Masala Mama India Pale Ale | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 01-01-2003

Ratings: 1,369 |  Reviews: 679

3.51/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber orange with a decent foamy head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Somewhat sweet and citrusy with some hints of pine.

Taste: Great big hop flavor with the ever-present grapefruit flavor at the end that fades out into a somewhat nutty, hoppy bitter aftertaste. Also has hints of that dreaded cooked vegetable taste at the end, which I have never noticed on tap, only from the growler.

Mouthfeel: Surpringling light for a beer with such big, dense flavor. The aftertaste is somewhat bitter and leaves the mouth somewhat dry.

Drinkability: I could definitely enjoy multiple pints of this brew. Goes down easy and doesn't destroy your tastebuds. It's that weird taste at the end that brings the rating down a bit.

I had the rare opportunity to enjoy this beer twice today: once on tap and then from the growler a few hours later. I went out to Town Hall after work, and came home to find out that my roommates had picked up a growler earlier in the day. The beer from the growler wasn't as full-flavored and it had that cooked vegetable taste at the end that kinda ruined the experience for me. Had I been taking notes at Town Hall tonight, this brew would have garnered higher ratings.

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks goes to a trader from Minneapolis, Minnesota for this growler full of beer. had this earlier this month. poured a nice golen orange amber just like it should with a light tan head. aroma wow the hops jump right out there when the cap was twisted off like walking thru a pine forest, than got citrus leaning to the orange and. flavor, I am glad I didn’t rate this on my 1st glass I thought that I might have gotten a bad batch this was so dry that I had to have a glass of water with it, so down in the ref. it went came back a couple of days later and I could tell it was starting to mellow so after drinking this for a little over a week a good portion of the dryness went away and it became a very enjoyable beer to drink, the flavors were hops, orange and some grapefruit

3.54/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%

Re-review based on a growler shipped by Buebie -- expedited at my request. Thanks, Brian.

A: Pours a rich amber with an inch of fluffy off-white head. It recedes into a film on the brew, but never goes away, and it leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S: The glass smells great. Pine hops dominate, with citrus, some floral notes, and a caramel and bready malt underneath. Very aromatic.

T: Follows the nose very well. Lots of citrus in the form of grapefruit pith and lots of sticky pine resin. Maybe a hint of floral hops, but that could just be the citrus carrying over. This isn't a hop bomb, though; there is substantial bread in the flavor, with a caramelly finish before pulling into a citrusy aftertaste. It's balanced, but it borders on an APA in my eyes. It's closer to middle-of-the-pack to me than top-of-the-line.

M: Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation that supports the style well. I'd like it a touch drier, though.

D: The second growler was much improved over the first one. I enjoyed it immensely, and can see why it's world-class in most people's eyes. I agree that it's fantastic, but I have a number of IPAs I would rank ahead of this one.

3.57/5  rDev -17.9%

Growler shared by ??? at Darkness Day... Thanks random guy!
Reviewed from short voice notes dictated into iphone.

Dark amber body... Weak head, decent lacing.
Sweet malts up front dry out to leave a bitter and surprisngly dry finish (surprisingly because this smells so sweet, looks so dark, and initially hit with a big burst of sweet malt!). I REALLY like the way this beer finishes, but it just isn't enough to save it for me.

Nice body-- good carbonation level touch of prickliness that I love...

Overall-- this is a pretty well-balanced IPA, but it lingers on the sweet/malty side for my liking. I respect what they've done with it-- and I could see this being a nice "daily drinker" for people that stop into the brewpub nightly, but it isn't one that I deem worthy of going crazy over.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

Growler courtesy of Faro, I've been itching to try this beer for a while, and I was a little disappointed. The beer pours a darker amber orange that I usually associate with imperial IPAs. There is a thick bone white frothy head that fades to a tight ring, leaving behind small traces of oily lacing.

The smell is a nice blast of citrus, lemons, oranges, orange peels and pineapple. There is also a small amount of pine resin and a nice background of caramel malt. The malt doesn't over power the hops, but it accentuates it nicely.

The flavors follow the smells exactly. The citrus notes (oranges, lemon zest, pineapple) hit the tongue first, followed by pine resin and a noticeable amount of caramel malt before the bitter hops come back and really kick it up a notch

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is spot on for the style. There is a nice dry finish from the hop bitterness, that really takes over at the end of the flavors. I think this one is a bit too heavy on the malt character, and there's just not enough hops for me. Glad I got to try it though.

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%

64oz growler poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Growler provided by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe!

A - This beer pours a lot darker than expected for an IPA, almost gleaning into amber territory but still has that orange starburst. Dark orange, deep red, like a late sunrise. One finger at most of head, a little disappointing, but has some decent retention. Lacing on the other hand, is great, boasting large strokes of foam covering a ton of the glass.

S - The smell is a bit modest, slightly piney, slightly citrusy, but lots of floral aroma here from the hops. Fresh smelling. However there's also a very strong malt backbone in play here as well. Honestly, it's a bit too strong as I feel it detracts from the hops a bit too much and overall it's not incredibly hoppy smelling at all besides the floral rush at the beginning.

T - After taking my first sip, I was taken aback. This isn't very hoppy at all, much to my surprise. The front end is almost all malt and sweetness, before a slight transition into the grapefruit, orange, and bitter end. The malts just overtake the first half of this beer and I'm getting lots of caramel and toffee, and they only begrudgingly recede to let a bit of hops through near the end.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. I don't know how, with Town Hall's counter-pressure filled growlers, but this seems a bit flat. Creamy, yet disappointing.

D - Drinkability is moderate. While a nicely balanced IPA, if I was looking for hops I'd search elsewhere, this beer has too much malt backbone in my opinion.

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%

This is a growler, bottled yesterday and brought to me (a big thanks) by some Marshfield friends, including stoutsnipas. I am going to try and be fair and balanced, but keep in mind I am not a big fan of heavily hopped brews.

This is a very nice looking brew, amber with a frothy white head and a thick lacing, and still lots of carbonation. Darker than the average IPA, and certainly better looking.
A very nice, fresh, hoppy and fruity aroma is powerful and evident as you pour it, this one does not require your nose "inside" the glass.
Taste is good, better than most IPAs out there, very hoppy as expected, with some alcohol and a malty hint somewhere in there.
Medium bodied, but not exactly a highly drinkable beer, in my opinion given the relatively weak malt backbone that leaves an unbalanced hoppiness that although has a pleasant taste, has an aftertaste that is too hoppy and can get quite annoying.
A good brew, just not my style, perhaps lacking a bit more malts to balance it out.

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Golden brown pour with a small, but relatively stubborn, head with decent lacing.

S: Hoppy smell, but it comes with a nice malt backbone. Smells very sweet, with hints of caramel almost.

T: Piney hops open the beer with a bang, nice and bitter up front. That gives way to a malty finish with a nice hops dryness. Not much citrus, but perhaps some grapefruit.

MF: Not as carbonated as I would have liked, but very smooth. Easy drinking IPA, not a hop bomb in any way.

D: It was alright, very aggressive up front. I wouldn't like much more than a glass or so.

3.62/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler shared by a generous BA at our tasting this weekend.

Cool looking growler; reminds me of the Russian River ones. Floral, piney, slightly citrusy aroma -- full of fresh hops!

Full blast of hops confront my palate, seemingly devoid of malt (as expected from a Single IPA). Despite others' insistence that this beer was rather malty, I didn't detect any.

Although Single IPAs are not my thing, I can appreciate a job well done. If you like this style, you'll love Masala Mama.

3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

The appearance was a nice amber with the proper head and plenty of lace. Pleasant aroma and good initial taste balance. To me, the taste of the finishing hops was a bit too aggressive. I noticed a hint of grapefruit in the finish. The beer was good but doesn't quite have the drinkability of some tamer American IPAs like Dogfishhead 60 min.

3.64/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Masala Mama- IPA

On tap at Town Hall Brewery- Minnepolis.

Appearance- dark copper/ hazelnut brown with a thick tan head. Laced down the glass.
Smell- Malt, light pine hops, and fruit.
Taste- immediate malt balanced with fruit, peach/ orange. followed by a light piney/ earthy hop.
Mouthfeel- big chewy flavor. Easy to drink.

Overall- Not as hoppy or bitter/ dry as I like my IPA's but a solid 1. If spotted I'll pick up a 6er.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a growler into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium amber color with over one finger of off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Distinctly piney, with stand-out crystal malt lining up alongside. Otherwise, the smell is very clean.

T: Begins almost dry, with evident crystal malt and savory herbaceous hops. Malt persists into the middle where some late acidity becomes apparent. Bitterness is fairly pronounced in the finish, still retaining residual malt qualities from earlier in the profile.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and balanced on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: Shockingly familiar, this IPA seems to share the same malt bill of a friend's home-brew. As a name-recognition American IPA it is over-rated. On a positive note, it's assertive malt qualities position it most favorably among those other IPAs thought of as East-Coast style.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

I've held off on reviewing this for quite some time, as it's kind of my go-to trade bait. That being said, after picking up a growler for hockey tonight, I figured it's time.

And at this time, I still don't get it. It's a good IPA, but I'm not quite sure it's worth all the A's it gets. It has all the standard traits you look for in superior IPA's - nice citrus fruits and hop oil on the nose, a ton of grapefruit and grassy-ness for the taste, and a decent enough kick of hops on the front, middle, and finish.

But what the hell is with the after-taste? It's been the one thing that's always bugged me about Masala Mama, as I can't recall an IPA that lingers like this one does, and it's not in a good way. It reminds me of dated DFH 90 Minute IPA - it's just weird. I just can't get away from it, and it really confuses me.

Overall, like I said, it's a good IPA, but not worthy of all the adoration - which is a tough thing to write, as of all the Town Hall beers in my backyard, this is probably my least favorite.

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery