrels.

Added by Thorpe429 on 05-18-2010

Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 289

A: Pours a dark blackish red, with an inch of white foam and a good amount of carbonation on the pour.

S: Some funk is present accompanied by tart cherries and plums/raisins, with a hint of the oak.

T: A red wine, with tart cherries. Oak and vanilla come through too.

M/D: A very carbonated bottle, almost a gusher. Beer is pretty solid, interesting, but nothing amazing.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Well, I've had this beer in my cellar long enough. I have been staring at this bottle for some time and tonight's the night I'm gonna try it. 2nd batch from Upland. I took it from my cellar and let it cool for 2 hours in my fridge. 750ml bottle - cork and caged.

WHOA! The cork was nearly impossible to remove and when it did, I received a tan gush-bomb with brown yeast chunks! This thing was eager to get out. I poured about 1/5 of this thing into the sink before even getting a taste...

Well, as the foam monster subsided, I poured about 10 ounces into my Lost Abbey tulip. As it poured, it looked like root beer, but it settled in my glass an opaque dark brown. After the initial head simmered down there was a constant, 1/8 inch, light tan head that resided during the tasting. No legs present, just an ominous brown mass sitting before me. Unfortunately, I am going to have to dock it a a point in my rating because of the gusher effect...

On the nose I get hints of light caramel and moderate sourness. I can't really peg the sourness on a particular flavor, but it was sour. I can also smell a light, bread-like yeast.

Compared to the nose, the flavor explodes with flavors. Right off the bat, this is pretty unique. I get a blurry mix of sour, indiscernible spices... It's moderately sour and almost carries a cinnamon quality in the after taste. I can definitely get a wine like flavor from the time in the oak, as well.

Overall, this is a nice beer. It's unique because it's not a fruit flavored version of their lambics, but rather a muted, slightly spicy version with that same characteristic sourness that comes from all of the Upland lambic offerings.

Recommended, but be careful when opening (go outside)!

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle. My first sour from Upland.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is heavy on the flowers, with some tartness and flowery notes mixed in. Interesting.

The flavor is more of the same. I get toffee and cocoa up front, but I also get some floral notes and some light tartness. The beer is not as sour as I expected it to be. There are some nice fruit notes to the beer.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

I've been wanting to try this for some time. It's easily the darkest wild I've seen thus far (not having had Bourbonic Plague yet). It pours a dark brown with some ruby highlights with a one finger beige head. Unfortunately, this was a gusher. I suppose I should have thrown this one in the freezer like I did the Strawberry. The aromas are pretty sour and have a good amount of funk. It smells of cherries and dark fruit. It's excellent on the nose. The flavors are hard to describe. It's sweet yet sour. It features kriek likes characteristics, as if oak aged. It also has this odd, vegetable like after taste that you get from some V8 blended juice drinks. It's also a little earthy. I like it though. The flavors aren't as in your face as I expected, or as they could be. This makes it very drinkable. This beer surprised me in being different from what I expected and surprised me again by still being very good.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

750ml bottle provided by Adam. "Summoned on 2/4/10"

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights and about a finger of off white head.

Aroma is sour with some funk. Pretty straightforward and reminds me of Supplication but without the cherries.

Taste is sour right off the bat but not overpowering. Some hints of dark fruit sweetness in the background, but the focus is on the light vinegar sour.

It's medium in body with some light prickly carbonation. Overall a very drinkable sour. No outside fruit sweetness needed to offset the sour.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. justin contributed this one. thanks justin!

750ml corked and caged bottle.

pours clear brown with nice red highlights. a small light brown head forms, dropping slowly and leaving spotty lace.

aroma is great. dark fruit. dark chocolate. bit of lemon. leather and horse blanket. honey. caramel and toffee. light vanilla. bit of spiced cherry. whole wheat bread. good sourness.

taste is great. much like the aroma, but with less sourness. great full malty and fruity character. light alcohol. very restrained sourness.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium body with a nice dry finish. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. good balance. great depth. restrained and balanced sourness.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

The Dantalion (thanks kruthar!) was different than I expected. I figured it would be a strong wild, with a lot of sour and some good back-end flavor just like the other lambics. I didn't really get that with this bottle that we opened, though. It gushed pretty quickly as we opened it, and we were able to save most of it. Good dark look to the beer, followed up by a powerful sour smell. And that is all I got in the flavor too: sour. I didn't get any other undertones or really strong flavors, which was really disappointing to me. Drinkable, but just not my favorite beer in the world.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

From 01/21/11 notes. Brought to a small tasting.

a - Pours a reddish mahogany color with an inch of off white and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of blueberries, tart dark fruits, lactic, oak, red wine, and funk.

t - Tastes of lactic, blueberries, tart berries, funk, and oak.

m - Light body and high carbonation.

d - A solid wild ale from Upland. Not super tart, but still quite enjoyable. Would have again.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks again to Dan (mdfb79) for this one.

Very dark maroon with ring of head and a little lacing.

S: Nice funky smell that has definite notes of dark fruit and a dark cherry oak vibe to it.

T: Follows the smell plus some vegetable type of tastes/plant notes, vanilla, lighter fruit, with dark cherry coming through for me too. Would like it to be a little more tart, and this one upland lambic also has a semi infected buttery taste to it but it kind of works with this one.

M: Mouth is great, smooth and just enough carbo.

Good overall.

2.38/5  rDev -39.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks Dabe.

A: Pours a dark mahogany body with a finger or so of light tan head. The bottle is a slow gusher out of the glass, and even a moderate pour produces fluffy carbonation that collapses in clumps. Somewhat nice, but the uncontrolled carbonation is a drawback.

S: A good nose. It has a light bretty presence with a moderate floral aroma. Grapes and oak come out nicely. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's reasonably decent.

T: Red wine and oak with a mild tartness. Some floral presence in the finish. It's just... lacking in flavor. I was surprised, because this was the first beer of the night, and my palate was fresh. I simply couldn't pick up a lot beyond that. Not much bacterial character; it's mildly lactic, but the barnyard of the nose is weak, and the beer is just unsatisfying and bland at best.

M: Medium-bodied, with high carbonation. It's on the drier side for the style, with a mild tannic astringency.

D: Wound up being tossed out in favor of other, better beers on the table. As far as American Wild Ales go, this defines the middle ground pretty well. Maybe bottles vary; someone sampling this for the second time noted that it "wasn't as good as the last time."

750ml bottle shared by someone at the post-Bruery bottle share. Forgive me for not knowing who it was through all the melee going on there.

Hazy dark brown with a lasting light tan head.

Wild funky dark fruit aroma, sour, acetic, and funky, with some roastiness.

Slightly sweet and sour flavor. Very tasty. Somewhat acetic with caramel and roasty malt notes, red wine, berries, and some floral aspects.

Medium-full body with average carbonation and good acidity.

Another solid sour beer from Upland. These guys are really getting their act together as far as the wilds go.

Thanks, Andrew.

Cloudy reddish-brown. The head recedes to a thin but persistent tan collar.

Smells floral and earthy, mildly sour. Lactic and acetic acid are present, leaning slightly more toward the acetic side. Balsamic vinegar, toasted malt.

The palate is earthy and acetic, the bugs have thinned out the dark malt base quite a bit. Balsamic vinegar and floral flavors lend some depth. Dry and oaky, especially toward the finish. Light in body, easy enough to drink but not particularly outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Mark for being an awesome member of the Equidae family and sending me this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a thin tan head. A mild murkiness to the beer as I inspect the glass.

S: Starts off sort of how I expected. Lots of sour cherries with just a touch of acetic acid. Quite a bit of oak is present and some miscellaneous dark fruits.

T: This actually reminds me a fair amount of Cuvee de Tomme. Tart cherries, big lactic sourness, a touch of vinegar, and a lot of oak. There seems to be a bit of red wine flavor, too, which maybe leans a bit toward the Flemish Red side of things.

M: The body is medium with a pretty high level of carbonation which helps accentuate the acidity rather than the malt, which does sometimes creep in.

D: This is probably my favorite so far of the Upland sours. Really nicely done and decently complex, quite flavorful.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%

Massive thanks to womencantsail for sharing this one at Beachwood BBQ during the Bruery RS Post-Party. Served from bottle into a goblet. Poured a murky brown with a minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and floral notes. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, and tart. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent. A very nice flavor and excellent aroma going on here. A pretty nice Wild Ale without doubt. If you haven't had this it is worth seeking out. Glad I have a bottle set aside for me in a future trade!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Good lookin out drew for sharing this brew

Poured a dark brown in color with maroonish highlights that had a thin head and left some bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma had some bretty funky oaky character alongside citrusy, floral, mild vinegar and acidic notes but it did have faint cherries, spice, and vinous notes. The floral flavor was more apparent on the palate with some vinegary character but had citrusy, fruity, oaky, acidic, vinous accents but had a touch of underlying spice. The brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a vinous, fruity, citrusy, oaky, and tart finsh. Actually was a tasty brew that drank better than I thought and makes me wanna seek out more of these upland lambics.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Mountain of fizzy head that looks rather sturdy. Deep mahogany color, slightly lighter around the edges, with tiny yeast particulates floating around despite proper storage and pour, but nothing I'm too concerned with.

A - Wonderful combination of light, acidic fruits, as well as the distinct aroma of sour cherries. Altogether, very sour and sweet nose. A leather component comes through, too.

T - Amazing sour character that stops before making you pucker too much and leaves a fairly malty sweetness behind. Banana and rye flavors towards the end.

M/D - Medium body and medium-high carbonation (though there could have been more). My only complaint is that it is not dry enough, resulting in a less than ideal finish. That said, this is still a pretty drinkable beer. Overall, a great take on the wild ale style!

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer looks black but held up to the light you get a dark burgundy color. About 1 finger of very light brown head. A unique look that could be described as "dirty toilet water". Don't let it turn you off though!

S.

the smell screams Belgian sour. Not as barnyardy as some but you can definitely tell it's brewed to match an authentic lambic. I'm getting some slight fruity and floral notes as well as a touch of spice and wood.

T.

The best lambic I've had out of the four that just came out. I'm getting of course a nice lactic sour kick at the beginning but then the flavors really come out. I get some dark fruit (cherries?) that give the beer a really nice sweetness to balance out the sourness. A little spice that i can't put my nose on but gives it something a little extra. Every sip I'm getting something different it seems. Such a great tasting beer.

M.

About medium bodied with loads of carbonation. A lot of sourness in this beer that you can feel as it makes it's way to the back of the throat and towards the nose. Slightly dry in the finish.

D.

Such a drinkable lambic. I'd drive back down to B-town just to get some more of these, however at 20 bucks a bottle, I'd probably have others pitch in on these. A great tasting lambic by Upland. I very surprised that an American microbrewery can make such an authentic lambic. After tasting the others, I can honestly say that they could probably drop all of their beers and just concentrate on lambics and they could do quite well.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

One of the best beers from Upland. Got one of the last bottles. Very complex sour ale. It has an explosive, vibrant mouthfeel. Sour, but not too sour. Maybe a hint much carbonation. A little fruity, but not too much. Very nice for afternoon drinking.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 5/27/2010. Bottle thanks to FlssmrBrewAlum. Pours a clear dark brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of lactic sweetness, light buttery popcorn. Flavor of yogurt, lactic acid with a sweet malty and sugary finish. It's somewhat bland, although easy to drink, and does improve by the end of the glass. I do wish there was a little more complexity here though. I was expecting a little bit more from this Upland sour.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Pours dark burgundy, a tad cloudy, with a large head. Nose is big wine barrel, brett, grapes, just a lot of vinous character and wet wood. Flavor is a smack of wet, red wine barrel. Quite sweet, finishes long and drier with a weird herbal kick. I actually enjoy that finish but this is way too much wine barrel for my liking. In that way it's pretty loose and sloppy. Mildly acidic. I have certain pet peeves with beer, one of them is dark sours with sloppy, excessive wine barrel, and this one has it written all over.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours black at first glance, but closer inspection reveals a muddy dark brown color, thick, high carbonation during the pour leaves some floaties fron the last third of the bottle. Not really distracting due to the dark color, and the high carbonation also makes for a very thick carpet of eggshell colored head that doesn't go anywhere and leaves some very nice strands of lace swooping around the glass.

The aroma reveals lactic sourness mixed with a milder, floral funkiness. Spice on the nose as well along with some strong esters, leather, and cranberries. Floral lotus-like barnyard funk defines the flavor, followed by lactic acid, coriander, crusty bread, and tart greens. Spots of diacetyl hint at a Flemish Red, but this is more floral and spicy. Moderately sour with a tart and bitter finish with twangs of roast and earth.

What seems very carbonated during the pour fizzles out and becomes an exceptionally integrated and smooth carbonation reminding me of my favorite Flemish Red ales. While the bubbles feel amazing, the body is considerably thin for a dark wild ale. Overall this is a complex and tasty beer. I'd like to see it tweaked to include a touch more malt and body, and this could be an excellent beer. Looking forward to trying the next batch.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Drank from the bottle...Pours a medium brown, very dark for a wild, light tan head good retention and lacing...An interesting aroma of dark fruits, tart cherries, oak and spice, I like it...The taste is oak wine with dark fruits, differnt but I'm diggint it. Sour oakyness to it. Easy to drink and very enjoyable.

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%

750 ml bottle opened by the guys at Upland at the GLBF, the last of the three special bottles they had. 2 oz pour into a taster.

A - Pours a dark brown color but clear. Absolutely no head on it. A ring of very loose bubbles though.

S - The aroma bursts with sourness and wild funk but is backed up with a lightly sweet, floral scent.

T - Interesting weedy floral flavor with a potent lactic, wild sourness. A combination of funk and acidity.

M - The finish is very dry and highly carbonated with a wild, sour, mouth-puckering finish.

D - This is an alright wild that, like the other two 750s of Upland's stuff would be better shared. It didn't impress but that's not to say it's not a good beer. Just lost in a sea of amazing American Wild beers. The name and label are badass though!

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

Caged and corked bottle. Popped at my wedding. Sweetness!

A- Pours a murky brown color with light red hues to it when held to the light. Three finger beige head stays around forever before dying down. Sheet style lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink this down.

S- Tons of darker fruit in the nose. Light cherry scent but I figured there would be more. Some oaky barrel notes blended with a spicy earthy tone. I'm sure as this one ages even more there is going to be more defined aromas. This one is still a baby!

T- Acidic notes right off the get go with the beer. Darker fruits come into play with a light sour cherry note. Some oak present but still I think the malts take over this beer which means it should be still sitting in your cellars people!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is getting there and while not all the way I like it it's showing signs of vast carbonation. More darker fruits left on the palate with some acidic tones in the aftertaste. Flavors are starting to take on their own and should be there in a year or so. Very drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer was good for what it was right now. It still has a long way to go and I'm glad I have someone who has a bottle still. I can't wait to try this in a year or so.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to emerge077 for sharing this at our impromptu Thursday night beer tasting event. Served in the usual Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Pours with a finger-plus of foam that leaves behind splotchy lacing, thick collar, and thin ring of foam. Dark brown hazy body. This has definitely carbonated - glad Matt followed the instructions on the label.

S - This reminds me a little Sui Generis, with elements of spicy barrels, notes of earth and char, and a hefty dark malt bill that imparts dark fruits as well as some light sour cherry. Less alcohol here, which is a plus.

T - Taste is sweeter, with more vinous notes and funkiness than the nose suggests. Again, there are some barrel, lactic, and light acidic notes, but this could probably use some more time for the latter two to grow and help offset the strength of the malt bill.

M - Moderate carbonation, and a smooth, creamy, medium body that is pleasant but seems out of place. Lightly tannic finish, but not overly puckering or drying. Minimal heat.

D - I liked this one enough to take a to-go cup to the movies after our tasting. I'm curious to see how my bottle will taste after a few more months.

Dantalion Dark Wild Ale from Upland Brewing Company