Otter Creek Copper Ale | Otter Creek Brewing

Otter Creek Brewing
Vermont, United States
ottercreekbrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Our award-winning flagship brew inspired by the beers of Northern Germany. Copper Ale is a complex amber ale handcrafted with six malts, three hops and the spirit of the Green Mountains.

Added by stirgy on 03-17-2001

4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

This is just possibly my favorite brew of all time. Besides buying it in stores, my brother and I would make the 1-hour drive up to the brewery anytime he visited me in Vermont. When I left Vermont I had 6 empty Otter Creek Growler bottles. Very sad that they discontinued this beer as it was by far the best they have made.

First thing you notice is a nice slightly cream-colored head and a welcoming copper color. Then the roasted malt and somewhat nutty aroma draws you in. It has a very distinctive aroma from the Tettnanger hops used as aroma hops and for dry hopping. The taste, as you might guess is very hoppy to begin with, but just about the time the hops are about to get overwhelming, the malt flavors blossom and smooth it all out. This is a really nicely balanced brew. Finish is fairly dry with a slight lingering sweetness that makes you want to open another.

Sorry to see Otter Creek Copper Ale was discontinued when Long Trail bought them in 2010, but I have a good homebrew recipe for it, and I still brew it up myself from time to time.

4.84/5  rDev +33.7%

A - This one is indeed copper. It's also pretty clear with a one finger foamy white head that sticks around for a while and leaves tons ofdry sticky lace around the edge of the glass. A nice looking beer.

S - Huge and super-thick malt nose for a lighter colored brew! I smell burning leaves, old log cabins, toast, wet fire-wood, and burned corn flakes (seriously). Excellent depth of character!

T - Taste follows the nose with woody, leafy, and burny flavors. This tastes almost like a stout with all of the burnt roasted tastes, but it's sweeter and lighter than most stouts. If I was blindfolded, I would swear up and down that this beer is black. I also taste caramel and some supportive leafy and grassy hops that back up the autumnal buring leaf flavors quite well.

M - Moderately carbonated and light-ish bodied. This is pretty thin for such an intense taste. I think this would be better with a bit more body.

D - Superb! I could quaff these all night. Or day, whatever.

4.77/5  rDev +31.8%

pours bright new penny copper (go figure) and maintains a nice head with sporadic, rorschach lacing. nice.

the nose is really nice. i mean really. NICE. toasted sesame seeds? nearly burned molasses? so far, promises to be the best copper ale i've had. not a favorite style...another sniff and the dark dried fruit sweetness tips in

wow. muscat/muscadine wild sweetness tempered just right by the hops and the almost too carbonated sense...nope, it's right on as you repeat the process of sniff, then savor...for what it IS, this is stellar. yep, best copper ale i've had. now i want to retry some crappy ones to confirm...oy

highly recommended. this is the third i've had and they seem to taste better each time. impressive. obviously a fresh batch. this has the octoberfest beer in the sampler case. also has the (american) pale ale. may have paid a few extra bucks buying it here in PA, but already more than worth it :)

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is what real beer should be. A balance of malt, hop and yeast flavors. When I want to have a beer to drink or with just about any kind of food, I go for this. I was very disjointed to hear that. otter creek will be discontinuing this style, in order to make more IPA varieties. Haven't we seen enough of the super mega ultra hop beers? Beer is not supposed to be a bottle of fizzy hop bitterness. We need to save beers that feature a premium grain bill.

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%

This is an outstanding alt, with firm, complex character.

Light copper, is has a medium big, off-white head, steadily shrinking to a thin, foamy top, with a little weak, foamy lace.

Aroma is strong toasty barley and whole wheat bread crust, strong fruitiness, light leafiness, and yeastiness.

Taste is very fruity up front (plum, hint of raisin), with toasty barley, light leafiness, grain throughout. Light sweetness is balanced with light spicey-peppery bitterness and it is very nicely balanced. Feel is solid, fairly lively.

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%

On ode to Vermont beers. This beer is what got me to love craft brews. I was a poor college student and it was love at first sip. The amber color so clear and defined. The sweet, yet malted aroma got my attention. Then the flavor was exactly what I needed at the right time. Not overly hoppy or malty or sweet it was just right. Thank you Otter Creek for helping be the person I am today.

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

I really liked this beer.It has a deep gold color and nice pleasant smell.The taste is fantastic with what seems to be an aftertaste of butterscotch or caramel.I will buy this product again although I don't think you will be able to drink many at one sitting.One of my new favorites!!

4.51/5  rDev +24.6%

poured in to a pint glass.
beautiful copper color, crystal clear with an amazing rocky white head that has holes that make it look like swiss cheese.
beautiful nople hops flavors and aroma. perfect malt bitter balance.
dry and perfectly carbonated after i splashed it into the glass to release its head.
extremely likeable. great session beer with great complexity.

4.51/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz twist off bottle poured into a snifter - Acquired in a trade, probably brewed in Spring 2007

Appearance: Pours a reddish copper color with a tan head. The 1/2" head quickly fades and leaves behind a few bubbles in its wake.

Smell: Raw cocoa, sawdust, roasted peanuts, malt, ripe plum. Plenty going on here. Bold Aroma.

Taste: Nicely done. Maltiness and a little smoke at the start. A very pleasant roasted nuttiness through the middle and a dry, burnt popcorn ending. This is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Smoothe through the start and ends with a dryness accompanied by some alcohol.

Drinkability: I liked this beer a lot. I love beers that pack a flavorful punch and aren't huge alcohol bombs. Usually I find something this unique in an IPA or something hoppy. I wish I had a case of this stuff for the summer because it would become my quencher.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Another step in the quest for the perfect craft-brewed Alt. Rich amber color with a nice yet quickly disappearing head. Clear malt hits your nose as you raise the glass and the flavor is both rich malt with a subtle carmel sweetness that is at the same time just bitter enough to keep you wanting more. A tiny bit of hops presence; and a bit more carmel than some others (but both of these flavors pale in comparison to the strong malt flavors). Not truly complex, but excellent and very easy drinking. Extremely true to both the ale and altbier styles and would likely appeal to a wide range of beer tastes. Very good. And fairly easy to find where I am. So this one moves to the top of my list... for now.

Otter Creek Copper Ale from Otter Creek Brewing