Russian Roulette | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

townhallbrewery.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by rye726 on 10-25-2008

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a Town Hall Chalice glass.

Appearance: Color is a near pitch black. Moderate amount of bubbles and about two fingers of tan head that slowly recede into a thinner creamy layer. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing.

Smell: A very roasty and sweet dark malt forward aroma with big hints of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Dark roasted barley malt with a huge scent of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee beans, vanilla, and cream along with some hints of burnt toast, biscuit, caramel, and yeast. Subtle hints of dark fruit with some cherry, raisin, and plum. Sweet scent of molasses. Also some slight hints of oak. Hops are pretty faint. A very good smell.

Taste: Like it smells, a nicely rich and roasty dark malt driven taste with a big presence of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Upfront dark roasted barley malt with a big taste of chocolate that literally tastes like a liquid dark chocolate bar. Also some good notes of coffee beans, vanilla, cream, toast, caramel, oak, and yeast. Sweet taste of burnt molasses. Undertones of dark fruit with notes of raisin, cherry, and plum. Hops are pretty light. A really good robust taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Rich, creamy, and fairly syrupy. Sweet but not quite cloying. Alcohol is masked pretty well.

Overall: A really great take on a Russian Imperial Stout. Great taste of chocolate and other roasty notes. Big and sweet but still smooth enough to get down.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

3.28/5  rDev -25.6%

I know this beer gets a lot of love around here, but it doesnt do it for me.

It looks like a RIS should. Nice and black, not much head.

It smells good, the usual dark fruits, coffee, roast malt, booze.

The taste however was far too sweet for my liking. The overall flavor is good, but I couldnt take the sweetness and thick body as a result of that residual sugar. I like imperial stouts in general, but this didnt do it for me.

Mouth feel was thick, not in a good way. I like thick beers (KBS, BCBS, BA9k ect), but this was too much for me. I think it is because the sugar seems to create the thickness in this beer as opposed to a ton of malt like some others.

Overall I actually hate to say I didnt really like this. I know a ton of people love it and Town Hall nails their beers consistently, but this one isnt for me. That said, I suggest you try it, because I am in the minority with this opinion, and odds would say that you'll love it!

Russian Roulette from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery