Hefe Weizen | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Availability: Summer

Added by feloniousmonk on 06-15-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

This beer came a foggy peach and gold that seemed a little dark for the style.

Smells of sweet corn syrup and confectioners sugar with some peaches and doughy yeast. I’m also getting a little mandarin orange and lemon. Too sweet!

Tastes of sweet cantaloupe that picks up a little lemon and turns to a musky, sour yeast. Finishes a little bitter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation.

Not too hot for the style, but not entirely terrible.

3.81/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

at the TH Tap, into the appropriate glassware, nice thick and tight head and decent retention, not a lot of lacing, a little more amber in color than I expected. Lots of clove, wheat and a kiss of honey but not a lot of complexity, and not much banana or any other fruity esters. On the taste, it is very satisfying, with what the nose promises but better, and a little more fruit (both banana and a little citrus). Cloves really dominate, though. Body is kind of substantial and mouthful is smooth but not as dry or zesty on the finish as I wished. A fairly good version of a hefe...I'd definitely be happy to drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

gowler into big-ass mug, review from notes

I'm not going to go into much detail, because it's not needed. The smell and taste were classic hefe: banana, clove, fruity esters, peppery spice. Very bright and colorful(?).

This was an excellent hefe, one I wouldn't mind getting again. The town hall brewery strikes again.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a solid, opaque, slightly mustard, yellow, with not much head and sheets of bubbling lacing. The aroma is pretty solid, quite nice, spicy and yeasty and oh so wheaty, but I'd also describe it as smooth, as in not one to attack the olfactories with zing. The taste classic, beautiful, hefe-nly goodness, very fresh, very clean, very drinkable. There isn't as much banana or clove as I might have figured, some lemon citrus which may be from brewing or more likely from the wedge that I threw out as quickly as I could. In all, I thought this was a good one, and I'll probably have it a few more times here soon.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours like a hefeweizen ought to - pale, cloudy orange body topped with a nice dose of white foam that leaves a distinct set of lace after each sip.

A bit one dimensional on the nose... it's all about dat malted wheat. There's a bit of honey and sweet yeast in the mix as well.

Creamy wheat flavors blend with clove, semi-sweet honey, a little citrus maybe?

It's an easy drinking beer, no doubt. I'ma make this growler my bitch.

3.23/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours to a hazy yellow-orange color, with a creamy white head. The aromas are of wheat, cloves, and fruits--- bananas. The flavor is fruity, clove-like and of wheat malts. It finishes dry. This is a light bodied refresher, a great summertime brew. Tasty hefe.

Sampled 5/30/04

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

First beer (second was Potatoe Stout) while watching the Twins vs. Angles game and chatting with a pint club member.

Served in a pint glass (should have gotten the weizen glass...$10 for the full glass and you get to keep it!). Hazy orange, beautiful! Off white cap sits on top with good retention and leaves some decent lacing.

The nose starts out strong with bananas and cloves, bavarian yeast and citrus. Good stuff!

Holy moly, I was expecting a smooth, yeasty bavarian weizen, but the most noticeable thing about this is the blast of citrus! Really wasn't expecting that at that intensity level. Typical clove, banana and bavarian yeast are also there. The citrus is tart and almost sour, and the more I thought about it, I started to see why the Gose and Berliner Weissbier styles became popular at one point in time!

Mouthfeel is a good contrast between smooth and yeasty, and sharp, acidic and citrusy. Good carbonation level. Drinkability is solid, a great session beer.

I beleive the menu said this years version of the Hefe was 5.7%, but I could be thinking of a different beer.

Overall, yet another solid beer from Town Hall. My reviews of Town Hall are begining to become redundant, but it's just not fair when it comes to their brews. They don't make bad beer, it's that simple.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Hazy orange-yellow, absolutely opaque. Some pieces of yeast and wheat are a little large, but generally not. The head is bright white, and while if I really tried from the growler (I also got it on tap with similar results) I could whip up a good one, in general it was fairly small, only 2-3 fingers.

S: BANANAS! This beer definitely captures the banana esters of the hefe yeast fantastically. There's a little cloviness, some tropical fruits maybe and just a hint of malt, not hops though.

T: Again, it's like a banana milkshake. More of the tropical, almost citrusy fruit flavors (it went great with both BBQ Chicken Pizza and Snap Pea Chicken) that I'm not sure are from the hops or the yeast. Either way, it's great.

M: Texture was a little dense, to be honest. But for a hefe released this early, that's ok.

D: Quite. It's calling me back soon, I can tell you that much. It goes down easy and is a welcome change of pace from overly sweet or roasted stouts or any sort of pale or india ale.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass.

Poured a pretty nice hazy golden color with a soft, pillowy, white head. It left a nice lacing in the glass, with plenty visible carbonation bubbles rising to the glass, this one looked pretty tasty. Smell was of banana and clove, but I didn't find it to be amazing. Taste does have some banana and lemon zest, but cloves mostly dominate this one. Pretty good, just could have been better. Medium bodied, high carbonation, fit in well with this one. Drinkability was ok, but for a weizen I think it could be better. Pretty good, I just expected more.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

3.22/5  rDev -20.3%

Cloudy white and gold color. Banana and cloves on the nose. The initial attack is consistent with the nose. The clove flavor is heavy but it cleans up surprisingly well before the finish. The appearance is really more similar to a white ale in my opinion. The malt is much more pronounced in the flavor than I accustomed to in a hefeweizen. I can't say whether I favor this or not, but I do know that it ranks in the middle as one of the many in the hefeweizens I have had. Worth a shot.

This beer has a nice cloudy, orange-yellow appearance. Not much of a head. The smell and taste of this beer go pretty much hand in hand, refreshing wheaty malt dominates, not as much fruity esters as some hefe's I've tried, and a definite spicy/clove presence. you can definitely taste some banana in the aftertaste too. Good mouthfeel and drinkabiliy, nothing really of note. This is a fine representation of the style, I have had better hefe's but I would not hesitate to order a pitcher of this on Town Hall's patio.

4.41/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler

A—thick, cloudy orange with a touch of yellow, 1 inch head that fizzles away almost immediately, light lacing for a short time, but that fades away, too

S—strong wheat, citrus and floral, banana sticks out, something else is there, too, but I can’t make it out…smells slightly nutty, but not really nutty.

T—sweet wheat and banana is dominate, mixed in with some vanilla that balances this one out nicely

M—medium bodied, a little slimy, the carbonation fades quickly as I drink it

D—very good. I wish I had more than one pint, but my wife has finished the growler by the time I finish my first one….guess that’s what I get for doing a review…

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Had this in a pint glass at Town Hall

A- Yellow Gold very opaque and still, really a good looking Hefe Weizen

S- Semi Sweet Malty good level of the smells not overpowering

T- Sweet a nice taste, with some very wheaty attributes

M- Just as expected from it just average nothing jumping out at me.

D- Nice and refreshing I would only have one in a night but I would order it agin.

Notes: Overall it is a very sold Hefe Weizen offering and worth a try to anyone who likes the style.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Orange/yellow body, almost like orange juice. The half-inch of pillowy, white head fades quickly into a thin layer. Great lacing left behind, really inviting.

The main smells here are cloves, banana, wheat, and corriander with some more spiciness on top of that. Little bits of lemons added in there too...

Taste isn't much different, the bananas and cloves take ahold of your palatte, not allowing the other flavors to really come out. A decent spiciness to the taste though, wheaty and sweet.

I thought this beer was medium bodied with high carbonation. It tastes great and is very refreshing. One of my favorite beers to grab from T-Hall.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Came with a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated slowly. The beer is hazy orange in color.

Smells of wheat, malt, bananas and cloves.

Tastes like the smell... wheat, bananas, cloves and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth, fine carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Clean, smooth finish.

Drinks very easy. A very refreshing beer on this warm summer day!!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangey-gold into my Duvel glass with a nice foamy white head that dissipated after a few sips.

Smell: Big sweet wheat aromas with a sour background.

Taste: Huge malty-sweet wheat flavors up front with hints of banana bread in the background. Cloves and spicy hop notes round out the flavor. Excellent hefe.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with medium-to-high carbonation, but very well done. Not too thick or syrupy.

Drinkability: Delightfully refreshing, even during the Minnesota winter. Goes down easy with or without food.

I went to Town Hall to get a growler of their IPA, but found that they were out of it. I had tried the Hefe the previous night so I "settled" for a growler of that. It is a very solid, flavorful, refreshing Hefe.

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast