Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Masala Mama India Pale Ale | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Added by Jason on 01-01-2003

#479

Ratings: 1,375 |  Reviews: 680

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Huge thanks to BigDank for sending me this growler. Shared with my girlfriend's dad before Christmas dinner.

A: Poured from the growler to the glass to reveal a perfectly copper colored beer with a fluffy off-white head.

S: Lots of great grapefruit and pine aromas fill the nose. There is also a hint of sweet tropical fruit, such as pineapple and mango, on the finish.

T: The same great fruits that were present in the aroma are picked up on the tongue as well, but perhaps not quite as intense. There is also a nice bitterness on the finish.

M: Despite the long trip in the growler, this beer was still very well carbonated. A nice medium body on this beer.

D: This is definitely one of the more hoppy and aromatic IPAs that I've had from outside California. A very easy drinking, one, however. And at 5.9% ABV, it's not too tough to have a few glasses of.

The Marsala Mama IPA was quite good. the Appearance was a nice copper color and clear. The beer had a nice white thick head that laced great. The smell was a combination of hop (four hops used - amarillo, cascade, centinnial, and semcoe (I think I have it right) and malt. the malt is used to balance the flavor and bitterness of the hops. The taste was very good, but not as nice as the West Bank. The combo of hops gave pine and citrus notes with some bitterness that was balanced by malt. The mouthfeel was good, but 1-3 per sitting would be sufficient.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Matt is turning out to be the growler king. He brought this over to my place a few weeks ago. Review from notes.

A: The beer appears amber/orange, has a decent sized head, and leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass. It is pretty clear with good effervescence. It looks like it survived the trip.

S: The smell is really fantastic. Fresh hops and citrus.

T: This is a great tasting beer, and really easy to drink. The citrus flavors come forth quite nicely, with a pleasant bitterness in the back of each sip. Yum!

M: The feel is very smooth. A great bitter finish with no astringency.

D: O ya, I could drink a bunch of this. Well worth seeking out. This is one of my favorite IPAs now.

Served in a glass mug.

Big thanks to hannydawg and VDubb86 for hooking me up with some o' this growlered goodness!

Didn't think I'd ever get around to trying this...much props to my unexpected hookups! It pours a hazy sunset amber topped by a light sprig of dirty white foam. (I will note here that I was late to the growler, so the carbonation was decidedly diminished for me. I have adjusted the grading accordingly.) The nose comprises ruby red grapefruit, mandarin orange, lime, caramel, and a slight intimation of onion. The taste holds notes of pine, orange peel, greens, light cedar, and some very light caramel resting in the back. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a pretty dry finish. Overall, a very nice IPA. I'm not sure I can rave about it as much as others have, but it is pretty damn good.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Growler received in trade from phisigben, thanks for the opportunity. Shared after a long day with HopasaurusRex. Pours a deep golden color with a decent bubbly white head that displays moderate retention and lace. Smells fantastic. Floral, pine, citrus and tropical fruity hops with hints of sweet bready malt deep underneath. Taste is resinous, fruity, pine, and citrus hops with a bit of sweet bready almost caramel malt. Fairly dry with a medium to light body. Moderate level of carbonation with a resinous mouthfeel. Nice flavorful hopification of a beer. If I lived in MN I would drink this all the time, but since I don't I'm glad I got to try it.

4.97/5  rDev +15%

First let me thank garymuchow for getting this fine brew to my doorstep served from the Town Hall 1/2 gallon brown growler with a plastic heat sealed layer for protection. Appearance: Pours a deep caramel amber crystal clear hue with an amazing tannish head forms thick leaving heavy intricate patches of lacing, very nice. Aroma: Copiously hopped lines my nostrils with aromatic grapefruit and pine cone scented hops, all topped off with a fortified caramel nut edge completely amazing. Taste: Flavor consists of a lucious juicy hop profile with a malty backbone to balance her out. Talk about hops, man the nut edge evens out a perfect amount of sweetness from the malts but the waves of grapefruit and pine swarm the palate with a rush of bitterness making the finish completely fantastic leaving me, the drinker with hop burps. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied resinously textured what a lucious body even perfect carbonation can't ask for much more, I'm satisfied. Drinkability: Wonderfully flavored with massive hops and a unique malt character holds a spot as the best American IPA I have ever tasted. The sessionability of this brew is unlike any other waxed off a growler with two fellow BAs (beergeek279 and cupbeerman) and wow I was yearning for another to exist.

4.06/5  rDev -6%

2.5/5  rDev -42.1%

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap at Minneapolis Town Hall into a half pint (9 ounces).

Bronze amber, and quite clear, nearly crystal clear body color presented. Top is a little less displayed but is quite creamy looking with a nice collar that laces while drinking slightly. Solid and nice looking brew.

Real impressive aroma. Soft caramel warmth and almost a taffy/toffee mix smell that comes off. Big amounts of chewy biscuit and graham cracker and an excellent hop flavor that hits of pine, dank, and perhaps some citrus grapefruit.

Palate is a real winner. A real nice creamy feeling palate that almost brings out vanilla tones. Hints of light caramel sticky flavors, toasted hazelnuts, and a real washing digestive cookie biscuit aftertaste. The hops really hit on the aftertaste and swallow. Grapefruit slightly with a hot pine that has real nice aromatics on the swallow that are nearly hot, not on booze either. Excellent continuing caramel and a slightly lighter than expected body while drinking as well.

This beer really reminds me of what Fat Tire could be if it was amped up properly and done even better as both have very similar character but with one glaring miles ahead in make and taste. It's striking, and stupidly well done. Excellent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy reddish amber with a creamy head that descends to a lasting thin layer, leaving a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

The smell is of citrus and pine. A touch of herbal-like spice. Caramel backing it up. Very aromatic.

The taste is citric, piney, resiny. A touch of earthy herb. Sweet caramel backs up the hops, while keeping bitterness in the front.

Full-bodied and very smooth.

Flavorful and very easy-to-drink. It just disappeared, leaving a very nice taste in the mouth. A wonderful IPA with assertive flavors and quite a bit of balance. Nice.

Thanks to WankerWeasel for this treat!

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Neverending thick frothy head on a crystal clear dark red beer. Lacing is awesome and so is everything else. Step lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

S- Piney. Centennial hops? Great smell.

T- Follows nose. More of a piney IPA than a citrus one. Awesome. This is one of the best IPAS I've ever had.

M- A tad on the watery side if only complaint.

D/O- Soooo drinkable. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery is doing some incredible things. If this is the reason you go, make sure to try some of their other brews as well, you won't be disappointed!

Beautiful bronze color, firm white head. Aroma is a bubbling, bristling bouquet of intensely fruity hops, just what I love in an IPA! Great citrus, grapefruit, peach notes, on the palate a huge bite of hops, but mellow thereafter. Tingly and tasty, this should please any hophead. If I was a teaching assistant at the nearby U of M and I just got away from the maddening throng, this would be my solace. If I was an actor at any of the nearby theaters and I got off the boards before bar close, I'd rush here for my relief. Heck, I'm going to make it my business to have more business in this neighborhood, just to enjoy this beer more often.
Did I mention that I liked it?

10-04-03...the above was written in the infancy of my relationship with this beautiful brew, and our affair has only grown stronger. Sure, at times, I try another style on occasion, you know, variety is the spice of life and all, but it's this Bad Mama Jamma I always come back to on every visit, and I'm visiting more often to taste her sweet juiciness, and nearly every night, at home, through the magic of growlers. Consequently, I've tweaked the numbers a tad to reflect how addictive and seductive this gorgeous gal really is!

Over a year later, 1-09-04, I still don't think I've impressed on you all how magnificent this brew is, and I've touched up my ranks even further, for I can find no flaw at all, everytime I drink it, it's perfection! Everytime it touches my lips, happiness ensues, and an incredible case of hop burps begins!

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery