Boathouse Stout | Saugatuck Brewing Company

good

Saugatuck Brewing Company
saugatuckbrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by mcallister on 02-27-2007

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.02/5  rDev -12.5%

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Well I was in the area and heard about this place and so I thought ...why not. Let me tell you why not. I knew it was going to be bad when I asked the waitress about their selection of beers. Her response. " I don't know a lot about the varieties"...so ... She hands me a handwritten slip with the beers listed. Geez thanks for the help. Since my tastes lean towards porters and stouts I thought I would try this one. It poured a very dark color with nice head and had a good roasted smell. So far so good. I thought the taste and mouthfeel was too much on the creamy side for a stout. This leads to me not feeling the drinkability was up to the level a stout demands. I will be going back in a few weeks maybe the next sips will be better.

4.13/5  rDev +19.7%

Black solid beer...creamy head. Poured and looked like Guinness. Aroma consisted of mild chocolate malt and coffee. Flavor was mild and very smooth... not very strong or overpowering. Enjoyed drinking it! Had one of there signature sandwiches with it. Bavarian Ham on Pumpernickel bread it was amazing and perfectly pared with the beer. I was very impressed with it all.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

A very "Guiness" style dry stout. Beautiful head and wonderful aroma. That is the good news. Not a lot of flavor like I would prefer from American stouts. Feels a bit thin on the tongue.

My first time visiting this brewery and they have several other better beers. Too bad not all can go home with!

Not my favorite but if you like Guiness style with a bit more flavor you will probably enjoy this one. I won't be ordering it again.

Boathouse Stout from Saugatuck Brewing Company