Mango Mama | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

#916

4.89/5  rDev +14%

Hadn't heard of this beer, before I showed up Minneapolis Town Hall this winter. I knew I wanted to try Masala Mama and their winter seasonal, but after my sister ordered one and i tried it, I was instantly hooked.

The appearance is nothing out of the ordinary. A light amber color, with a small amount of head that left good lacing. The smell was amazing! Very crisp with mango blending well with citrus and pine. The taste follows the smell very closely. The mango flavoring enhances an already great IPA in a way I never thought it would. I get citrus a decent malt backbone, with delicious mango flavor that I was skeptical about going in. The mouthfeel is substantial but not overly thick. Just right for an IPA. This beer, much like it's cousin Masala Mama shines in its drinkability as it is extremely smooth and crisp with tons of flavor.

I only wish they could make enough of this to allow people to fill growlers with it. This is truly a world class IPA.

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap at the Town Hall Brewery

A- Very clear which is surprising for this brew. Attractive 1 finger head, deep goldish orange hue, very attractive.

S- Excellent aroma. Spicy fruity, mixed with hops. That mango aroma really stuck out.

T- One of the best most unique IPAs I've ever tried. The fruity mango taste, mixed with the citrus, piney hops made this brew truly amazing.

M- Smooth on the palate, medium mouth feel, leaves a fruity mango taste on the palate, but balanced with the hops.

D- Truly an amazing beer, very drinkable, with amazing taste. The mango truly makes this beer unique and outstanding. Would be my go to beer if it was around more often. One of the best IPAs I've ever had.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at the brewery. Consumed with the Seven Corner's Burger. I was quite happy to see this on tap on a Wednesday considering it's only supposed to be available on Mondays. Pours a light amber/orange color with a small orange/white head that stuck around the entire time, leaving some average lacing. Very nice aroma of citrusy hops mixed with orangy Mango. Not much in the way of sweet malts as the sweetness in the nose comes mostly from the fruit. Flavor is fantastic! The way the sweet fruit balances with the bitter hops is phenomenal. It's sweet but not too sweet, mango flavor is present but not overpowering to the rest of the brew. Bitter, citrus hops balance out perfectly with the sweetness. This is a great beer, and I almost think I prefer this one to the regular Masala Mama. Yes. I like it that much.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Serving type-on tap poured into tulip glass.

A-Cloudy orange pour with very little head. The small head manages to leave a decent lacing ring around the glass though.
S-Citrusy - oranges, grapefruit and mangos. Gentle but noticeable hops.
T-How to describe this? Bliss! Smooth, a little sweet, and good fruitiness from the mangos up front. I can't stress the smooth enough. So very smooth that I almost want to gulp it yet savor the flavors at the same time. Some carbonation saturates the tongue in the middle and provides for a bridge to the hops. This is, after all, an IPA of one of the finest hoppy beer lineages. The hops are bitter and prickly on the tongue. Mango and citrusy goodness flows throughout the experience. The finish is all Masala Mama with the trademark bitterness that lingers and lingers and lingers on the tongue. Wow! What a gem!
M-So many different mouthfeels on this one as it works in stages. From lightly sweet and smooth to noticeable carbonation to prickly bitterness. It is an experience beer.
D-Why must you torture me Town Hall? You break this out every once in a while, for one keg at a time, you don't put it in growlers for me to take home, and then it is gone. The rest of the country needs to be able to enjoy Mango Mama too. Please find it in your heart to growler this so I can drink glass after glass in the comfort of my own home.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Mango keeps getting me on some of my favorite IPAs, and this is no exception. I keep thinking more fruit might throw off the balance, but maybe I just like them that way.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Another superb IPA from Minneapolis Town Hall. Poured from a cask into a pint glass. Pours an amberish brown with a lacy beige head. Nose is the perfect blend of mango and hops. More subtle mango in the taste, but still present. Clean, refreshing body. Nice finish.

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Decided to grab a few beers one night while the little lady worked late. Had this beer after their Smoked Porter so this tastes extra fruity after that. Drank from a small generic snifter.

Appearance- Pours a chill hazed light orange with little to no head. A super thin collar remains that amazingly leaves quite a bit if lacing as no real cap remains.
Smell- Smells a little like Masala with a bit of raw earthy pine from the start. Some dandelion and grass but the fruit is obviously the clear winner in the nose. The Mango is redonkulously fresh smelling and so inviting. Fruity and hoppy all intertwined in an amazingly spectacular nose.
Taste- Starts with a cleanly fruity mango kick that is citrusy and fresh but nowhere near sweet. It's somewhere between a fresh mango taste and a generic fermented mango fruitiness. Slightly bitter as well with a slight kick of pine and spearmint that is pretty earthy. The beer manages to stay fresh and lively and the freshness of the mango is amazing.
Mouthfeel- Bigger than medium body with a nice aggressive carbonation that works pretty well overall with the beer.
Drinkability- F bomb I love this beer. It's so drinkable and fruity but not ridiculous or girly. It couldn't possibly work together any better than this does with the bitter and the fruit. I usually like my fruit beer to be over-the-top like all New Glarus fruit brews and this one isn't. Just well done and supremely enjoyable.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Mango Mama on-tap at the Town Hall 10-25-2010. Poured into a pint glass:

A - A cloudy, foggy, murky slightly pumpkin orangish hue. No head (on my first pint) but some head on the second pint. No lacing at all.

S - Fresh mango, pineapple and sweet papaya. Really sweet and tropical. Smells like mixed fruit juice. I like my IPAs fruity smelling rather than over the top bitter, so this is nice for me.

T - Wow! The mangos and ipa bitterness go really well together. Kinda bitter sweet. Other flavors of pine and pineapple, bits of apple and other delicious fruits.

M - I feel the mixture of the mangos adds a thicker feel and makes it syrupy. Not really carbonated. Silk and smooth.

D - Easy and smooth. It makes me feel if I drank too much I'd get gut rot though. But a nice treat and great to share this rarity at a tasting with some friends.

4.72/5  rDev +10%

On tap @ GTOM

Easily one of my favorites at Great Taste.

A cloudy orange pour with a thick, white head.

Tons of citrus aroma. Mangos, mangos, more mangos, some orange and lemon dominate this IPA. It's nice and bitter, finishes dry and is 110% refreshing. Drinks almost like fruit juice on a hot summer day.

Wow, was this something else! I could put a whole growler of this down in an afternoon and not think twice. If you love mangos, what the hell are you waiting for?

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery