Orange Dream Cream Ale

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Orange Dream Cream AleOrange Dream Cream Ale
Notes: Nick, Robbie and the rest of the crew spent some time dialing-in the citrus notes on our flashback-inspired cream ale and landed on something even the ice cream man would be stoked on. Look for a more potent punch of citrus up front with a nice, smooth vanilla finish that's made even more creamy from the addition of lactose.
Reviews: 25 | Ratings: 88
Reviews by Imakoniver:
4.09/5  rDev +12.7%

I had this on tap up in Burlington and it was incredible. Out of the can? It is just a decent beer. Some beers are like that. Rock Art’s Maple Wheat comes to mind as similar in that regard.

Out of the can, I don’t get the same citrusy initial pop that I did on draft. I do like the vanilla aftertaste but it finishes with a more bitter, hoppy ending out of the can.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am breaking out my box of Crayola crayons for New Colorful Beer Sunday (Week 646), drinking & reviewing some CANned beers with colors in their names. I had stocked my reefer with CANs for the 4th of CANuly & since I did not run through all of them as planned + I do not want to pull them out since they are already chilled, only one option remains - DRINK 'EM!

From the CAN: "Flashback-Inspired".

Man, I am like a little kid today! I loved Orange Creamsicles/Dreamsicles as a kid & the only time that I ever eschewed them was during the summer of 1976 when PennSupreme came out with "Boston Tea Party" tea-flavored pops for the bicentennial. I CAN't wait to Crack! open this CAN & have a flashback of my own! Once more, I got a spritz across my fingertips, going to show that even the bigger microbreweries are giving us more than our money's worth with brimful CANs. I went with an inverted Glug since it was a very fresh CAN. How fresh? I won't repeat what it suggested to me, but it was plenty naughty! I got two fingers of foamy, fizzy, bone-white head with low retention from the Glug, quickly falling away to wisps. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all clamoring for a taste. Nose was slightly citrusy, but I felt like it should have been more pronounced, since Orange got top billing. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it. The taste was definitely of vanilla and orange, but muted. If I was a kid, I would want LOTS of everything - lots of orange sherbet encasing that vanilla ice cream core, but I was not getting that kind of intensity in this beer. 8=( The vanilla was more prevalent initially with the orange really lingering on the finish to leave it semi-sweet overall. Evocative? Yes. Spot on? Not so much. YMMV.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

Things are likely to be changing soon over at Otter Creek Brewing, as they recently lost their hugely-visible head brewer, Mike Gerhart, who was picked up by Hill Farmstead a couple months back. Good for him, in all honesty, but it's kind of a shame because he nearly single-handedly revitalized the OC image and jumpstarted their rebranding, as well as put together a bevy of hop-forward, surprisingly-creative recipes that continuously get high ratings on this and other sites. Here's to hoping they can continue the OC renaissance without him. This is an interesting and off-the-cuff new beer, and, as I recall, the first to go to all of their current markets since Gerhart's March departure (though the idea behind it predates his departure by almost a year and was originally created by another brewer). A cream ale brewed with orange peel and vanilla, as the can dictates. Guess we'll see how they do with it!

Pours a clear-as-day golden colored beer with a small yet solid collar of fizzy white foam that retains for the entirety of the drinking session. Not much lace to speak of, but the color and clarity are perfect for a cream ale, and there's some decent carbonation rising consistently to the surface. Surface of the beer seems to be splotchy and moderately-hazy here and there, but nothing special. Still, a good looker with a clarity and composition that I'm overall impressed with, given the style.

Nose is a bit rough at first, but it's not without its charms. Right upon first pour I picked up a big dose of vanilla in there, with some creaminess befitting, well, a cream ale, but I also got a slightly "tart" or otherwise strange note that led me to believe this was off in some way. It's a little "cleaning product"-like but I think it's just the way the orange peel interacts with the rest of the recipe. It's not as bright or snappy as I wish it were, and it comes off a bit fake or forced in the context here. Still, I really like the light sweetness and playful approach to adjuncts here, so I think it still deserves a decent rating. The malt bill seems appropriate, with some biscuit-y and almost honeyed malt coming to the fore alongside the vanilla beans. Yeah, this is pretty decent.

Flavor is much better with a super-solid, thirst-quenching bright citrus flavor and a creamy, delicate malt middle. The finish is a little bit bitter but not overly so, and the vanilla provides a smoothness that keeps this grounded in the style. Each sip leaves me wanting a little more, and I can see this becoming a fairly good Summer crusher at its decent price point. Feel is mostly creamy and lighter-bodied but it does have some solid heft from the malt. Carbonation is a bit on the lighter side as well. I enjoy this and will enjoy several other cans while it's available!

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Translucent, slightly hazy straw with a foamy white head. Moderate retention rate with a residual ring of spotty white head, and some spotty lacing left.

S: Cracker, mild orange pulp, light grass, snappy wheat-like notes.

T: Cracker, slight honey, faint grass, pulpy orange drink, orange peel, just the faintest hint of vanilla. Crisp, lightly dry finish.

F: Light-bodied, slightly watery, moderate carbonation, slightly dry, extremely drinkable.

O: I wish I could see a bit more vanilla character, but this is a crushable orangey session beer.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can dated 05/12/17

Pours mostly clear yellow gold with a quickly receding frothy white foam head. Smells like sweet malty cereal grain, corn, orange citrus peel, vanilla, with spicy floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like sweet malty cereal grains, some corn, orange citrus peel, vanilla, with bitter spicy floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels light bodied, creamy with moderate high carbonation. Overall a nice cream ale with orange peel and vanilla.

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

Otter Creek Brewing Co. "Orange Dream Cream Ale"
12 fl. oz. can coded "0516175121/27/33(?)"
$2 @ Wegmans, Collegeville, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Searching through the fridge looking for just a simple beer to enjoy and not have to write an extensive review of I've come across Otter Creek's Orange Dream Cream Ale. The can has opened with a crack, and with a glut, glut, glut it's delivered me a hazy yellow gold body beneath a short head of creamy white. Unfortunately the head is dropping already; bummer. There's some orange in the nose along with some sweetish malt and it's bright and fresh and enticing. The orange carries through into the flavor and there's some acidity with it as well. It's grainy sweet, just slightly tart, orange-ish, and lightly vanilla-ish. Light-medium in body and gently crisp. I'm a little late to the party here, but this would've been a great summer beer. It's still fine on this rainy September afternoon but it makes me think of pool parties and the Beach Boys and having fun and I feel I missed out. On the other hand, would it have been a good beer for an all day deep sea fishing trip? Probably not, I'd have gotten tired of the whole creamsicle thing, but... it would have been good for one, and it would have been great at a backyard BBQ or camping trip as well. In the end I think it's nicely put together, well-balanced and rounded, and most importantly, it doesn't feel fake - the orange and vanilla come off as authentic. I've been liking what I've been finding from Otter Creek lately, they've really improved, and I'll have to keep my eyes out for more. Definitely for next summer though, I've got to get more of these.

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

3.31/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can...12/21/17 stamped towards the bottom.

Pours with a light haze, with bubbles continuing to rise..moderate cap and leaving just a few blobs of lacing.

Powdered sugar and artificial oranges notes on the sniff.

More oranges, syrupy sweet, not overly impressed here.

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Hazed golden pour with 1 finger of foamy white head. Falls fast... nice sticky lacing.

S: Light orange/citrus. Not a whole lot to the nose.

T/F: Light crackery grains... orange zest and citrus. Very mild bitterness... slightly floral... very faint vanilla at the finish. Light bodied and well carbonated.

O: An okay cream ale. Not picking up the orange/creamsicle they're going for terribly much... mostly just the orange. Not bad... lawnmower beer.

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.34/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can

O.k so Im going to be as objective as possible. Im a fan of cream ales, not a fan of brews with added flavoring. So here goes....

Pours put with a nice golden color, bubbly white foamy cap is moderate and dissipates pretty quick. Only a bit of bubbly covering leftover.

Ot smells like an orange creamsickle. Simple as that.

The feel is very light and crisp with a very nice creamy smooth finish.

The flavor goes like this: Orange>vanilla and cream>herbal and spicy kick from the hops. Done.

It all works pretty well, flavor's are clean and enjoyable for what it is. Not exactly my thing, but not at all bad for a gimmicky style beer.

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

From the mixed 12 pack from hannaford.
Slightly hazy deep gold color with a thin persisting tightly bubbled white head. Huge orange dominates the nose and the flavor. The first sip or two were fun but it got difficult to finish my glass. Too much wine cooler not enough beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice golden hue with a thin head into my glass. Grassy, citrus hops with orange peel upfront. Crisp with a hella good hop bite upfront. Creamy. Orange peel and grassy hops fade at the back. Easy going cream ale. They should offer it more often.

3.36/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle served in a can glass. Pours a dull, burnished orange with a semi-hazy clarity and a fizzy, 1/8th inch off-white head that immediately disperses towards the shoulders forming a tight band around the circumference and leaving a residual film across the surface. Nose is fairly subdued but reveals orange rind and earthy notes. Taste expresses muted orange and hints of vanilla. It does faintly suggest an orange creamsicle. Mouthfeel is light in body with an assertive carbonation and a slightly dry finish. All and all, a bit lackluster. Not bad, but not great either.

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. can dated 05-15-17. Sampled on July 4, 2017.

Mostly pale yellow pour leading up to a quick lasting fizzy white head. Bubbly carbonation.

I pick up a good supply of orange notes on the nose with some vanilla playing behind that. I also get barley grain and a sweet white bread character.

The body was light to medium and refreshing.

The vanilla bean they use seems to show up more in the flavor while the orange plays second fiddle. I also get a light citrus zing like lemon zest in the taste. Ends crisp and clean.

2.92/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Moderate to vigorous pour yields a one inch creamy white head over a slightly hazy yellow body with some lacing. Nose of citrus, primarily orange. Taste follows with flavors of orange and not much vanilla at all, maybe a little on the finish. Thinner mouthfeel than I was hoping for. Overall, fairly refreshing little brew here, nothing spectacular.

Orange Dream Cream Ale from Otter Creek Brewing