Oktoberfest | Upland Brewing Company

Added by zerk on 10-03-2002

Reviews: 69 | Ratings: 165
Reviews by Pauly2X:
4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

A- Deep gold, almost light amber in color. Good half finger head.

S- Caramel and toast with a noticable but not overpowering noble hop pressence.

T- Malty sweet, caramel and toast flavors abound yet stay mellow enough to enjoy without pretense. Virtually no hop bitterness but there's a good amount of hop flavor to go around. Finishes sweet without being cloying.

M- Smooth and rich while retaining quaffability. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O- Easily one of the better Domestic Marzen's I've had and it can easily hold it's own against it's German counterparts. I think I'll have to go grab a sixer of this before it's gone.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Clear pale copper hue, decent lacing. Smells of fresh cut hay, toasted bread and herbal hops. Modest level of carbonation, grassy maltiness, bready throughout, ample hop bitterness, herbal, clean, dry finish.

Hits up all the right elements for the style ... drinkable even if it does not have a huge wow factor.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliant copper hue with a large off white khaki head, fine even lacing billowing head that's what I'm talking about. Aroma toasted caramel notes, hints of nuts, and dessert breads. Flavor is crisp complex lager clean finish, malty bread notes, earthy hops to balance it out. I like the nuttiness and the dry components that settle on the palate between sips, ample carbonation feels great going down highly drinkable with well hidden alcohol. 6.8% abv is barely noticeable, refreshing drinkable lager. Overall a really nice drinking lager, I'm glad I picked up a whole sixer this is my first introduction to Upland brewing.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a deep, clean amber with thick white suds but only a thin wisp of lace.

Nose is malty and grainy with tones of caramel and toffee. Pretty well a spot-on representation for a Bavarian-style Oktoberfest.

Taste is nice and well-rounded, with more of the malty toffee notes. The sweetness is up front, but it's not overbearing at all. I also get a slight citrus hop hint near the finish. A solid and enjoyable Oktoberfest.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

12oz single bottled 8/07, bought a 6 pack at belmont beverage while i lay around in my hotel in south bend

appearance: pours into hotel tumbler, clear cola-amber body, very light beige head with no lacing...quite bubbly and very clear

smell: big malty nose, a touch woody, caramel, bready

taste: pretty good oktoberfest, big caramel malt backbone with very little trace of earthy hops, woody, a touch metallic, bready, slightly buttery, cola-esque

mouthfeel: smooth, medium-light body

drinkability: just fine

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.78/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

Bottle says 20 ibu...wtf. This is a bitter beer with no aroma. Very disappointed after having a Samuel Adams octoberfest that was good at 16 ibu expected this to be better.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Following a recent marathon that I raced, my and my wife's families all got together and went to Upland Brewing Company for dinner. Dad and I got there first so we decided to go ahead and grab a beer while we waited. Naturally, we went for an Oktoberfest first.

This beer comes equipped with a thick, frothy, white, albeit with a slight orange tint, head that dissipates slowly to a thin lacing. The beer itself is a light amber and is clear with light carbonation visible. 4/5 The aroma is fairly sweet with caramel, light wheat bread, apricot, peach, and sweet malted grains really taking the cake. Herbal and grassy hops comes through just a bit to balance things out a bit. 4/5 A sticky caramel comes put right away on the sip with the light wheat bread making a fairly quick appearance right behind it. Fruity notes of apricot and peach come out in the middle along with a grainy sweetness that acts as an undertone. Herbal and grassy hops come to the forefront near the end providing just a bit of bitterness that does not linger. 4/5 This is a light bodied Oktoberfest that fully coats the tongue and mouth, providing a thirst quenching feeling with no drying to it. There is a light carbonation tickle on the front end that disappears fairly quickly. 4.25/5 This was actually my second time having this beer so this review acts as a re-review. I'm very glad that I ordered this again because although I enjoyed it the first time, I enjoyed it even more this time. Maybe it was the running, maybe it was the freshness of the beer (the first review was from bottles I believe), who knows. This is definitely an Oktoberfest that I will come back to. 4/5

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Had on tap...

A- Poured a golden orange color. One finger white head shows medium retention. Light lacing on the glass.

S- Toasted malts in the front of the beer. There was a light off aroma that I couldn't quite put my figner on. Grassy hops in the backing of this balances out the aroma quite nicely.

T- Grassy hops with some bitterness in the front of the beer. The toasted malts kick in the middle of the beer with a light sweetness as wel. There is a light hop bite in the backing of this beer that balances out the beer from the malts.

M- Medium mouthfeel to the beer. Carbonation is good for the style. Grassy hops left on the palate with a toasted malt and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Flavors were well balanced and crisp. Alcohol not very drying on the palate.

D- This was a good beer. The ABV wasn't the highest but...even this made it a couple and done. I really like this beer even though I'm not the biggest Oktoberfest style fan.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

An excellent example of an Oktoberfest from Upland. Beer pours a rich copper orange with
an endless pool of tight beaded white foam and great lacing. Fresh for this time of year the
nose is of caramel and rich fresh bread malts with a touch of herbal hops. Taste is most
excellent with rich caramel malts to the front and back, a nice fresh bread like flavor, and light
hops coming in on the background. A most excellent mouthfeel with solid carbonation and
a mild coating feel. Very nice. The more I have from this brewer the more I like it. VERY NICE.
A most excellent session Oktoberfest if I ever had one.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, bottled in August 2013. One of my friends gave me this a couple weeks ago. Served in a mug, the beer pours an orange/copper color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like toasted malt, bready malt, and a bit of fruit (apple). The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of some herbalness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, but I wish I would have been able to try this when it was fresher. If I get the chance to, then I'll review it again.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

bottled sept 2011

pours clear dark golden copper with a 1 finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of apples bready malts

tastes of earthy hops and sweet bready malts

mouthfeel - rather boring flat medium full body

overall - there are much better marzen brews on the market - hell SA oktoberfest is better

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Of all of the seasonal brews and Octoberfest brews I have tried so far this one may very well be my favorite. Though I couldn't enjoy it to the fullest in a pint glass, I still was very fond of it. Taste of strong, not sweet, malt. A distinct flavor that blend with the also powerful hops present, and an ever present taste of alcohol in the aftertaste, reminding you of the strong ABV. Another really good brew by Upland, as usual. I can't wait to finally try the Chocolate Stout this upcoming season...

Oktoberfest from Upland Brewing Company