Festivus 2013 | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Festivus 2013, as per their website: "Festivus!!! 8.9% ABV, A "holiday favorite for the Rest of Us." (Despite that it changes from year to year.) This beer changes every year. (Again, how does that make it a favorite?) 2014 version (???) is an Imperial Wit Beer. Big on Everything! Orange, alcohol, wheat."

8.9% ABV. Kind of big for a wibier.

I bought a growler last Wednesday, and I took it down tonight. Here are the notes:

Festivus 2013. Imperial Wit. Double the everything, the orange, the spice, the wheat, I guess, and definitely the booze.

Let's drink pour it out and drink it up.
Clouded, deep orange, slight and soon-gone white head.

Aroma: Citrus, spice, and alcohol. Floral and fruit notes emerge, mix with coriander, and blend with booze.

Taste: Wheat flavor is large in this, spice is high, and orange peel takes command. More than anything, booze is king. If been on record, here and elsewhere, about my dislike for this "style", or the very idea of "imperializing" this style. Smooth malt texture, supple body, expertly drinkable, if you don't count the high alcohol. Orange is the dominant flavor, but it can barely keep up with the hootch.

You know what: it tastes great, but I'm stuck with the fact I like these flavors better when the brew is lower alcohol and a breeze to toss back. Not a big boomer bruiser on the brain. I'm drinking this wishing the flavors were more delicate, and I wasn't as worried about my sobriety.

Festivus 2013 from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery