Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout

From:
Otter Creek Brewing

Vermont, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 402 | Ratings: 1,007 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by cjtuggle:
4.31/5  rDev +7.7%

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Dark chestnut with a generous infusion of crimson. I'm able to see light on the opposite side of the glass, despite the fact that this is a dreary, overcast day. The head is the color of toasted wheat bread; fairly light for a stout. It has deflated from two fingers to one finger in the several minutes since the pour and doesn't look as if it's interested in leaving much lace.

The nose is right on the money for an oatmeal stout. I can't appreciate oatmeal (obviously), but I can appreciate plenty of well-roasted barley with strong overtones of bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Especially the last of those. Please let the flavor follow suit.

It does, it does. Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout packs gobs of flavor into a relatively light-hued, light-bodied beer. Black coffee, unsweetened baker's chocolate and grapefruit zest lead the way. I can't tell if the invigorating bitterness is due to the bitter char of the strenuously roasted grain (barley, wheat and oats) or is due to the hops (Hallertauer, Magnum and Cascade). Probably both.

The beer is almost, but not quite, bitter and dry enough to be considered an Irish dry stout rather than an oatmeal stout. There are just enough malt sugars running interference to keep things from becoming astringent and biting. Hopheads should find plenty to like.

Unfortunately, the mouthfeel doesn't quite meet the high bar set by the aroma and the flavor. If you like your stouts light and snappy, you'll like this one. I like mine full and chewy (or at least heading in that direction), so I'm less than impressed. It's more than adequate though, and works in the grand scheme of a sub-6% stout.

Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout is the second best Otter Creek/Wolaver's beer that I've had to date (Otter Creek Pale Ale still wears the crown). It's a fine effort that is good because it delivers where it matters most: flavor. Sessioning this one should be no problem at all.

4.54/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a deep dark brown with hints of red around the edges and a slight tan head that quickly fell. Fresh gound coffee, toasted malts and dark chocolate to the nose. The taste was of coffee, excellent toasted malt flavors, bittersweet chocolate and a slight hoppy bitterness at the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth, creamy, and not too thick. Very drinkable brew, if I do say so myself. This one is a definite winner.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Served ontap at Bocktown in a pint glass. Brown body with an off white head that recedes to nothing.

S. Not too strong just some roasted malt and coffee aromas.

T. A wonderful roasted malt flavor and some oatmeal flavor/texture for sure making things smooth and a bit sweeter. Good depth of flavor, no prescence of off flavors and no trace of alcohal in the taste. Coffee, cocoa, roasted malt and oatmeal. Smokiness. Deliciousness.

M. Smooth silky, full bodied. Tasty.

D. This is a very nicely done oatmeal stout and one of my favorites from the style. Nice to have it fresh on tap. Reccommended.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pours very dark brown with a two finger cream colored head. Dissipates to a light cap and lacing.

S - Chocolate and coffee are the main aromas. Heavy malts as well with a mild sweetness.

T - Chocolate at first followed by the coffee. Caramel from the malt moves in and out. A light sweetness with a hoppy bitterness shows throughout in the background.

M - Medium bodies with light carbonation. Nice for the style.

O - This is a good showing for an oatmeal stout. Nice, crisp flavors and aromas. A slightly heavier body would help improve it. Still, a good beer that I could drink all night, especially nice as it is an organic.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

My first oatmeal stout, but I’ve had quite a few regular old stouts. Pours a dark dream, a proper black, though the yellow brown head wouldn’t appear no matter how much distance I put between the mug and the beer. I usually have a difficult time getting any sort of distinct smell from beer, but this particular brew drew me in with the smell of roast, almost burnt coffee. Taste is marvelous, thick and complex. I detect chocolate, coffee, hops, oatmeal and other indeterminate tastes all intermingling together. Carbonation is subtle and subdued. This beer would go great with a real hearty meal, like steak and potatoes. Easy to finish and easy to drink, a beer I would highly recommend to most, and embellish on for organic food eating folk. And to think, I was never that great a fan of oatmeal!

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%

Let me start by saying I am not a coffee drinker. That said, I am sure that if I was I would have graded this beer much higher.
Poured from bottle to pint glass balck with some reddish hues and a minimal cream head. Smells like coffee and roasted malts. Tastes bitter like carbonated coffee. Did I mention I don't like coffee? I got this in a trade and I would never buy. I love a good stout but not one that is has such a dominant coffee taste.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz screw-cap bottle thanks to Sulldaddy. Poured a finger-and-a-half light-brown or tan head over a pitch black liquid. Smelled of freshly roasted coffee beans with a noticalbe backdrop of chocolate. Like the chocolate covered coffee beans my mother sometimes buys. Very rich roasted coffee beans. Tasted Chocolate to start with some sweet. Then a rich sweet rolling in with a coffee and a silky smooth body. Oh boy, this is enjoyable. The end is a bit roasty dry with a *very* faint floral hop rising up. Can't put my finger on the particular hop, perhaps Fuggles. I wish there were more to this beer other than chocolate and coffee, but that's about all I get (mostly coffee). True, there of several different kinds of coffee that roll around, but no other flavors arise to take me on interesting rides. Very enjoyable and very rich and potent in flavor. Md-thick body with mild carbonation. Fantastic lacing on the inside of my glass with a film of head still hanging over the top of the liquid. Has a very nice lactose sweetness throughout that likely comes from the silky smooth oatmeal used to make this beer.

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pours a dark opaque color with some reddish brown hues when held up to the light. A very thin head that disappears quickly. I expected a stout to have a better head.

S: Lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt.

T: Mostly chocolate and coffee, with some alcohol mixed in. Not really strong, but not weak either.

M: Left a weird sort of aftertaste on the palate that I could not place. I was eating steak (cause I am a fat guy) so I do not think my meal affected the beer aftertaste.

D: The aftertaste that was left on my palate really did not make me want to have another. It could be me. The initial taste is pleasant but the lingering aftertaste was not, for me anyway.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.24/5  rDev -19%

Had this in a four Oatmeal Stout taste-off between Samuel Smith's, Troeg's, Wolaver's, and Barney Flats.

Appearance: Almost headless. Slightly watery looking pour. Nothing special. Coca cola looking when held up to light.

Smell: Heavy duty smoked roasted coffee. Fireplace embers. Light dark chocolate sweetness.

Taste: Roasted coffee, dark bittersweet chocolate and chicory. Aftertaste turns to heavy, dark toast and warming smoke - tasty, but a bit uncharacteristic for the style. Roasted aftertaste becomes an overpowering burnt aftertaste after 1/2 a pint.

Mouthfeel: The taste makes it seem as if it should be chewy, but actually turns out to be a little thin.

Drinkability: Because it's not too heavy, it's drinkablility is very high for the style. However, it's overpowering aftertaste makes it hard to want a second pint.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

My last go-to beer store just got this on so gave it the old college try.

For once I can say an oatmeal stout actually tastes like well... oats. I've had a few in the past which were just stouts but I had one sip of this and it tasted like a warm hearty breakfast. Nice and creamy with a nice sweetness to it, tons of lacing and a nice dark color to it. The best Ive had yet from Wolavers.. I don't really care about the whole organic part but as a beer, its well above average.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.32/5  rDev +8%

If there is anything these guys do well, it's thier porter and stout. This is great. It pours a nice black colour with a frothy tan head. The aroma is of roasted barley with a bit of a coffee hint. The taste was a smooth coffee taste. It was complimented by a slight cocoa and earthy thing that was going on. Rather nice. Complex for a stout.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.64/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color. The head is a finger high, and lighter tan in shade. Texture-wise, it's a little foamier than I truly like, and its retention isn't amazing, either. Having said that, the collar that stays behind looks good, though there isn't much lacing left behind. (4)

Smell: Very grainy - oats play a big role in the aroma of this brew. The chocolate and roasted notes I like in the style are still prevalent, but secondary to the oat character. Pleasant touches of umami also appear. I'm digging this beer's aroma nicely. (3.75)

Taste: This is far more roasted than I anticipated. Oats appear initially, before being subsumed by a massive wave of charred roast. Smoky notes are slightly prevalent, too. It's not quite complex, but it's a damn nice roast bomb. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: Rather tingly and even biting on occasion - that's how dry this one is. And yet, a touch of lingering sweetness remains on the palate. If I had to complain (and dagnabbit, you know I do), the mouthfeel pre-swallow isn't quite creamy enough to compensate for the post-swallow stodginess. Still, it goes down easily, thanks to decent carbonation. (3.5)

Overall: This is a really nice oatmeal stout, mainly because of how roasty it is. I'll be sure to look for this one in the future. (3.75)

3.63/5: Ever been dropkicked by roasted malts before?

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%