Masala Mama India Pale Ale | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 01-01-2003

Ratings: 1,372 |  Reviews: 680
4.22/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to akorsak again for a great trade at DLD. Pours a beautiful honey gold with a slight head and moderate lacing. The first smell that leaps out of the growler is grassy hops. Nice sweet malts follow.
Tastes wonderful, hops dominate, grassy, piney, and slightly citrusy. There is enough malt here to back up the massive hops, a very well balanced brew. Sweet caramel, grapefruit, grass, I feel like I just got done mowing the lawn.
Great IPA, well deserving of it's rank on this site.

4.35/5  rDev 0%

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Re-reviewing my second growler gotten via trade.

Poured from a growler into my Sierra Nevada tulip glass.

A: A deep amber orange color with a perfect one finger fluffy slightly off white head. Not a lot of glass lacing, but what was there was very thin.

S: Citrus and pineyl earthy hops with a deep sweet caramel malt smell.

T: Lots of stuff going on here. I got citrus flavors up front with grapefruit and some hints of orange. The hops flavors turn a bit darker with some pine earthly flavors that mix with the caramel and toffee malt flavors through the middle of the beer. Just as you think the malt will finish you out, the hops jump back in to make it a clean but bitter finish. I enjoyed this beer much better the second time around. Still, it is fairly well balanced and a solid, solid beer. This is very much a central style beer much in line with Two Hearted and Centennial.

M: Medium, coating, prickly, resiny with very little alcohol kick.

D: High, I almost finished off a growler one afternoon. Very drinkable.

Overall I enjoyed this beer much more the second time around. Is my palate changing in which I appreciate the more balanced IPAs? Maybe. Maybe I just understand that this beer is still very hoppy and very good based on a second taste. Either way, a top notch IPA that is deserving of it's good reviews. Thanks for the 2 Baers for trading with me and allowing me the chance to have it twice.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a golden slightly brown color with a thick, fluffy, off white head. The head, with a slight orange tint, fades slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer smells quite floral. It has a nice citrusy aroma as well. It is very well balanced. This beer also has a slight piney aroma.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Quite floral, with some citrus flavor mixing in. Some lemon, and a slight grapefruit flavor. Some piney hop flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a floral aftertaste. It is crisy, and quite refreshing.

I think the beer would make an excelent session beer. It tastes great, and it is not high in alcohol. Carbonation levels are good after being poured a week ago.

Overall: Thanks Faro for this fine beer. I am a bit surprised that this beer still tastes so good, and is carbonated as well as it is after being poured a week ago. I knew that Town Hall took extra care with growlers, but this is most impressive. This beer is great.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Please allow me to boost this fantastic beer up the charts of the BA Top 50...

I was lucky enough to be able to visit fellow BA AKSmokedPorter this past weekend and he was gracious enough to save the growler he got from feloniousmonk until I arrived. Two small swingtops made their way back to Virginia and I eagerly tapped these two vessels to personally experience this nectar of the (beer) gods.

This lovely brew poured a truly wonderful baked orange color with just a trace of lacing off-white head. The aromas were what you would sense when standing in a pine forest after a heavy rain...thick and weighty on the nostrils, these pine cones wedge themselves into every nook and cranny of you nasal passges to give you a awesome wake-up call. But who knew that grapefruits grew on pine trees? A fresh and brisk grapefruit spray squirts forth from this glass and catches you in the eyes and nose, coating the pine cones in a dreamy mix of hoppy beauty.

Flavor is over the top. There is a honey sweetness that builds the foundation for what will be a glorious ride across your palate. On top of that are about 40 bushels of sweet, fresh Georgia peaches. An amazing addition to the flavor profile. Cast in with these two is some pine sap and grapefruit juice. Bitterness is there, but in moderate levels, as it is balanced nicely by a doughy malt sweetness. Finish is sweet and dry, with another taste of grapefruit right at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium, no fizz in this one...and coating of the palate is fantastic.

Drinkability? Yes. Very balanced, yet each flavor is distinct and plays a vital role in making this beer what it is. It reminds me so much of an Imperial IPA, yet at 5.9% ABV, this is a beer you could shack up with for the whole night, and the next, and the next...

Note: Make sure you let this bad boy warm up quite a bit before you drink this. It was much better and really brought out the complexities of a stellar beer-drinking experience.

To close, I'd like to quote St. Victor from a Monty Python skit:

"This...is fantastic! Oh....this is terrific!"

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty average IPA, moderate bitterness, sticky sweetness, fairly malt forward.

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Received from a trade with Faro

A: Pours a dark copper with a two-finger bubbly head. Heavy lacing.

S: Great complex hop smell. Smooth and subtle with wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

T: Loaded with hoppy goodness and filled with a conglomeration of the great classic hop flavors. Perfectly balanced and full-flavored with a smooth taste and a light refreshing bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Chewy and sticky.

D: IPA's don't get better than this. Period.

4.48/5  rDev +3%

Poured a clear dark amber with 2 fingers of frothy cream/light tan head, great retention and beautiful lacing. Smells of grapefruit, butterscotch, biscuit, grass, and pine. Tastes of butterscotch, biscuit, toasted grain, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, grass, and pine. Medium in body with medium carbonation, good balance between a sweet malty beginning and an explosion of hops in the back end. An excellent IPA that has loads of hop character but not too much thanks to a nice solid malt backbone. Very easy to drink and one of the best IPAs I've ever had, which explains why I went back for more on my second day in Minneapolis.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to rlcnmeyer for lugging this one back for me. Growlered on 08/17 as per the cap on the jug.

The beer pours a dark cherry mahogany with a massive 3 finger head leaving some crazy sick lacing down the entirety of the Tripel Karmeliet tulip that I poured it into. The aroma is massive grapefruit rind bitterness laced with pineapple sweetness and just a bit of burnt toffee from the malts. I'm surprised that the malts actually come out as much as the do in the aroma. Still its a pretty big hop slap to the olfactory nerve. The flavor is exactly expressed as a flavor as the nose is expressed in the aroma. Crazy. Its really odd to have the flavor be exactly like the aroma. Many times you say that but there are always slight differences but with Masala Mama its spot on. The mouthfeel is light with a crisp carbonation that tap dances on you tongue. This is the second time I have been able to try this beer, and god, I hope it never changes. Its spectacular.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

This growler came courtesy of tytoanderso....many thanks for the opportunity. Pours out a red amber color (pretty dark for an IPA) and a one finger white head that lasts for quite a while. Very sticky and sweet hop resins lift right off the glass in the aroma, along with some honey and tropical fruit such as mango and pineapple. Taste is very interesting in that the hop profile comes through the palate in waves of varying sweetness and bitterness. You really get mostly hops with this beer as far as flavor in concerned, with some caramel sweetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation providing a nice prickly feeling on the tongue, and is well balanced. Drinkability is good with this one in that works as a session beer. Final thoughts are that this beer might not be entirely worthy of the hype. Is it good? Yes, maybe even great, but I am still sort of surprised that this one sits at the top of the class with so many others (Blind Pig, Sculpin) that are far superior in my opinion. Oh well, still an awesome beer that I would go for again and again if available. Cheers

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

A- light orange with a nice white one finger head that sticks around
S-nice and citrusy. It invites me in with the fruity smell.
T- alot like it smells. Very fuity and almost like an orange? Some grapefruit as well
M-medium bodied and smooth with a nice citrus aftertaste.
D- very drinkable. Taste gone in no time.

Ahh, a growler of Masala Mama, sent from miles away from the great BA Feloniousmonk. Thanks Al, you have made a dream come true. I just finished 8 hours of standing in front of a broiler, waiting, knowing that this sweet treat was calling to me from home. What a way to finish a work shift.

It pours a slightly hazy deep red-apricot color into my tulip-style glass with three tall fingers of off-white head. Layers of lace cling for dear life. The smell hits the nose as sweet and fruity, but the hops that follow right behind show that this brew is all business. Somewhere in there, a hint of ethanol arises. A captivating aroma. The taste also starts sweet, with pineapple juice and fresh-cut grapefuit and orange. The finish is where the hops really shine through, cutting rough against my tongue one way, and smooth the other. Ahh juicy piney hops linger forever, not wanting this moment to end, just like me. The body is so thick and smooth, like nothing I've had in another IPA. It just coats the tongue and lips so well. The drinkability is through the roof. For a hop lover, a growler is not enough.

So I wonder if I can find any jobs in Minneapolis? Sure I'm not much for the cold weather, but the Mama could warm me up anytime. This could be it, THE perfect IPA. There are no imperfections, no flaws. It makes all other IPAs and double/imperial IPAs it's bitch. Thanks again Al, it's beautiful stuff. I owe you my first born.

3.97/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a mug

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this growler with myself

This beer appears an amber orange color with a thin vale of head on the surface. The aromatics are slight malt barley notes followed by a well balanced grapefruit hop nose. The flavor of this beer is surprisingly not nearly as bittered as I would have anticipated. This beer would have been better had this been fresh so I am extrapolating my thoughts as if this were a cask beer. I'm really pleased with the overall flavors involved here. I rather enjoy. I'm glad to have had the chance to try this beer, but would still relish the chance to have it again.

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

I tried this last night during the SB. We had a growler and split it 4 ways. It pours and nice amber color. The scent is floral and citrus hops, with a hint of acid from the hops as well! It was a well balanced beer with a touch of honey sweetness to it. IT was good, but I like Furious a touch better. This is a good beer though and it's easy to drink for sure.

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Absolutely sexy beer. I got a little hard. Seriously. I'm in love.

Foamy head off a hard pour yields a brilliantly hoppy aroma full of pine, citrus, and floral notes. Malts are present in the nose too, above the amber clear body and sustaining head. Masala Mama has a watery character at the edges of its look, and that keeps you reminded of "Hey, you can drink me!". And at 5.9% alcohol by volume with lacing all over the glass, that shit is true!

The taste is a hop bomb up front, followed by malts and then water. Unlike other beers that finish too clean, this one finishes with a perfect note of malty sweetness, citrusy hops, and a touch of hops bitter that build in the aftertaste. Coming out of my new Surly pint glass, I'd be furious if someone said it wasn't a great India Pale Ale. And it gets sweeter as it warms up. Who doesn't like something sweet and warm?

Masala Mama IPA is drinkable too. Like water in a desert. And with all the carbonation it has, it still feels strong with its medium body on your palate.

I can't think of too many negatives.

Maybe that I have to fight off my girlfriend because she keeps wanting to drink this, too.

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery