Mango Mama | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

townhallbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Stopped by the brewpub to pick up a growler, and it turned out this was on tap. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it, and I wasn't disappointed.

Pours a deep brown-orange amber, darker than most IPAs; hazy and opaque. Off-white head, not much in the glass when I got it, but good retention and sticky lacing.

Smell is full of nice floral and fruity hops. The hop character is hard for me to pin down - it has a little bit of fruit, a little bit of floral, and a hint of resiny pine. The smell also has a layer of sweetness, a combination of caramel malts and mango, that provides really nice balance.

Taste is, well, wow. It's just freaking delicious. It's a balanced IPA for sure, with hops that are present but not overpowering, nice resin. Bitterness is right where I like it - I feel it, and it gives the beer some kick, but it lets the other flavors come through. Add to that this fantastically well-balanced mango flavor. So often fruit-infused beers have either too little or too much of the fruit flavor, but this one is just so spot on. The mango complements and builds on the rest of the flavors, but they're all there together in such perfect balance. Finish is pretty quick, mostly bitter but with some lingering fruity sweetness.

Medium-bodied, good carbonation - just right for an IPA, but nothing remarkable about it.

In one word: balance. This beer is so well executed, with everything in it working together to build an outstanding whole. It may be the most balanced "flavor-added" beer I've ever tasted. The mango and IPA flavors work together in such harmony, with neither outshining the other. And the mango brings in a level of delicious complexity that's just... wow. I will definitely be back for more if I get the chance.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

First, let me say that I avoided this beer for quite a while since I DON'T LIKE MANGOS. I couldn't fathom why Town Hall would ruin a simply superb beer like Masala Mama by polluting it with something like that.

Man, was I wrong.

This beer is the sly, sweet, & subdued little cousin of Masala, & it's better. Same IPA color, but the smell is a mix of hops & mango.

Mango Mama is pure bliss on the tongue. Town Hall has managed to hit the sweet spot on the teeter totter, infusing just enough Mango to allow the hops to work with it, but not give either ingredient the upper hand. The result is an IPA that's a bit sweet, a bit fruity, & perfectly balanced. Fantastic.

I could, & have, had multiple glasses in one sitting. Another positive, this isn't sickly sweet like your average "fruit" beer.

Excellent beer & an improvement on one of the best IPAs out there.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to a very generous trader for finally hooking me up with this growler. This, along with Dark Lord and Kate the Great, was one of the first three beers I put on my "wants" list. This will be a day long remembered.

Pours a turbid, hazy orange. Light can't penetrate it. It's pretty much entirely opaque. Hmm...sediment city. Still, a nice robust white foam head.

Smells like rich succulent mango, along with papaya (???) and grapefruit along with a rich MANGO MANGO MANGO. I need to add that I love mango. One of my favorite fruits.

The tropical mango, papaya, white sweet grapefruit, a bit of bitterness lacing on the tongue, with an absolutely perfectly carbonated lasting tropical bitter bite. It's really a remarkable melding of an uber fruit base with a bitter, grapefruit IPA.

A superlative achievement.

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed on 3/2/09

Served a beautiful amber color that lights as you go down the glass with an awesome one-finger creamy head that sticks around for the entire show. The aroma is that of a superior IPA balanced with a nice hint of mango peeking through. The taste is a wonderful hop explosion that is immediately dulled by the sweet mango flavor that is just enough to hold its own against the hops. For the amount of hops in this brew, the mouthfeel is amazingly smooth and not at all sticky like one would assume. The drinkability is beautiful due to the fruity nature of this IPA. In my opinion, next to Surly Furious this is my favorite IPA!

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours an almost opaque copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts overrun by large amounts of tropical fruit hops - and of course mango. The mango is superbly crisp and enhances the tropical fruit and hints of herbal hops. If it were possible I might give this a 5.5 for the category, really amazing.

Tastes very good but not as intense or complex as the nose. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by large amounts of tropical fruit and herbal hop flavors. Mango flavors join in shortly thereafter but don't pop as much as they did in the nose. Midway through the sip the herbal hop flavors take over a bit, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I remember enjoying Masala Mama a lot but this treatment blows it out of the water. One of the more distinct beers I've ever had and it is amazing how the mango integrated with an already great beer. Seek this one out and give it a shot.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

They've had this off and on for the past few months, but seemingly more off than on. Last week, though, it was in and I had to revisit it for reviewing purposes.

Looks and smells exactly like the Masala Mama (not a bad thing) but with a tiny bit of mango in the nose (go figure). I'm wary of fruit beers in general, and was a bit surprised that I was only picking up a hint of the mango in the smell.

The taste upfront is very much like the Mama, but about two seconds after each sip the mango hits and it hits hard, completely cleansing the tongue of any bitterness from the hops, but not coming on so strong that you can't handle the sweetness. The balance is absolutely perfect, contrasting with the natural taste of the beer but not overpowering it at all.

