Snow Wizard Oak Aged Brown Ale | Saugatuck Brewing Company

Snow Wizard Oak Aged Brown AleSnow Wizard Oak Aged Brown Ale

Saugatuck Brewing Company
saugatuckbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

An Oak Aged Imperial Brown Ale with tons of oaky, woody flavors. The base brown malt profile provides a huge caramel, coffee and chocolate body with minimal hop bitterness match perfectly with the complex flavor profile of the oak chips.

Added by Zaphog on 11-20-2015

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%

Got this in Puducah, KY.

Having had this twice now, I can verify how impressed with this beer I am.

Earlier this evening, I had Dogfish Head's Indian Brown (7.2%) and although it was good, it did not have the mouthfeel or overall complexity of this beer.

This has a great appearance, a complex aroma, a great mouthfeel and taste. I'm glad I have four more.

First impression: Overall, I was impressed with this beer.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

This brown is way better than you might expect. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and depth of this brew.

It is not a flashy looking beer, just deep brown with little head. Clear but dark. The aroma is a mild barrel aged smell on top of a nice balanced malt and hops smell from a brown ale.

The taste is a nice, not too sweet but balanced malty effect. Very little bitter pokes through, but it is there. Again, nice balance. This is a very drinkable, more interesting than the norm brown ale. Highly recommended.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I bought a bottle of this off the single shelf at Binnys. It poured a rich mahogany with thin off white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had nice oak and hints of bourbon. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with bread base and oak barrel hints. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a solid beer and worth a try.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I recently did a horizontal run-through of six or seven Saugatuck beers as a part of the Bottle Backlog Purge here at Chez Woody so when this one hit our market, I snatched one up for consumption & review.

From the bottle: "Illustrated by @CrocodileIsOutLate".

I Pop!ped the Snow Wizard right in his cap. This did nothing to endear me to him, so I grabbed him by the neck and upended him to begin a steady pour of his contents. This created a pseudo-cascade resulting in the formation of two fingers of fizzy, foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head that was falling faster than a snowflake in a hailstorm. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27, although closer to 22) with NE-quality clarity and Deep Amber highlights, but the Snow Wizard looked a little pale after the way that I had treated him. Nose was very oaky, okay? Sorry, I could not resist. It was oaky, though, with dark chocolate and black coffee underlying the oakiness. Mouthfeel was medium, but very silky and smooth in the mouth. The carbonation was light and not at all prickly, allowing me to kind of roll the beer on my tongue. The taste was less coffee and more towards dark chocolate, but the oak chips imparted a coconut-like flavor that added up to a liquid Mounds bar! I'll be frank - I am not big on sweets, but my late Pops loved dark chocolate and I can get behind that, I like both Mounds & Peppermint Patties, both of which are enrobed in dark chocolate. Milk chocolate just gives me the willies and leaves me as cold as the Snow Wizard. Warming, it began to take on a caramel flavor, but not so much as to be sweet, just noticeable. The finish was a pleasant mélange of rich, dark flavors and the oak was like the icing on the cake. I have yet to dislike a Saugatuck beer!

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Snow Wizard Oak Aged Brown Ale from Saugatuck Brewing Company