Mango Mama | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

townhallbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

2.03/5  rDev -52.6%

A: After the growler shared by Lordkrystic so graciously exploded and shot beer all over my kitchen(which I am still cleaning up) it gushed, gushed some more leaving a cloudy deep orangish beer with a big rocky white head

S: Underneath the plethora of medicine and plastic was some fresh mango

T: Initial sip was, as expected, over the top phenols. Initial taste of a funky piece of medicinal soaked plastic. I put it down, walked away, then tried it again. No go.

M: Overcarbonated, light-medium body, the plastic and medicine killed it.

O: Considering the other reviews were stellar I d't think this is a problem with MTH. I have had several growlers from them before with no issues. I would like to give this another shot but unsure when I will have the chance

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

64 oz growler with a best by date of 11/09/10 poured into a Bell's tulip on 10/25/10 (the day of its release!)

Appearance 2/5
Murky orange-brown with a tiny dirty orange head with poor retention and no lacing. Not the looks of a beer, much less of an IPA.

Aroma 2/5
Nose is reminiscent of India, seriously: dry and intensely hot summer afternoons, and mangoes - fresh mangoes, mango juice, mangoes and spice. American IPA? No. For an IPA that has hints of mangoes without smelling like mango juice itself, I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted.

Taste 3/5
I have to say that taste redeems this beer to a certain extent. There's some sweetness, massive fruitiness from mangoes, and decent bitterness but no hop flavor. Finish is slightly bitter, and quite dry, but not crisp. Carbonation is low which is generally to my liking but not this time.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Soft, with low carbonation, and decent overall, but the finish ruins it.

Drinkability 4/5
Not bad, strangely!

Other
This alcoholic beverage might not be bad but it's not beer. It's overdone in my opinion.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

On tap at Town Hall.

Hmm. Orange-yellow pour, thin white ringlet. Malty nose, with some fruity undertones. This was mainly a malt-bomb, which kind of surprised me after looking at the reviews for so long. It actually reminded me a lot of a homebrew I did a couple years ago, and I ended up calling it a "mango strong ale," because it didn't really come out as an IPA for me. Same deal here. Sweet mango pulp in the taste, but no real IPA bite...malty and fruity sweetness, that was about it. I honestly couldn't even finish the glass. Chewy medium body, and just not very good overall.

3.11/5  rDev -27.3%

On draught at the brewery, Mango Mama is turbid, dull orange with small, big bubbled skim that quickly dissipates, leaving a flat, thick looking beer that is most unappealing.

Smell is really sweet and sugary - this smells like mango juice, not beer. If I dig, the hops are definately there, but I doubt I would have picked up on them in a blind sniff test.

Taste is weird - every sip, my first reaction is "oh no, that's bad"...but then the finish isn't so bad, and I'm left confused! Something about the cigar box quality of the hop spice with the fruit isn't really working for me, but individual parts are fine. Not as hoppy as the regular Masala Mama I had right before, it's still got some resiny spice, and then the fruit taste literally like fruit juice - did they just dump mango juice into the secondary? Something about this reminds me of drinking incense, and I'm much too old to be lighting bong hits with a stick of nag champa...

Mouthfeel is very dry, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability isn't too high. While I warmed up to it, I never really got into it, and would definitely not get it again. While the base IPA is not the best in the world, it's solid, and much better then this radler style version....

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

3.41/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -19.6%

Cheers to Sean for hooking us up with this on a random Wednesday night.

A - Really opaque, hazy beer. Reminds me of a big IPA that's been sitting in a cask, almost looks like juice. Orange color, not the prettiest beer on the planet.

S - Huge mango flavor, smells great, I'm impressed that they could make the mango smell so amazing and not overly sweet or artificual. Nice floral and earthy hops compliment.

T - What a total disappointment. Some generic hops and dirt, little metal, not a whole lot of the mango I was expecting. Definately sweet, with some citrusy grapefruit in there. This is okay, very average.

M - Medium bodied, very full feeling for the weight. Moderate carbonation, I don't think the mouthfeel really added to the taste, made it feel too thick and like juice.

D - I didn't really care a ton for the taste on this one, it was unique and okay, but that's about it. That made me not really want to drink tons of it. Sean said it just wasn't a good batch, so I'd like to revisit in the future.

3.47/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for sharing, Rich.

A: Pours a rather cloudy dark golden apricot with a fuzzy white head.
S: Sweet citrus dominates alongside notes of grassy hops, mint and just a hint of mango.
T: Citrus rind, leafy, and green tasting hops with just a hint of sweet dried mango. I was expecting much more mango, but what is there is nice.
M: Medium-thick body with a greasy, savory, mouthfeel. Lowish carbonation.
O: Not as fantastic as I was hoping for but still a solid beer. I would love to try it from the source someday.

3.52/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Tap, into a tulip, pours a clear deep orange-Amber with minimal off white head that dissipates quickly. Some bread and a lot of overripe dark mango on the nose. No hoppy bite on the tongue, no bright tropical flavors...a lot of mango pulp, though...some depth of flavor, but not much complexity. Disappointed. Give me the regular any day...I've heard such good things about this one that I really want this to be a flawed batch, even though I don't think there are technical flaws here.

3.54/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Bobby for another Town Hall Tick.

A: There are some seriously high NTUs on this beer. The pour is an incredibly murky brownish orange color with a finger's worth of peach colored head that dies away to a thin layer.

S: Certainly a very fruit forward nose. Lots of grapefruit hops along with plenty of tart (and somewhat sweet) mango notes. A very pungent aroma, indeed.

T: There's a decent hop bitterness to this beer that I wasn't necessarily expecting from the fruitiness of the aroma. I get more grapefruit than anything out of this. The mango is there, but not as intense as I would have expected. It's slightly sharp and acidic, seemingly from the carbonation.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation that works well for IPAs (I think, anyway).

D: I really wanted this to be good, but I would much rather have a glass of Masala Mama. The mango doesn't really seem to add anything that great to this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Tried this at Sweetwater with Urbancaver and Cashew70

A - Pours a cloudy amber with an off white head

S - Strange mango smell

T - Tastes predominantly of mango with a little bit of hoppiness

M - light bodied with a small amount of carbonation

D - high

Thanks to Urbancaver for this one!

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

3.61/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Town Hall Tap. This beer arrives a hazy orange-red color. The head is half an inch in height, and lingers a while. The aroma is of mango, grapefruit, and oranges. The taste is similar to the aroma, but with some pine resin coming through. The mango characteristic in both the flavor and aroma is subdued enough to not lend a lot to the beer, but strong enough to take away a lot of the great qualities of Masala Mama. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, I can quite disappointed with this beer, and will most likely pass on it next time.

3.64/5  rDev -15%

Enjoyed at the brewpub with the FMonk, Al McArthy. Not much in aroma, mango neutralized the hop. Looks fruitier, adding some bulk and colour to regular IPA. Gives it some fruity to the bitterness. Overall its a wash and a change of pace. You have to chase down this one, even though advertised as always on Mondays.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Growler into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Opaque (i.e., seriously muddy) orange body with a thin, quickly dissipating tan head. Looks like raw mango milk, if such a thing exists. Not something I find terribly appealing.

S: Holy mango, Batman! That's a lot of mango. Seriously, this smells like nothing but pure mango juice. It's crazy, juicy, fresh, and tart, but it isn't an IPA.

T: Starts with mango, and finishes (eventually) with some piney hop bitterness. Maybe even a little malt midway through. Pretty darn tasty, but overwhelming with the mango IMO.

M: Smooth medium body with almost no carbonation. Not terrible for a growler, but not good, either.

D: The mango is great if you like mango; I'm not that crazy about it, so its total dominance is a bit of a drinkability liability.

Notes: Huge thanks to the generous BA who brought this to the post-NotF tasting. This is one of those beers that I was super eager to try, but didn't know what to expect. While I enjoyed regular Masala Mama both times I had it (both from a traded growler and on cask at the brewpub), I've never found it to be the transcendent beer that some make it out to be. Mango Mama impresses me significantly less. Sure, the addition of tons of mango makes a beer taste like mango. It also, in this case, destroyed the balance and complexity that the beer originally possessed. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Cheers!