Three Hour Tour | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Liked:
4.42/5
Alströms:

4.39/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. Thanks to d0b for sharing.

Black with a glint of ruby in the meniscus. Across the surface there was a smooth swath of creamy tan foam. Spotty lace remnants around the edges.

Very rich toasted coconut aroma. Unlike anything i've inhaled in a beer before. Not overly sweet, just full on authentic toasty coconut.

Distinct coconut meat/milk flavor, lightly toasty, backed by some chocolate milk sweetness. Ultra smooth with the consistency of chocolate milk also. More than a pint would be overindulgence, but one is just right. Well put together, and far more than just a novelty. This was exceptional, despite my hatred for grated coconut in foods (a texture-based hate).

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sending this my way.

Black and completely impenetrable by light. A hard pour leaves me with a small brown crust on top of the ebony body.

Tons of chocolate and coconut on the nose, this smells exactly like a Mounds bar. There's not much else to say, but it's wonderful.

The palate shows a touch more complexity, though it's still dominated by sweet coconut and milk chocolate. The finish brings flavors of licorice and roasted malt that help balance the initial blast of sweetness, but it's decidedly a dessert beer. That said, it never became cloying, even after several pours.

4.64/5  rDev +5%

Poured into Founders snifter.

Pours a caramel brown, but settles black. Pours a small layer of head that fades down.

Aroma: Mounds bar awesomeness. Chocolate, coconuts, pecans, and creamy flavors. It is sweet and creamy. One of the best milk/sweet stouts I have smelled. Simply amazing.

Taste: Again, it is like a liquid mounds bar. Wow, this is amazing. Milky and creamy with chocolate, coconuts, and other nut flavors. A hint of roasted malts. Very sweet and creamy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with a touch of roastedness. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little roasted.

Overall, this is one of the most drinkable stouts I have ever had. I am having a hard time putting my glass down. It is incredibly drinkable. One of my new favorites from TH.

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to beckel for sending this growler out my way. Served in a snifter.

Pours nearly-black with a single-finger mocha head that settles down into a nice collar. A touch of lacing on the sides of my glass. The nose brings forward a lot of barrel character and chocolate as well as some chocolate and vanilla. Roasted malt and a bit of sweetness there as well. There is a moderate toasted coconut character in the background, though I couldn't have picked it out without knowing that it was there.

The chocolate and bourbon characteristics come out really well in the flavor. Ultra smooth and tasty. Good notes of vanilla and a bit of roast as well as some light cherry and toasted coconut. Really enjoying this. Very nice feel between the bourbon and a bit of booze. Perfect carbonation level. A really nice brew that grew on me as it warmed up and as I went through a few small glasses. Well done, TH.

3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a growler into a tasting glass. It poured black in color with a thin tan head scattered across the top of the beer. It had some nice sticky lacing to it as I drank it as well.

The aroma really shows off some nice toasted, sweet, coconut flavors to it. It's definitely more apparent then I anticipated, but I really like it. I get a sweeter chocolate and vanilla presence to it as well, which really blends with the coconut flavors nicely. It was sweet, but also so smooth and flavorful. Great aroma overall.

The coconut is also immediately noticeable in the taste. I get a lot of toasted coconut mixing with some really nice vanilla flavors. Some chocolate notes come out in the finish along with just a bit of caramel. The coconut is bold in it, but it came together extremely well. It was so flavorful and smooth. I don't even like coconut that well but the flavors in this really wowed me.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy with carbonation being low. Great mouthfeel for the style and flavors.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic beer. After being somewhat disappointed with Mango Mama and Czar Jack I was hesitant to trade for any more of their special beers. This one however really wowed me and I loved that it was so unique and unlike anything I've ever had before. The coconut was so good in it and complimented the sweet stout flavors perfectly for the style. I'd definitely say that this is a new favorite of the style for me. Not being a big coconut fan I was completely surprised at how much I liked this one.

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

Enormous thanks for getting a growler of this one into my hands. I brought it over the families house for TDay dinner, Served chilled and poured into pint glasses, this one was consumed on 11/27/2009.

The pour was fantastic, rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that nearly over topped the sides of the glass, settled down gradually leaving behind lots of sticky lace on the sides. Aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and hints of coconut. Rich and loaded with malty goodness, the warmer it got the sweeter it smelled, but it was when you took that first sip that you fell flat on your ass. Huge flavor here, almost unbeliveable at times, rich chocolate and coconut collide with an almost dark licorice like bite to it and a hint of a coffee like bitterness. It was sublime. Rich and creamy with the coconut sitting back on the tongue just perfectly. I swear this had to be one of the richest beers I have ever come across in my life. Last sips had some light touches of bitterness in them, but roasted coconut rules the day.

Overall this was just simply one of the best beers I have ever had, no question in my mind. I would drink this everyday if I could, it was just perfect.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stormking47 for sharing this growler at international stout day enjoyed from a pint glass.

The color is opaque black with medium tan cap with densely packed beads, the lace clings very well, and the overall appearance is thick. The smell is like a candy bar made with coconut, the light fruity and nutty tropical scent is very fresh and resembles coconut straight from being toasted in the oven with some nice vanilla accents. The feel is rich, very viscous and slightly sweet with a semi-dry finish and low alcohol in general with moderate carbonation and low roast.

The taste is everything you expect after smelling the coconut after a quick swirl of the glass. There is a nice nutty element and toasty tinges which give a sweet vanilla backing to the coconuts almost floral flavor, very clean and has a moderate level of sweetness to achieve a nice balance. This is more about the coconut than the base stout which is a little lost in all the coconut flavor, but I enjoyed the way it came together and this is definitely a great beer, worth trying if you enjoy coconut.

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

From 12/12/10 notes. Poured from a growler into a tulip. Thanks to thorpe429 for sharing this; thanks Mike.

a - Pours a black color with almsot no head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, coconuts, and sweet fruits.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, light cococut, fruit, and vanilla.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, pretty smooth.

d - Very easy to drink and a nice milk stout. Not as much coconut as I expected but I liked it. Glad I got to try it and would like to try again sometime.

3.72/5  rDev -15.8%

64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with a little transparency at the edges. Small khaki head. Thick collar.

Smell - Lots of coconut. Slight acidic aroma. Chocolate.

Taste - Coconut is less strong but still potent. Coffee roasted malt. Sweet caramel. Chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Light for a stout. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Good, but I'm clearly missing the hype.

4.27/5  rDev -3.4%

Big thanks to stormking47 for bringing this growler to our Stout Day event.

A - Pours jet black with a two finger tall mocha colored head leaving small spots of lace down the entire glass.

S - Smells of rich coconut, vanilla, chocolate, and caramel. It has a lot going on, but in a good way. This one really does smell like a candy bar.

T - Starts off with a big dose of sweet coconut quickly giving way to a mix of chocolate, vanilla, caramel cream, and almonds. The sweetness is lactic but it never really gets to the point of being overpowering. The finish is pretty sweet, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, creamy, feel with lots of sweetness. The feel really helps to bring this one together.

O - Awesome beer. The sweet milk stout body works well with the coconut and dark roast to form an awesome beer. This is easily the best coconut beer I have ever had.

4.27/5  rDev -3.4%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown, with a small beige head that hangs out for a while before leaving a nice sheet of lacing on the glass.

S: Toffee, butter, coconuts, roasted malt, chocolate.

T: The beer is incredibly tasty and has greatly exceeded my expectations. I find it hard to believe that I am enjoying a beer brewed with coconuts to this degree. Coconuts and chocolate melded with roasted malt and buttery toffee candies make this a delicious beer. It's the perfect marriage of beer and a gourmet candy bar. The balance and harmony achieved with all of these bold flavors make this a special beer. Wow.

M: Not as sweet as I would have expected, but a bit on the sweet end of the spectrum, nonetheless.

D: Terrific stuff, but probably best enjoyed in small quantities.

Three Hour Tour from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery