Masala Mama India Pale Ale | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by Jason on 01-01-2003

Reviews: 678 | Ratings: 1,359
4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

From the Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery located in the Twin Cities, this growler came to me via BA feloniousmonk. The seal had obviously held up, as the beer came out with a nicely swirling fine carbonation forming a lace bearing eggshell white head, which was thin, but rich. The beer itself was rather clear, with an attractive copper amber color, which was a shade darker than the run of the mill IPA. The aroma was very good at the time of the pour, and got better as the beer warmed up. The smell was that of flowery, spicy, and citric hops, that were strong without being over the top. The sweet honeysuckle smell of the underlying malt base was permitted to shine through faintly as well.

Taste was unabashedly bitter and peppery with no qualms about the hyper hopped nature of the drink. The malts were caramel, and only there to prop up the hop fireworks going on in my mouth. I love when a brewer self assuredly brews a beer to take its rightful place in the world, and this is a mighty example of this. The soft tropical mouthfeel, dry palette, and leafy bitter aftertaste, all go on paint a cohesive and harmonious picture. I no longer thought a single IPA could wow me, but this one does. Utterly spectacular.

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Acquired from bax72 courtesy of Birthday Club 2, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz. growler into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a medium off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very hoppy and very fruity (lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit) with a good background of caramelized malt.

T: The taste is extremely well-balanced with strong flavors of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts. The sweeter flavors fade and the hops flavor exerts its dominance. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, excellent representation of style, this is flat out just an incredibly enjoyable IPA. I think it’s the perfect beer to drink all night long.

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Sampled from a 64oz growler on 3/18 with a best before date of 3/22 fresh from the brewery via the felonious one, too who I am now indebted.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear pure copper color with a huge off-white, bubbly head. Leaves thick webbing of lacing all over the glass. Even after time and near the bottom of the growler there is a thin covering of head.

Smell: Grass, hops, hops, and more hops. Fuggles, maybe Centennial, and more that I know, but can't quite separate. Scents of pine and musk with subtle hints of citrus and cloves. A plethora of American hop varieties make this beer come alive. Pure aromatic bliss.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet malt in the beginning. Then the hops smoothly slide in and glide through pine and hops into bitter finish with light hint of citrus. Fantastic and wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, medium body, little carbonation with a sticky finish.

Drinkability: All day, everyday and long, long, long into the night. Hell I'd have this with a spicy omelet for breakfast, in fact I think tomorrow I will.

½ gallon growler.

Took home a growler from the brewery...after sampling it again on cask (which still deserves a 5, in my book). The hops are more predominant on-tap, both in aroma and flavor...they really jump around on the tongue. Absolutely yummy.

Not quite as smooth as on cask, but still delicious. Unless you're allergic to hops, you must try this brew...and I personally think it's even worth it if you were..it'd be one helluva way to go.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

First let me thank garymuchow for getting this fine brew to my doorstep served from the Town Hall 1/2 gallon brown growler with a plastic heat sealed layer for protection. Appearance: Pours a deep caramel amber crystal clear hue with an amazing tannish head forms thick leaving heavy intricate patches of lacing, very nice. Aroma: Copiously hopped lines my nostrils with aromatic grapefruit and pine cone scented hops, all topped off with a fortified caramel nut edge completely amazing. Taste: Flavor consists of a lucious juicy hop profile with a malty backbone to balance her out. Talk about hops, man the nut edge evens out a perfect amount of sweetness from the malts but the waves of grapefruit and pine swarm the palate with a rush of bitterness making the finish completely fantastic leaving me, the drinker with hop burps. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied resinously textured what a lucious body even perfect carbonation can't ask for much more, I'm satisfied. Drinkability: Wonderfully flavored with massive hops and a unique malt character holds a spot as the best American IPA I have ever tasted. The sessionability of this brew is unlike any other waxed off a growler with two fellow BAs (beergeek279 and cupbeerman) and wow I was yearning for another to exist.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

YUMMM! Got a growler of this from a friend. I looked pretty good in my English Pint glass, little darker than most IPAs I thought. The smell was a real wallop of hops, beautiful, floral-like bouquet. The taste was explosive, hops, then malts, then more hops and malts, followed by hop notes that lasted until my next chug several minutes later. Amazing. The carbonation level was just right, and the overall drinkability was smooth and flavorful. The growler disappeared WAY too fast, and I didn't feel any worse for wear, so highly recommended if you get the opportunity.

Poured from a growler

A—dark amber color with 1 inch head, leaves a wonderful lacing down to the last drop of the 1st pint, beautiful

S—nice floral and hoppy combo; a little spicy and pine aroma as well and some grapefruit tones as well. I can’t wait to taste it!

T—speechless. Simply awesome. Wonderful bitterness with malt and hops bursting through. Citrus grapefruit and with a slight sweetness at the beginning followed with the best bitter finish that I have ever had. I can’t say enough

M—creamy, thick and delightful.

D—The beer is outstanding! Everything I have from MTH has been outstanding. Put this one on your must do list when in the Twin Cities!

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I was in Wisconsin for a friend's wedding and decided to expand my beer horizons. I was able to convince my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law to take a side trip to the town hall brewery just after getting off of the plane.

I was glad I was able to use my powers of persuasion in support of the forces of good.

The Masala was delivered to my table with not much in the way of a head, but the rich color and near-floral hoppiness of the aroma that greeted my senses made up for it.

The hops were mildly bitter and tasty without being overwhelming. This does not taste like the product of Cascade Hops, but I did not get a chance to speak with the brewer to suppor tmy hypothesis.

This one finishes a lot smoother than your typical American IPA.

It is a wonderful example of my favorite style.

I also bought a growler to take with me to the wedding and it held up well for the three days it took me to open it up.

Appearance – This was one of the most beautiful beers that I have ever seen. The color is a perfect, dark hazy, mysterious orange. The head is thick, not fluffy. It looks like you could stand a spoon up in it. It showed great retention and left some terrific lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell – This is a hop-lover’s dream. The profile is very complex. The floral notes are very pleasant and there is a small hint of citrus. But the big bopper here is the thick pine resin. It jumps across the room with sharpness and distinction.

Taste – Oh, yeah. Forget the hype; this is the real deal. The awesome malt base, which I totally missed at the nose, came out wonderfully on the tongue. The toasted malt, rich toffee, and chewy caramel flavors are so smooth they just melt in your mouth.

Not to be outdone, the hops are large and in charge. They mate perfectly with the malty base. The hop profile is very complex and harmonious. This one has it all.

Mouthfeel – Rich, thick, chewy, and much bigger than medium-bodied but not full, this one has a finishing dryness that will please the IPA lover to death.

Drinkability – I don’t think I’ve ever had a smoother, tastier, more enjoyable IPA than this guy right here. Having said that, I actually am exercising the self-discipline needed to save half this growler for a fellow BA. With that kind of willpower I should be bending spoons.

Comments – I can’t thank feloniousmonk enough for sending me this crown jewel of Minnesota.

After a thorough palette cleansing, it is time to crack the growler of this legendary ale.

Poured into my trust Arrogant Bastard glass, I see a lovely dark copper color with a nice sized, off white head. I would say this is one of the darker IPAs I've had the pleasure of sampling.

The aroma of this bad boy is pure heaven in a glass. Piney hops run wild and chasing them is a weak, orange-like citrus. Some nice caramel malt acts as a foundation to bring together all the parts of this wonderful scent. They should make cologne that smells like this.

To be honest, I feared the first sip on the chance that it wouldn't be all I dreamed. Fortunately, it was. The body is somewhere between medium and full but is so smooth and so chewy. The flavor begins with a nice big hoppy bitterness that moves its way into the piney region, just like the aroma. As it progresses a bit of grapefruit flavor comes along and then the caramel malt makes an appearance just to keep everything under control, but never takes away from the performance the hops put on. The end of each swallow leaves a wonderful bitter/citrus aftertaste that lasts until the next sip.

If you can't tell, I love this beer. This is my second all "5" beer, and I would love to score it higher. The generosity of BA and all around gentleman Feloniousmonk made this sampling possible, so Al, thank you again and again. If I lived in Minnesota, I would be hard pressed to buy anything else.

Masala Mama was my first ever IPA and my first craft brew that wasn't Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The first sip blew me away. I never knew what beer could be until that moment, and that one beer kickstarted my love for microbrews. I will always consider this a perfect beer.

I wish there was an easier way in these reviews to differentiate between the cask, tap and growler versions of this IPA because they are practically different beers!

The cask is served warmer and has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel. The cask serving method tends to mellow out the hop edge, but you can still taste Mike Hoops' complicated hop schedule.

The tap is served cooler and most assuredly has a bracing bitterness and CO2 bite. Here you can play guess that hop in the aroma and taste. I'll tell you there are at least 3 ... maybe it was 4, or was it 5 varieties in there?

The growler is similar to the tap version, but I find it to be much less carbonated and the hops can change and mellow out quite a bit depending on how old your growler is.

This goes for nearly all of Town Hall's beers, but the differences in the IPA is the most dramatic. I'm afraid y'all will just have to come on up here and try all three.

Super Secret Tip: The Cask IPA is so popular that is is almost always on these days.

Super Secret Ninja Tip: If you are coming from afar, the Town Hall is a 30 second stumble from the Holiday Inn Metrodome.

My first growler! Opened Thanksgiving Day minutes before 3:00PM. No one want's to share it with me (yesss!!). Received in trade Tuesday of this week. It has been calling my name ever since. Kept in the fridge and warmed for about 15 minutes. Poured into my Gavroche mini-tulip.

A - A beautiful bronze/amber. Quite clear with very little head. What head there is is long lasting with very nice lacing. Many streams of tiny bubbles. The only ding against this one is that I expected a firmer, fluffier head. Maybe the travel time has affected it? [edit] As the beer has warmed over the last 20 minutes, the head is much fuller, fluffier and larger. I think I served myself too cold at the first. 4.5 goes to a 5.

S - My sense of smell is somewhat numbed from the aromas of the holiday meal....Turkey pervades the house. Fruity mango/pineapple, but very subdued. The hop presence is hard to get to, but again the house is an olfactory obstacle course today.

T - Exceptional. Much sweeter at the start than I expected. A strong, creamy malt presence is soon overtaken by the hops. Overtaken so quietly that you hardly notice the transition. Very, very well-crafted. [edit] Again, as the beer has warmed the hops have moved to a much more prevalent position.

M - Again, outstanding. Creamy, soft, with very little of the "in your face" hops attack so many craft IPA's exhibit. I am stunned at the nuances this beer displays.

D - Oh yeah....I will have NO problem whatsoever enjoying every drop of this growler myself today. The relatively low ABV will keep me out of trouble at carving time. The sweetness of this beer makes me wish I were closer to the Twin Cities.

A fine beer. Very deserving of the rave reviews it has received. As referenced above, the complex nature and subtle presentation of the various components makes this one truly exceptional. Thank you very much Al, (feloniousmonk) for your generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers.

I know about the hype from this beer, but it was simply fantastic. It was hazy orange-gold in color, with a white head. Smells of grapefruit, floral, and hops. Big hops and grapefruit flavor, with a nice finish that leaves your lips smacking. Most of the people I was with couldn't handle this, it is only for bona fide hopheads. This is definitely the best beer at Town Hall.

I have enjoyed this brew multiple times, at the brewery/restaurant and out of growlers at home and figured that I'd better submit a report in "thanks" if nothing else. I have not found another that compares. This is it. Fantastic. Can't say enough about it. This is consistently great ale. I am fortunate enough to live close enough to frequent the place or at least pick up a growler. Those of you who aren't, it's time to road trip!

I've had this a few times on cask - I finally took some notes recently. I don't mean to be a homer, but I'm finally ready to declare this beer (on cask) perfect.

A - A toasted copper color with a nice creamy head. It is clear carbonation is minimal, but lots of lacing makes it very attractive.

S - The hops dominate the nose, but remain very mellow. Lots of fruit - orange, marmalade, and just enough bready malt quality.

T&M - Rich balanced hops from start to finish. This beer tastes amazingly fresh without being at all biting. The mouthfeel is absolutely amazing. There is very little carbonation, but it is so creamy and balanced between the resiny hops and dry malt backbone.

D - This is a masterpiece. I really like the regular version, but the cask brings it to an entirely new level.

I tasted this beer several weeks ago on the advice of this forum. I usually go mostly for Amber ales with IPAs as a backup. This IPA is amber in color and tastes much like a hopper Amber ale ... very smooth, just a bit of bite, has a great pour.

I will have this beer again - in fact I did today when I was in the neighborhood.

Ahhh...I have spent so much time with tihs beer but have ne'er reviewed it. That said, this is the perfect American IPA. Hazy orange amber with a cloyingly beautiful head and lacing of the most sublime off-white color I have ever witnessed. Sublimely hypnotic. The smell is a sock-knocker-offer off the best kind. Delicious notes of orange, lemon, grapefruit, Ponderosa pine, earthy malt, caramel, green tea, and cannibis. A taste that eclipses the smell perfectly, a three dimensonal expression of the smell to be witnessed by the palate, beholder of its own beauty. The mouthfeel is such a second act to the magnaninous aroma and palate searing flavor that it almost bears no mentioning, but is perfect in its own right; the cloying candied stickiness of this brew may offput only the pitiful but always pleases the purest of heart. The drinkability depends not on the palatial experience of the drinker, but rather the surroundings, as a pool table surrounded by the best of friends begs for another imperial pint. A+

This is a phenominal beer. Golden orange color, perfect off white head of millions of small bubbles that retained at about a centimeter for the entire beer and provided spectacular lacing. I have had this beer many times from the regular tap, but from the cask the hops are toned back a bit, eventhough their complexity is still there, which helps reveal a bit more of the sweet, fruity pale malt. At the beginning of this beer, it tastes atleast a little balanced in malt and hops, definitely leaning towards the hops anyway. The finish though is pretty much all hops, a very broad specturm of them that is just delicious, slightly oily resinous pine and floral like, a bit stronger towards citrus zest, orange and grapefruit, maybe even a bit of apricot. It just plain make you go mmm. the mouthfeel is great on this beer, especially from the cask, enough cabonation to retain the sizeable head, but it's far from overwhelming. Extremly silky smooth. This beer is so good, it is virtually impossible to get sick of it. They go through a lot of seasonals at Town Hall, so I usually go for those, but I try to have one of these nearly every time I stop in for more than one or two.

Ahh, a growler of Masala Mama, sent from miles away from the great BA Feloniousmonk. Thanks Al, you have made a dream come true. I just finished 8 hours of standing in front of a broiler, waiting, knowing that this sweet treat was calling to me from home. What a way to finish a work shift.

It pours a slightly hazy deep red-apricot color into my tulip-style glass with three tall fingers of off-white head. Layers of lace cling for dear life. The smell hits the nose as sweet and fruity, but the hops that follow right behind show that this brew is all business. Somewhere in there, a hint of ethanol arises. A captivating aroma. The taste also starts sweet, with pineapple juice and fresh-cut grapefuit and orange. The finish is where the hops really shine through, cutting rough against my tongue one way, and smooth the other. Ahh juicy piney hops linger forever, not wanting this moment to end, just like me. The body is so thick and smooth, like nothing I've had in another IPA. It just coats the tongue and lips so well. The drinkability is through the roof. For a hop lover, a growler is not enough.

So I wonder if I can find any jobs in Minneapolis? Sure I'm not much for the cold weather, but the Mama could warm me up anytime. This could be it, THE perfect IPA. There are no imperfections, no flaws. It makes all other IPAs and double/imperial IPAs it's bitch. Thanks again Al, it's beautiful stuff. I owe you my first born.

A Growler from the heavenly twin cities via toronto, ontario. I had made a special request from a friend to acquire this beer and the hype turned out to be truth. This is as good a beer as I have had this side of my pappy's homebrewed IPAs. A perfectly balanced all around beer; no grand slams in any one catergory but hits home runs in all, which pulls up the score for me and moves me to grant my first straight fives in my review history.
-color a beautiful mahogony, honey amber, excellent head and glass lacing. The aroma, what an aroma of pine, clear lake water, floral late summer peppery wildflowers and prairie grass. The taste is wonderfully, clearly, sophisticately hoppy. Clear, crisp, dry, with a wonderful strong subtlety. This may be one of the best balanced beers that I have ever had, certainly the best balanced IPA. I would take the flavor profile of Stone's IPA over this, but am so won over by the balance I think to make for the perfect, happly satisfying mouthfeel. This would be my quintessential session beer. I feel like I am an initiate in the know. All I would wish is if this could be bottled or if I was still living within a day's drive to the twin cities. I guess I will just have to drive fast and often to purchase more of this wonderfully, yummy stuff. Bravo Minnesota and go Twins!

Received from a trade with Faro

A: Pours a dark copper with a two-finger bubbly head. Heavy lacing.

S: Great complex hop smell. Smooth and subtle with wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

T: Loaded with hoppy goodness and filled with a conglomeration of the great classic hop flavors. Perfectly balanced and full-flavored with a smooth taste and a light refreshing bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Chewy and sticky.

D: IPA's don't get better than this. Period.

This beer pours a perfect shade of copper. A medium sized creamy looking egg shell colored head graces the surface. The retention is excellent. Lace patterns are intricate and web like. Eye Candy? Oh yeah. But it gets better.

The aroma is exquisite. The nose blends heavy hop attributes like pine resin, burning leaves, pungency, citric tones and orange rind with an underlying caramel malt sweetness. Makes for one helluva a blend that leaves you breathless.

The flavors subject your senses to more of the same. The caramel malt sweetness and some brown sugar lay down the foundation. The heavily pungent resin attributes are the main course though. I don't think the IBUs are off the charts by any means with this one, but the hop flavors are delicious. Adding to the pungency is a nice grapefruit/orange rind quality. And also some pine sap. The bitterness is nice and appropriate for the style.

The mouthfeel is creamy and the body is about medium-full. I love drinking this IPA. One of my favorites. Thus I give drinkability a 5.

This is top of the line material here. And very consistent to boot. I've had many gallons of this big Mama over the past few years, and have yet to experience a subpar offering (let alone a bad one). This one is tops!!

Huge thanks go out to br3wmeister for hooking me up with a growler.

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Growler opened with a huge POP! Nice to see it held up so well after the trip from Minnesota to South Carolina.

Pours a darker orange version of amber. Amazing giant fluffy head. Excellent retention. Thick rings and big chunks of foam everywhere. Leaves behind gorgeous spiderwebs of lace. Phenomenal looking beer.

I love this aroma. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love big citrus in my IPA's. Well, Masala Mama is giving me bushels of sweet citrus in my nose. It's funny, because I've never considered myself a fan of grapefruit, but I absolutely LOVE grapefruit in my IPA's. Who knew? Maybe I should give the actual grapefruit itself another shot.

Flavor is as delicious as the nose. Nice pine in the finish and aftertaste. In the land of BA, where double/triple IPA's and imperial stouts are king, it's nice to see a beer like this holding it's own near the top. The caramel malt backbone provides superb balance. Some people may think that detracts from an IPA, but not me. There's a time and a place for super bitter hop bombs, and I enjoy them, but there's also a time and a place for a magnificently crafted IPA.

Medium body, nice creamy texture. I can't imagine another beer topping this in drinkability. Hey, Bud Light, take notice. This is how you make a truly drinkable beer.

I almost felt bad for marking so many 5's...well, not bad, but like I wasn't doing it right. After all, we're even told on this page that 5's should be rare (ie cannot improve anymore). Well, after reading the parenthetical statement, I stand by my 5's. I can't imagine this beer improving in any one of those categories without lowering the ratings of another, or moving the beer into another category.

Again, huge thanks go out to br3wmeister. This wasn't part of our trade. I just happened to mention I loved citrusy IPA's, and he said he'd be sending a surprise. And what a surprise it was.

-Beer came in pint glass, with nice fluffy head that clings to the side.
-The goldenrod hue complemented the wonderful aroma of fresh geen hops.
-The first sip hit me like a punch to the nose, however it did not have an overly geen hop taste as the aroma might indicate. The following swallows were not as intense as I progressed through the beer. Generally a very hoppy beer, but not overdone.
-The mouthfeel was not thick, it rolled over the tongue wonderfully and allowed me to take in the full hop aroma.
-The drinkablity is second to none. As I can attest 5 to 7 beers in a sitting is definately possible.
Overall, a wonderful example of an IPA

Masala Mama India Pale Ale from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery