Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter | Otter Creek Brewing

ottercreekbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

4.97/5  rDev +30.4%

Used to drink this beer over lunch in the winter while working downtown in Rochester, NY as a respite from the daily monotony of my editorial job. I didn't have it for many a moon until two nights ago and found it to be even better than I remember it. The taste is not overly complex, but strong and flavorful with a nice roasted aftertaste. It goes down really easy and despite being a dark porter is the sort of beer that I could drink many of without getting too filled up. I rate this beer as one of the highest quality that I have had in a long time and look forward to having many more! Cheers!

4.87/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First experienced on tap at Mad Mountain Tavern, this porter convinced me, in a good way, that there was soot in the recipe. One of my all-time favorite porters, it's with great sadness that I learn it is no longer being produced. For that matter, MMT is closed as well. So goes the impermanence of life I suppose.

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%

There are a ton of flavors going on in this brew. Nice fresh hops flavors greet you at the door, roasted malts take you around and the trademark Otter Creek yeast bite says hello now and again. Take away the Otter Creekness and you have something very similar to Sierra Nevade Porter. A great beer.

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%

At first I was not sold. I actually didn't care for the beer. But following a few more sips I realized just how good it is. I think it was the "smokey" flavor that threw me off originally.

A nice dark color with a nice malty smokey aroma. The beer goes down well and the more I drank it the more I found I really enjoyed it.

Has a fantastic coffee and toffee taste to the beer.

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%

This is an excellently crafted brew.
A: Deep mocha with a quarter inch off white head and light beautiful lacing
S: Hints of caramel and chocolate, smoke
T: This is truly elite in its balance. An aptly named porter.
M: Crisp and smooth.
O: One of my favorite Otter Creek beers and beers from anywhere ever!

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottling date 6/29/04. Good info on the beer and brewery on the label.

Stovepipe pours a deep chocolate brown, completely opaque in a pint glass. Tall, dark tan head forms and slumps quickly. Some smears of lace slide down the glass.

Aroma is huge with roasted malt, chocolate and hints of smoke. Some earthy hop fades in and out - great smelling Porter - very inviting.

Flavor is balls on style IMHO. Lush and semi sweet up front with complex notes of cherries, licorice, coffee and burnt caramel. Smooth and oily mouth feel, slightly thin ( draft is fuller) but nicely balanced with firm hop bittering .

Hop dryness blends with dark grain chalkiness in harmony to finish this off. Lingering bitter is off set by a tasty toffee kind of thing coating the roof of your mouth.

An outstanding porter that has long been one of the better American versions of the style.

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

With the exception of some Scandinavian porters I have had,
Synbrychoff, etc..)
Vermont easily comes in second place for best Porters. Both Otter Creek and
Catamount brew porters the way I believe they should be.

4.65/5  rDev +22%