Blueberry Maple Stout | Saugatuck Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by BecauseWhalezbro on 10-07-2015

Reviews: 64 | Ratings: 223
3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a goblet. 22 Nov. 2016 bottling date.

Pours with a thin, weak head that vanishes quickly. Near black body with attractive ruby edges.

Aroma: a delightful, swirling mix of blueberry jam, maple syrup, vanilla and pancakes.

Flavor: stronger than the aroma suggests with very clear and bright notes of blueberry and maple that are semi-naturalistic. Quite sweet although this tapers off to an acceptable level by the finish.

Feel: Very smooth, medium-full body with low carbonation.

Overall: should appeal to those who lament that other "maple" stouts have, at most, only a faint bit of maple.

4.56/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz nitro pour into a bulbous pint glass is a very dark brown/mahogany body floating an into IMG 1/2in cream colored head. Little to no head.
Aroma is blueberry, (fruit, not sugar), and if it is possible cream, but maybe that is the maple. Yes, after a little warmth, the maple aroma comes through.
Flavor is blueberry pancakes....Good ones....you know, from the 24hr diner and loaded with fruit, not that i-flop nonsense.
Mouthfeel is creamy, clean, goodness and an oily finish that only needs whipping cream.
Overall, Saugatuck has hit the mark. Can I get this in a waffle cone, please?

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This brew is AMAZING! If you like sweet stout beers you are in for a treat with this one. Not as fruity as I expected, but the blueberry is there yet not that overpowering. Maple/coffee notes and very smoooooth. Not a session beer......great for an after dinner desert quaffing. As far as fruit beers go my wife is a big fan of Leinenkugals Berry Weise. Too sweet for my tastes though

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Look. These are novelty beers plain and simple. While the Neapolitan had tremendous mouthfeel (probably should have scored it an 5) this has tremendous pancake aroma and blueberry taste. the aroma being perfect. maple? don't care, for me just means smells like pancakes. not an big fan of CBS either ... I will have this again simply for the aroma and the blueberry (my favorite fruit) or I'll just wait until summer, and have my blueberry pancakes (that's pancakes with real blueberry on top, not in the mix) .,.

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of blueberries, coffee. Taste is blueberries, maple, roasted malts, hints of smoke, fairly sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, it may be to sweet for some, but if you are looking for a dessert beer, this one hits the spot.

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I tried this from the bottle chilled in a glass on Christmas day.

The color is dark brown with opaque clarity and thick creamy beige head. The smell is very fruity with noticeable blueberry and maple in the aroma with a sweet scent. the feel is neither bad nor good -it starts with roast and mild fruitiness with moderate carbonation however the mid palate the sweetness emerges and a lot of residual sweetness is left on the palate which is almost syrupy.

The taste is not bad but the sweetness of the maple gets to me after the first 2 sips. The stout portion of the beer or the base is totally obscured by a sort of IHOP blueberry maple syrup flavor and leaves the palate sticky with candy-like sweetness. Overall this is worth a try but more of a dessert beer than pre Christmas lunch stout. I would not want to drink this again however it may be good if you split the bottle with someone - after 1/2 the bottle the sweetness got to me.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is dark malts, mild maple syrup and fruit/blueberries. The flavor is blueberries, dark/roasted malts, fruit, oily/maple syrup and a mix of tart, sweet and warming/acidity in the finish.

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The Saugatuck B.C. phase of the Bottle Backlog eradication here at Chez Woody continues with a bit of a curiosity. I will cop to having cheated and looked at others' reviews, but in doing so, my interest has been piqued. I enjoyed both of their previous beers in this horizontal tasting, but I am not huge on sweet beers, so this will be thought provoking as I must rate to style, not to taste.

From the bottle: "Malt Beverage with natural flavors and caramel color added".

Why did I include that last? Some reviews said that the flavors tasted unnatural, so I will be paying special attention to that aspect of the beer. First, however, I need to Pop! the cap. Once more, a heavy-handed pour seemed to be in order and it produced three-plus fingers of foamy, fluffy, deep-tan/light-brown head that slowly reduced itself to mere wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with caramel highlights at the edges. Nose smelled mostly of dark fruit, but I would not be able to name it as blueberry just from the nose. Mouthfeel was medium, a little thin for the style, IMHO. Wow, was the taste sweet! That said, I don't think that it was artificial. Now, I probably could identify the initial fruitiness as blueberry, but I was not initially getting maple and/or syrup. That came on the finish, which continued to be very sweet. The label depicted a lumberjack (he's okay) sitting down to blueberry pancakes with butter and maple syrup. Fair dinkum. I do not need to taste butter, but I wish that the taste had included more of a bready or biscuity flavor to perhaps cut some of the sweetness. For me, it was more of a dessert beer than something that I would drink in quantity. It was enjoyable, but just not my thing.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Paid about 3 bucks for the single at the house of 1,000 beers.

A - Appearance looks good very dark colored beer almost pitch with a 1/4 inch of mocha tinted head that clears rather slowly.
S - Initial smells are wonderful blueberry pancake goodness mixed with a nice does of sugary maple.
T - Not terrible it just comes off as decent. Maple is mixed well not leaving a dry finish but the blueberries come off more baked muffin than actual fruit. Some semi sweet chocolate and roast so it is a fairly easy going stout.
M - Creamy smooth and medium bodied.

Overall this beer is rather a good stout which mends very mild notes of blueberry muffin and some dry maple goodness. Not sure I would get it again but its surely not terrible.

3.52/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i had really high hopes for this. love the idea of blueberry and maple together, and have considered brewing something like this at home. the execution here is pretty mediocre, more credit for the idea than the actual beer here, my first from these guys. i wanted to like this, but right from the first sniff, it seems like the fake blueberry syrup you get at perkins, i mean, sweet and cheap, not like the real fruit at all. no idea how they added this element, but an extract seems likely. the maple is very sweet too, somewhat more authentic, but covered up a little in the taste by the fakey blueberry, and the balance just is off between the two. lots of body, lots of residual sugar, no way anyone is drinking more than one of these, even a whole one would be a lot for me. the maple is good, thats not the problem here, its the artificial blueberry flavor in way too high of a ratio that slows me down. overall a neat idea, but his should be a lot better than it is. i saw this being more delicate and nuanced in my head, and its not awful, but i am disappointed because its nowhere near its full potential i dont reckon...

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste: semi sweet maple and blueberry notes. Nose was like smelling Blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.
Black/brown opaque, nice lattice to the lace. Medium body, not super sweet finish.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Look-thick black color with 2 fingers of head that dissipate quickly.
Smell- Strong sweet blue berry muffin smell. Smells like a lollipop really.
Taste. Sweet blueberry pancake. Not overly sweet. Mild chocolate flavor.
Feel- Thick and sticky.

Overall- This a pretty good dessert beer. Very clean taste. Probably one of the better tasting blueberry beers I have had. Good stuff!!!!

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Mmm. Got me a sixer of these.

A chestnut pour yields an dark brown-to-black almost obsidian color. Khaki head is 3 fingers to start and plenty frothy. Recedes to a pinky after a few minutes.

Smells like a warm Christmas morning, with a stack of blueberry pancakes with maple syrup. As it warms a touch it brings out some bitter dark chocolates and roast/burnt malts.

It tastes like chocolate-drizzled blueberry syrup-soaked pancakes with a side bowl of roasted barley. Some mild acidic notes and milky lactose complete the breakfast setting with coffee and creamer. The roast does win out in the end, but the sweetness is there and quite impressive.

Feel is mildly creamy, milky, roasty, and semi-dry. A bit on the thin side, but that's okay. Finishes medium bodied with a delightful stickiness remaining.

Overall, a knockout breakfast stout. Great for mornings or evenings, or heck...both in the same day. With the addition of bacon, this would be the quintessential morning beer. I think it's good, not phenomenal, but I'll say it like this - I'd have brought back more if I knew it was limited and I had bag space. One bottle broke on the flight which made me upset, but I still got plenty to go around. And no, I probably won't be trading these!! lol.

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought this one on a whim. The blueberry is stronger in the aroma. The flavor is heavier on the maple and malt, with a rich, smooth mouth feel. I'm not going to sit and drink a six pack, but it is a nice bottle for a little variety at a gathering.

4.26/5  rDev +9%

On tap. Look is opaque purple black. Smell ... Oh my maple syrup and blueberries for days. This is going to be interesting. Taste is more of the same and then some. Piles and piles of blueberry maple syrup. Sweet and lots of it. Like diabetes sweet. If there are any stout style roasted malts they are blown away by the sweet. Other reviews note the thin feel, and I concur. The carb is low, but there is still this strange fizzy hard candy aftertaste, more of that sweet. This thing is an alcopop in a complimentary way. Not my style at all and 1 is way more than plenty. But certainly sucker your non-craft friends into drinking this "stout" and then give them a real one later after they think they like the style

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with a maple hue. Frothy tan head dissipates leaving a thin film on the beer.

Smell has notes of roasted malts, maple and sweet blueberries. Strong blueberry aroma.

Taste follows the nose with a strong blueberry flavor. Giving way to hints of maple syrup and roasted malts. The blueberry flavor is actually pretty good - its reminiscent of blueberry pancakes. Its also very strong making the other flavors hard to discern at times.

Feel is rather thin for a stout. Mild carbonation, almost not enough. Pretty smooth otherwise and drinkable.

Overall I initially thought it was kind of a gimmicky breakfast beer - but I was intrigued, and honestly its a solid breakfast beer. Pairs real nice. But the feel is off and the blueberry is really strong. Not that its bad, its just that it makes one beer plenty.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Blueberry Maple Stout on tap at Zeta Brewery in Jax Beach. One of about 10 guest taps. It was served in a standard pint glass, the beer is a very dark brown with garnet highlights.

The aroma is of roasted malt, dark fruit and some blueberries.

The berries are more prominent in the taste as they take the lead over some dark roasted malts, a hint of coffee and coco and maple. The Maple emerges late and then becomes more assertive as the beer warms. The sweetness of the maple is held in check by the bitterness of the roasted malts and the blueberries. Really nice job by the brewer tying all these elements together. Much better than expected.

The mouth has some heft and is silky.

I liked this one a lot.

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a pitch black, with thin tad head. Very little lace at all.

Aroma: Pure maple syrup, with a little char or cocoa. Very nice.

Taste: Very maple-y, with some minor notes of the blueberries or burnt malts. The maple seems little artificial tasting, but really this is a pretty well-done maple porter and one I enjoyed tasting.

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

Naugatuck Brewing Co. "Blueberry Maple Stout"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating

Wow, what an interesting beer. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It starts off like a stout, delivers the maple flavor across the middle, and then finishes with a refreshing flourish of blueberry. I initially thought to myself "I could drink quite a few of these but unfortunately I don't think that's the case as it does build on you a little bit, with the maple and blueberry sticking around a little bit too long. It's got a soft carbonation, and a fair bit of body, so perhaps that helps to allow it to stick to the palate. To have just one, however, is quite the charm. For whatever reason it reminds me of camping in Maine, and relaxing after dinner as the sun set over Moosehead Lake. Nice.

4.87/5  rDev +24.6%

If you like blueberry pancakes and maple syrup, this beer is basically just like drinking that. No flavor is overpowering, they all compliment each other very well. I was worried that it would be one of those one and done type specialty beers, but it's not. It really is very drinkable. I am truly a fan of it.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Blueberry Maple Stout at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been meaning to try this beer now that I've actually seen it on the shelf I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design that goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark black color that takes on just a little bit of a dark brown hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy, slightly darker tan head that left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the blueberry being the first to show up and it imparts a fairly natural blueberry aroma that's followed by the maple syrup that's a little lighter than the blueberry but it imparts a nice maple syrup aroma that isn't too sweet. Up next comes a little bit of toasted and roasted malts with some dough yeast and sweet malts showing up in the background. This beer has a good aroma that lives up to it's name.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the blueberry still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but it's a good amount lighter and it quickly goes into the maple syrup which shows up a little more than it did in the aroma and it imparts a nice and natural maple syrup like flavors. Up next comes the malts which show up a little more this time, with more of a roasted flavor. but it also has a slight watery flavor. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a little bit of sweetness taking it's place with a maple syrup heavy aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish the blueberry showed up a little more.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little watery , medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it was a little less watery.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and nice example of the style, for the most part it was just as advertised and while I think the balance needs work in the taste it still did live up to it's name. This beer had ok drinkability, one is enough for me, it might start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it's good and the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is that the blueberry didn't show up a little more and I wish it wasn't a little watery. I might get this again and I wouldn't turn one down, I would recommend it to someone that wasn't some light blueberry and noticeable maple syrup flavors in their stout, but it's not a must try. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think with a little work on the taste and mouthfeel and this could be a pretty good beer. It's not a favorite Saugatuck beer and it's above average for the style, Nice job guys, this is a solid and unique beer, keep it up.

3.54/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 3/4 inch head of a tan color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of slight blueberries, wood, sweet malt, slight roasted malt, chocolate, and an unusual aroma (is that supposed to be maple syrup?). Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight blueberries, wood, sweet malt, slight roasted malt, again the unusual potential syrup tastes, and a hint of chocolate. Overall, good appearance, aroma and body dominated by the distinct potential syrup characteristic, and therefore the blend is poor.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A different taste on beer. Color like maple syrup. Small tan head. Small taste with blueberries and rich taste in maple syrup. Almost like drinking blueberry pancakes with a some malt added to it

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark body, mild tan head, short and fading quickly. Definite lacing.

S - Blueberry notes and malty sweetness. Maple is present, as well, but mild and backgrounded.

T - Sweet maple note, blueberry syrup, malt in the middle hinting at the pancakes. The close offers just a hint of bitterness.

M - Spiky carbonation. A bit thin.

O - Decent, flavorful and exactly what the name suggests. The main knock is that the stout gets partially buried under the layers of fruit and sugar. But an interesting experiment, certainly.

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%

Cola brown with a fluffy light tan head with no retention.

Smells kind of medicinal and chemically at first, a bit funky. Then it becomes reminiscent of Saugatuck's Neapolitan. Then the blueberry and butter elements come forward. There is no maple, but there is a bit of chocolate and biscuit.

Taste is more blueberry forward, followed by the tang of roasted malt. There actually is a bit of melted butter on pancakes. The flavor is more like blueberry syrup, but not maple.

Body is frothy, but thin at the same time.

Blueberry Maple Stout from Saugatuck Brewing Company