Sledgehammer IPA | The Rock Wood Fired Pizza And Spirits

Style: American IPA

Added by sockeye101 on 09-14-2006

Reviews by sockeye101:
3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Sledgehammer is a nice, balanced IPA, not earth shattering, but definitely a good beer. It had a nice little head that left nice lacing, and was a clear, amber/orange color. Smells were typical IPA, nice citrus notes, floral, sweet and just a bit of spice. Taste was bitter up front, but not over the top bitter, with a nice little piney spice and a citrus layer. Finishes with touch of smooth malt and a lasting bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was good, crisp and easy to drink. Definitely an IPA I'd serve up to a fellow BA.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice hop bitterness, a little bit of balance, strong flavor. One of the better restaurant brewed IPAs I've had.

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What can I say?? Not much about this local brew. It was not a "bad" ipa, but I can't say that I would make a habit of this beer.

A Amber/Orange with an iced tea undertone. Very small head that lasted about half the glass. Ample lace around the pint.

S Citrus and Pine... I guess it just struck me as mediocre

T Citrus, like orange rind in the front with a "mint" like middle followed with an astringent bitterness ending.

M Crisp on the tounge, but left my mouth with a tacky film that coated my pallate

D Like I said, not a bad beer but I don't think that I would put it on my repeats list.

Over all a good attempt. Just tastes like it is missing something.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.87/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served on draft at a Rock Wood in Highlands Ranch, CO. The beer is an attractive orange, with a small head. Smell is mostly floral. The taste is of undifferentiated hop bitterness, with an equally undistinguished malt base.

This is a forgettable, though competent, IPA; nothing is especially striking about it, but it is pleasant enough to accompany a pizza. The ingredients and mouthfeel are right, but the sum is less than the whole of its parts. My final impression is 'generic'.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%