Skull Splitter | Orkney Brewery

orkneybrewery.co.uk

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-08-1998

Ratings: 2,195 |  Reviews: 1,005

First of all, this is like no other wee heavy I've ever had. I was just going to enjoy this ale quietly, musing on its merits without reviewing it, because I thought I knew what I was in for.

There are flavours in this beer I've seldom had before, and never all at once: the brewer who created this combination is truly skilled. There are elements of Kelpie Seaweed Ale, and other herbal ales I've tried, but also understated and richly satisfying christmas pudding, pepper and cinnamon flavours.

I'm not one for English nut-brown ales with these flavours normally, as they are usually too overstated. It's easy to make a brown ale with rich raisin, plum and spice notes, but very hard to have them balanced to such an extent that the overall impact isn't astringent and generally unpleasant in the mouth.

Skull Splitter works. It tastes like a seaside brewery - you can taste the bitter herbs, seaweed, sharp hops, and also the rich, flavoursome characteristics of the malts. I will remember this beer, not only for its awesome name and bottle, but for reminding me that ALL styles of beer can truly be made excellently, even the ones I personally am not so naturally attuned to.

Bravo, Norman Sinclair!

P.S. I'm giving this a straight five, but only because it's the best ale of this style I can possibly imagine. I've never had anything close to this in this style. However, I've had other excellent beers in other styles that have approached and sometimes merited a five. When it comes to the Scottish beer world, this is the leader of the pack.

Skull Splitter from Orkney Brewery