It only comes in 10 oz servings, but costs the same as a normal pint, so I didn't really want to keep ordering it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stop. This is truly a spectacular beer. It's everything you want out of craft brewing: a wonderful mix of creativity and style. I can't recommend it highly enough.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

What a beer. This one really blew me away. A very pretty orange color but little head developed on this one. Nose is amazing--fresh hoppy citrus intermingles with real sweet mango notes. It's like smelling a fruit basket. Flavor really delivers with a truly unique IPA experience. Exceptional fresh mango flavors overlay a citrus and leafy hop profile that fades into a moderate and balanced malt backbone. Medium to full mouthfeel, this one really delivers. I think the other Town Hall beers I had were good, but not out of this world. This beer is out of this world, however. My only complaint really is that the mango mutes some of the bitterness, but I got my bitter fix on regular Masala Mama anyway.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Got three 10 ounce pours at Town Hall over the weekend. Is 30 ounces enough to tick this one off? Tasted side by side with Masala Mama, this one was slightly better IMO, both very good though.

Beer is orange and hazy and forms a thin broken head or white bubbles (small). Carbonation moderate and steady. Looks good.

Aroma is bitter with some piny hops and a hint of mango. Smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and a little sweet. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. If you can oxygenate the beer some the mango flavor comes out a lot, very prominent. Otherwise, there is a strong mango flavor in the back palate that competes with the strong bitterness. There is an earthiness to the whole thing that is also very interesting, piny simcoe like hop presence. Very drinkable, very good.

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%

A= the beautiful thick head stands out the most to me. Followed ty the deep amber orange color.
S= mangos and piles of hops. I really love the mango smell.
T= hops and beautiful mango! The mago taste isn't like a completely ripe mango but its still amazing! Possibly my new fav beer.
M= smooth and crisp
D= incredibly high. Ill be savoring this while its at town hall. A great beer.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

10oz pour served in a snifter.

I just randomly stopped into the best brew pub in the twin cities. To my surprise this gem was on tap. A perfect amber color lines the inside of my glass. Very little off white head. Less than half a finger. No lacing at all. Very sweet citrus smells. Candied fruit. Tastes like carbonated fruit juice up front. Sweet and tasty. But then you feel the hops and the touch of dryness in the backend of the sip. Truly a unique experience. Bartender informed me they used fresh mangos in this batch. It sure does shine through. To me this 6.7% abv beauty was quite refreshing. I could drink this all day long in the summer. I will be going back to get more.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one murky looking brew. Looks like homebrew, and that's a good thing. With a hard pour, I erect a nice frothy ivory white head. It doesn't stick around for long. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is fresh and citrusy. Mango juice and citric hop overtones blend to perfection. Awesome aroma. Flavor is mango dominated and it's the perfect complement to the otherwise outstaning fruity and citrusy Masala Mama. Hops blend in some other fruit notes as well, like apricot,tangerine and nectarine. Base malt is caramel and toffee, but it's in the distance. This is one boldly flavored IPA. Well done.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

On-tap at the brewery. From notes:

A- Hazy amber color, decent head and lacing.

S- Mango, mango and more mango. Thats all I can smell, it is a glorious scent though.

T- For the most part same as the smell, mango. Very sweet and somewhat bitter. Some apricot and hops. The flavor is actually very good, but halfway through I know I won't be ordering another.

M- Medium body with a good carbonation level.

D- Very interesting brew, unlike any other. I will order this anytime they have it around, but only one!

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

After missing this day less than a day at the pub earlier this summer I was glad to see MTH brought a keg of this along to GToM 2009.

A-Hazy, murky, orange copper with a medium light tan head that reduced to a thin ring and left some webby lace.

S-Ummm, this is tough...pungent mango with a supporting blast of bright citrus (grapefruit, orange, tangerine and lemon) along with a nice floral flourish. Light caramel sweetness in the background.

T-Luscious mango and bright citrus melds with herbal/floral hoppiness and fades into a pool of mildly sweet caramel malt. This is some mighty fine tasting stuff....just a touch less flavourful than the aroma is pungent.

M-Medium bodied, smooth with LONG lasting flavours, hop bitterness and a moderately dry finish.

D-Really? Not much to improve here....I wouldn't say it's better than Masala Mama, it's simply different yet, as good. Sweet, but never overly sweet. Of course, tasty as all get out! Kudos to MTH!

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Growler generously shared by Cam.

Pour is a bit hazy, dark orange with a big white head. Looks good. The nose is precisely two things - mango malt and big bitter hops. One almost needs a reminder of mango to get a picture of it - there is an almost hint of mintyness that is best summarized as that unique mango bite. Smells fantastic and really works with the hops. One of my favorite smelling hoppy beers of many hoppy beers sampled throughout the last year. The taste is really good, but doesn't come around quite as well. Unlike the nose, I feel like the taste doesn't meld together as nicely. Basically, it is only really good. Strong flavors of mango and that mango bite cover the maltiness of Masala Mama and sit distant from the largely pure bitter hops. It winds up not mattering that much, but it does keep the beer from a perfect taste grade. I think this could be a 5.0 with a more tropical hop profile, which would meld the flavors together a touch better. I wanted a juiciness to the hop bite that didn't quite come through. I am being picky though. The mouthfeel is nice on this beer with good carbonation and a good body. I could kill a growler of this all by myself with no issue. This is darn good stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Huge thanks to whoever cracked open this growler at the Brick Store.

This one poured with more carbonation than I have ever seen in a growler. It's a murky, almost milky-looking, orange with a huge head made up of massive bubbles that recedes very slowly and leaves good lacing.

Aroma is wonderful with lots of mangos, obviously, and plenty of oranges and pineapples as well. There is a faint malty presence in the background but this nose is dominated by citrus fruits.

The taste is even better, an initial blast of mango, pineapple and lightly floral hops and only the slightest malt sweetness in the background. The finish is bitter with hops and fruity.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied for a normal IPA with good carbonation. Still comes across as very smooth and slick.

This is a fantastic beer. It's one of the best tasting IPAs I've ever tasted actually. The fruit presence in the taste is unlike any I've tasted before due to the mango. Superb.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Growler shared by unclejedi at Jackie o's. Thank you for such a tasty tasty treat!!!

A crisp clean looking beer... Good head (poured from a counter pressure filled growler)

Smells of mango and hops

Tastes smooth and divine! The mango is strong enough to be apparent but doesn't overpower. The hop profile is top notch and blends perfectly.

A very crisp and clean drink with a good overall feel. Would definitely drink often if i could!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Got lucky on this one. We happened to stop in two days after they tapped it.

Appearance: Crystal Clear which was surprising because usually the tea-bagged mango breaks up a little more. A good head that actually stuck around longer than I thought it would. Aprox. two fingers.

Smell: Mango right up front. Pine, Citrus, Apple?. Mango was very nice and not too overpowering.

Taste: Amazing! One of the most interesting and still appealing IPA's that I have ever had. The mango was put on display beautifully while still keeping the back of the beer solid and balanced.
Mouthfeel: Smooth which isn't necessarily what I look for in this style. I little bit of a bite for the hops at the end but not as much as I would like.
Drinkability: Extremely drinkable because of a combination of great taste, great smell, and low bitterness. I could definitely sip back on a few of these.

Overall very very good. Most beers that try to highlight one particular item fall short for me. This beer stayed balanced while still presenting the mango well

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Dark orange in color, no head, just a ring around the top. The body is a lighter, more honey-colored hue toward the bottom of the glass. The nose is filled with hops and pine, along with a sort of citrus/orange peel and grapefruit gloriousness, very sweet, but not as mango-y as expected...

The taste is much the same, except with a definite mango presence coming up over the hops and pine, and the citrus flavors. Very crisp, medium body and a little carbonation tie together this balance of bitter and sweet, easy to sip and a great taste. This was a terrific beer.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 10 oz mini-goblet.

Appearance: Served with a half finger of white head. Color is similar to Masala, but more hazed. A golden orange color.

Aroma: Smells a lot like masala mama, but I can smell the mango. Sweet citruses and floral/pine hops are there as well. Very exciting.

Taste: The mango in this beer is so good. Sweet grapefruit citrus. Floral and pine flavored hops are present, but the mango really brings the bite from the hops down.

MF: Bitter, but nice and sweet. Leaves a very clean aftertaste for an IPA. One of the best I have had. Medium bodied. Very well carbonation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer and have to say it was better than the regular. Very drinkable and I really want more. It is sweet, but still has the hop bite which is nice.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Had on tap during their anniversary week. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head on top that reduces to a thin cap on top with little bits of lacing here and there.

S: Wow, tons of fresh mango, it really dominates the aroma. There is also a bit of light pineapple and a grassy aroma. Love this.

T: Again, a huge burst of mango and other tropical fruit flavors, more light grassy. Definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Medium bodied, syrupy and sweet, but still smooth and easy drinking. Nice level of carbonation.

O: As mango is one of my favorite fruits, I loved this beer. Yes, it is very sweet, but I would be pumped to drink this one often.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a nice, bright orange with some moderate haze and a nice off-white head. Served in what is probably best described as a medium-sized goblet.

S: Very nice hit of mango with pineapple and other tropical fruits coming through. The fruit and the hops roll into one, with some piney and earthy notes hitting behind.

T: Again, this is definitely mango-forward. However, the hops have a much bigger role in the flavor than they did in the nose. The front is all mango, but the finish is dry with piney resin and a bit of dry peppery earthiness. Some malt in the background, but definitely much less so than in regular Masala Mama.

M: Moderate body with a great dryness on the finish.

D: Really, really fantastic all around. Amazed that I finally got to try this. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time.

EDIT: Just as good in the growler format. Huge thanks to beckel for sending one out to me.

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery