Oaked IPA | Round Barn Brewery

roundbarnbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2008

3.24/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz bottle, thanks to my sister-in-law, Ann, for buying this for me while on a trip to Michigan.
A - hazed tangerine colored ale topped with a foamy ivory colored head that hangs around awhile
S - charred oak, vanilla, mild fruit - orange and grapefruit perhaps
T - fruity again here with apricot, grapefruit, mandarin; some caramel malt; a bit herbal, a bit piny, oak and vanilla notes add some depth, but I'm not sure how well the flavors meld
M - medium body, lower carbonation, finishes semi-bitter
O - just ok for me. I never think an IPA needs to be oaked, but that's just my opinion.

3.17/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle:

On the nose are ambiguous malt notes, reminiscent of a Lager.

On the palate, the "oaked" character comes across more like ginger, a note which even dissipates with slight spice on the back of the palate. There's not much else; not impressively hoppy, and that same ambiguous malt from before reluctantly shows up before altogether disappearing, leaving the ginger behind, cloaked in an odd sweetness.

Very light body for an IPA.
I wouldn't turn this down if it were handed to me, but I wouldn't seek it out, and I won't buy it again.

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a golden-orange body with a thin wispy white head and a quick carbonation.

S- The mellow woody hops has some green spice notes to it with a raw oak hint in the finish.

T- The mellow hops has a soft wet oak note to follow with some spicy oak flavor growing in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a gentle fizz.

O- This beer has a nice simple balance of hops and raw oak that really is quite sessionable.

3.89/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1.25/5  rDev -65%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I tried it on a customer recommendation. Poured out light muddy. Head dissipated very quickly. Smelled alright. Taste was like non-flavorable, it was not chilled too much to take the taste away, but I've tasted better from a big box store. Definitely not craft worthy.
just a warning, in my opinion

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.87/5  rDev -19.6%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

This pale orange-brown beer, ostensibly an IPA, is surprisingly light in all respects: not strongly oaked, not strongly hopped, but—nevertheless—a very, very well-balanced effort. Solidly sweet, with a clean, wine-hop nose that asserts itself strongly, this ale hints at its oakiness and hides its IPA notes significantly. It may, in fact, be mis-categorized; but, irrespective of that issue of nomenclature, the beer itself is quite good. A nice gift to receive—from a brewery I've never visited and of which I'd never heard—this is a very drinkable beer, especially in autumnal moments when a sweet, woody brew is the perfect pair to crisp, cooling air.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.06/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Round Barn Brewery's Wood Oaked IPA last week for $2.89 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've only had a couple beers from Round Barn and so far I haven't had the greatest luck with them, but this one caught my eye and I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple with the wood being represented in the background, but I think the name Wood Oaked IPA is a little redundant and stupid, it's not too eye catching. It poured a cloudy darker golden color and it took it more of a copper color when held to the light with a a little over a fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but i wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the oak being the first to show up and it imparts some woody, oak and light vanilla like aromas that lead right into the malts which impart some nice toasted malt, caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas, Up next comes the hops which are on the lighter side and they only impart a slight spicy hop aroma. The aroma was ok, but it didn't really have enough hops in the aroma to live up to being called an IPA.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toasted malts seeming to stick out the most and there's some light doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the oak which shows up nicely and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish comes the hops which barely show up and they impart that same light spicy hop aspect with just a slight bit of bitterness and not even close to the amount that I would expect from the style and it had some malty and oaky flavors in the aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, but the hop aspect was really lacking and that held this beer back.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of an Oaked IPA simply because the hops hardly showed up and I think it would be hard for me to guess that the base of this beer is an IPA if I tried it without knowing what it was. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention so I think one would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were equally nice and along with the oak flavors and aromas they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hops, it was just hard to distinguish this as an IPA with such a light hop profile and hardly any bitterness to match it, that was this beers biggest downfall. I might try this beer, if I knew for sure it was super fresh, but with no bottling date or local distribution I don't see that happening anytime soon. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Oaked IPA and I don't think it's that hard to find a better example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't what I was hoping it to be and in the end it left me wanting a lot more hops. Oronoko Stout is still my least favorite Round Barn beer, but this might just be my new least favorite Oaked IPA. and I'm still not a fan of this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work and some more hops.

Oaked IPA from Round Barn Brewery