Mango Mama | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by feloniousmonk on 09-25-2007

Reviews: 111 | Ratings: 270
3.64/5  rDev -15%

Enjoyed at the brewpub with the FMonk, Al McArthy. Not much in aroma, mango neutralized the hop. Looks fruitier, adding some bulk and colour to regular IPA. Gives it some fruity to the bitterness. Overall its a wash and a change of pace. You have to chase down this one, even though advertised as always on Mondays.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Turbid appearance, completely opaque. The head is fleeting, the body, unsurprisingly, is the color of mango flesh.

Tons of mango on the nose. Sweet and tart mango flesh with an herbal, citrusy hop note buried under the fruit. A great nose, I really like the fruit character.

Tastes like bitter mango juice. The fruit flavor is huge, but thankfully more citrusy and lightly tart than sweet. There's maybe a hint of malt, but the mango really obliterates the base beer. Hop flavors are present in the form of citrus and herbs. It finishes similar to Masala Mama; bitter and punchy, but clean. The malt character of Masala Mama is lost here.

This was fairly enjoyable and very easy to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. When it comes to IPAs, I prefer the fruit flavors to come from hops.

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color; the modestly sized head leaves dots and shards of lace

Smell: Fruit juice aromas featuring orange and mango

Taste: After an initial hint of the biscuit, a growing fruit flavor of tart orange and mango takes over; the profile grows puckeringly bitter after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Although this was quite tasty, I was expecting an insanely fruity ale, so the tart and bitter flavors were a bit of a surprise

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours a nice, bright orange with some moderate haze and a nice off-white head. Served in what is probably best described as a medium-sized goblet.

S: Very nice hit of mango with pineapple and other tropical fruits coming through. The fruit and the hops roll into one, with some piney and earthy notes hitting behind.

T: Again, this is definitely mango-forward. However, the hops have a much bigger role in the flavor than they did in the nose. The front is all mango, but the finish is dry with piney resin and a bit of dry peppery earthiness. Some malt in the background, but definitely much less so than in regular Masala Mama.

M: Moderate body with a great dryness on the finish.

D: Really, really fantastic all around. Amazed that I finally got to try this. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time.

EDIT: Just as good in the growler format. Huge thanks to beckel for sending one out to me.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into an oversized tulip. Big thanks to joshuaseresse for this in a recent trade.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange, with several big & foamy fingers of dirty off-white head. This peters down pretty darn quickly, looking flat and dead with a light foamy ring around the edges and leaving just a light smattering of spotty lacing down the sides of the glass. The mango immediately jumps out in the aroma, being full of juicy smelling sugars and fruit character. Pine and earth cuts through the center of things with a certain amount of sharpness, while light toasted malts are also present and mostly mingle with the sweetness of the mango. Some light floral tones hang on the edges of the nose.

The taste is fruit and sugary feeling in the mouth, with a mix of bread, sweeter caramel, and mango flavor that literally just drips with an overripe juiciness to it. This blend leaves a big impression on the profile, before starting to pull up before the swallow and prickling the tongue with more hoppy notes of resins, grapefruit, bitter rind, and spice which all linger with an earthy and dry feel. Just a little bit of residual fruit and sugars hang on the lips with a light smack after each sip of this. The mouthfeel is medium, maybe a touch fuller bodied, with a crisp prickliness to the carbonation along where all of that bitterness runs, while being more thick and slick underneath where that overripe fruit and sticky malt resides. Overall, this is just hugely drinkable and I'm not getting one iota of alcohol from the body at all.

I initially had some worries when I first cracked this growler, as the rapidly faded look and an almost metallic feel that initially came out in the taste (which then rapidly disappeared as this warmed) had me fearing that maybe this had spent more time in the growler than it should have. The more I had of this though, the more that I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong and this REALLY grew on me the more I worked on it. The mango, while strong, gives this quite a refreshing fruity quality but there is more than enough bitterness to keep the hopheads happy as well. I must say though that the drinkibility was what impressed me the most though. I was ripping through glasses of this much faster than I seem to remember doing with my last growler of the regular Masala Mamma. Wow, I really ended up enjoying this. Wish I had some more.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Thrilled to finally have been able to sample this one, I think this is easily one of my top five most sought after. Lovely pint, served cold and proudly enjoyed.

Rich golden amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich mangos, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly. so drinkable I could have had a gallon and a half of this one.

Amazing beer. One of the best, if not the best single ipa i have had in years. Worth every ounce of angst I have had to try it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 10 oz mini-goblet.

Appearance: Served with a half finger of white head. Color is similar to Masala, but more hazed. A golden orange color.

Aroma: Smells a lot like masala mama, but I can smell the mango. Sweet citruses and floral/pine hops are there as well. Very exciting.

Taste: The mango in this beer is so good. Sweet grapefruit citrus. Floral and pine flavored hops are present, but the mango really brings the bite from the hops down.

MF: Bitter, but nice and sweet. Leaves a very clean aftertaste for an IPA. One of the best I have had. Medium bodied. Very well carbonation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer and have to say it was better than the regular. Very drinkable and I really want more. It is sweet, but still has the hop bite which is nice.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

On tap at Town Hall.

Hmm. Orange-yellow pour, thin white ringlet. Malty nose, with some fruity undertones. This was mainly a malt-bomb, which kind of surprised me after looking at the reviews for so long. It actually reminded me a lot of a homebrew I did a couple years ago, and I ended up calling it a "mango strong ale," because it didn't really come out as an IPA for me. Same deal here. Sweet mango pulp in the taste, but no real IPA bite...malty and fruity sweetness, that was about it. I honestly couldn't even finish the glass. Chewy medium body, and just not very good overall.

3.54/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Bobby for another Town Hall Tick.

A: There are some seriously high NTUs on this beer. The pour is an incredibly murky brownish orange color with a finger's worth of peach colored head that dies away to a thin layer.

S: Certainly a very fruit forward nose. Lots of grapefruit hops along with plenty of tart (and somewhat sweet) mango notes. A very pungent aroma, indeed.

T: There's a decent hop bitterness to this beer that I wasn't necessarily expecting from the fruitiness of the aroma. I get more grapefruit than anything out of this. The mango is there, but not as intense as I would have expected. It's slightly sharp and acidic, seemingly from the carbonation.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation that works well for IPAs (I think, anyway).

D: I really wanted this to be good, but I would much rather have a glass of Masala Mama. The mango doesn't really seem to add anything that great to this beer.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally get to try this one. Poured from a growler into my Southern tier tulip glass. It looked pretty much like apple cider in my glass, brown and murky. At least if any of the trick or treaters ask tonight it will pass for cider. It poured with very little head and what was there completely disappeared in a minute or so. It's hard to rate this one's appearance, as a traditional American IPA it would score pretty bad on looks. It's not very traditional though and having regular Masala Mama I'm sure the mangos have a lot to do with the look. I'm going to cut it some slack in this category and say it's average for fruit addition beers, which is probably still generous.

The mangos really come through in the aroma. They give it a bright, juicy, fruity, tropical citrusness that just adds to the citrus hoppiness already present. A little bit of grapefruit and pine come out in it as well. Pretty good hoppiness overall, and the mangos really add some cool flavors to it.

The taste really shows off the mangos too. Like the nose they add a brighter, citrusy and fruity element with more tropical fruit flavors coming through. It also has a pretty big grapefruit bitterness coming through with some pine to it as well. I'm getting a bit of a peppery like spice to it as well towards the finish. The finish shows more of the juicy mango fruit lingering for a bit. Very nice flavors to it overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it had some very nice hoppy and fruity flavors to it. The mangos went pretty well with the hoppiness overall and seemed to add some nice tropical citrus and fruity flavors to an already excellent beer. Cool beer overall and a pretty good beer overall. Glad I had the chance to finally try it.

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

Had on tap during their anniversary week. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head on top that reduces to a thin cap on top with little bits of lacing here and there.

S: Wow, tons of fresh mango, it really dominates the aroma. There is also a bit of light pineapple and a grassy aroma. Love this.

T: Again, a huge burst of mango and other tropical fruit flavors, more light grassy. Definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Medium bodied, syrupy and sweet, but still smooth and easy drinking. Nice level of carbonation.

O: As mango is one of my favorite fruits, I loved this beer. Yes, it is very sweet, but I would be pumped to drink this one often.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

I'm sure this is just an oversight, but I can't find the "stone growler" option here...I'm sure they'll put one in soon.

Much thanks to Mike Hoops for this fine gift to the members of the Stone Growler community. I missed this one when it was briefly on tap, and now here it is, free of charge in my own very expensive ceramic vessel.

Hazed, deep amber hue, good, lasting white head, if small.

Aroma is ripe and green, bristly, piney, and sweet. Grapefruit meets papaya bristly and burry, but smooth. Remarkably complex and delightful,,,hops aplenty meets juicy sweet fruity.

Taste: WOW! The mango has taken over and holds court in all areas of the palate, with that pleasing Mama hop profile lying just below. Bright, green, then slightly bitter...a bitter hop/sweet fruit tango.

Delicious stuff, this. Easy-drinking, and bursting with flavor. Medium bodied, lightly bitter finish. No wonder this blew out of the pub in a day or so (it was just one keg, I heard, though).

The fruit infusion madness at Town Hall continues apace, but this isn't crazy, it's all out genius. As if my favorite beer couldn't get any better, here it is!

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Got three 10 ounce pours at Town Hall over the weekend. Is 30 ounces enough to tick this one off? Tasted side by side with Masala Mama, this one was slightly better IMO, both very good though.

Beer is orange and hazy and forms a thin broken head or white bubbles (small). Carbonation moderate and steady. Looks good.

Aroma is bitter with some piny hops and a hint of mango. Smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and a little sweet. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. If you can oxygenate the beer some the mango flavor comes out a lot, very prominent. Otherwise, there is a strong mango flavor in the back palate that competes with the strong bitterness. There is an earthiness to the whole thing that is also very interesting, piny simcoe like hop presence. Very drinkable, very good.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

On-cask at the brewpub. Ordered a 12 oz. glass before dinner and it was a tasty little appetizer.

The nose is packed full of fresh-cut mango. Damn, this is way better than any sugar-y mango juice or drink I've had. It almost tastes and smells like it's still a tad ripe, but its still quite tasty. I was hoping for a little more hops character, but as the beer really warms (it was already served at 52F) grapefruit hops and spice develops. Very tasty, very drinkable, try this beer if you like hops and fruit. This is the best hoppy fruit hybrid I've had.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Many thanks to Dyan for sharing this the other day.

Mango mama is not a particularly attractive beer, pouring a hazy, murky, light amber brown color with at best fair head retention and minimal lacing. The beer doesn't look like much, but then I took my first sniff. My oh my, mango mama is right on the mark for describing this beer. I get a huge aroma of mango, orange citrus, peach, apricot and yet more mango. I can imagine it would be a bummer of the first order if someone who doesn't like mangos ordered this beer, but as I do... suffice it to say, I thought this beer smelled pretty incredible. On the palate.... hmmmm... well, to no great surprise there is plenty of sweet mango flavor, but then the orange citrus, grapefruit rind and hoppy bitterness come on strong. I guess the beer is "as advertised," but I'm not convinced that the mango flavor works all that well with the normal, masala mama flavor profile. It's still pretty tasty, but for my money, I prefer the regular version to the mango version. On the other hand, I do apprecaite how the hoppy bitterness counters and otherwise keeps in check the sweet tropical fruit flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, hoppy, fairly dry finish. Drinkability isn't bad, with the alcohol barely noticeable.

An interesting effort, and certainly not a bad beer, but for me, I believe I'll stick to the regular IPA version of this beer.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

11/6/2010

Growler opened at Stone at the Firestone Walker 14 release party during San Diego Beer Week.

A: Pours ruddy, hazy, dirty dark orange with a fizzy, bubbly, tiny head. Not the most attractive beer.

S: Well, it smells like mangos, and mangos smell great. I have the word mangos written here 5 times, so I figured I'd get that part out of the way. There's a little orange, and maybe some grapefruit, but it really just smells like hoppy mango juice.

T: It tastes of moderately bitter mangos with a dash of sweet malt. Again, I get some orange, but there's so much mango I can't be sure. Pretty delicious.

M: Medium bodied, with the fruit giving this a fleshy, almost pulpy mouthfeel. Carbonation is low.

Overall: This was a delicious mango IPA. A perfect session, beer, probably the sort that they drank back in England in pubs while traveling to India on sea galleys (this is how it happened).

2.03/5  rDev -52.6%

A: After the growler shared by Lordkrystic so graciously exploded and shot beer all over my kitchen(which I am still cleaning up) it gushed, gushed some more leaving a cloudy deep orangish beer with a big rocky white head

S: Underneath the plethora of medicine and plastic was some fresh mango

T: Initial sip was, as expected, over the top phenols. Initial taste of a funky piece of medicinal soaked plastic. I put it down, walked away, then tried it again. No go.

M: Overcarbonated, light-medium body, the plastic and medicine killed it.

O: Considering the other reviews were stellar I d't think this is a problem with MTH. I have had several growlers from them before with no issues. I would like to give this another shot but unsure when I will have the chance

3.85/5  rDev -10%

scoobydank sent me a growler of this. Thanks, Bill!

This just might be the ugliest beer I've seen this year. Ugly, murky, hazy, swamp-water orange with a dense, off-white head that recedes quickly, leaving no lace, this is rather poor. As for the nose - mangoes, you say? Plenty of that, with very ripe mango character present, along with a little citrus and grapefruit zest. A little spicy too, this almost smells like a holiday candle.

The palate opens moderately bitter with a big, BIG mango flavor, mildly spicy and quite citrus-like with orange and grapefruit. Bitterness is moderate to high and the finish is fruity with mango and some astringency. The mid-palate is super-fruity with the mango really coming through. Malt sweetness is light, with the caramel washed out by the mango. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, the finish is bitter and bruising. I enjoyed about a pint and a half, but this isn't the most drinkable beer out there. Thanks again, Bill!

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at the brewpub, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Pours a very cloudy dark orange, looks like tangerine juice, very thick light tan head forms, settles to a solid ring, lace spirals down the glass. Smell is wacky, caramel and floral, very fruity, tons of mango and orange, kind of smells like weed, the mango character is interesting, almost like mango skins or something, really interesting. Taste is similar, very intense, mango skins again, fruit, weed, apricots, orange, caramel, citrusy hops, some pine, very floral, pretty big bitterness in the finish, moreso than regular Masala. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, its great but I don't think I could drink too much of it because of the intense mango character. Pretty damn cool experiment, this stuff is badass.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one murky looking brew. Looks like homebrew, and that's a good thing. With a hard pour, I erect a nice frothy ivory white head. It doesn't stick around for long. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is fresh and citrusy. Mango juice and citric hop overtones blend to perfection. Awesome aroma. Flavor is mango dominated and it's the perfect complement to the otherwise outstaning fruity and citrusy Masala Mama. Hops blend in some other fruit notes as well, like apricot,tangerine and nectarine. Base malt is caramel and toffee, but it's in the distance. This is one boldly flavored IPA. Well done.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%

64oz growler provided by Sean...Tough to open and as it does a huge hiss, a slight gusher. Pours with tons of head, a light tope head with a hint of orange to it, watery and falls quickly. The beer is a dark dirty orange, tons of bits of fruit float throughout the glass....The aroma is really nice, great notes of mango not at all overwhelming or too sweet, light pine resin on the back balances out...The taste is a huge let down, most the sweetness is gone, light mango but a lot of medicinal/metallic/pine flavors are not great.

Pretty easy to drink but I'm just not that impressed. I've got a feeling this batch is just not that good.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%

Growler shared by JP - much obliged!

Pours an almost opaque copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts overrun by large amounts of tropical fruit hops - and of course mango. The mango is superbly crisp and enhances the tropical fruit and hints of herbal hops. If it were possible I might give this a 5.5 for the category, really amazing.

Tastes very good but not as intense or complex as the nose. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are overtaken almost immediately by large amounts of tropical fruit and herbal hop flavors. Mango flavors join in shortly thereafter but don't pop as much as they did in the nose. Midway through the sip the herbal hop flavors take over a bit, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I remember enjoying Masala Mama a lot but this treatment blows it out of the water. One of the more distinct beers I've ever had and it is amazing how the mango integrated with an already great beer. Seek this one out and give it a shot.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

First, let me say that I avoided this beer for quite a while since I DON'T LIKE MANGOS. I couldn't fathom why Town Hall would ruin a simply superb beer like Masala Mama by polluting it with something like that.

Man, was I wrong.

This beer is the sly, sweet, & subdued little cousin of Masala, & it's better. Same IPA color, but the smell is a mix of hops & mango.

Mango Mama is pure bliss on the tongue. Town Hall has managed to hit the sweet spot on the teeter totter, infusing just enough Mango to allow the hops to work with it, but not give either ingredient the upper hand. The result is an IPA that's a bit sweet, a bit fruity, & perfectly balanced. Fantastic.

I could, & have, had multiple glasses in one sitting. Another positive, this isn't sickly sweet like your average "fruit" beer.

Excellent beer & an improvement on one of the best IPAs out there.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Reviewed from notes: Huge thank goes out to Ty for sending this one my way.

appearance: copper orange with 1 finger off white head

smell: mango, citrus, hops, caramel, malts

taste: mango, citrus, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a very nice IPA with lots of mango character. So glad I had the chance to try this one.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.11/5  rDev -27.3%

On draught at the brewery, Mango Mama is turbid, dull orange with small, big bubbled skim that quickly dissipates, leaving a flat, thick looking beer that is most unappealing.

Smell is really sweet and sugary - this smells like mango juice, not beer. If I dig, the hops are definately there, but I doubt I would have picked up on them in a blind sniff test.

Taste is weird - every sip, my first reaction is "oh no, that's bad"...but then the finish isn't so bad, and I'm left confused! Something about the cigar box quality of the hop spice with the fruit isn't really working for me, but individual parts are fine. Not as hoppy as the regular Masala Mama I had right before, it's still got some resiny spice, and then the fruit taste literally like fruit juice - did they just dump mango juice into the secondary? Something about this reminds me of drinking incense, and I'm much too old to be lighting bong hits with a stick of nag champa...

Mouthfeel is very dry, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability isn't too high. While I warmed up to it, I never really got into it, and would definitely not get it again. While the base IPA is not the best in the world, it's solid, and much better then this radler style version....

Mango Mama from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery