Masala Mama India Pale Ale | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

4.32/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,372 |  Reviews: 680

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a growler. Masala Mama is a hop forward IPA with a deep copper coloring and ample white head. The depth of malt flavor caught me off guard, but was a pleasant alternative to some of the 'malt light' IPAs that are all the rage these days. I'd put this more in the category of a 'West Coast' IPA with a bit of Midwest flare. Solidly executed and rather tasty - seek this one out for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Uncle Jimbo shared his growler that he received from a fellow BA, I am glad that I was able to try this much talked about IPA. The pour was a very cloudy light apricot. The hops were over whelmingly citrusy...a few discussions of what type they may be, but don't think we came up with any answers (hops beginning with "C"). The mouthfeel is very nice, just medium. I found this a very balanced beer, one of the more balanced ones I've had. What I found intriguing was that the malt, while not sweet, was able to support the hops, which while present, were not bitter. It was easy to drink. I am glad that we had a nice fresh sample to drink.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Big thanks to wankerweasel for hooking up this growler of the current #1 IPA on BA.

A- a dark amber, almost brownish orange. Really creamy, rocky head builds up easily, lacing is nice.

S- you can just tell this beer is on the bitter side from the smell. It has that sort of pungency to it. There is a semblance of some citrus character there but its hard to pick out.

T- the first thing that jumps out is the high alpha bitterness in this beer. There is a juiciness to this that's really good, it finishes with just a bitterness that hard to describe... slightly harsh, but that's not so bad in an IPA. The taste profile of this beer reminds me a bit of the BJ's Piranha Pale Ale I get at the West Covina location.

M- The beer is very dry and accented by its bitterness.

D/Overall - This beer is kinda like drinking hop oils on a very light body. I love the taste of hops but overall I think the enjoyability here is limited here because it's hard to get past that bitterness. Bitterness is great most of the time, I love bitterness, but sometimes there is an aspect to it that's kinda strange, and that's what I find here. In the end though I would drink this beer any time given the opportunity.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

A - deep amber, amazing head and lacing. Great looking beer.

S - caramel malt bitter and citrusy hops. Lovely nose

T - Bitter and sweet citrus on the front. Great balance of dry bitter and maltiness. Great beer.

M - very smooth and medium bodied.

D - highly drinkable. Nothing about which to complain.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Received this in a trade with biglobo8971.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a very distinctive amber color. Very dark for an IPA. Head was a hardy 2-3 fingers. After the first few sips, this leaves a copious amount of lacing down every bit of glass it comes in contact with. The nose is rife with hops and citrus. A wonderfully scented brew. The taste just explodes on your tongue. A fruity, hoppy, slightly malty festival of flavors going on. It's not a monster hop bomb, which is refreshing. The mouthfeel is extraordinary. Smooth and creamy, it's unlike any previous IPA I've ever had. I could leave a mouthful of this in my mouth for several seconds just letting it roll around. A truly wonderful experience. I plan on savoring each serving from this growler, then quickly looking forward to the next time I get to enjoy it.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my first cask-condition ale, and I gotta say it was amazing. The server brought it out to me and it had a huge cascading effect. My anticipation just grew watching it cascade. It eventually settled to a hazy orangish/bronze color with a thick, creamy tan head. It left excellent lacing while I sipped it down. The aroma exploded with a huge fruity, citric smell. The flavor was full of fresh fruity/citric hops. It left you with a nice bitterness, but not too overpowering. It was really silky smooth; very easy drinking. I would definitely drink this beer again.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

A honey amber pour with moderate carbonation and the nicest creamy head from a growler of any sort that I've seen. Great retention and layers of lacing down the glass. Smell is very nice. Not the most hoppy beer I've ever put my nose to but it's inviting to say the least. Juicy, citrus hops with a solid malt backbone. Some orange, apricot, grapefruit, and a touch of pine. Some caramel sweetness and a touch of biscuity essence. Also a very fresh green hop presence, somewhat raw and gritty. Taste is superb. It's a pretty well balanced IPA but I love it. Again, great citrusy hops with a countering malt sweetness. They do the tango and they enjoy it, dancing on my tongue to my delight. Funny thing is no matter how balanced this brew is, the hops shine wonderfully, I think this is mainly in thanks to the balancing effect. This is a thirst quenching beer. Not extremely bitter in the mouth. Somewhat creamy with a moderate bitterness and obviously fading carbonation through the growler. One of the more drinkable IPA's I've had, that's for sure. Not excessively bitter, very well balanced, and a tasty treat indeed. I had three pints from this growler and could have had more if I wasn't sharing. Very thankful to have finally tried this brew courtesy of maximum12...it was great!

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Finally, I have the elusive Masala Mama in my hands, thanks to an iFriend who send a 64oz growler to me in Florida. Thanks, Tip Top!

A slight "PSSS" as I unscrew the top of the growler, and the pour revealed a nice, orange/amber beer that had a nice, 1 finger head. Smell was typical IPA as expected - nothing shocking or marvelous - just good ole hops, citrus, floral aroma. And for the record, that's a GOOD thing.

Taste: First sip reminds me (hop wise) of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. But there more to it, as I soon find out. Very smooth beer, with nice citrusy notes and floral hints playing off each other and complimenting the malt nicely. Excellent balance. Nice bitterness that disappears as I swallow. Taste lingers on the tongue for a few minutes, then dsiappears, making me want another sip. This is a very well crafted beer, even after a 4 day trip from Minnesota to the Florida heat, and then 2 days in my fridge. Impressive.

Mouthfeel is about what I expected - about medium, and about perfect for an American IPA. Not too heavy, not too light.

I put this IPA among the best Ive had. As it warms, more fruitiness starts to show, maybe subtle apricot?? Drinkability is top notch, as Im on my 3rd of 4 pints, and Im not getting tired of it one bit - this is a very sessionable brew.

Ive been after this beer for a while now, and it did not disappoint. One of the better IPAs on the market...now only if they would bottle, so it would be easier for IPA fans to aquire. Good stuff!!!

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 64oz. growler acquired from a trade with chixdighops and nbeattie (Thanks!) into my Brooklyn Brewery snifter at the appropriate temperature (03/20/10)

A: Pours darker than expected and looks like a DIPA. Nice dark golden copper with a slight mahogany hue, capped with 2 finger of an off-white head. Great retention and lots of lace left on the inside of the glass.

S: Great nose that is intense with pine and citrus hops. A nice sweet malty backbone as well.

T: Well...this certainly lives up to the hype! The palate is hit with some many intense flavors with pine and citrus hops dominating along with a fairly sweet, but never cloying, caramel/toffee malt. Layer of tropical fruit, orange, mango, lemon, pine, grapefruit, and some citrus zest.

M: Medium to full-bodied with some appropriate carbonation that was lively yet creamy. Perfect in every way.

D: It is shocking that this beer is 5.9% as it is so complex and so full flavored, but I must say that this is extremely easy to drink and it certainly drinks like a 5.9% IPA or even below.

Overall this was a great IPA and my first beer from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery. Lives up to the hype and then some. Thanks again Megan and Nick! Highly Recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

Big thanks to tavernjef for a growler of this rare sighting in my neck of the woods.
Pours a dark copper color with a full finger of bright white head...very foamy, very attractive. Lacing is quite thick and has exceptional cling.
Aroma is nothing overpowering, but very nice...bitter hops in the nose along w/ carmelized malt to balance it out.
The taste is really where this beer shines...tons of fruity hops up front w/ a boat load of malts to back it up. This has to be one of the most well balanced IPA's I have ever tried.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is perfect...even w/ this puppy filled two weeks ago.
I am so glad I got the chance to try this brew...it would be in constant rotation if it was available in my area.
Drinkability is needless to say through the roof...this growler is almost gone and I'm already bummin'.
Highly recommend to all fans of the IPA.

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks goes to a trader from Minneapolis, Minnesota for this growler full of beer. had this earlier this month. poured a nice golen orange amber just like it should with a light tan head. aroma wow the hops jump right out there when the cap was twisted off like walking thru a pine forest, than got citrus leaning to the orange and. flavor, I am glad I didn’t rate this on my 1st glass I thought that I might have gotten a bad batch this was so dry that I had to have a glass of water with it, so down in the ref. it went came back a couple of days later and I could tell it was starting to mellow so after drinking this for a little over a week a good portion of the dryness went away and it became a very enjoyable beer to drink, the flavors were hops, orange and some grapefruit

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Buebie for this growler! Woo hoo!

Pours a dark amber color with orange highlights. Solid inch of off white bubbles cap it off. Lots of nice, sticky lacing clings to the glass.

The aroma is full of hops. Citrus and pine dominate once this one warms a bit. There's a good backbone of sweet smelling malt when the beer is colder.

The flavor is packed with those hops. Not overly bitter, but very flavorful. More pine and earthy hops than citrus here with a slightly sweet and sour finish.

Medium body with light prickly carbonation. Very dry aftertaste has me constantly going for another drink to wet my palate. This growler may not make it through the night! Well done....

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%