Oaked IPA | Round Barn Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2008

1.25/5  rDev -65%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I tried it on a customer recommendation. Poured out light muddy. Head dissipated very quickly. Smelled alright. Taste was like non-flavorable, it was not chilled too much to take the taste away, but I've tasted better from a big box store. Definitely not craft worthy.
just a warning, in my opinion

2.32/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Brand new brewery to my area, drinking with full memory of the Great Divide Oak-Aged IPA from Firkin a couple years ago. Right on. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises coconut shavings, light mushroom, and a touch of biscuit. The hell...? The taste brings in more of the same, with less of an earthy character (so long, shiitake) and more of a plain oak one. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, I have no idea what happened here, but it sure as hell doesn't seem like any oaked IPA I've ever come across before, much less many normal IPAs, for that matter.

2.74/5  rDev -23.2%

Had on tap at the tasting room exit 6 off I-94.

A: Pours a clear gold with a finger of white head.

S: Hop aroma followed by a hint of antiseptic and fresh raw oak.

T: Light earthy-woody oak upfront followed by complex hop flavors. Piney and some citrus.

M: Light body with good carbonation.

O: This was aged with oak granules(WTF) I thought the oak used in this was fresh and gave it some bad flavors.

2.87/5  rDev -19.6%

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured to a one fingered head that didnt hang around very long. Left some lacing. Head was slighly offwhite in color. IPA itself was golden in color and had some brownish notes. Smelled very light. Maybe some citrus. I thought it tasted very light also. Just some citrus. Not really hoppy. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste that hung around awhile. Felt good in the mouth. I thought carbonation was right. I dont know what the alcohol content is, the bottle didnt say. I think you could make this a session beer. I didnt feel the alcohol content was as high as other IPAs I have tasted.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle:

On the nose are ambiguous malt notes, reminiscent of a Lager.

On the palate, the "oaked" character comes across more like ginger, a note which even dissipates with slight spice on the back of the palate. There's not much else; not impressively hoppy, and that same ambiguous malt from before reluctantly shows up before altogether disappearing, leaving the ginger behind, cloaked in an odd sweetness.

Very light body for an IPA.
I wouldn't turn this down if it were handed to me, but I wouldn't seek it out, and I won't buy it again.

3.02/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a clear, light amber color with a large white head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is really strange. Definately not IPA-like. What the hell is that... nutmeg? cinammon? Smells like a winter warmer as strange as that might be. Maybe it is the oak that is casting off these aromas. I do pick up some wood under the other things. The flavor is a little more traditional. But there are some off flavos as well. Some nice citrus and pale malt flavors. Not as hopped up as an American IPA should be and bitterness is a bit low. I do not want to completely trash this beer so I scored it a 3 as I did enjoy the flavor overall. The body and carbonation were both done well. Could stand to have a little more body though. I would really like to try this beer again just to see if I got an aberration.

Oaked IPA from Round Barn Brewery