Otter Creek White Sail | Otter Creek Brewing

Otter Creek Brewing
Vermont, United States
ottercreekbrewing.com

Style: Witbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Spring

Added by Brad007 on 04-28-2007

Liked:
3.45/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm a sucker for nautical themed things, this beer suits that. Drank this out of the pilfered pint glass from Iron Hill Brewery on my stone wall overlook beautiful Lake Hopatcong. I figured you needed all these details.

A: Finger an a half head, beige/cream in color. Small bubbles intimidated by larger ones -- fades at a gingerly pace -- overcast yellow/yellow/orange color -- similar to pineapple juice.

S: Lemon and orange juice.

T: Orange juice with a tinge of grapefruit, all around summer citrus. Some spice in the swallow and aftertaste. Not much yeasty dryness.

M: Medium bodied with an approaching, but doesn't quite reach there, tingly carbonation.

D: This is a car washing beer, great on a Saturday or Sunday, or any day really as long as the weather is nice, and there's a good westerly breeze. Make sure it's a westerly breeze, or it just won't be right. Not the best wit out there, but nice nonetheless.

3.83/5  rDev +11%

a - hazy golden orange. the bottle stayed on it's side for a week and a bit of the sediment settled, I thought it might be moldy but all is well.

s - citrus, orange juice.

t - starts with orange, then comes the tang, and finishes with a little spice.

m - carbonated and light.

d - very drinkable...I want more.

3.77/5  rDev +9.3%

I poured the White Sail into my pilsner glass, swirling the bottle toward the end to stir up the sediment, which I always enjoy in an unfiltered beer.

The beer looks much like a good unfiltered apple juice, with an orangey-tan color, but a hair more translucent and luminescent. A bit darker than I would expect from a witbier. Its almost-white head quickly subsides, leaving a thin layer on top of the beer and some stray suds clinging to the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet, and coriander is present. The citrus zest is there, but so is something sweeter and appley. In keeping with the color, it seems a bit less light and crisp that I would expect -- somewhere between a hefeweizen and a witbier. Still, it smells yummy.

Taste is good, but nothing to write home about. It's balanced and has enough hop character to counter the sweetness with a light bitterness at the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. It seems a little under-carbonated, but goes down a treat.

Overall, it's completely drinkable. I wouldn't clamor for another if I had a wide selection at the bar, but a six-pack wouldn't last long in my fridge.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours straw yellow with an eggwhite head that sticks around pretty well.
Smells of lemon zest and a bit of yeast. Not too much else going on.

1st up in the taste is the lemon and orange flavors.Ttastes a bit yeasty with mellow maltiness throughout.

Mouthfeel is kind of thin. I think that I usually pick up more of a creamy mouthfeel...to me. Either way, its not a bad thing.

Decent beer. I'm really impressed with this beer because it was actually dated back in 5/08. Held up fine.
Regardless, its nice. Good solid beer.

3.52/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - Very pale yellow, somewhat cloudy. Disappointingly little head.

Smell - Lemon, orange, coriander, a bit of pepper and alcohol.

Taste - A lot of citrus bite up front, backed up with some wheat and yeast. Only a little spicy. A slight hop taste in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very crisp. Thin with fairly high carbonation.

Notes - This is a bit too citrusy for my taste. It's a decent enough wit, but it's not particularly noteworthy. It kind of reminds me of Shiner Hefeweizen.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a mild belgian white
with a little funk bite
a slight musty orange peel
and some peppery bite

a soft bitter finish
with a yellow straw pour

the smell is hay mixed with yeast

the taste needs a little more...
something
not sure
its simply not my favorite
a bit too much funk
yet perhaps if you like it

drinks easy enough
a little rasp from the flavor
nonetheless
its not bad

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Hi beer fans. Long time drinker, first BA review. Love the site...

Grabbed an Otter Creek variety pack for some change, and here's what I pulled out first:

Liked the substantial haze in the straw-colored liquid when looking through the glass into a light. Weak head with less than average lace.

Can definitely pick up the appropriate wheat dough, citrus and spice scent. Makes me want more.

The taste, while above average as hit hits the tongue and gets swirled is good. But it just seems to fall to pieces after that. There's an unflattering "macro brew" adjunct taste that elbows it's way to the forefront. This takes away a lot of the beer taste, leaving you clinging to the fruitiness alone.

For as light bodied (watery) as it is, there's a heaviness in the mouth after the drink and after the beer itself. Hold on, I'll be back after I cleans the palate with a Busch Light...

I think this (White Sail) is quite drinkable, and it would be nice out on a boat in the summer. But if the rest of the beer was as good as it looks and smells, we'd have a contenda here. I'm a fan of the Belgian and this just needs something to get me into the fan club.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

Picked up as part of a sampler pack. Not being a person who is a big fan of beer with a fruit taste to it, I was hesitant at first. Hazy in appearance.

Pours a light head with minor lacing and lasts suprisingly long. Has a light citrusy taste but not overpowering and very refreshing.

Excellent drinkability. I think i will be looking for more once the four from the sampler pack are gone.

3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this in an Otter Creek mix pack.

Pours a nice hazy golden, with a solid finger head to it. Has a slight apple smell to it, not sure if it was oxidation or what, but it's actually not bad. Taste has some citrus and some light hops, pretty enjoyable stuff but nothing too attention-grabbing. Good drinkability, I'd have it again.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Calling Middlebury, Vermont home, Otter Creek Brewery has been brewing some rather good craft beers since 1991. Personal favorites from their offerings are the Pale Ale and the Stovepiper Porter, each of which is a pretty solid beer in their respective line.

With the recent emphasis upon Belgian Whites sweeping the nation with force, Otter Creek's White Sail was tasted for comparison to some of the other "Blue Moon variety" beers that are out there.

The White Sail was poured from a twelve ounce brown bottle. The initial aroma of the beer was highly noticeable with a large amount of citrus present in the nose. The citrus seemed to overpower any wheat smells once the beer was poured into a glass.

The pour was noted to be a mildly cloudy pour with a golden haze color observed within the glass.

The beer poured quite well and did not exhibit large amounts of carbonation upon pour. There was a rather decent head upon pouring the beer that quickly faded to a thin lacing that was for the most part miniscule once sipped.

White Sail certainly welcomes the drinker with a rather upfront infusion of orange peels and coriander. The beer has almost too much citrus and not enough spice but certainly is not as citrus tasting as say a Leinenkugel.

Though there is a decent amount of wheat taste noticed in the White Sail, this offering certainly does not maintain the same emphasis upon the wheat taste as does something along the lines of Paper City Brewery's Cabot Street Wheat.

The White Sail is remarkably smooth from pour to taste and maintains an overall enjoyable nature to drinking it throughout the pour. The beer is certainly meant to serve as a beer that is very refreshing in nature and light in character and would be the ideal summertime session beer that both the ladies and gents might enjoy while sitting around a fire pit.

Though the Otter Creek website recommends perhaps serving this beer with a wedge of orange, on behalf of beer drinkers everywhere I would ask that you keep your fruit out of my beer. I don't see any reason to adulterate this beer with produce as it would not add anything to the beer.

All said, White Sail, although not the best Belgian White on the market, does prove to be a moderate contender in a beer genre that is quickly becoming saturated. While a bit more emphasis on finding the perfect spice combination to the citrus flavor could have been focused on, White Sail all in all is worthy of trying should you find it at a local package store or pub near you.

Otter Creek is certainly well known for producing a line focused on above average offerings, and White Sail certainly meets that standard.

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at Mr Up's in Middlebury VT

poured into a pint glass

A--cloudy straw color nice 1 finger head
S-- nice citrus fruity smell orange and lemon
T-- very clean orange or lemon zest and some spice to finish the bite.well balanced wit
M-- very light and clean smooth no lingering tastes
D-- VERY dangerous on a hot summer day

This is a classic wit and it does the style proud

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

I live in New England during the summer and even have a Otter Creek glass but was not very fimilar with their beer so I picked up this very reasonably priced white beer to try it out.

The color is very light with a slight yellow tint but mostly white. The head leaves a little too quickly, not much retention. The smell was great and made me think I had really grabbed a winner here. Nice and flowery, citrus, orange peel.

The taste was fair but finished a little too light for me, I really would have liked to get a little more of that orange peel I smelled in the taste. Although this is a beer you could drink all night, the ABV isn't listed but its low for sure. A good white beer for the price.

3.91/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours fairly pale and slightly hazy from the wheat.

Smells sweet and fruity.

The smell beats the taste on this beer, although the taste is not disappointing. The beer has clear hues of orange and spice. It's similar to a Blue Moon, although I find it superior and far more drinkable. The sweetness of the beer does limit the drinkability, but it goes down very smoothly.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

Good looking beer with golden color and half inch head. Lacing line the glass while I taste hints of citrus and banana. Crisp clean finish with an easy mouthfeel that encourages you to finish the beer. Quite drinkable and suitable for a hot summer day.

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

Golden/amber in color, soft white head even after an agressive pour.

Very slight orange and herbal nose.

Very crisp taste, classice wit bier taste with a hint of coriander.

Very nice, smooth, and light bodied beer.

Highly drinkable, nice and refreshing. I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting without any trouble.

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance - Generally looks like a witbier, a little bit more muddy than Blue Moon or Hoegaarden. Barely developed any head when properly poured into a glass.

Smell - Oranges, slightly lemony

Taste - This is where this beer fails. Blue Moon is probably my favorite example of this style, Hoegaarden is OK but has a lot of spiciness and a slight metallic bitterness. This beer has a dull spiciness and tastes very metallic. Very "thin" taste. Has a slightly stinging aftertatse.

Mouthfeel - Fairly light carbonation.

Drinkability - I don't think I'll have any more of this. My favorite Witbier (and beer in general) is Blue Moon so keep that in mind.

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Very drinkable beer, though the drinkability comes at the expense of mouthfeel. It is an exceptional example of a witbier. Flavor is complex. I would reccomend this beer to my girlfriend or a macro-drinker looking for something as step towards expansion of beer horizons.

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Light gold and cloudy - what I would expect from any witbier, however the head was a little weak and seemed to dissipate quickly.

S - Light citrus smell, refreshing.

T - Good taste on the tongue initially, spices, citrus. Left me wanting a little more taste after the swallow.

M - Slightly watery, but if felt nice after working on our landscaping all day. After the swallow it had a bit of a bite that I didn't appreciate.

D - Could end up drinking all 6 of these tonight, and I'm sure I will. It's refreshing, but I probably won't be purchasing it again.

Hopefully that review was decent, my first one!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last