Blueberry Maple Stout | Saugatuck Brewing Company

saugatuckbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BecauseWhalezbro on 10-07-2015

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

I bought this just because of the name. Well, it was not great but not bad. The color is a nice khaki brown but I found that the head dissipated too quickly. For me, the nose was a bit of a letdown. There were some notes of berry and maple but not it was too subtle for me. I love maple but this was a bit too much for me. There are some nice notes of blueberry, maple, with a subtle earthy quality. Feels medium bodied. The mouthfeel was a nice creamy one. This is one that should be paired with desserts or a pancake breakfast.

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Dark syrupy beer smells like blueberry waffles and smells better than taste. It is alright but below ok. I wouldn't seek it out again and glad I only got one. It's more artificial flavored than anything. If I want a good blueberry stout I'll grab a bottle of Lizard of Koz.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle dated 04/11/17

Pours black with a creamy frothy tan khaki colored foam head. Smells like huge blueberry jam, maple syrup, savory herbs, sausage, mild smoke, pancake, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, caramel, toffee, roasted malt, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like blueberry jam, maple syrup, pancake, sausage, herbs, mild smoke, roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, caramel, toffee, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. Overall a nice blueberry maple stout.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I imbibed this beer in a snifter while enjoying a surprisingly chilly summer evening.

It was a disappointing pour. The weak head fizzed away quickly. To me, the nose was forgettable. You do catch whiffs of berry and maple, but what I smelled gave me the suspicion that this stout is to beer as an Oreo is to cookies -- Fun and playful every once in a while, but by no means a bastion of authentic flavor.

Speaking of flavor, my first sip of this beer was almost jarring. Hel-lo, maple! The blueberry takes a backseat to the maple, with a side of ash. The more I drank of this beer, the more I liked it, but the first sips were an adjustment...

...especially because of the mouthfeel. For a beer with an image of syrupy pancakes on the front, one might expect a thicker, more syrupy mouthfeel. Not so. This beer is downright watery on the palate. That, to me, is disappointing. A delicious syrupy thickness (and a nice creamy head) might have turned my whole experience with this beer around.

I liked the sweetness level of this beer. I didn't think it was cloying. I could make it through a whole one without feeling like I was suffocating.

Saugatuck's Blueberry Maple Stout, though exciting in concept, was disappointing. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it in the right setting. Perhaps I had the wrong expectation. But I think this beer could be so much more than what it tasted like to me--a coke-stout with some flavors added.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with a cola head that fizzes away immediately, slightly carbonated

Smell is of maple, chocolate, blueberry pancakes, sweet, licorice?

Taste is more of a woodsy earthy maple than a sweet maple, still sweet, chocolate covered blueberries, slight ash, vanilla?

Overall a fantastic beer, would be a great way to compliment a dessert or a great way to compliment some blueberry pancakes on a summer day. Would of liked it to be thicker

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.88/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Caution... SWEET! And sticky! Definitely a dessert choice. I'm not a fan of sweet beers , but the maple notes are nice. There is a slight hint of blueberry, but not over the top.

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Came in a standard pint a dark cola color with a creamy half finger beige head atop.First whiff off maple dipped blueberries was the kicker for me,not artificial sweetness in my opinion but of the real deal,very inviting.Creamy and inviting with caramel mixed in to the maple and sweet/tangy blueberry flavors.It did get a little sweet and sticky after a bit but I mean it's a blueberry maple stout.Loved it.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received in a trade.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep dark black with a one finger mocha head that faded very quickly to leave a thin halo and light wisps.

S - Aromas of chocolate, blueberry jam, super light maple (more woodsy than sweet). Strong metallic aroma, light roast. If not for the metallic twang going on the nose would be rather solid.

T - Taste is loads of blueberries and chocolate. Jammy blueberries and chocolate syrup. The maple is pretty nice with rather pleasant roasty malts. Definitely does taste like I'm eating some blueberry pancakes and washing it down with a chocolate stout.

M - Mouthfeel is on the thin side and the carbonation is high. I feel that this was the case in other Saugatuck stouts I've had before.

O - Overall this was a solid beer. If not for the metallic notes on the nose that would definitely be higher. Mouthfeel could use some work as well. That being said it's certainly a tasty beer and with those two things fixed this would easily bear Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry stout.

Serving Type: Bottle

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Blueberry Maple Stout from Saugatuck Brewing Company